• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

You can't really have fun until you no longer care about losing. lol

I fought about 70 matches online on AE so far. Won about 50, so that's good. But, I noticed things were getting rough as I went up in rank. With blanka you gotta play random, I swear, because people seem to have no idea what blanka can do.

Although, I really wish I was good enough to express myself with Abel. He's not great, but man, when you play him well, it's a thing of beauty. Fastest KO in the biz. Just, your execution has to be on point. 3 weeks in on the stick, I'm not there yet. Adon, too. I'm not great at the F D DF motion yet. Lightyears better than I was, though.

DP motion? All you have to do is wiggle your stick in the bottom corner its probably the easiest input.

DP motion? All you have to do is wiggle your stick in the bottom corner its probably the easiest input.

I can nail it 100 times out of 100 in training, but with a character like Adon, you have to be super precise so you don't end up kicking off the wall.

I can nail it 100 times out of 100 in training, but with a character like Adon, you have to be super precise so you don't end up kicking off the wall.

ha! i can do abel's launcher into ultra in my sleep in training mode.

online? all i get is whiffed air-grabs.

i finally got the hang of doing double-hadouken motions from 2nd player side, but i have to THINk about doing it from 1st player side. i mess em up even in training mode.

God... why do disconnectors always pick Akuma and Oni? I do love the thought of those idiots scrambling to their PS3's to unplug the connection before I could land the Coup de Grace. I could understand if PP got you paid, but it doesn't... so why do that? All PP does is make sure you get paired with people going through what you are going through at the same skill level. Wouldn't you want it to be accurate so you don't get paired with guys who will combo half your health away because you don't know the proper way to counter/defend against it? Oh well. Probably just teenagers.

And holy shit at what they did to Honda. I heard bad things, but wow. Sumo Headbutt is useless unless somebody just plain forgets to block.

Here's a me after using the Sumo HB as an anti-air counter after switching to AE:
geQqOZx.gif

Low-tier for life!

because that is a stupid fucking shortcut and you dont know how to do the motion properly...so stop relying on the shortcut and practice kid.

this guy really asked why do you have to learn the proper input...I just fucking cant.

Roche

because that is a stupid fucking shortcut and you dont know how to do the motion properly...so stop relying on the shortcut and practice kid.

this guy really asked why do you have to learn the proper input...I just fucking cant.

I'm actually confused as to why this upsets you so much.

Kimosabae

Banned
His tenor is insane but I cherish the sentiment: learning the ideal input shows discipline and can (and likely will) benefit you more in the long run. Most games aren't as generous with that input as SF4. Marz's sentiment is just emblematic of everything old-schooler's hate about the newer games.

stn

Want to learn proper inputs, reversal timings, and how to piano? Just play ST. Teaches you what not to do for when you get to SF4.

LakeEarth

But the SRK shortcut (df d df) keeps you crouching, thus is advantageous to use over the normal input when anti-airing. You SHOULD learn to use it, bullshit that it is.

Apparently the shortcut was in 3rd Strike too, though SF4's input is way more forgiving.

alstein

For AE, you don't need to learn it.

That said, I do think the combination of links being hard, and reversals being stupid easy is a problem. If you have average execution, it really punishes offense.

Either SRKs need to be harder, or links easier (I'd vote for links easier- I'd make plink automatic, some ppl have sticks that supposedly do this anyways, so giving it to everyone is fair), or create a 5f input buffer when you have someone in hitstun. (this is how it works in BB and I believe SG)

Making both hard would work as well, failed links would be a lot safer, might make the game resemble ST more.

notworksafe

People using DP shortcuts? And talking shit on Kuma when he comes in to school you morans?

I don't even know this thread anymore. New blood is the worst blood.
dLi2N.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The bottom line is this: If you can do it reliably when it's difficult, you can do it without fail when it's easy.

Either SRKs need to be harder, or links easier (I'd vote for links easier- I'd make plink automatic, some ppl have sticks that supposedly do this anyways, so giving it to everyone is fair), or create a 5f input buffer when you have someone in hitstun. (this is how it works in BB and I believe SG)

Making both hard would work as well, failed links would be a lot safer, might make the game resemble ST more.
People keep saying BB has a 5f buffer but it isn't true. You hold the button to repeat an input for up to 5f. It's basically an auto-plink. You still have to have the button pushed on the frame where input can be accepted. As a consequence of this, CS1 Ragna still had a 1f link combo where you had to 66(1f) then 5A(5f) in a 6f window.

VF has a true buffer where you can put in inputs and then they will execute when the input window opens.

alstein

hold the button to repeat the input is best.

Stuff like that Ragna combo, I don't mind stuff like that having a 1f window, as long as it's a small bonus and not necessary to play the char at high level.

notworksafe

1F links required for high level are fine by me. Some characters are going to be harder than play than others. Some characters are going to reward execution more than others.

The bigger issue I see is stuff like move assist and such messing with the way I play. See: Hakan full screen spds instead of slides.

xCobalt

The bigger issue I see is stuff like move assist and such messing with the way I play. See: Hakan full screen spds instead of slides.

That's more the players fault than the game's. I'm guessing you're doing something silly like jump back or neutral jump into slide. Even then a spd shouldn't come out unless you end the motion with up forward. Clean up your inputs.

notworksafe

That's more the players fault than the game's. I'm guessing you're doing something silly like jump back or neutral jump into slide. Even then a spd shouldn't come out unless you end the motion with up forward. Clean up your inputs.
except i have no problem with those inputs in any other game like that (tager in bb for instance). shit even infiltration has had problems with full screen hakan spds.

thanks for the advice though. now i know what ttob felt like.

Kimosabae

Banned
The input system in this game still makes me want to break things. I honestly feel this is the hardest game I've had to learn, execution wise, in large part due to the input system. Part of it is me still not being completely comfy on stick, but it's also because the input buffer has to be in the back of my mind at every moment during gameplay. That's especially frustrating during intense footsies, where gameplay can't be as predicted or quantified . There's nothing like getting an half-expected CH cl. Fierce with Viper only to get EX Seismo after the feint cancel because you weren't conscious you were holding forward just a moment before. It's a constant source of neuroses for me. It's like trying to play tackle football on ice or something.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Bat tops are good. :)

And Silent buttons makes a huge difference. No more loud ass clicky noises. Now if I can only get the stick silent too.

xCobalt

And Silent buttons makes a huge difference. No more loud ass clicky noises. Now if I can only get the stick silent too.

I always wanted silent buttons but I don't think they're available in Canada. How much quieter are they really? I always assumed part or most of the noise comes from your skin slamming into the plastic.

Those old-school US-style joysticks are making a huge comeback. The Infiltration Effect, I wonder?

Next for me, though, is a hitbox. You could have some really unorthodox, grimy play with one of those. I don't know if I'd use it much for SF, though.

I always wanted silent buttons but I don't think they're available in Canada. How much quieter are they really? I always assumed part or most of the noise comes from your skin slamming into the plastic.

i put in the button silencers from Paradise Arcade which help. i think a good comparison would be like typing on a computer keyboard from the early 90s, to typing on a typical office computer keyboard today. there's still noise, but you don't get a distinct click and the presses sound more muffled in a way.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. Seems a huge part of the noise is just plastic hitting each other. Silent buttons negate that. Normal buttons you can lightly press it and it won't be as noisy as typical pressing during actual gaming but the silent buttons, no matter how hard you press it the noise level is the same so you can beat up on it and it won't make that very loud clicky sound.

Threi

notag
keyword: Canada

shipping prices are freaking ridiculous for those online stores ($9 min shipping on silencers which are about 50 cents). That's from focusattack.

Paradisearcade? $20.

USD

I think I'm finally getting settled in with Cammy. I should probably play Fei every once in a while to keep him fresh, but I've always been the type to focus on one character only. In a way, it's like I never played him at all.

Cammy is just a nice package all around. One big point is her walk speed; it's just so good. The few games I've played as Fei since the switch, I feel like I'm shuffling around. The only motion character with comparable speed is pretty much Akuma, maybe a few others. I really like Juri, the times I accidentally pick her when mashing A on the select screen (lol, usually when switching from Endless to Ranked or vice versa, which resets character selection), but god, it's like walking through molasses...

I've pretty much got her combos down. Not just being able to land the combos themselves, but being able to recognize the spacing and adjust them as needed. I do have a combo reference sheet, but I've most got the character-specific things down so that I'm doing the right combos. Si if I do catch with that EX Cannon Strike, I will hurt you as much as your character's hurtboxes allow, hahaha. Still need to work on overall execution though. I miss EX Strikes less than I used to, but getting random Arrows and Spikes in footsies can be asking for death.

I think the match-ups I struggle with the most as Cammy are Ken and Balrog. With Ken, it's mostly his moving throw, and the threat revolving around that. His ambiguous jump-ins (after taking the throw) and to a lesser extent Forward Step Kick are also a nuisance. Against Balrog, I think I'm probably just playing the match-up off, but that doesn't make his crouch HK any less annoying. I like being able to move around freely, but sweep keeps that in check. And because of that, I end up holding down-back more than I like and eating tick throws. I just need to find some players in Endless and grind until I understand how to counter both characters more effectively.

Overall though, I think I've gotten my Cammy to about the same level as my Fei. Better in some ways, worse in others. After four years of playing this damn game, I finally can actually play another character, hahaha. I still play her with my own, somewhat restricted style. Hooligan Combination doesn't exist, even as a tech trap. EX Strike I normally use as a low-risk, high-reward hop kick, kept at spacing, timing and height that makes them safe from Focus and all but the fastest reactions. Limiting the use of some her tools and options certainly isn't a good thing, but I think it also helps me to keep focus on what I want to do. Maybe I'll be able to incorporate more things as I improve.

It might be hard for me to give Cammy up once Ultra rolls around. She's getting toned down, but she'll likely still be intact for the most part. At the very least, I'm no longer dead set on just picking Poison, who just seems kinda plain in comparison. Juri is getting some nice improvements, and I've though about playing her since Ver.2012. I guess it all depends on how things end up. USFIV is scheduled to hit arcade in April, so it won't be too much longer until things get locked down to their final positions. Just waiting and watching until then.

Kioshen

Depends on which stick module you have but I've been very satisfied with Toodle's Spark Optical replacement sensor for the Sanwa JLF. You will probably need to adjust the tension with additionnal springs but it drastically reduced the noise coming the stick.

I've imported mine from focusattack and yes the noise comes from the top part hitting the socket of the button. They need a little "burn-in" period until they feel confortable again because they will feel way more squishy at first but it goes away with use.

It reduced enough of the noise that my wife got off my back for playing when she wasn't sleeping. She was pretty close to throwing my TE out the window if I didn't do something about the noise :(.

notworksafe

I've used a couple silent sticks and I hate them all. The opticals are too floaty (if that makes sense) and I can't tell what I'm doing. The silent microswitch ones are too mushy. Feels like playing in mud.

Eventually a good one will come along, but until then I'll stick with the loud ones I've got. And I'm sure there won't ever be silent American or Korean sticks so I'll keep those forever.

jlai

I've used a couple silent sticks and I hate them all. The opticals are too floaty (if that makes sense) and I can't tell what I'm doing. The silent microswitch ones are too mushy. Feels like playing in mud.

Eventually a good one will come along, but until then I'll stick with the loud ones I've got. And I'm sure there won't ever be silent American or Korean sticks so I'll keep those forever.

clean up your inputs

Marz

Calm down little guy.

LakeEarth

I'm looking into getting a new character too, someone I haven't put much time into. But not Cammy. I don't like playing characters I'll get hate mail over using.

I think Dudley or Cody. I never really tried either of them beyond getting a grasp of their normals, specials and easiest combos.

El Sloth

Banned
Does anyone here play Fei on PSN? I don't know the matchup and need the experience. Got bopped by a Fei player from my school and had no idea what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom