• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Maybe they're going for a kind of long-range grappler with Hugo. Like T. Hawk, except all his moves have standing roundhouse reach. But he does seem like he'll be Dhalsim levels of screwed if someone gets in and he doesn't have meter.

Degen

Yeah I'm almost more interested in Elena than Hugo

overhead trolling is Best Trolling

...granted, Hugo has his fair share of that too lol

Never have your pad around as a crutch. Accept that you're going to do worse for a while as you relearn how to play videogames from scratch, and don't look back until you're proficient.

Also make sure that your hand and wrist are doing most of the work, not your upper arm. Rest your arm on the stick and avoid full arm actions to move the joystick.

Yeah. I think this is good advice. Last night started out terrible with Honda and the stick, but I got a bit of a groove down and popped off a 6 match streak. As for the pad as a crutch thing, I'm guilty as charged. I was being terrorized by this scrubby Sagat, and I said "NO MORE" and I plugged in my pad and nearly perfected him with Sakura. (Haven't used her in years, when did she become so good? I remember with Vanilla I would pull off 10 combos in a row, and one Tiger-uppercut would land and I'd be losing, lol)

I've learned that a big part of getting good with a new character is learning which moves counter which. That'll take a while. But, I'm having a blast.

eva01

Super late night matches? I can't be the only person with time off.

I will gatekeep
dLi2N.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah. I think this is good advice. Last night started out terrible with Honda and the stick, but I got a bit of a groove down and popped off a 6 match streak. As for the pad as a crutch thing, I'm guilty as charged. I was being terrorized by this scrubby Sagat, and I said "NO MORE" and I plugged in my pad and nearly perfected him with Sakura. (Haven't used her in years, when did she become so good? I remember with Vanilla I would pull off 10 combos in a row, and one Tiger-uppercut would land and I'd be losing, lol)
Yeah, this severely hurts the process of learning stick. You have to play through it.

The problem with coming into the game late (My fourth day playing SSF4 online), the only people online are pretty much guys who have been playing since launch. I haven't faced many guys that didn't have at least 2000 pp. It's okay, because I can lose 8 matches in a row, and win 1 and I've got a net PP gain for the session. lol

I remember when I played SF4 Vanilla back 5 years ago. (Holy shit, time flies) I was able to really fuck people up with the OP Sagat... and there were thousands of Kens and Jump back fireball/ohfuckimlosingULTRA ULTRA ULTRA Akumas. It was easy street. With the stick, it's a whole new world for me.

And yeah, I'm taking a non-stop torrent of ass beatings with the stick and Honda, but I've learned a lot about the character in the past few days.

1. Some people aren't used to facing Honda, so they don't realize that the Ultra 1 goes through pretty much everything. It's hard to counter with an Ultra, and an otherwise rookie mistake like telegraphing my Ultra has turned into a fluky victory due to the general ignorance about Honda and what he does.

2. People want to cross up Honda with heavy pressure because he's a charge character, and I don't quite know how to deal with it. I find a neutral jump with a HP can get me out of trouble sometimes. I've also noticed an auto-correct headbutt that fucks up a cross-up. Trying to get the timing down might take a while, but I'm having fun losing 70% of my matches. Any advice for responding to ticky-tack wake-ups and cross-ups is most welcomed. :)

3. Most human players recoil so strongly at the butt slam that they fail to punish it. Seems many forget that this is in the Honda arsenal. I should really work to incorporate this more.

4. Overhead Strong Punch is insane. Slap your troubles away with the slap chop; i'm gonna be making great food all day.

Anyway, sorry to bother you with newbie talk. I hope to get better at the more technical aspects of the game. Cancelling seems pretty much impossible for me right now. I can't get too far in the trials yet.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cancelling is pretty much hitting the button for the next move when the current move hits. You'll get the feel for it then be set overall. Link timing is also pretty similar across characters, so once you get them down for a couple characters you've already done most of the work.

As for more elaborate stuff, take note that inputs can overlap in the buffer. Like Chun-Li can do fireball cancelled into super by doing charge back, forward+punch, back, forward+kick.

Cancelling is pretty much hitting the button for the next move when the current move hits. You'll get the feel for it then be set overall. Link timing is also pretty similar across characters, so once you get them down for a couple characters you've already done most of the work.

As for more elaborate stuff, take note that inputs can overlap in the buffer. Like Chun-Li can do fireball cancelled into super by doing charge back, forward+punch, back, forward+kick.

So, at the instant the proceeding hit makes contact (makes the noise), that is the exact moment I should be hitting the button for the next input? Am I understanding this correctly? I can never seem to get the right timing.

And yeah, I have a good feel for some of Honda's super-cancels. It's fairly easy to link a regular HB into a Super HB. It feels natural, oddly enough. You gotta be calm and deliberate with the joystick inputs, I've found. Sorta robotic and controlled compared to the D-pad.

The problem with coming into the game late (My fourth day playing SSF4 online), the only people online are pretty much guys who have been playing since launch. I haven't faced many guys that didn't have at least 2000 pp. It's okay, because I can lose 8 matches in a row, and win 1 and I've got a net PP gain for the session. lol

I remember when I played SF4 Vanilla back 5 years ago. (Holy shit, time flies) I was able to really fuck people up with the OP Sagat... and there were thousands of Kens and Jump back fireball/ohfuckimlosingULTRA ULTRA ULTRA Akumas. It was easy street. With the stick, it's a whole new world for me.

And yeah, I'm taking a non-stop torrent of ass beatings with the stick and Honda, but I've learned a lot about the character in the past few days.

1. Some people aren't used to facing Honda, so they don't realize that the Ultra 1 goes through pretty much everything. It's hard to counter with an Ultra, and an otherwise rookie mistake like telegraphing my Ultra has turned into a fluky victory due to the general ignorance about Honda and what he does.

2. People want to cross up Honda with heavy pressure because he's a charge character, and I don't quite know how to deal with it. I find a neutral jump with a HP can get me out of trouble sometimes. I've also noticed an auto-correct headbutt that fucks up a cross-up. Trying to get the timing down might take a while, but I'm having fun losing 70% of my matches. Any advice for responding to ticky-tack wake-ups and cross-ups is most welcomed. :)

3. Most human players recoil so strongly at the butt slam that they fail to punish it. Seems many forget that this is in the Honda arsenal. I should really work to incorporate this more.

4. Overhead Strong Punch is insane. Slap your troubles away with the slap chop; i'm gonna be making great food all day.

Anyway, sorry to bother you with newbie talk. I hope to get better at the more technical aspects of the game. Cancelling seems pretty much impossible for me right now. I can't get too far in the trials yet.
Kevo huevo here is a Honda main. I would PM your questions to him or chat him up in the FGW thread.

Why am I here? I just feel gloomy because I still can't find a character that feels right. :(

You said you played Guile, right? Or was that Dahbomb?
We both do, though I swapped to Oni about a month ago. I decided that he might not be a great fit for me either, unfortunately. I tried every character with a fireball, and none feel good. :(

I want some some damn speed and mobility!

We both do, though I swapped to Oni about a month ago. I decided that he might not be a great fit for me either, unfortunately. I tried every character with a fireball, and none feel good. :(

If you want speed and mobility, you could always go with Seth. He's even getting back that god-forsaken Yoga Sniper in Ultra!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So, at the instant the proceeding hit makes contact (makes the noise), that is the exact moment I should be hitting the button for the next input? Am I understanding this correctly? I can never seem to get the right timing.
It's not exact, actually. Cancels all have a window in which the input will register as such, but it's about that time. Once you get a feel for it you'll find that it's pretty lenient.

But yes, the button press is what matters for timing, not the motion. Like I said before, the motion doesn't even have to be distinct. When a button is pressed the game checks recent direction inputs to see if they match something, whether they were done during or for something else or not. With a character like Ryu, this means you can simply press down+MK then keep it down before rolling to forward to press HP. With a charge characters like Honda, this means you can hold a charge direction while you do other things and then press forward/up and the button when you need to do the actual move.

xCobalt

Although there are people who have been playing for a long time, the gap isn't as big as you think it is. For years, people have been doing sub-optimal damage, figuring out matchups, learning new setups and relearning them as new versions come out. By coming in now, you have all this information readily available. You're not picking up on the mistakes others have made. Just keep at it.

Have you tried any of the divekick characters? The twins, cammy, rufus, seth, etc.

Have you tried any of the divekick characters? The twins, cammy, rufus, seth, etc.
I am more about spacing than rushdown. I did try Cammy because I had a childhood crush on her, though.

try GUY

2_nike-just-do-it.--29339.gif
Why?

you try rose or juri yet?
I tried Rose, and her fireballs seem to have massive recovery and startup. What is up with that?

I don't get Judi at all. She does a little kick for no reason, then does a fireball that goes half screen. What is the point if that song and dance?

If you want speed and mobility, you could always go with Seth. He's even getting back that god-forsaken Yoga Sniper in Ultra!
What is Yoga Sniper? I thought about Seth, but I rage hard when I rock people for 3/4 of a match, get hit once, and lose most of my health. That is why I dropped Akuma. I kept making one mistake that got me killed. -_-

for variety? he can provide a more active and rushdown mechanic if you are used to a more defensive playstyle? he encompasses a playstyle composed of using normals and non-crossover dependent mechanics? he can be speedy and has tools to get out of corner pressure (flip and wall jump?)

i dunno...just giving ideas :C

for variety? he can provide a more active and rushdown mechanic if you are used to a more defensive playstyle? he encompasses a playstyle composed of using normals and non-crossover dependent mechanics? he can be speedy and has tools to get out of corner pressure (flip and wall jump?)

i dunno...just giving ideas :C
I wasn't trying to be dismissive. I literally don't know what he can do!

xCobalt

I am more about spacing than rushdown. I did try Cammy because I had a childhood crush on her, though.

I tried Rose, and her fireballs seem to have massive recovery and startup. What is up with that?

I don't get Judi at all. She does a little kick for no reason, then does a fireball that goes half screen. What is the point if that song and dance?

If you're looking for someone with good mobility and footsies, try Bison, Chun, Adon or Rose. In regards to Rose's fireballs, her fireballs all have the same total frames. Her light fireball has fast startup and long recovery while her hard fireball has long startup and low recovery. Medium is in between.

Juri can actually store her fireballs. That little kick she does has a decent hitbox and can be used as an anti air (although she has better antiairs). You can store a fireball for each of the kick buttons. By doing this, you can setup frame traps, fireball traps or extend your combos. Here's a vid I found that shows off some extended combos with the fireball.

What is Yoga Sniper? I thought about Seth, but I rage hard when I rock people for 3/4 of a match, get hit once, and lose most of my health. That is why I dropped Akuma. I kept making one mistake that got me killed. -_-

Yoga Sniper is Dhalsim's jumping Fierce punch where he shoots his fists at a downward angle in the air. Seth is getting it back in Ultra for whatever reason.

stn

It makes sense why. They nerfed a ton of his 50/50 tools and are giving him the yoga sniper to make him more of a zoner. I'm actually intrigued by Seth now, will give him a shot as a backup to Rolento. I'm also enjoying using Dan currently.

Imm0rt4l

Seths rushdown and ambiguous nonsense is some crap. Especially the I'm gonna force you to block an unblockable with this here tandem. Seth can kick rocks, get nerfed. I'd much rather have to deal with yoga sniper than the ambiguous and unblockable plus ace rushdown. Less health doeant always make up for having such good options. Thats just lazy design.

Poongko gonna have to bow down to kazunoko and dashio.

Although there are people who have been playing for a long time, the gap isn't as big as you think it is. For years, people have been doing sub-optimal damage, figuring out matchups, learning new setups and relearning them as new versions come out. By coming in now, you have all this information readily available. You're not picking up on the mistakes others have made. Just keep at it.

I'm basically trying to move from casual to hardcore. I feel like I get more out of playing good players and losing than playing other new players in odd, clumsy matches.

xCobalt

I'm basically trying to move from casual to hardcore. I feel like I get more out of playing good players and losing than playing other new players in odd, clumsy matches.

Yeah definitely. By playing against better players, hopefully you can recognize what you're doing wrong and improve on it. Although if the skill gap is too high, you can get overwhelmed pretty easily and not even get a chance to implement your game. I personally think the best way to improve is find a training partner on or slightly above your skill level. It's a good way to find out what works, what doesn't work and enjoy the game at the same time.

Yeah definitely. By playing against better players, hopefully you can recognize what you're doing wrong and improve on it. Although if the skill gap is too high, you can get overwhelmed pretty easily and not even get a chance to implement your game. I personally think the best way to improve is find a training partner on or slightly above your skill level. It's a good way to find out what works, what doesn't work and enjoy the game at the same time.

Yeah! The stick has given me a much greater appreciation for how technical the game can be in dedicated hands. My muscle memory is really improving. When I think about the game, my left hand tenses up and kinda 'locks in'... its hard to explain.

xCobalt

I am going to try and learn Dhalsim. Tips and resources?

How do you go from looking for a character with speed and mobility and end up with Dhalsim? I'm not very familiar with Dhalsim but in order to have any success you really need to know good spacing and strong defense. If you misjudge the spacing and anti air with wrong button its gonna go downhill very fast.

How do you go from looking for a character with speed and mobility and end up with Dhalsim? I'm not very familiar with Dhalsim but in order to have any success you really need to know good spacing and strong defense. If you misjudge the spacing and anti air with wrong button its gonna go downhill very fast.
Dhalsim has excellent mobility. Spacing is my main strongsuit.

If spacing is your strong suit why didn't you stick with DeeJay? Spacing is pretty essential with him.
I have never tried DeeJay. Maybe you are thinking of Guile? He is pretty boring, and I hate charge characters. I picked Guile to help my Skullgirls play.

I honestly don't know how DeeJay and Guile are different though!

Threi

notag
I have never tried DeeJay. Maybe you are thinking of Guile? He is pretty boring, and I hate charge characters. I picked Guile to help my Skullgirls play.

I honestly don't know how DeeJay and Guile are different though!
DeeJay is supposed to be more "active" than Guile.

I say "supposed" because Guile is actually more effective offensively than DeeJay is, and can pressure better than him (especially in the corner). Thing is Guile's zoning is what he's best at, so that is how the majority of players use him.

With DeeJay though because both his zoning and rushdown are mediocre, he has to play more of a risk-taking hit-and-run style, as opposed to safe fireball pressure with Guile. If you have good spacing you can really annoy opponents with him, as it will make him seem better than he is.

xCobalt

Dhalsim has excellent mobility. Spacing is my main strongsuit.

How do you define excellent mobility? I'd say bottom 3 worst walk speed, dash, and predictable escape options is pretty bad. A majority of the cast can option select against his teleport. At least other teleport characters have another escape option that can avoid certain OS.

How do you define excellent mobility? I'd say bottom 3 worst walk speed, dash, and predictable escape options is pretty bad. A majority of the cast can option select against his teleport. At least other teleport characters have another escape option that can avoid certain OS.
Mobility is the movement options available to a character. Slides, teleports, and aerial dive kick-esque attacks are all mobility. He has more mobility options than most of the cast, but he is slow.

xCobalt

Mobility is the movement options available to a character. Slides, teleports, and aerial dive kick-esque attacks are all mobility. He has more mobility options than most of the cast, but he is slow.

I'd personally take a single good option like fast walk speed over numerous movement options any day lol. A character like balrog can get a lot of mileage just walking in and out of range. I get caught by the shimmy so often due to fast walk speed. I'm trying to incorporate that into my game.

xCobalt

Any chance someone with the USF4 mod test something for me? I wanna see if something works for Gouken. In the corner, do these 2 situations work?

• cl.HP xx fireball, cr.MP xx fireball
  • Counter hit Overhead, cr.LP xx light palm
Hopefully the light palm will hit since it has forward movement now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom