• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yun's EX Command Grab kara throw has range comparable to Zangief's jab SPD in SSF4 AE v2012

It's performed by kara-canceling his command grab from an EX Shoulder.

Note that for some reason, if you kara an EX strike attack into a normal command throw, it won't burn meter.

T7fcROI.jpg

gutabo

Hmm… that's interesting. I wonder why it doesn't burn meter? If the code is specific to that Special or its more prevalent throughout the system? Could really open up the Kara game. Kara-ing a Special to Special. Weird.

Seems very similar in a way to armor cancelling. Some armor cancel examples here. Also when you armor cancel an ex move into a special move it won't burn meter either(so that's why in the vid you can armor cancel an ex move into a super move).

Seems very similar in a way to armor cancelling. Some armor cancel examples here. Also when you armor cancel an ex move into a special move it won't burn meter either(so that's why in the vid you can armor cancel an ex move into a super move).

i think i was able to do something like that with GUY. It only worked with pad though. I would be fighting someone and i would panic trying to do the wakeup ultra, so i Focus armor' cancelled into Ultra

gutabo

i think i was able to do something like that with GUY. It only worked with pad though. I would be fighting someone and i would panic trying to do the wakeup ultra, so i Focus armor' cancelled into Ultra

Yes, it works with all characters that have armored moves. You can see Guy's in this video at 10:44 and in the same video zangief and abel do similar stuff with their armored moves. Even Gouken can do it from his triggered counters.

Beat one of my coworkers in AE today during lunch. Next is my supervisor, then a new hire who placed 130th at Evo apparently.

Does your co-worker have a twitter, I just want to give them some advice.

Pick Blanka, learn 3 moves and when to use them, proceed to win

I remember doing that with balrog all the time in vanilla.

Loved armoring a fireball and ultraing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dW90AyV38k&t=2m35s

I think that was the first time most of us online players seen a armor cancel and it completely blew our minds. I was in complete awe of it. Maeda Taison made Balrog's ultra look OP in that set because he was consistently landing it for full damage from different situations like dash ultra through fireballs or auto correct on wake up instead of the standard low damage off a headbutt. Infact I don't think he landed one headbutt Ultra the whole set.

LakeEarth

I never got the advantage to armor -> ultra, since ultras are usually invulnerable anyways.

EDIT - I guess, since ultra motions force you to unblock, it prevents getting hit while doing the majority of the motion.

Nobody plays Sim, either. It's truly a dream come true.

Well maybe the new hire does. I only know that the coworker I played and my supervisor use Ryu.

Jelly, I only get to play on Friday, maybe, with one co-worker. All he plays is Sagat. Sim vs Sagat is such a grind.

The downside is that since it was on a 360, I had to use a 360 pad. This made dashing a bit weirder for me because of the awful Dpad, but I sometimes use the analog stick on PS3 anyways when I use Hawk since it makes 720s easier.

Do they have a good grasp of the game?
1st coworker understood footsies and why he lost to me (got nervous and kept jumping against a defensive Hawk, but he also liked mashing out SRKs during block strings). My supervisor has been playing since HF, but hasn't played seriously in a couple years. New hire...well I've said it a bunch of times already. Don't know who he uses though.

You should know better. Everything should scare you. Dan with a sliver of health should scare you.

lowkey terrible matchup for gouken

I am trying to use Yang and nothing is safe. I didn't know my rekka pressure could be grabbed. His jump arc is so shallow, its tough to anti-air. His slide... ugh.
With Sim, he focuses my limbs and slides my fireballs. He blocked my jumping HP dashed and ultra'ed me when I landed on his body.

Dan is no joke, especially with Sim.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I am trying to use Yang and nothing is safe. I didn't know my rekka pressure could be grabbed. His jump arc is so shallow, its tough to anti-air. His slide... ugh.
With Sim, he focuses my limbs and slides my fireballs. He blocked my jumping HP dashed and ultra'ed me when I landed on his body.

Dan is no joke, especially with Sim.

Are you doing raw rekkas? Just do cr.MK xx one hit of jab rekka for pressure because it's safe. Occasionally you can delay your rekkas to frame trap if you see your opponent likes to do things after blocking the first rekka. His jump arc is one of the best things to abuse and his anti air game isn't bad you probably just suck at them. The startup on his short DP is fully invincible.

You should only be doing j.HP with Sim tigerknee'ing backwards so you get an instant air jump back j.HP, you shouldn't be doing raw j.HP. To beat people fishing with focus attack you can either just throw out far st.lk multiple times or wait until they dash cancel and punish it with a limb. The match shouldn't be too hard with Sim, the only thing annoying should be short Dan kicks and if he's throwing those out midscreen to catch limbs just throw fireballs and punish them on whiff with a normal

Like I mentioned before, I went 9-5 against my supervisor before we had to go home. He played a really safe Ryu. Jump in, blockstring into fireball, jump out. He had some good reaction DPs too. You know how you sometimes go into a match and you're already feeling yourself? Yeah, I did that and I lost the second match because of it.

It went back and forth, and the set basically looked like this:

Me
Him
Mex4
Him x3
Mex2
Him
Mex2

I think it's just the new hire who is the only person left in the store who plays. Can't wait to finally fight him.

xCobalt

That doesn't work if Hakan does meaty Oil Dive because when you wake up you're considered standing for 1 or 2 frames. You have to wakeup with a somewhat invincible reversal.

I'm pretty sure you're only considered standing on wakeup if you do nothing. If you wake up with a crouching attack, it should remove those 1 or 2 frames. That's how I deal with meaty grabs from Guy or Cammy.

onionfrog

I just clocked over 2000 hours on my 360 copy of SSFIV yesterday. Wild. Especially since that time doesn't include other platforms, vanilla SFIV or playing on other folks' consoles.

I'm still not terribly good.
God Damn that's a lot of hours.

I've only got 30 hours for AE, but like 300 for Marvel.

I'm gonna start playing AE more, since unlike Marvel it's actually getting updated. :p

I want to know how many hours Kadey has.

BizzyBum

I just clocked over 2000 hours on my 360 copy of SSFIV yesterday. Wild. Especially since that time doesn't include other platforms, vanilla SFIV or playing on other folks' consoles.

I'm still not terribly good.

I dunno what's scarier, the hours played or the fact you say you're not good at it. lol

In the words of Arthur C Clarke; Both are equally terrifying.

Street Fighter IV was the first fighting game I ever took seriously. Before then, as much as I could dragon punch on reaction, I did not know a thing about cancelling moves; chains vs links etc. I've spent a LOT of time learning.

Plus it's just fun. It's always fun and, despite all those hours, I'm still not bored. Ultra Street Fighter IV is my most anticipated game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom