• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
the kappa gods have heard me

wMnUi3b.jpg

wow..now that i think about it was holding it in the "non-fgc friends" mode.

xCobalt

I played with the "NO" style on a 360 pad before I got my fightstick. I can confirm the name is accurate.

I used the 360 analog stick for a long time before I switched to stick. It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. Some techniques are easier on stick but pad players can manage.

LakeEarth

When I try wineglass style, I can feel why it would be superior to standard, but I always revert to standard grip without thinking about it.

Trickster

I used the 360 analog stick for a long time before I switched to stick. It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. Some techniques are easier on stick but pad players can manage.

I would litterally get a sore thumb and have abysmal ability to execute stuff when I used a pad :p

Trickster

Man fuck vega and his full screen air grab than I can't block or air kick/punch. What the fuck am I supposed to do against that shit

And FUCK these guys with more than 5 times my pp that keeps joining my games for whatever fucking reason

Onemic

And FUCK these guys with more than 5 times my pp that keeps joining my games for whatever fucking reason

pp whores. The worst.

The best is when you beat them once and drop their pp by over 100 and the 5 times they joined you to gain a measly 5-10pp each time goes up in flames. Of course once they try to rejoin to gain back all the pp they lost I kick em out. :p

xCobalt

Man fuck vega and his full screen air grab than I can't block or air kick/punch. What the fuck am I supposed to do against that shit

I'm not familiar with Vega but if its anything like Cammy's or Guy's grab, you can just crouch and the grab will whiff.

I'm not familiar with Vega but if its anything like Cammy's or Guy's grab, you can just crouch and the grab will whiff.

nope.

you have to focus the wall dive. they can still grab you but if you initiate the dash right as they are about to touch you, it forces Vega to do the slash and you will armor through it.

Trickster

Why to I get a game against a green bar opponent that just like complete shit? Is the netcode just terrible at detecting how good a connection actually is ?

pp whores. The worst.

The best is when you beat them once and drop their pp by over 100 and the 5 times they joined you to gain a measly 5-10pp each time goes up in flames. Of course once they try to rejoin to gain back all the pp they lost I kick em out. :p

Myself personally I do it sometimes because A) there is nobody else to play and B) I want to practice my harder combos against real opponents(even if online). I do go into them thinking this is a free win so I play a little wreckless myself. But I have lost many matches to much lower PP players who were that bad and not just good players making new accounts. Most of the time it's them who disappear to avoid rematches though.

Trickster

So I just realized that balrog has a FULL SCREEN charge attack thingy, that ignore fireballs. That doesnt seem very fair to me...

those sinister <100 pp players who play like they are in grand finals in EVO

Mah PP ;-;

and then there's also the low PP player who has rudemntary skills and does the same setup and combos everytime. but. you. just. keep. walking. into. them. cause of a brain fart.

Onemic

Threw a fireball and pressed back, he used charge attack and bypased block. At least that's how I remember it happening.

Doing a fireball puts you in recovery. When he hit you, you couldn't block probably because you were still in the recovery frames of the move

xCobalt

Threw a fireball and pressed back, he used charge attack and bypased block. At least that's how I remember it happening.

The move doesn't even go full screen to begin with. It goes like half screen. I'm guessing your block string ended with a fireball and the balrog player did TAP after your last normal. The only other way you could have gotten hit by it was trying to challenge it.

Trickster

Doing a fireball puts you in recovery. When he hit you, you couldn't block probably because you were still in the recovery frames of the move

That I know. He was just saying I was doing something wrong If I got hit by it from fullscreen. But in my case I don't really see what I could have done differently, other than simply not throw a fireball agains't a balrog player.

Trickster

Is there a timing where it's safe to jump in on a knocked down opponent? Some people seem to be able to safetely jump in on me, without me being able to DP them even though I'm bassically spamming it.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Is there a timing where it's safe to jump in on a knocked down opponent? Some people seem to be able to safetely jump in on me, without me being able to DP them even though I'm bassically spamming it.

There are so many setups that can safejump a reversal or make it whiff. You can't wake up with a DP in this game unless you know your opponent didn't do a setup on you correctly.

How many characters have safe jumps vs 3 frame dp's?

You can't safe jump 3f DP's since the minimum recovery frames for any jumping attack in this game is 4 frames. You either bait with a empty jump or you have a set up that can beat DP's or force them to whiff. That's why even shoto's are afraid to DP's safe jump set ups without meter. If they guess wrong and don't FADC, they eat a big punish.

Then you have characters like Akuma, Viper, Cammy, and others who aren't safe jumping, but even shoto's refuse to try and DP because they'll get stuffed or their DP will whiff. And that fear allows those characters to pressure with jump in attacks.

Onemic

You can't safe jump 3f DP's since the minimum recovery frames for any jumping attack in this game is 4 frames. You either bait with a empty jump or you have a set up that can beat DP's or force them to whiff. That's why even shoto's are afraid to DP's safe jump set ups without meter. If they guess wrong and don't FADC, they eat a big punish.

Then you have characters like Akuma, Viper, Cammy, and others who aren't safe jumping, but even shoto's refuse to try and DP because they'll get stuffed or their DP will whiff. And that fear allows those characters to pressure with jump in attacks.

If they'll get stuffed or their dp's will whiff, isn't that technically a safe jump?

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Well Honda can :D

He also has a safe crossup against shoryukens from a forward throw.

Sorry if it seems like I'm linking my videos a lot but that's why I made them in the first place: to explain some things better

Weird. Is Honda considered grounded when he does j.HP that late?

Karsius said:
If they'll get stuffed or their dp's will whiff, isn't that technically a safe jump?

Safejump implies that you are able to block from a jump-in attack when your opponent does a wakeup move.

A setup to beat DP is different.

ie After a sweep against Ryu, Akuma can walk forward a little bit then do meaty command divekick. It beats jab DP clean and lets you confirm into a combo. It will make the other 3 DPs whiff as you land behind them. Ryu can't do a delay DP either since the divekick is hitting meaty.

Safejump implies that you are able to block from a jump-in attack when your opponent does a wakeup move.

To further elaborate on this, most people think of safe jumps as meaty jump in attacks used after a knockdown in which you can still recover and block if your opponent uses a 5 frame(or slower) invincible reversal. Most reversals with a lot of invincibility starts up in 5 frames or more and the minimum recover from a jumping attack is 4 frames so you get at least 1 frame to land and block if you set it up perfectly. These set ups means you don't have to worry about Sagat or Cammy hitting you on wake up as long as you're holding back during your safe jump so it basically gives you assurance of free pressure on their wake up.

You can also use option select during safe jumps to cover your opponents escape options like back dash. You can mix it up with empty jump throw or lows if you like since it will hit first before they can get their normal out. You just have to condition your opponent into blocking once they know you're using a safe jump set up. Some safe jumps are brain dead easy like Ryu's or Cody's holding up forward after a sweep and throw respectively. While others you have to whiff a normal or delay your jump by a few frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom