• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BizzyBum

The big thing that stops me from being really great at this game is not being clutch and being the biggest choke artist in the universe.

I repeatedly get my opponents down to <10% health and I would have like 50-60% and 9 times out of 10 I will lose the round/match.

It's absolutely infuriating.

Hinomura

Hello! Anyone up for a couple of flying matches?

PC / MrYo74
(EU)

Edit: oh well, it seems it's unable to connect :/

Edit2: no way :( damn gfwl! Weeeell I had fun doing offline solo practice :S btw good combos with Akuma, you won't believe!

BizzyBum

GGs as usual Cobalt and BASHA(?) if you're on GAF.

At about the 4 hour mark I think I was playing on auto-pilot we played so much. lol

xCobalt

GGs as usual Cobalt and BASHA(?) if you're on GAF.

At about the 4 hour mark I think I was playing on auto-pilot we played so much. lol

Yeah I definitely was auto piloting at the end lol. That session went on for so long. The last few games I was focusing on trying to land the unblockable against you. Got it a couple of times in our last match but for the most part, you just walked under it haha.

Kalamari

Question for Ken users, I have noticed that the c. lk -> c. lp-> s. lp -> c. mk XX tatsu combo doesn't work as consistently on some characters, such as Dudley. Does anyone know what characters this combo doesn't work against? Or, should I just shorten the combo so it doesn't push back as much?

xCobalt

The big thing that stops me from being really great at this game is not being clutch and being the biggest choke artist in the universe.

I repeatedly get my opponents down to <10% health and I would have like 50-60% and 9 times out of 10 I will lose the round/match.

It's absolutely infuriating.

Just noticed this post. This sort of thing happens to me a lot too. Gouken has a lot of options on wakeup but I end up resorting to the most obvious ones rather than just blocking.

The Cody player was able to make some comebacks against you because it seems like you're not familiar with the matchup. If Cody has a lot of meter and scores the knockdown, it's gonna be really tough. We noticed that you were having a lot of trouble with EX Zonk so he abused that a lot. Maybe practice punishing it with crouch fierce in training mode. I play him on a regular basis and still have a lot of trouble with this match up. You might have noticed his jump jab beating out all of my anti air options lol.

BizzyBum

The Cody player was able to make some comebacks against you because it seems like you're not familiar with the matchup. If Cody has a lot of meter and scores the knockdown, it's gonna be really tough. We noticed that you were having a lot of trouble with EX Zonk so he abused that a lot. Maybe practice punishing it with crouch fierce in training mode. I play him on a regular basis and still have a lot of trouble with this match up. You might have noticed his jump jab beating out all of my anti air options lol.

Yeah, I just don't have the matchup experience playing against GOOD players using a lot of the cast. I rarely face Cody and when I do they are never really as good as he was.

I kept getting hit with EX Zonk because he conditioned me to tech since he was throw happy and he kept mixing it up with throw/zonk and it threw me off. He also used it a lot to go through my low forward fireball game. Man do I wish that was a true blockstring like Evil Ryu. T_T

I don't think I have the reaction time to punish with crouch fierce. lol

xCobalt

Yeah, I just don't have the matchup experience playing against GOOD players using a lot of the cast. I rarely face Cody and when I do they are never really as good as he was.

I kept getting hit with EX Zonk because he conditioned me to tech since he was throw happy and he kept mixing it up with throw/zonk and it threw me off. He also used it a lot to go through my low forward fireball game. Man do I wish that was a true blockstring like Evil Ryu. T_T

I don't think I have the reaction time to punish with crouch fierce. lol

My strategy is to eat the throw if Cody has 3+ bars lol. That EX Zonk FADC is coming sooner or later. If they have 3 bars, you can expect an ex zonk after an empty jump, jumping light attack, whiff hop kick, ect. I still get hit by it...it's so hard not to crouch tech or press buttons when they do that sort of stuff.

I meant punishing it on block. Cody is -7 after EX Zonk and you had a lot of trouble punishing it (I think you went for cr.mk a lot?). Reversal dp is the easiest punish but you could probably do cr.mp into sweep or cr.hp into dp. If Cody does EX Zonk FADC, I believe he's at -1 so if your timing is right, you'll hit him out of his throw or normals.

BizzyBum

I meant punishing it on block. Cody is -7 after EX Zonk and you had a lot of trouble punishing it (I think you went for cr.mk a lot?). Reversal dp is the easiest punish but you could probably do cr.mp into sweep or cr.hp into dp. If Cody does EX Zonk FADC, I believe he's at -1 so if your timing is right, you'll hit him out of his throw or normals.

Ah okay, good to know.

Another flaw in my game is I don't really know a lot of frame data.

xCobalt

Ah okay, good to know.

Another flaw in my game is I don't really know a lot of frame data.

Up until last year or so, I didn't know frame data either. I figured learning frame data would make me become better at the game and it did. Aside from knowing how to maximize your punishes, it really helps in creating frame traps. If you know your basic frame traps aren't working on an opponent, you can then switch to a slower frame trap.

dang my internet went out for 15 mins. oh well. pr_balrog said i was random and my wakeup game goes to shit when i get some pressure put on, and that i rely too much on reversals.

i don't know what half that shit means MANG! I JUST DO IT™

Threi

notag
What is it was akuma players calling your char cheap and scrubby? It's always the Akuma players in particular too...always making this narrative that they have to work so hard for their wins (cause setups and links are hard man, plus the low health) and you're the bad person for using the "easy" char.

That's all it ever fucking is in this game isn't it...work your ass off to get rewarded with people calling you cheap and not wanting to play with you. Real fucking nice.

What is it was akuma players calling your char cheap and scrubby? It's always the Akuma players in particular too...always making this narrative that they have to work so hard for their wins (cause setups and links are hard man, plus the low health) and you're the bad person for using the "easy" char.

That's all it ever fucking is in this game isn't it...work your ass off to get rewarded with people calling you cheap and not wanting to play with you. Real fucking nice.
I remember an Akuma player asking for nerfs in the Deejay Suggestion thread on Unity.

Le sigh

there's somethnig weird with e.ryu's character model when fighting with GUY.

if a shoto whiffs a DP, i do st. HK and link into dial-a-combo lp-mk-hp-HK. However, when E.Ryu whiffs a HP DP, i do st. HK when he lands and somehow it pushes him backwards far enough to miss the lp link.

TokiDoki

Question for Ken users, I have noticed that the c. lk -> c. lp-> s. lp -> c. mk XX tatsu combo doesn't work as consistently on some characters, such as Dudley. Does anyone know what characters this combo doesn't work against? Or, should I just shorten the combo so it doesn't push back as much?

As long as your cr.mk touch , I think it should works ? Precisely you need ex Tatsu to guarantee . I usually just cr.lk , st.lp , cr.mk xx ex tatsu or cr.lk , cr.lp , cr.mk xx ex Tatsu for tatsu ender combo . You certainly wanted to hit confirm faster there .

Marz

What character do you play?

fethebox

Neo Member
As long as your cr.mk touch , I think it should works ? Precisely you need ex Tatsu to guarantee . I usually just cr.lk , st.lp , cr.mk xx ex tatsu or cr.lk , cr.lp , cr.mk xx ex Tatsu for tatsu ender combo . You certainly wanted to hit confirm faster there .

I stopped playing sf4 a while ago, right when unblockables were getting popular but I played a lot of ken, was relatively good (hovered around 3500-3800pp on xbl which has best competition out of all platforms and made it out of pools at final round 2011) and when I was against weird hitbox characters I would cr.lk st.lp cr.hp xx tatsu/ex tatsu. The cr.hp guarentees that your tatsu cancel will hit.

If you think about it, so many characters rely on two framers in bnb combos and being able to link st.lp into cr.hp isn't that hard to learn. If you want to go even further you can practice the cr.lp into cr.hp link which pops characters up from crouching to standing so you can cancel into tatsu afterward.

I haven't looked into the Ultra sf4 changes because frankly I think the game has devolved into garbage but is ken getting his st.jab into sweep link back? You could set up some pretty cheap shit with that in AE2011.

Oh edit, I am sure you guys saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuRGAn-94Cg but science has gone too far with this game. I saw it and decided to boot up training mode randomly and figured out the timing for it in about an hour. Completely broken. Im just gonna sit here and wait for CvS2 re release.

fethebox

Neo Member
^ it helped Alioune so much at Capcom Cup

Alioune is probably the biggest choker/underperformer in the FGC. His placing in the Capcom Cup has no bearing on the fact that proximity os are out there. People knew about unblockables before they were implemented, same thing with the UMvC3 infinites. They are staples of the game now and every time there were naysayers telling people that they are too hard to be practical in matches.

Thing about fighting games is that it takes years for things to develop. If you look at Vanilla sf4 Cammy and Seth were even better in those versions but no one knew enough about them at that point to figure them out.

Pretty standard for him but his reach is insane.

No. This is wrong. His jab was always 2-3 frames. his jab was his best close poke and his c.strong his best mid ranged one. both had fairly fast startups.

what the fuck is hugo supposed to do in a game with a small screen and no parry/quick pokes?

alstein

If anyone wants to get PC version, It's $7.50 on Green Man Gaming, $6 with the 20% off coupon floating around in the Steam thread somewhere.

$6 is about as cheap as it will get.

I just hope Ultra comes out before GFWL servers die.

I got a Hori HRAP stick and I'm really enjoying playing with it. I've used pads my whole life, so this is a new world for me. After a few hours, I've made pretty significant strides, but I was disheartened when I plugged in my fightpad and could execute moves so much better. But, it's just been a few hours, and it's admittedly 3 times as fun with a stick.

Any advice for someone new to arcade sticks?

For example, suggested grips, insight, tips...I am working toward using Honda effectively. My first attempt at a charge character.

Shouta

No. This is wrong. His jab was always 2-3 frames. his jab was his best close poke and his c.strong his best mid ranged one. both had fairly fast startups.

what the fuck is hugo supposed to do in a game with a small screen and no parry/quick pokes?

According to the 3S data I just saw, his jab was 4 frames. His SFxT version is 6 frames. his crouching strong was 7 frames in 3S and 10 frames in SFxT.

He's slower by a bit but that's probably to make up for the fact he doesn't have as much room he has to cover on the screen. It would be pretty ridiculous to give him a 4f jab with his reach.

alstein

Hugo might end up feeling like a Samsho char or NGBC Haohmaru in a SF game.

Red focus looks like it will help Hugo as well. Hope his meter gain doesn't suck.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I got a Hori HRAP stick and I'm really enjoying playing with it. I've used pads my whole life, so this is a new world for me. After a few hours, I've made pretty significant strides, but I was disheartened when I plugged in my fightpad and could execute moves so much better. But, it's just been a few hours, and it's admittedly 3 times as fun with a stick.
Never have your pad around as a crutch. Accept that you're going to do worse for a while as you relearn how to play videogames from scratch, and don't look back until you're proficient.

Also make sure that your hand and wrist are doing most of the work, not your upper arm. Rest your arm on the stick and avoid full arm actions to move the joystick.

Hugo might end up feeling like a Samsho char or NGBC Haohmaru in a SF game.

Red focus looks like it will help Hugo as well. Hope his meter gain doesn't suck.

its not 3s no meter for empties...sooo yeah his meter gain might suck. red focus will be something he needs which takes hammer mountain (his most combo friendly super) out of the running. his two ultras are his jump grab and his stand grab so he's gonna be more like gief where his ultra meter being half/ffull is when he can start going in. he has to throw his body at people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom