• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dis thread as of late.

XnoYS.gif

Onemic

Don't even try to start that "oh u just dont wanna block scrub lolz" garbage please. I am very aware of the importance of blocking on wakeup as much as anyone in this forum. The point is he has no choice but to block on wakeup, or in any neutral situation. The better your character's reversal options are, the better it is to actually do nothing and block. If your opponent is respecting your wakeup options, by doing nothing you can get off scot-free. The point here is DeeJay currently doesn't even have this luxury. There is no "guessing" game here, its either you block the hit or try to do something unsafe that will most likely get stuffed anyways. Which would be fine if he had a real solid strength to counter that weakness...but he doesn't. Its all mediocre strengths with small to large weaknesses.

And sometimes it's not even about the reversal hitting. It would be nice to just see it blocked just to create a bit of space or break in the momentum...but that doesn't happen with this char.

To put it simply: there's a big difference between having options and choosing not to use them, and having no options at all.

So do you think Deejay will still be shit in Ultra?

So do you think Deejay will still be shit in Ultra?

With how it looks like the meta is changing with delayed wakeup, it feels like Deejay's ambiguous cross up game will be damaged by it, and his fireball on their wakeup pressure.

I still don't understand why he's one of the weakest characters in the game. He damage and stun output is laughable. His throw range and throw damage is sad. Find it weird that Capcom gave him extra hitstun from FADC on his m.Sobat kick instead of his heavy :/ Can't have Deejay doing too much damage now.

Dis thread as of late.

XnoYS.gif

I know, I know, it feels so empty without me. But I'm in dat NFL vortex right now. All my energy is focused on getting Peyton Manning his 2nd Super Bowl. SF4 will have to wait.

It would be nice if the updated changes to USF4 were released more frequently. But it gets boring to be left in the dark for so long.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One of three things I've been telling the Illuminati all the time that I hate/wanted to get rid of are shortcuts. The others being unblockables and option selects.

LakeEarth

Yes, I don't understand their logic behind Deejay for Ultra. He's low tier, delayed wakeup screws up a major part of his offense, and to make up for it they're minorly buffing some normals or something.

...but all upkicks, mk, hk, and ex sobat are already unthrowable...

...that is completely missing the issue...

It's a start.

They should revert his nerf from Super -> AE by making his lk.Sobat unthrowable too.

After thinking about it.. this is actually a really mediocre change :/.. I'm happy Combofiend at least realizes that Deejay is ass.

It just seems like they don't know shit about about Dee Jay and are buffing random shit hoping it will work.

I mean they had the thread for suggestions and half of the Deejay players asked for the same thing; exMGU having some invincibility.. guess they took it as throw invincibility lol

xCobalt

One of three things I've been telling the Illuminati all the time that I hate/wanted to get rid of are shortcuts. The others being unblockables and option selects.

Hasn't OS been in the games since SF2? I feel like if they wanted to remove it, they would have done so by now.

alstein

Been playing a bit of Juri lately- really hope she doesn't lose dive kick off jumpbacks. It's not like it's abusable, and it's great to sniff folks out.

That said, it would make the Gief/Juri matchup fairer, but she has trouble vs shotos, and I suspect that matchup would get worse.

Been playing a bit of Juri lately- really hope she doesn't lose dive kick off jumpbacks. It's not like it's abusable, and it's great to sniff folks out.

That said, it would make the Gief/Juri matchup fairer, but she has trouble vs shotos, and I suspect that matchup would get worse.

I have a list of attacks that I think are cheap

jump back dive kicks are cheap.

she is losing jump back divekick. its cheap for characters with a good one but hers is bad. if it does hit you get 2 follow ups. ex pin and ultra 2. if it doesnt hit you get hit with the biggest full punishes from the entire cast unless they blocked with their toes. Capcom is fucking juris...oh but at least ultra 2 hits with the feet now? I cant be sure.

Rufus divekick. Grounded Long Hitstun. full combo Jumpback dk cheap.
Cammy divekick Grounded SUPERLONG hitstun. ANY COMBO jumpback dk cheap
Twins divekick Grounded Medium hitstun good combos jumpback dk cheap
Juri Divekick. Knocks down. 2 follows ups one having required the loss of at least 405 health the other costing meter jump back dk irrelevant.

Oh and the real thing she is gonna lose in the shoto matchup is her jump feirce being a knockdown. it used to trade/beat dps now it hits like a regular normal...juri is in the air for a long time after that jump feirce stops being active in the few optimal use situations it had. now she gets comboed for hitting jump feirce.

alstein

she is losing jump back divekick. its cheap for characters with a good one but hers is bad. if it does hit you get 2 follow ups. ex pin and ultra 2. if it doesnt hit you get hit with the biggest full punishes from the entire cast unless they blocked with their toes. Capcom is fucking juris...oh but at least ultra 2 hits with the feet now? I cant be sure.

Juri Divekick. Knocks down. 2 follows ups one having required the loss of at least 405 health the other costing meter jump back dk irrelevant.

Oh and the real thing she is gonna lose in the shoto matchup is her jump feirce being a knockdown. it used to trade/beat dps now it hits like a regular normal...juri is in the air for a long time after that jump feirce stops being active in the few optimal use situations it had. now she gets comboed for hitting jump feirce.

Depends what the hitstun/blockstun will be for a jump fierce before I consider it a nerf or a buff.

Really Juri didn't need a whole lot- she just needed what she had to work better- I would have done the U2 buff and made EX pinwheel move horizontally faster the first few frames so it would be easier to use it to go through fireballs.

xCobalt

The twins can't do jump back dk. Rufus can but there is so little active frames and its at such an awkward angle that I don't think you can combo after it even if it hits.

The twins can't do jump back dk. Rufus can but there is so little active frames and its at such an awkward angle that I don't think you can combo after it even if it hits.

It's pretty tight but if done low enough to the ground AFAIK it's possible to combo. The reason you'd use it is to avoid a fireball or do some janky punish to something like a teleport or a Psycho Crusher.

El Sloth

Banned
You still looking for someone to play? I can (try to) help out. My Fei is pretty rusty though, haha.

PSN ID: SelfDecepticon
Sorry, I didn't see this. Sure! I'd appreciate any sort of experience, rusty or otherwise. I don't end up learning much running into random Feis on ranked for only a single game.

Adding you.

the post wasnt explaining their jumpback dks it was explaining why it made sense for the others not to have one but it was irrelevant for juri to have one

Also glad that Juri is getting grey damage on her Parry/Dodge attack or whatever it is.

never understood why she never took any damage for dodging an attack but every other character does

notworksafe

Dese Juri nerfs :|

Whatever, Cammy is still gonna be okay so I'll just keep playing her. Plus Rolento, Hugo, and Poison are options I want to try out as well, especially dat HUUUGO.

xCobalt

Also glad that Juri is getting grey damage on her Parry/Dodge attack or whatever it is.

never understood why she never took any damage for dodging an attack but every other character does

I don't really see the issue with it. It's not like its a bad thing to have unique properties on a character. It doesn't really lead to much either whereas Gouken/Dudley instantly counters back with an attack.

Thinking about it now, it would have been cool if the parry that moves Juri forward led to some kind of grab like El Fuerte's.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Played some SSF IV with a coworker these last couple of weeks and found out something funny regarding expectations.

Hes a game designer, knowledgeable guy and talked like he cared about the game, Im the best or second best player in the office, so I take him as a serious player.

We play 3 games and he kicks my ass. I was eating every move he threw. No contest.

Then, he goes to play against the other guy whos best in the studio and gets his ass kicked.

Thats when I realized, hes a complete flowchart Ryu. All fierce DPs, all unsafe moves, no mindgames no nothing. I needed to treat him as a player that didnt really know how to play the game.

Played about 10+ games with him since, havent lost once.

Be careful with expectations in a fighting game, theyll fuck you up!

ScOULaris

Played some SSF IV with a coworker these last couple of weeks and found out something funny regarding expectations.

Hes a game designer, knowledgeable guy and talked like he cared about the game, Im the best or second best player in the office, so I take him as a serious player.

We play 3 games and he kicks my ass. I was eating every move he threw. No contest.

Then, he goes to play against the other guy whos best in the studio and gets his ass kicked.

Thats when I realized, hes a complete flowchart Ryu. All fierce DPs, all unsafe moves, no mindgames no nothing. I needed to treat him as a player that didnt really know how to play the game.

Played about 10+ games with him since, havent lost once.

Be careful with expectations in a fighting game, theyll fuck you up!

Sounds like he went full Ghandi on you. Everyone who plays fighting games needs to learn how to adapt to the random play style of these types of players.

I was about to bring up Ghandi to but Scoul beat me to it. We've all run into these kind of players online who keep throwing out unsafe moves at random times and we somehow lost to them, sometimes more than once, it happens. What's even more irritating is running into the guy who do this but will actually make adjustments during the match or rematches lol.

I was about to bring up Ghandi to but Scoul beat me to it. We've all run into these kind of players online who keep throwing out unsafe moves at random times and we somehow lost to them, sometimes more than once, it happens. What's even more irritating is running into the guy who do this but will actually make adjustments during the match or rematches lol.

lmao I hate when that happens.

I cross up, get DP'd before I can get a jab out. Okay.

Cross up, bait DP, get grabbed lol

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
lmao I hate when that happens.

I cross up, get DP'd before I can get a jab out. Okay.

Cross up, bait DP, get grabbed lol

Don't go for crossup against those types of players :)

Literally just get a lifelead and lame it out, their ground game isn't better than yours so let them hang themselves.

Septimius

So i've never had such a long bout with any Street Fighter game. Been spending the last couple of weeks playing probably an hour every day, but with the intention of upping my game. At least half the time has been spent in training, and I've been sanitizing my inputs. I can jump punish consistently, and I can finally judge on which punish combo to use, and not just have the one canned response. I'm a Ryu player (because Daigo, yes. Seriously).

I can't hit-confirm, though. I guess that's next. My take down game probably should be a bit more varied. My zoning is great, though. Played an Akuma that had a good vortex, but poor foundations. He jumped on my DP like three times in a row. I zoned and DP'ed. Then I got a "noob spammer" message from him afterwards. Good times.

I did my first FADC to Ultra combo in a match yesterday. It felt so awesome. Also went from 600 PP to 900 yesterday, so I think some pieces are falling into place. Then I'll probably play today and go back down to 500. Anyway, having a great amount of fun with the game. I'm finally feeling my foundamentals are good enough to let my mind focus on other things.

Some questions off of the top of my head:

1) Is there ever a reason to jump in with MK instead of HK, besides cross-ups? Does it have better forward range?
2) I see Daigo using the jump-combo type HK, FP, LK-tatsu, MP DP, is this because it is less punishable, in case something goes wrong? I think I see them on jump-punishes, but HK, HP, HP DP would do more damage.
3) What does Reversal do? I know what it is, but does it give your attack any special properties like Counter Attack does? I think I read that it gives Armor Piercing?

I'm OK at footsies and poking, but not really at dealing damaging combos from a hit. I basically don't know any jab-starting combos. I guess that'll be my next focus, too.

But hey, I can FADC. I practice on santizing my input there, too, every day, so it seems to inch towards being OK to do. I also made a switch to play on my PS4 on my TV, and instead hooked up the PS4 to my 1ms latency PC monitor. Man, I had to rework a lot of my timing. That TV has a lot of input latency.

this is fucking stupid. do you know she can be hit out of her counter? thats why she didnt take damage. now she gets full comboed for even attempting it. I would be ok if it took damage like other counters but always activated like other counters. juri's moveset shrinks from 5 moves to 2. fireballs and ex pinwheels.

xCobalt

1) Is there ever a reason to jump in with MK instead of HK, besides cross-ups? Does it have better forward range?
2) I see Daigo using the jump-combo type HK, FP, LK-tatsu, MP DP, is this because it is less punishable, in case something goes wrong? I think I see them on jump-punishes, but HK, HP, HP DP would do more damage.
3) What does Reversal do? I know what it is, but does it give your attack any special properties like Counter Attack does? I think I read that it gives Armor Piercing?

1. jump mk starts up faster so you'll be less likely to get hit out of it. If you play against a character that anti airs with normals, mixing up your jump ins can be really useful. I play gouken and my primary anti air is crouching hp. Some characters can jump in with lp and it'll usually beat my hp. I'll have to switch to a different anti air and at that point, the opponent can start altering their jump ins, making me guess.

2. I imagine the first combo builds more meter and I'm guessing with Daigo, he has some setup afterwards with MP DP.

3. Reversals have armor breaking properties. I believe it occurs the first frame you're out of blockstun or waking up. In low level play, you'll probably see people use focus attack on your wakeup and you can just reversal dp to get out.

this is fucking stupid. do you know she can be hit out of her counter? thats why she didnt take damage. now she gets full comboed for even attempting it. I would be ok if it took damage like other counters but always activated like other counters. juri's moveset shrinks from 5 moves to 2. fireballs and ex pinwheels.

I just looked at the latest Juri changes and she seems like a much better character. She got like 2 or 3 nerfs, a handful of buffs and some that doesn't seem to do anything. Overall though, she has better normals both in and out of Feng Shui. Anti air EX Fireball does 120 damage now which also gives her followup combos more damage (can she connect U2 off it?). Based on the wording, she can still do jump back ex dive kick and now she can alter the trajectory and followups? Do you really think Capcom is fucking juri?

Btw, other counters don't always work. Dudley's cross counter whiffs all the time against jump ins and Gouken's counter hitbox is smaller than its hurtbox so if the opponent is out of range, nothing will happen.

Septimius

1. jump mk starts up faster so you'll be less likely to get hit out of it. If you play against a character that anti airs with normals, mixing up your jump ins can be really useful. I play gouken and my primary anti air is crouching hp. Some characters can jump in with lp and it'll usually beat my hp. I'll have to switch to a different anti air and at that point, the opponent can start altering their jump ins, making me guess.

2. I imagine the first combo builds more meter and I'm guessing with Daigo, he has some setup afterwards with MP DP.

3. Reversals have armor breaking properties. I believe it occurs the first frame you're out of blockstun or waking up. In low level play, you'll probably see people use focus attack on your wakeup and you can just reversal dp to get out.

Sweet. Thanks. With setups, do you mean like after a forward throw with Ryu, if you do a LP DP, you can do a tatsu that will cross up? So that it's a distance thing? Cause this is a corner-combo, where it seems there would be ways to damage more than that. I just remember seeing it at Dreamhack and TGS. I'll check back on the situations it was at. If I can bear to watch through TGS Daigo vs Infiltration. It has the most awkward commentating ever. I dunno what happened with Zhieeeep there, but he wouldn't stop talking about abortions.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sounds like he went full Ghandi on you. Everyone who plays fighting games needs to learn how to adapt to the random play style of these types of players.

Yeah, Ive played with plenty of people like that online ... which makes it harder because of the lag.

Its like others have said, you want to have a fun match, but when somebody throws random ultras, random dp's and only knows how to use the fierce normals, it takes the fun out of it a bit, all you gotta do is play some defense and punish (especially when you main a character with low health like Ibuki)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom