• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
Was struggling with playing as Ryu/Ken online, went into training mode with Zangief, learned his movelist, won my first ever Zangief match against a C ranked Dudley. Never thought I'd like playing as a grappler.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ordered a bunch of bat tops. Going to start playing with them now. :) I always preferred them to a ball top but never had the chance or thought to actually get them until now.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ordered a bunch of bat tops. Going to start playing with them now. :) I always preferred them to a ball top but never had the chance or thought to actually get them until now.

I think you'll end up going back. The adjustment isn't as easy as you think, even if it feels better initially.

Threi

notag
Eryu is a freaking difficult matchup for DJ. I don't care what anyone says, It's a living hell to fight him. It's almost Rose and Sim-level bad for sure. At first i thought it was more to the even side but as i start to learn the little nuances and tricks Eryu has it's apparent that he really should not be losing that match.

...oh well at least there's USF4 to look forw-

...well at least gief is gunna be fun

Yup. Even though Capcom knows deejay is ass, they still won't do shit about it.

Elena looks fun, hopefully they don't nerf her to shit before the game comes out.

Eryu is a freaking difficult matchup for DJ. I don't care what anyone says, It's a living hell to fight him. It's almost Rose and Sim-level bad for sure. At first i thought it was more to the even side but as i start to learn the little nuances and tricks Eryu has it's apparent that he really should not be losing that match.

...oh well at least there's USF4 to look forw-

...well at least gief is gunna be fun

Really? I think DJ is a hard match up for Evil Ryu's. Several pretty good DJ players also feel the same way. I've come up with a few gimmicks to use against DJ which I did successfully against you when we played a long set a while back but I don't think that's stuff that can be relied on at high level or when both opponents are very familiar with the match up.

When looking at their move sets and how they interact with each other I think DJ is a solid counter for Evil Ryu. Part of that has to do with ERyu's slow long range normals. This match up will get a little better for Evil Ryu in Ultra though since they will speed up his sweep and DJ isn't going to gain anything that really affects the match up.

Threi

notag
His long range normals are exactly what i think gives him the edge (well that, the HUGE damage differential, his ability to alter his jump arc, making it harder to consistently AA even though its already hard to begin with, and his ability (among others) to abuse deejay's poor wakeup).

The hitboxes on them match everything deejay can throw out at any neutral situation, however he can cancel into axe kick to close the space to a position where he is definitely at advantage. DeeJay can't really whiff punish it. That's where its a lot harder than say ryu, because although deejay can't really challenge his low forward, ryu (or any shoto except eyru for that matter) cant really capatilize on it as an opportunity to close space on block. Even with the lower health Eryu won't be hurting too much off any deejay damage, and even at that what winds up happening is deejay is either forced into that awkward midrange position (where he is forced to wait on the opponent to make a move because any normal pressed here is a trade at best, completely stuffed at worst) or pushed fullscreen where the evil shotos can very easily match deejay in fireball wars, offense, and defense (red fireball shenanigans)

Evil Ryu is without a doubt the hardest of all the shotos to deal with. Ryu is even, Ken sways back and forth based on meter but overall is even, Akuma is obviously tougher but doable if you pay very close attention to his fullscreen and neutral game. Eryu though? No freaking way. It's without a doubt harder than all of those (yes, harder than akuma too).

And yeah it's getting worse for him, but he has bigger problems than simply eryu heading into usf4 as we all know. Some of the other chars are going to absolutely DESTROY him in his current state.

But that's another topic, i think I've gone over that enough times. The SRK deejay forum (well what's left of it anyways) is just like all hope is lost lol

FSLink

Banned
As someone who is a jerk and uses Zero May Cry and team Nemo in UMvC3, would Sakura be more my playstyle? Her combos and rushdown feel fun.

FSLink

Banned
Nah you at least gotta play some footsies as Sak.

Cammy might be your thing.

Hey I actually play footsies, haha. I just like long combos more than the unblockable vortex stuff. :p

And possibly, I'll give her and Adon a try again but they never really clicked with me.

jlai

Nah you at least gotta play some footsies as Sak.

Cammy might be your thing.

footsies with sak is sticking out c.mk/c.lk buffer DP until it works. then you lol ambiguous j.hp into 400 dmg extended corner carry combo into hard-to-blockable setup into stun into death. sounds like zero to me

Threi

notag
footsies with sak is sticking out c.mk/c.lk buffer DP until it works. then you lol ambiguous j.hp into 400 dmg extended corner carry combo into hard-to-blockable setup into stun into death. sounds like zero to me
This sounds familiar

Degen

I gave up looking for my old copy, and my new one just arrived in the mail

went straight onto ranked and ugh.. WOOGH.. getting beat by the plainest shotos.. there is much work to be done.

Glad the online is still active though

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Even though I just started using Sak in this version I think I've already gotten more perfects than any other character. All she needs is one hit and her mixups are way too good, especially in the corner. Sad that I never got to save the near double perfect I had on Q with her. :(

K.Sabot

I said "some" footsies, not real footsies.

Got Arcade Edition today.

Gee, Honda seems pretty low-tier. I switched to Blanka,and am working toward a better Adon, but I got a long way to go.

Sakura's awesome, but quite frankly, I've only been playing since Christmas and I'm just not good enough yet to use her. I hope to be a force by the time Ultra comes out.

... I ran into guys with 5000 bps with endless combos for days, but I play so raw, random, and scummy that it makes things more interesting than they should be. I'm talking Street Fighter back to the hood, friends.

Marz

Got Arcade Edition today.

Gee, Honda seems pretty low-tier. I switched to Blanka,and am working toward a better Adon, but I got a long way to go.

Sakura's awesome, but quite frankly, I've only been playing since Christmas and I'm just not good enough yet to use her. I hope to be a force by the time Ultra comes out.

... I ran into guys with 5000 bps with endless combos for days, but I play so raw, random, and scummy that it makes things more interesting than they should be. I'm talking Street Fighter back to the hood, friends.

I like this man.

Astarte

Is the PS3 version really that horrible to play? My computer isn't really well equipped to run SSF4, so I'm thinking about buying the console version and scrubbing it up that way. I don't know how to play this game so jumping straight to ranked I go!

Dartastic

Did he beat you? If so, it wasn't Gootecks.

(jk, he's good)
Hahaha. I was playing Makoto. I didn't expect Sim, so I just went straight into U1. Whoops. I took the first round pretty handily, he took the second round pretty decently, and the third round was close. I lost.

K.Sabot

Top 5 things that I let idiots get away with because online.

1.Jumping
2.Focusing in front of me.
3. FADCing a shoryu and then proceeding to frame trap me somehow.
4. Playing Oni
5. Playing grapplers.

Honorary mention to "getting shoryu'd out of your safe jumps"

extra honorable mention to "using shoryuken as a footsie tool"

ScOULaris

So, does anyone else experience shitty performance when playing SSF4:AE on a more-than-capable PC? When I play against the computer, it runs smoothly with no discernible input lag. When I play online, however, there are clearly dropped frames going on pretty frequently and I detect very noticeable input lag while playing.

For reference, I have Vsync turned off and Framerate set to Fixed. When I do the little hardware check that grades your PC's performance it runs the game at over 300 FPS on my machine. Clearly, my computer is up to the task.

When I play on my PS3 everything is silky smooth. My PS3 is wired however, while my PC is currently using wireless. Could this be part of the problem? Dropped packets or slow upload speed due to wireless?

ScOULaris

It's the wireless.
Yeah? I was thinking the same, but my brother also plays on his laptop wirelessly and says he doesn't have any issues. Then again, he might just not be perceiving a difference as easily as I do.

On a recommendation from some people on the Steam forums, I forced Vsync and Triple Buffering through Catalyst while leaving it off in the game. This seems to have helped quite a bit in terms of alleviating the feeling of dropped frames while playing online. The input lag is less noticeable as well.

Kaleinc

Banned
Yeah? I was thinking the same, but my brother also plays on his laptop wirelessly and says he doesn't have any issues. Then again, he might just not be perceiving a difference as easily as I do.

On a recommendation from some people on the Steam forums, I forced Vsync and Triple Buffering through Catalyst while leaving it off in the game. This seems to have helped quite a bit in terms of alleviating the feeling of dropped frames while playing online. The input lag is less noticeable as well.
Forget about wireless if you want to play online and disable vsync.

Kimosabae

Banned
Is the PS3 version really that horrible to play? My computer isn't really well equipped to run SSF4, so I'm thinking about buying the console version and scrubbing it up that way. I don't know how to play this game so jumping straight to ranked I go!

If you're new to the game don't worry too much about it, but you WILL notice a big difference if you stick to the game, get better at it, and are forced to play it on 360/PC at some point in the future.

If you're new to the game don't worry too much about it, but you WILL notice a big difference if you stick to the game, get better at it, and are forced to play it on 360/PC at some point in the future.

I didn't notice a difference when I played on 360 at work a couple months ago.

You can't really have fun until you no longer care about losing. lol

I fought about 70 matches online on AE so far. Won about 50, so that's good. But, I noticed things were getting rough as I went up in rank. With blanka you gotta play random, I swear, because people seem to have no idea what blanka can do.

Although, I really wish I was good enough to express myself with Abel. He's not great, but man, when you play him well, it's a thing of beauty. Fastest KO in the biz. Just, your execution has to be on point. 3 weeks in on the stick, I'm not there yet. Adon, too. I'm not great at the F D DF motion yet. Lightyears better than I was, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom