• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

Does anyone happen to know if SSF4 AE PC's minimum requirements are higher than vanilla SF4's were?

Just got an ASUS T100 hybrid tablet, and amazingly I am getting 64-70 FPS in the SF4 benchmark test demo with backgrounds on and model detail at medium, albeit at 640x480 res and with v-sync off. It's still really impressive and I might have to throw Super on here if it's gonna run the same!

Same engine so I doubt it's any different.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It always ran smoothly for me on my desktop and previous laptops.

Success:

10889392034_b61c398f34.jpg

Never thought I'd be able to play SSF4 perfectly on the go like this. It's Win 8 so I can just plug in a controller. Skullgirls also runs perfectly with 3D backgrounds off, although O couldn't get KOF to run well.

Success:

Never thought I'd be able to play SSF4 perfectly on the go like this. It's Win 8 so I can just plug in a controller. Skullgirls also runs perfectly with 3D backgrounds off, although O couldn't get KOF to run well.

what tablet is that?

Success:

wow, i wanna do this

K.Sabot

Anyone else think Yun is starting to inch his way back into top 5?

It's not just Kazunoko dragging him up there, but I think he does really well against most of the top 5 current.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Success:

Wow nice. What kind of settings? Frame rate? How's the lag on the screen?

Some really interesting tech found by MrHoppus44. He is doing an ultra OS with crouch fierce and it activates when a move is whiffed closed to cody. It seems to be activated by the proximity blocking.

It might be just a training mode dummy glitch. More testing is required.

Some tweets from James Chen about it:

It's like if you press the buttons for the Ultra right before your move ends, nothing happens UNLESS the enemy whiffs an attack near you.

But it ONLY works if the move you do WHIFFS on the opponent. If it reaches, it'll still hit. I have no clue what's going on here!!!

It only works if your character reaches an Active Frame, is seems, that whiffs. Then proximity blocking cancels the end of the move...

And the Ultra cancels the proximity blocking? I've confirmed this works with ANY Special, not just Ultras, with Cammy (I did EX DP).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Does anyone have any experience introducing fighting games to their kids? My son is 5 and I want him to start playing SF soon. Any recommendations? I would get him the SF2 collection on PS2 but the Dual Shock is terrible for that.

alstein

The difference being how easy it is to mash out reversals in SF4 compared to ST

That's just removal of a lame execution barrier.

Having an auto-plink built into the game (could be done by having select force-inputted in certain situations) is one of the two changes I'd make to SF4.

The other change would be more fundamental, I'd have MikeZ look hard at changing how inputs are read, and change whatever I needed to in order to cut down on option selects.

Does anyone have any experience introducing fighting games to their kids? My son is 5 and I want him to start playing SF soon. Any recommendations? I would get him the SF2 collection on PS2 but the Dual Shock is terrible for that.

honestly speaking? try getting him into 3d fighters at first.

Soul Calibur or the tekkens. Heck, even the DOAs if you don't mind the tits bouncing around.

Particularly simple in terms of button pressing. and the movement will get him used to spacing. plus make him pick a staff/capoeira user so he can button mash and might win.

So how is the input done, then? Just any whiffed normal, during which you do an ultra motion, then on the last frame of the whiffed normal you go db+ppp or kkk?

EDIT: NOPE

This is a weird one. You have to do the ultra on the first possible frame of input after the whiffed normal, and then you must be holding down back the frame afterwards! Please see the video I just made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amBPJ0-R7YA&feature=youtu.be

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Success:

Wow nice. What kind of settings? Frame rate? How's the lag on the screen?

Turned everything to low or off except for character model detail (set to medium) and backgrounds (set to high). To compensate for the backgrounds being on, I had to use the lowest resolution setting (640x400, IIRC), but on a screen that small, it still looks great. With these settings, the game runs at 60 FPS. Benchmark tests were going as high as 70 FPS.

You can get higher resolutions if you turn off the backgrounds, too.

USD

After playing Fei for forever, I decided to start playing Cammy about two months ago (top tiers!). Cammy looked fun, and since my only competent character was Fei, I'd never really played a more combo-focused character before.

After two months, I'm still not that great, but I'm getting better. I did finally break the 3000PP barrier with her (after dropping to ~600 when I first switched with her, lol). She's.... powerful. I probably play her kinda weird, since I play her how I play Fei: kinda slow, methodical, focused on footsies and rarely jumping... until I get that one knockdown of course. I usually go for the slightly harder combos just to help out my execution, and it definitely has. My biggest execution issue probably is getting EX Strike consistently, lol. Sometimes the early jump HKs* I get do look like I had a good read on the opponent though, hahaha.

I guess the thing I miss the most about Fei is his punish ability. Cammy is still great at punishes, and she can often land fatter damage off hers, but Fei just has sheer quantity, which I like. There are also some things she can punish, but can be risky (like doing st.LP → Arrow against Balrog Dash Straight). Her lower stun is also noticeable.

But Cammy just has such a variety of tools that I love. Her normals aren't Fei-level, but they're still really good. Almost everything you press (especially up-close) is a frame trap. At 100 damage Cannon Spike only tickles, but it's an amazing anti-air, virtually impossible to beat, save by cross-up. And no need to talk about how good EX Strike is. I guess that's why she's top tier!

Cammy is kind of a dead end for me, since in USFIV I'm gonna be playing Poison anyway, but I'll enjoy the fun while it lasts haha.

*People really should punish whiffed jump normals though. So many people will go for a throw when the opponent lands, but you can always tech throws on landing after jump normals. Either anti-air as normal, or trip guard as they land (which is surprisingly easy).

onionfrog

Man, the pricing for the DLC costume packs on consoles is too damn high.

I wanted to get some of the costumes before ultra comes out, but not for more than the game itself costs me!

6.49(Vanilla SF4 costumes) + 17.99(SSF4 Costumes) + 17.99(AE costumes) ~= $42.50.

(I'm aware that Ultra will include previous DLC costumes and that's great. ... I'm impatient and the wait is too long)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

GJ bodying my Gouken in ranked earlier. Jerk.

It throws me off every time someone in ranked doesn't play neutral like a dumdum. Especially with a character like Cammy. I'm like "Yo this dude's playing Cammy he's gonna jump or throw out spin knuckle" but nope, then I get bodied because I'm just looking for dumb stuff all the time.

Threi

notag
Playing chars better than yours is just so amusing

"Wait those can link? And you are safe? And it does this much damage?"

I also spend a lot of time just dashing around, just in awe at how quick some of these characters are.

USD

GJ bodying my Gouken in ranked earlier. Jerk.

It throws me off every time someone in ranked doesn't play neutral like a dumdum. Especially with a character like Cammy. I'm like "Yo this dude's playing Cammy he's gonna jump or throw out spin knuckle" but nope, then I get bodied because I'm just looking for dumb stuff all the time.

It wasn't that bad, it was 2-2! Though landing those air throws on Demon Flip in that one game felt so good. :D We should play again, it was fun!

And yeah, I just doesn't feel right with me going crazy, so I usually play pretty safe (to a fault). Though if you're at a distance, be wary of raw Arrows. I usually try to space mine pretty well, so that they're at least hard to punish, if not safe, but it can be an easy way to get in on people who want to just hold back.

Playing chars better than yours is just so amusing

"Wait those can link? And you are safe? And it does this much damage?"

I also spend a lot of time just dashing around, just in awe at how quick some of these characters are.

The only thing with Cammy is that missing combos hurts. Either you're gonna eat a fat punish, or you're wasting two precious bars of your EX Strike Gaug- I mean SC Gauge. It is nice being able to link into practically everything though, hahaha.

i just want to say that it is absolute horse dung that Ryu's Ultra beats out Guile's Ultra Sonic bewm

EDIT: question, what determines when the "do you want to upload this fight?" prompt comes up?

Imm0rt4l

Imm0rtal looks like a real-life Street Fighter character.

haha thanks, while I'll never be gouken swole, Dudley will do. Speaking of which, It will be interesting to see what the characters look like outside of sf4. Gouken does not look 200lbs and ryu does not look 150.

Did you just get your ass kicked? They just uploaded the fight for all to see

That shit looked like combo practice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
haha thanks, while I'll never be gouken swole, Dudley will do. Speaking of which, It will be interesting to see what the characters look like outside of sf4. Gouken does not look 200lbs and ryu does not look 150.
Ryu is also like 5 feet tall, isn't he?

BTW, in case you folks are wondering about the proximity block OS tech, if you do the PPP/KKK a frame late you end up with an ultra coming out which the opponent is free to punish if they did nothing.

So if you're not able to to the OS properly 100% of the time, it will blow you up. :)

If you did the PPP/KKK a frame early, of course, no ultra will come out and there's no OS at all.

I am super curious about Tekkan X SF. RIP projectile game. Zangief will body everyone.

Anyone else listen to Valle's stream last night? Here is some stuff:
Have fun.

Pick who you like, love your character. If you play top-tier because its top tier and feels mechinical, you are not going to have fun.

Find a rival who is slightly better or worse than you and grow together. Its not fun to get scraped or fight weaker guys.

Play how you want to play. Don't listen to people say "never jump in on ryu" I think he means that fighting is expressive and if you can get jump-in combos or its part of who you are, do it.

He also said stuff about bad matchups, picking alts, and IRL stuff.

He also is now on NeoGAF (CaliPower)

I always thought the weights listed for certain characters were just ridiculous. Ryu is very buff in SF4, but even a smaller more toned Ryu would still be much heavier then 150 pounds. If he were 150 and shredded like the way he's normally drawn, he would be a shredded stick.

Supposedly Ryu's physique would look similar to Miguel Torres who is 5'9 and fights at 135 but comes in most fights at 145-150

492.jpg

When in fact he's always drawn and appears in most games like GSP who is also 5'10 and fights at 170 but comes in most fights at 185 or so

gsp-ufc-158.jpg

Even the bigger characters who are listed quite a bit heavier when it comes to height to weight ratio still appear too big for what they are listed at. Sagat being 172(accoring to the SF wiki) pounds at 7'4 is fucking nuts. Who the hell would be afraid of a 7'4 twig. That's essentially what he would be at that height and weight. Even if he were 100 pounds heavier he would still be too light. That would still make him much lighter than Yao Ming who wasn't considered that big for his height.

Just for fun, here is sample size of how I would change the weight of characters keeping their original height with their original weight listed in parenthesis

Ryu: 185(150)
Gouken: 225(198)
Balrog: 260(225)
Sagat: 330(178)
Abel: 260(187)

OceanBlue

[AE2012]Fei Long - POS from pressure strings
[AE2012] Hakan - POS Oil Combination Hold
lol wow

Edit: Actually, this reminds me of something I heard of when I reading about Akuma's option selects.

3: Recovery Option Select

These are probably the most difficult to learn because the room for error is the lowest out of any option select and the price for screwing up is also the worst. That being said this option select allows you to OS any special off of several normal which gives you another level of freedom that chain OSes do not. As the name suggests this OS takes advantage of the recovery frames of your normals to create the option select. The way you perform these option selects is to perform your attack and input the command for the special move with slightly delayed timing. You are trying to time it so the input for the special move co-insides with the recovery frames your special attack. For instance one great option select for many match ups is the c.MP OS SRK. This is great against Vipers who love to burn kick through your block strings. You begin by using your c.MP and input the SRK motion shortly after. You are trying to time it so on hit you finish the SRK input AFTER the active frames of your attack and before you recover from the attack. If you hit it too soon you will cancel the MP into the SRK, but if you hit it too late you will link the attack. In Both situations the SRK comes out which isn’t a good thing. If you time it correctly however the SRK will only come out if the c.MP whiffs.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145467/the-akuma-option-select-mega-thread

Threi

notag
I am super curious about Tekkan X SF. RIP projectile game. Zangief will body everyone.

Anyone else listen to Valle's stream last night? Here is some stuff:
Have fun.

Pick who you like, love your character. If you play top-tier because its top tier and feels mechinical, you are not going to have fun.

Find a rival who is slightly better or worse than you and grow together. Its not fun to get scraped or fight weaker guys.

Play how you want to play. Don't listen to people say "never jump in on ryu" I think he means that fighting is expressive and if you can get jump-in combos or its part of who you are, do it.

He also said stuff about bad matchups, picking alts, and IRL stuff.

He also is now on NeoGAF (CaliPower)
Play with the heart™ like pro gamer Mike "Mike Ross" Ross.

Play who you wanna play...sometimes that just doesn't work out. Sometimes capcom doesn't want you playing x char y way. And when that happens you DEFINITELY won't be having any fun.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It wasn't that bad, it was 2-2! Though landing those air throws on Demon Flip in that one game felt so good. :D We should play again, it was fun!

And yeah, I just doesn't feel right with me going crazy, so I usually play pretty safe (to a fault). Though if you're at a distance, be wary of raw Arrows. I usually try to space mine pretty well, so that they're at least hard to punish, if not safe, but it can be an easy way to get in on people who want to just hold back.

Something I noticed about your Cammy the other night is that if you have meter, you're going to try an ex strike frame trap if you're inside. Too much ex strike, not enough throw/other mind games imo.

I finally learned how to do Balrog's Headbutt into Ultra, i feel elated. Like i opened up a new world! (plus it has helped me take into account position of the stick a lil better)

Not sf-related by shouts to jlai and minibossbattle for the bf4 games.

What platform are you guys on? I was thinking about getting it to.

I finally learned how to do Balrog's Headbutt into Ultra, i feel elated. Like i opened up a new world! (plus it has helped me take into account position of the stick a lil better)

Dat feel when you finally accomplish something you thought was so hard. I thought I was the king of the world when I first landed SRK, FADC, Ultra in Vanilla SF4 during a real match. I wanted to stop playing right there and end my SF playing days on a high note lol.

Whoa JLai, can you send me your PSN name? You always need to press buttons in a BF game

I am on PS4. PSN MiniBossBattle.

Wow, I didn't expect that many of us to have a PS4. Edgeward and I also have a PS4 but neither of us bought BF4. I don't have BF4 though and I don't think he does either. I've always been interested in the series but wasn't sure I would be into the large scale battles of BF when I just prefer a simple shooter on smaller maps which is why I bought COD: Ghost(which I hate lol).

Loving the system so far, just not much that I want to play right now. But the games will come in due time. Still crossing my fingers for a USF4 port.

Wow, I didn't expect that many of us to have a PS4. Edward and I also have a PS4 but neither of us bought BF4. I don't have BF4 thought and I don't think he does either. I've always been interested in the series but wasn't sure I would be into the large scale battles of BF when I just prefer a simple shooter on smaller maps which is why I bought COD: Ghost(which I hate lol).

Loving the system so far, just not much that I want to play right now. But the games will come in due time. Still crossing my fingers for a USF4 port.

There are a bunch of problems with it right now. But despite them, I'm having a lot of fun. There's talk of a patch coming soon that will hopefully clear it all up. If you guys and gals pick it up, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom