• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

xCobalt

Guile? Really?

ive dabbled in sf but never sat down and learned the game and I want to now

but I love rushdown characters in fighting games which is why I asked about that guess ill sit down with guile in trials mode or something to start

I think charge characters are the best to learn to the game with. It teaches you to be patient, learn to use normals and not allowing you to mash out special moves.

However, if you love rushdown characters, then use them. You won't have the same drive or motivation if you play a character you don't like.

Reillya

Neo Member
Old school SF2 player. Picked up SF4 on PC earlier today as it was half off. Spent a half hour in training with my old fav Ken. Bout to pass 1k battle or fight or whatever points for being ranked. MrSupafly on steam and Reilly Riles in windows live name. Would love to fight some gafs. I'm no pro but lower tiers I'm doing fine using old school spacing and timing. COME AT ME BRO =)

Now I just need a fight stick and stand up workstation. arcade style at home! =)

LakeEarth

Guile? Really?

but I love rushdown characters in fighting games which is why I asked about that guess ill sit down with guile in trials mode or something to start
Sakura is really good and can blow people the fuck up. Most of her links are 2-3 framers so they aren't hard, fun setups. They has some negatives, but if you want rushdown she's a good choice.

I am stuck in some lame loop

try to log into GFWL asks me to update the game
try to update the game it asks me to save the game. which requires me to log into GFWL
game wont let me log in until I update,

Someone got a work around for this? uninstalling/reinstalling leads right back into the loop

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am stuck in some lame loop

try to log into GFWL asks me to update the game
try to update the game it asks me to save the game. which requires me to log into GFWL
game wont let me log in until I update,

Someone got a work around for this? uninstalling/reinstalling leads right back into the loop

1. Ask to update. Back out/"Quit" the game back to the title screen.
2. Game will then update.
3. Log back into GfWL.
4. Continue to play game.

TAH-DAH?

Same shit happened with Dead Rising 2. Terrible patching system that doesn't match the 360's.

Dahbomb

Guile? Really?

Guile isn't rushdown. I mean he does have some rushdown but he isn't considered a rushdown character.

1. Ask to update. Back out/"Quit" the game back to the title screen.
2. Game will then update.
3. Log back into GfWL.
4. Continue to play game.

TAH-DAH?

Same shit happened with Dead Rising 2. Terrible patching system that doesn't match the 360's.

asks me to save after update before closing but i cant save because my profile hasnt been downloaded yet.

TheSeks

Yeah, the patching system is really funky. Thankfully in about 9 or so months you won't have to deal with that ever again if you get Ultra since it'll be Steamworks.

Dahbomb

So I have a few more Guile questions:

1) Is there any difference between his f+MK/HK?

2) How do I win zoning wars with Guile? Characters who have QCF fireballs can spam all day and if I mess up a charge I start losing momentum. I know I am supposed to close the distance with back + LK then do L Sonic Boom at close range, punish them with forward + HP.

3) Should I be using Guile's close HK to counter throws?

I think I am getting a hang of him I just need to learn these things:

*General Focus Attack game play. I don't really know how to effectively use it and worse I mess up my charges trying to counter hit with FA. In training mode I can do cr.MP into Flash Kick but in a match I have only done it a couple of times.

*cr.LP, cr.MP, Sonic Boom L blockstring/combo. Very hard link but now that I learned the plink I can somewhat doing. Still not something that is remotely close to reliable for me but I will throw out some strings.

*Comboing into ultra. Again this is part of the FA game. In training mode I have figured out that I have more success with back dash FA into ultra. Still not easy for me, I either mess up the dash or I mess up the charge.

yeah, F training stage. That's why I use custom soundtracks whenever I play endless, and if I actually feel like playing ranked I use the character themes.

xCobalt

So I have a few more Guile questions:

1) Is there any difference between his f+MK/HK?

F+MK is faster but F+HK can start combos and is unthrowable during the later startup frames.
2) How do I win zoning wars with Guile? Characters who have QCF fireballs can spam all day and if I mess up a charge I start losing momentum. I know I am supposed to close the distance with back + LK then do L Sonic Boom at close range, punish them with forward + HP.

To win the zoning war, you often need the life lead and more meter than the opponent. It's tough for Guile to outright win the fireball war but he can definitely match fireballs. You need to create situations where the opponent is forced to take a risk such as jumping in or throwing a badly spaced fireball. If you lose momentum, just neutral jump or focus the fireball and reset the situation. Also, don't be afraid to just walk forward and block. You don't need to rely on back+lk just because it maintains your charge. You'll probably get hit by a fireball if you try using that normal to get in.
3) Should I be using Guile's close HK to counter throws?
It's throw invulnerability takes too long to start up as an answer to throws (I think it starts at the 5th or 6th frame). It's pretty good against people who crouch tech a lot on wakeup.

*General Focus Attack game play. I don't really know how to effectively use it and worse I mess up my charges trying to counter hit with FA. In training mode I can do cr.MP into Flash Kick but in a match I have only done it a couple of times.

You definitely don't want to use FA to counter hit people...it's just too slow. Only a few characters are actually safe after a level 1 focus attack dash and Guile isn't one of them. As guile, you probably only want to use FA to build your ultra meter. If you actually crumple an opponent, try doing df+hk into flash kick or f+hp. It's probably easier and more damage than cr.mp into flash kick.

*Comboing into ultra. Again this is part of the FA game. In training mode I have figured out that I have more success with back dash FA into ultra. Still not easy for me, I either mess up the dash or I mess up the charge.

You don't have to dash out of the focus animation to do your ultra. Just do it as soon as you recover.

Veal

Man why do fighting games attract such assholes? I was playing ranked against this guy named MONEYFACTOR. He beats me a whole lot, but I managed to win a few decisively too. This is a huge change from when I played him in the past. I send him a "GG's! I learned a lot." This causes him to send "Obviously not, lol. Stop guessing. That's all I do with fuerte, just guess. I outskill you with Abel."

...Um no shit? That's your main. And it wasn't like I was gloating or putting him down. Sore losers/winners just bother me :/

MIMIC

Banned
Man why do fighting games attract such assholes? I was playing ranked against this guy named MONEYFACTOR. He beats me a whole lot, but I managed to win a few decisively too. This is a huge change from when I played him in the past. I send him a "GG's! I learned a lot." This causes him to send "Obviously not, lol. Stop guessing. That's all I do with fuerte, just guess. I outskill you with Abel."

...Um no shit? That's your main. And it wasn't like I was gloating or putting him down. Sore losers/winners just bother me :/

Are you the Fuerte player? (the way you worded that was a little confusing)

We should play :)

LakeEarth

Yeah I had one yesterday complain about me throwing too much, even though he won. He wasn't even good, but he YOLO'd himself to a victory. I "hunted" for him to destroy him but didn't get matched up with him again. It's always worse when you can't run it back.

... Fuerte, blanka, abel, ibuki, cammy players bring all the rage.

Veal

Are you the Fuerte player? (the way you worded that was a little confusing)

We should play :)
Sorry. He was the fuerte player. I usually play gouken. I never send hate mail unless you are a complete ass or are knowingly lag switching.

... Fuerte, blanka, abel, ibuki, cammy players bring all the rage.

692.gif

one of those is not like the others...

Man ERyu has all kinds of weird little tricks. I didn't know you could do an early jab DP on your opponent's wakeup right into Ultra midscreen. Don't mash tech!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";86420842]Man ERyu has all kinds of weird little tricks. I didn't know you could do an early jab DP on your opponent's wakeup right into Ultra midscreen. Don't mash tech![/QUOTE]

0-10 matchup for me. bodied :{

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I purposely started playing Blanka more often to counter all the boring ass Ryus. RYu online is more Guile than Guile is.

TheSeks

Anyone want a madcatz VS SH..The one with the silent parts...for ps3 brand new. Got it from markman.

If you're honestly serious: I wouldn't mind a free arcade stick. I don't own one and have been in the market to get one. But $170+ is a little rich for me to try it.

I finally installed SSF4 AE on Steam because I finally have a capable computer. How do I get rid of the black screen + "an unhandled error" message? Does this have anything to do with the Games for Windows Live marketplace going down? I'm running the game on a fresh Windows 8.1 install on my iMac.

Also, is there any good guides for costume mods and stuff for Steam?

edit: Kadey I'll finally be able to join those invites you always send me when I'm playing on Xbox hahaha.

I finally installed SSF4 AE on Steam because I finally have a capable computer. How do I get rid of the black screen + "an unhandled error" message? Does this have anything to do with the Games for Windows Live marketplace going down? I'm running the game on a fresh Windows 8.1 install on my iMac.

Also, is there any good guides for costume mods and stuff for Steam?

edit: Kadey I'll finally be able to join those invites you always send me when I'm playing on Xbox hahaha.

http://aemods.pbworks.com/w/page/41161851/SSF4 - Arcade Edition Modding Wiki here's the costume mods wiki.

and no idea on unhandled error. usually i just restart or reinstall gfwl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom