• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Juri's counter was already not as good as other counters, now it's getting even shittier. Calling it "cheating" or the changes a good thing shows a misunderstanding of how the move works compared to other counters.

That's why cool kids play Cammy :D

xCobalt

Sweet. Thanks. With setups, do you mean like after a forward throw with Ryu, if you do a LP DP, you can do a tatsu that will cross up? So that it's a distance thing? Cause this is a corner-combo, where it seems there would be ways to damage more than that. I just remember seeing it at Dreamhack and TGS. I'll check back on the situations it was at. If I can bear to watch through TGS Daigo vs Infiltration. It has the most awkward commentating ever. I dunno what happened with Zhieeeep there, but he wouldn't stop talking about abortions.

Yeah thats a setup. It's just something you follow up with after a certain situation has occurred. It's not always about the damage, it can be about what you can get afterwards. I don't play Ryu but ending with mp dp could leave Daigo at a position where he can get a setup whereas hp dp could have too many total frames (ie: how long it takes the move to complete). For all I know, there isn't a setup at all and Daigo is just optimizing his meter gain which is very important for Ryu.

Septimius

Yeah thats a setup. It's just something you follow up with after a certain situation has occurred. It's not always about the damage, it can be about what you can get afterwards. I don't play Ryu but ending with mp dp could leave Daigo at a position where he can get a setup whereas hp dp could have too many total frames (ie: how long it takes the move to complete). For all I know, there isn't a setup at all and Daigo is just optimizing his meter gain which is very important for Ryu.

Thanks. Man. Tons of things to think about. I like it.

xCobalt

Version 1.1 of KingBlackToof's USF4 PC mod is out

I made them into 1-click exe files to make things easier: just put it in the sf4 folder, double click which version you want to play, and it will change all the files for you (make sure you press overwrite all when it asks though)

http://tinyurl.com/USF4MOD

Can you (or anyone else with the mod) test something out for me? I wanna know if these new combos work for Gouken:

1. cl.HP xx fireball, cr.MP xx fireball
2. Counter hit Overhead, cr.LP xx light palm

Both in the corner.

alstein

Juri's supposed to be getting a ton of buffs to go with these nerfs (that said, those buffs would make her a char I wouldn't want to play - the nerfed moves are why I like Juri)

AutumnAve

Ix8MtUD.gif

Ken buffs make me happy, won't make me a better player, though.

USD

Middle of fucking america.

Oklahoma

Makoto Ultra 2 projectile invuln my ass.

Yeah this is unplayable, maybe some other day.
Abare Tosanami is only invincible to the wall. After that, it's just speed and a strong hitbox covering you. They are planning on making it projectile invincible in USFIV though. *shrug*

Man... I got a LONG way to go before I'm good at this game. A week with Ibuki and I'm starting to win some matches, but am getting blown out.

Played some matches with my friend who plays Balrog... I had his number last week, but he had mine this week. I'm not very safe. That's my biggest problem. Don't really know how to get good setups and punish, either.

I beat one dude with 4000 bp's who had already beat me the first round and 70 percent of my health in the second. I started taunting, mostly because I knew it was over and I was making light of how overmatched I was. I dunno what happened... I went stupid and he went angry and I somehow won.

Man... I got a LONG way to go before I'm good at this game. A week with Ibuki and I'm starting to win some matches, but am getting blown out.

Played some matches with my friend who plays Balrog... I had his number last week, but he had mine this week. I'm not very safe. That's my biggest problem. Don't really know how to get good setups and punish, either.

I beat one dude with 4000 bp's who had already beat me the first round and 70 percent of my health in the second. I started taunting, mostly because I knew it was over and I was making light of how overmatched I was. I dunno what happened... I went stupid and he went angry and I somehow won.

neckbreaker. walk forward and do forward short. then j.short or forward... ibuki wins.

neckbreaker. walk forward and do forward short. then j.short or forward... ibuki wins.

I'm a complete rookie at this. Only been using a stick for a month, and Ibuki for a week now. I'm just having a lot of fun and I'm having to adapt to a world where I'm 3 years late.

My friend would crouch, throw three jabs then a sweep (or a HB if he was able to link, which was rare, fortunately). How do I punish this shit? I hate the Boxer matchup, and I had to play about 35 matches tonight, and I probably won 9 of them. The problem I have is I can't punish anything he does except for a headbutt. It feels like Boxer beats everything Ibuki has. And, if I do 10 things right, Boxer only has to do 1 thing right to get about the same amount of damage.

I had a lot of luck once I discovered how good the ->+Sp(強) was at messing with these cheap turtle tactics, but I still am unaware of how to use these moves safely.

That's where I need work. I am incredibly unsafe and although I can execute a few combos, I don't know how to set them up besides jump-in Target Combos. The way I see it, the only way to get better is to get your ass beat over and over again. If I won all the time, then I'd never stop doing the same stuff.

yea. the westcoast to midwest connection ... not so great. ggs though.

Was it that bad? We play from Cali to NC and although it's laggy, it's still quite playable. I've played a lot of GAF'ers from Cali like Jlai, Edge, BV, and so on and like I said, it's always been playable even if it's kind of laggy. I do remember one time trying to play PirateBen on PSN and he's from the UK, that didn't go so well.

I'm a complete rookie at this. Only been using a stick for a month, and Ibuki for a week now. I'm just having a lot of fun and I'm having to adapt to a world where I'm 3 years late.

My friend would crouch, throw three jabs then a sweep (or a HB if he was able to link, which was rare, fortunately). How do I punish this shit? I hate the Boxer matchup, and I had to play about 30 matches tonight, and I probably won 9 of them. The problem I have is I can't punish anything he does except for a headbutt. It feels like Boxer beats everything Ibuki has. And, if I do 10 things right, Boxer only has to do 1 thing right to get about the same amount of damage.

I had a lot of luck once I discovered how good the ->+Sp(強) was at messing with these cheap turtle tactics, but I still am unaware of how to use these moves safely.

That's where I need work. I am incredibly unsafe and although I can execute a few combos, I don't know how to set them up besides jump-in Target Combos. The way I see it, the only way to get better is to get your ass beat over and over again. If I won all the time, then I'd never stop doing the same stuff.

i think the jabs into roundhouse is a boxer option select from to catch mashers. you really can't punish boxer's moves close up unless you frametrap him with s.forward which is pretty rare. your best bet is to play the midrange game by catching bad rush punches with neckbreaker or c.strong into neckbreaker. boxer is pretty good at being anti vortex when he has meter to ex rush out out of setups.

Was it that bad? We play from Cali to NC and although it's laggy, it's still quite playable. I've played a lot of GAF'ers from Cali like Jlai, Edge, BV, and so on and like I said, it's always been playable even if it's kind of laggy. I do remember one time trying to play PirateBen on PSN and he's from the UK, that didn't go so well.

it was pretty bad. the matches disconnected a couple of times.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Juri's counter was already not as good as other counters, now it's getting even shittier. Calling it "cheating" or the changes a good thing shows a misunderstanding of how the move works compared to other counters.

That's why cool kids play Cammy :D
It had a 3f startup and then led into a predetermined movement that could be punished. You know what's really cheating? Block. Starts in 1f and lets you stay where you are with no recovery.

(she has better(worse) normals both in and out of Feng Shui.)
Which are currently wonky because of how much pushback on her normals she has she will get close/far normals at far/close range making things worse...oh but she can do c.lk to c.mk as a real combo now instead of CH only. her j.feirce was her tool that kept shotos from getting dp happy. Gone.
(Anti air EX Fireball does 120 damage now which also gives her followup combos more damage can she connect U2 off it?)
Anti-Air Ex Fireball is also still a bad anti-air considering how many good anti-air normals she has. also no. they took that from her after her first nerf.
(Based on the wording, she can still do jump back ex dive kick and now she can alter the trajectory and followups? Do you really think Capcom is fucking juri?)
Jump Back Ex Divekick serves the same purpose as jump back normal divekick. None. her divekick is terribly unsafe while being able to get the 3 ranges from her ex dive is an improvement and being able to get all the hits is an improvement her jump back dk was very rarely used and pretty much only tricked people once. she's a character that has to constantly trick someone because you can standblock her to death.
(Btw, other counters don't always work. Dudley's cross counter whiffs all the time against jump ins and Gouken's counter hitbox is smaller than its hurtbox so if the opponent is out of range, nothing will happen)
Yeah counters dont work when they are out of range...except juris doesnt work IN range.

Threi

notag
Can you (or anyone else with the mod) test something out for me? I wanna know if these new combos work for Gouken:

1. cl.HP xx fireball, cr.MP xx fireball
2. Counter hit Overhead, cr.LP xx light palm

Both in the corner.
Sorry didn't get to try this until just now:

1. it's character specific, works on chars with wide reeling animations (eg. dhalsim). doesn't seem to work too well on shotos.

2. this combo works.

also so jealous of how quick, damaging, and comboable gouken's normals are specials are...its like create-a-combo in the corner

You can just tell when you see a guy with a name like:

"Maggot666" or "Morbid_Satanic_Spider" that they are going to 1. Pick Gouki, Oni, or E. Ryuu, 2. are going to lag and 3. are going to rage quit.

I'm at the point where if you have a metal-sounding name, I ain't fightin' ya ass.

Keylow415

does anyone have a problem on PC having big lag spikes when playing online. i be running fine then I get a big lag when it just crawls to a stop for a few secs then its ok after that. it has cost me a few matches, just wondering if anyone else gets this problem. been playing on pc lately name is Keylow415 hit me up if u see me on. im very mediocre.

xCobalt

Sorry didn't get to try this until just now:

1. it's character specific, works on chars with wide reeling animations (eg. dhalsim). doesn't seem to work too well on shotos.

2. this combo works.

also so jealous of how quick, damaging, and comboable gouken's normals are specials are...its like create-a-combo in the corner

Thanks man. I'm glad combo 2 works. I don't really have a counter hit setup with overhead but its the easiest way to test meaty setups. Gouken can get a meaty overhead reset in the middle of his corner combo. In ultra, he'll have access to a decent 50/50 reset in the corner. Overhead into cr.lp or cr.mp into fireball.

Just wait until you get knocked down with Gouken, then it's like you're using DeeJay again!

Between EX demon flip, counter and tatsu gouken has so many more options than dee jay lol. It's good that its getting better with ex tatsu having a lower hitbox

Between EX demon flip, counter and tatsu gouken has so many more options than dee jay lol. It's good that its getting better with ex tatsu having a lower hitbox

After all these years I don't think Gouken's wake up game is that bad. He has several options, none of them are that good. But those options can help him get out of different situations which at least puts the attacker in a guessing game. In the past certain characters were always considered to have a better wake up game than Gouken because they have a invincible reversal(that hits crouching) and he doesn't. But I don't think it's that simple.

I have a friend who plays Gouken and it can be frustrating to deal with. I cross up, he does parry. I empty jump throw, he tech's. I do low short, he does EX parry. I do cl. HP, he does EX tatsu. I throw, he does EX demon and air parry's my cr. HP and punishes my recovery. He doesn't always guess right, but somehow he makes the right guess more often then me and it's frustrating because I feel like I'm putting myself at risk for attacking him.

Call me crazy but I rather pressure Ryu on wake up then Gouken. At least I know he only has one option(besides back dash), which I could get around and punish him hard for it. I play Evil Ryu and when the roles are reversed he has me on complete lock down. His demon flip dive kick either stuff's my DP or will make it whiff and then I eat a huge punish. He can always go to it and all I can do is either block or use my shitty teleport which gets punished by sweep anyways and puts me back in the same situation because my teleport is so slow. Other characters like Ken, Ryu, or Sagat don't even get that option so they pretty much have to block all the time. But when Gouken faces himself in a mirror he is forced to play that guessing game that he doesn't have to against those other characters.

Viper's wake up is pretty much a better version of Gouken's. Nothing too OP, but so many options to cover almost every way you can think of to attack her on wake up. One time I was in a endless room with other GAF'ers and I remember seeing Jlai trying to bait RB into DP'ing him with a backdash. Problem is that RB did EX seismo instead and it caught the backdash and then he won the round with a Ultra. Stuff like that makes you want to sit back and just throw a fireball to avoid stupid shit from happening.

To summarize, I think several decent wake up options > 1 invincible DP. Man I said a lot more than I thought I was going to. I edited this post like 6 times adding and rearranging my words lol.

xCobalt

After all these years I don't think Gouken's wake up game is that bad. He has several options, none of them are that good. But those options can help him get out of different situations which at least puts the attacker in a guessing game. Call me crazy but I rather pressure Ryu on wake up then Gouken. At least I know he only has one option(besides back dash), which I could get around and punish him hard for it.

I have a friend who plays Gouken and it can be frustrating to deal with. I cross up, he does parry. I empty jump throw, he tech's. I do low short, he does EX parry. I do cl. HP, he does EX tatsu. I throw, he does EX demon and air parry's my cr. HP and punishes my recovery. He doesn't always guess right, but somehow he makes the right guess more often then me and it's frustrating because I feel like I'm putting myself at risk for attacking him.

Viper's wake up is pretty much a better version of Gouken's. Nothing too OP, but so many options to cover almost every way you can think of to attack her on wake up. One time I was in a endless room with other GAF'ers and I remember seeing Jlai trying to bait RB into DP'ing him with a backdash. Problem is that RB did EX seismo instead and it caught the backdash and then he won the round with a Ultra. Stuff like that makes you want to sit back and just throw a fireball to avoid stupid shit from happening.

Agreed. I used to think gouken had terrible wakeup but I ended up realizing I just had terrible defense (I still do lol). Gouken is one of the few characters that can be tough to option select against because one of his escape option will usually beat the OS. Choosing what to wake up with gets easier the more familiar you are with the matchup. For example, if a Ryu player has me in the corner, I'm way more likely to do ex demon flip compared to other options. It beats out Ryu's ex tatsu and the dive kick followup hits him grounded. If he tries to walk underneath it, demon flip slide will usually keep tracking and sweep him from the same side. Doing nothing will let me hit the dive kick and hopefully give me some breathing room.

Threi

notag
To summarize, I think several decent wake up options > 1 invincible DP

Agree wholeheartedly with this. That is also why I feel Bison has the best wakeup in the entire game. Not even that he has so many options, but also the threat of having so many options makes players hesitant to pressure him, trying to guess something, which can make him get away scott-free without doing anything.

Sometimes the threat is all you need. Without it players tend to just straight bully you mercilessly, which in actuality is tougher to deal with, no matter what character you are.

MIMIC

Banned

If you stick with Ibuki, you are gonna get SO many perfects down the road. lol

If you stick with Ibuki, you are gonna get SO many perfects down the road. lol

Here's hoping. I'm putting in the work, that's for sure. One problem is it's SO tempting as a new Ibuki player to target combo the sweep for that awesome free damage, bounce up and make them guess whether you are going to come in high, low, or throw. I'm not going to act like it isn't effective, but if I had the confidence to jump in with TC 1 (or other jump-in TC) into a TC 4 and finish with a tsumuji, kubi-ori, or raida, I'd be in much better position, I feel. Then, I could try to cheese them with the kunai vortex, which I am afraid to rely on because I fail to execute it properly more often than not. (I'll land the kunai, but I land too late to do some damage due to poor timing and positioning)

Also, I have had people who ragequit on Ibuki as soon as they see her on the character select screen. That's when I knew that I should stick with it.

Kaleinc

Banned
That is also why I feel Bison has the best wakeup in the entire game. Not even that he has so many options, but also the threat of having so many options makes players hesitant to pressure him, trying to guess something, which can make him get away scott-free without doing anything.
What is the threat if you can safely meaty all his moves including ultras for free? Just OS or react.

Kimosabae

Banned
The constant harping on Gouken's wakeup game is laughable. Not having an invincible DP =/= bad wakeup options. By and large, Gouken players make his wakeup worse than it really is by cycling through his bait-able options via guesswork instead of trying to read the mixup and block or taking the throw. Blocking IS a valid wakeup option and it's the safest one. But playing online means that it may take a few matches for you to start blocking some mixups correctly and ain't nobody got time for that.

I suspect it's the same for Deejay but I don't know enough about the character to say with confidence.

Threi

notag
I suspect it's the same for Deejay but I don't know enough about the character to say with confidence.
You would almost be right. He has a solution for everything except low strikes (Which can be done with impunity), problem being that any neutral situation afterward (i.e. blocking) at close or mid range is at his disadvantage, he has to really create space for himself. I say this because even after a blocked mixup/blockstring/teched throw, for deejay his best option is to keep blocking. Even on a right guess the risk to even press a button is too great. To truly get himself into a neutral situation, he will have to take huge, unsafe risks (and I'm not talking about just his specials here). He is just bad defensively...but lacks the strengths of chars that are also bad defensively, Also, unlike gouken, blocking some mixups actively removes some of his toolset (due to him being a charge char)

...but like you just admitted you don't know much about his (lack of) options, which is common and pretty much what deejay players rely on. See dakou vs team canada.

What is the threat if you can safely meaty all his moves including ultras for free? Just OS or react.
Only wakeup option bison has that can be meatied is ex pc though...teleport gets you away (unless in the corner), committing to a meaty means you can't reaction punish teleport. Then you have ex devil's reverse (slightly risky), ex scissors (very risky), ex headstomp (unsafe), and a good backdash. For a player wanting to capatalize on knockdown that is a lot to look out for.

Also "just OS"? Not every character can "just OS". Certainly not enough to cover all of bison's wakeup options. Ryu can of course but its definitely not universal.

LakeEarth

I played a wild Deejay who did something on every wakeup. EX Sobat kept getting me, even though I remembered Threi talking about "free to low strikes". Was I being too meaty? Should I have been delaying my attack so that it'd be active when EX Sobat invulnerability ran out?

Threi

notag
I played a wild Deejay who did something on every wakeup. EX Sobat kept getting me, even though I remembered Threi talking about "free to low strikes". Was I being too meaty? Should I have been delaying my attack so that it'd be active when EX Sobat invulnerability ran out?
Depends on what button you hit. A meaty low strike (low short) should recover before ex sobat hits (unless you press something else and get counterhit). When talking about stuffing all his wakeup options I do say low strikes but think more like ryu c.mp.

Put it this way: its a 15f startup move with the first 7f being inv frames. You want the active frame of your normal to hit after that (or you want your entire normal to recover before that).

...or you can just switch sides on a hard knockdown to avoid all of that.

Imm0rt4l

The constant harping on Gouken's wakeup game is laughable. Not having an invincible DP =/= bad wakeup options. By and large, Gouken players make his wakeup worse than it really is by cycling through his bait-able options via guesswork instead of trying to read the mixup and block or taking the throw. Blocking IS a valid wakeup option and it's the safest one. But playing online means that it may take a few matches for you to start blocking some mixups correctly and ain't nobody got time for that.

Going by this logic everyone has good wakeup options. But that isnt the case at all, its all relative. Having to guess or rely on a move that is contingent on whether your opponent presses a certain button isn't that strong but its great if you understand the opponents meta game and doesn't involve armor breakers. Dudley on wakeup isn't very strong, but I feel more comfortable with him in that situation because he has 3 frame attacks and decent buttons up close. Gouken can not make counter or ex demonflip safe with FADC. He can however make ex tatsu safe through fadc given that his opponent is STANDING POINT BLANK lest you want to give your opponent a window of >100 frames to ponder on how to max punish you. Wakeup is the bane of his chatacter design. When I fight other goukens I absolutely bully them on wakeup so much that I force them to make desperate unsafe moves to get me off their grill.Because of this they make it their sole purpose to not get knocked down. Their is a reason why the old man fairs so poorly against characters like akuma cammy and hakan. That said Gouken isn't entitled to have strong wakeup, he's a defensive/zoning character.

LakeEarth

Depends on what button you hit. A meaty low strike (low short) should recover before ex sobat hits (unless you press something else and get counterhit). When talking about stuffing all his wakeup options I do say low strikes but think more like ryu c.mp.

Put it this way: its a 15f startup move with the first 7f being inv frames. You want the active frame of your normal to hit after that (or you want your entire normal to recover before that).

...or you can just switch sides on a hard knockdown to avoid all of that.

I was using Sakura's crouching medium kick which has 4 active frames and 13 frames of recovery. If I was trying to meaty low, it'd whiff, it'd depend on my timing whether or not I could block or not. Maybe I should've just spammed jab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom