• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just played against the #1 ranked Gen on 360 and it well the first two rounds. Then the knockdowns occurred. GOD DAMN that boy is ambiguous.

Lol

Yes I was being sarcastic although the timing still sucks

Just get married at Final Round. Shin Blanka will be your FGC priest.

... congrats on getting married! since you'll be back in stockton, you can escape to the monthly sac tournaments that are 36-47 mins away.

I'm actually landing in Sac and will be in Stockton for the weekend. I'd love to get away for some casuals but I don't think I can pull that off unless something is happening on Monday.
Just get married at Final Round. Shin Blanka will be your FGC priest.
I'm Asian, we have rituals and shit we have to follow. I wouldn't even do this if I had a choice. But both our parents are traditional so we basically have no choice but to follow procedure.

I'm actually landing in Sac and will be in Stockton for the weekend. I'd love to get away for some casuals but I don't think I can pull that off unless something is happening on Monday.

I'm Asian, we have rituals and shit we have to follow. I wouldn't even do this if I had a choice. But both our parents are traditional so we basically have no choice but to follow procedure.

you're out of luck :[. most of the casuals/tournaments happen on fridays.

Imm0rt4l

came across an oni player with 6666 pp, 36000 bp grandmaster

seems legit

bodied him. wanted to send him a message calling him a fraud, but I didn't want to be that guy.

Westlo

Can't believe Eventscrubs listed Daigo as the #1 2012 player, top 3 should be Infiltration, Xian and Sako in whatever order period. Massive overrating of FT10's you have no idea how serious Infil and Xian were. As if Infiltration knew that Daigo was going to get bodied by a Viper who got bodied by Choco-blanka or that he was going to run into a really sick Sakura player. Seriously no one would give a shit Daigo beat him 10-2 or whatever if Infiltration beat him 3-0 (or whatever it was) in the final qualifier. Like how no one gives a shit Daigo beat him 3-0 @ 25th anni because Infil came back and won 6-0 in grand finals.

We all know about EX red focus can create new combos. It provides a way for just about every character to combo into Ultra off a move with a lot of hit stun, like a heavy attack. Some character like Ryu can combo into their heavy attack, but the guys who'll have the easiest time are the guys who have a special that doesn't knockdown nor does it have a lot of push back. This is what I found off the top of my head

How about Ken, does combo into tatsu x ex red focus work out alright? Or Cammy say... cl st hp x hk spiral arrow x red focus ex ultra 1?

Grats on the wedding.

But Daigo is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

Plus wasn't it vote oriented?

That's not the preferred nomenclature, but yes, most of the top vote-getters were Asian.

In all seriousness, I haven't been following fighting games very long, but from what I've seen, Infiltration is clearly the best in the world right now. He really adapts well to diverse opponents. I'd like to see him use Hakan and Oni more.

How about Ken, does combo into tatsu x ex red focus work out alright? Or Cammy say... cl st hp x hk spiral arrow x red focus ex ultra 1?

Grats on the wedding.

They work but they just can't be thrown out safely on block and they both require Ken and Cammy to be pretty close to their opponents so they can FADC the first hit of each move. Not the same as Viper or Oni fishing for red focus by spamming their normal x special which are safe on block.

Oh and thanks West, BV and anybody else for the grats.

PS Daigo da bess

Westlo

They work but they just can't be thrown out safely on block and they both require Ken and Cammy to be pretty close to their opponents so they can FADC the first hit of each move. Not the same as Viper or Oni fishing for red focus by spamming their normal x special which are safe on block.

PS Daigo da bess

Ah I was thinking more in terms of combos. Hope the game doesn't devolve into red focus fishing for certain characters.... anyway you able to get some dmg values for say...

EX Divekick (still godmode, thanks Capcom), X cl st hp x hk spiral arrow x red focus x ultra 1?

PS Not in 2012.

Dartastic

Don't know if many people in here have been talking about the most recent change log because i haven't been hanging out in here, but that change to Makoto's Karakusa is awful. AWFUL. It's already so punishable.

Westlo

Don't know if many people in here have been talking about the most recent change log because i haven't been hanging out in here, but that change to Makoto's Karakusa is awful. AWFUL. It's already so punishable.

Better 4 frames than counter hit dmg like Yun, Yang and Fei Long. Unless it already has it.

USD

Better 4 frames than counter hit dmg like Yun, Yang and Fei Long. Unless it already has it.

They took out the counter-hit damage for Tenshin moves in the latest location test, but the scaling they added to them (do 1 damage) is still there.

Ah I was thinking more in terms of combos. Hope the game doesn't devolve into red focus fishing for certain characters.... anyway you able to get some dmg values for say...

EX Divekick (still godmode, thanks Capcom), X cl st hp x hk spiral arrow x red focus x ultra 1?

PS Not in 2012.

Better off skipping the excess and going for EX Strike (if it hits low enough) straight into UC1.

Marz

Can't believe Eventscrubs listed Daigo as the #1 2012 player, top 3 should be Infiltration, Xian and Sako in whatever order period. Massive overrating of FT10's you have no idea how serious Infil and Xian were. As if Infiltration knew that Daigo was going to get bodied by a Viper who got bodied by Choco-blanka or that he was going to run into a really sick Sakura player. Seriously no one would give a shit Daigo beat him 10-2 or whatever if Infiltration beat him 3-0 (or whatever it was) in the final qualifier. Like how no one gives a shit Daigo beat him 3-0 @ 25th anni because Infil came back and won 6-0 in grand finals.

Grats on the wedding.

I think it should be

1. Xian
2. Bonchan
3. Sako
4. Tokido
5. Infiltration

Just tried that combo in the Ultra mod Westlo, damage is 432 but it's actually 438. KBT's mod has level 1 EX red focus doing 80 damage when it should do 90 since it's a 1.5 multiplier from a characters regular focus. And Cammy's is 60 as you should know.

But 438 for a 4 bar combo is simply now worth it. You're probably better off just fishing for super or saving all that meter for EX CS which can easily go into Ultra. Among the characters who can use it effectively, I don't think Yang or Viper players will because they can do similar or better damage for one or two bar. Yun players will have to decide between using Super or this. Mak players can just fish for Ultra using axe kick or command throw.

But it does make sense for Oni and Evil Ryu players to use it though. They both have very high damaging Ultra's that they can't land reliably(with the animation). Combine that with their normal x special + EX red focus and they both do around 500 damage. Which is still much more than even their already very damaging FADC combos so it's definitely worth burning the meter for them when the opportunity presents itself.

Westlo

They took out the counter-hit damage for Tenshin moves in the latest location test, but the scaling they added to them (do 1 damage) is still there.

Ah good, that counter hit change was bullshit.

Better off skipping the excess and going for EX Strike (if it hits low enough) straight into UC1.

True, but yeah it's got to hit low enough and also taking online into account too lol.

I think it should be

1. Xian
2. Bonchan
3. Sako
4. Tokido
5. Infiltration

I don't know if I would personally have Bonchan in my top 5 but Tokido probably would be. I just think if you looked @ all the major events of 2012 an unbiased top 3 would have to be out of Infiltration, Xian and Sako.

But it does make sense for Oni and Evil Ryu players to use it though. They both have very high damaging Ultra's that they can't land reliably(with the animation). Combine that with their normal x special + EX red focus and they both do around 500 damage. Which is still much more than even their already very damaging FADC combos so it's definitely worth burning the meter for them when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for testing, also yeah this does make sense.

Just two more if you don't mind, ken this time.

jumpin fierce x st hk x tatsu x red focus ex ultra 1
cr short, stand jab x tatsu x red focus ex ultra 1 (more realistic lol)

USD

Just tried that combo in the Ultra mod Westlo, damage is 432 but it's actually 438. KBT's mod has level 1 EX red focus doing 80 damage when it should do 90 since it's a 1.5 multiplier from a characters regular focus. And Cammy's is 60 as you should know.

But 438 for a 4 bar combo is simply now worth it. You're probably better off just fishing for super or saving all that meter for EX CS which can easily go into Ultra. Among the characters who can use it effectively, I don't think Yang or Viper players will because they can do similar or better damage for one or two bar. Yun players will have to decide between using Super or this. Mak players can just fish for Ultra using axe kick or command throw.

If you have three bars, why not just go for EX Hado FADC Ultra?

jumpin fierce x st hk x tatsu x red focus ex ultra 1
cr short, stand jab x tatsu x red focus ex ultra 1 (more realistic lol)

First combo doesn't work, too much push back so EX red focus whiffs. 2nd combo isn't possible since cr. LK is +3 on hit and cl. LP is a 4f start up. I tried cr. LK, cr. LP, HK tatsu but for some reason the HK tatsu wouldn't combo even though it would from a cr. LP x HK tatsu. I know I got it right instead of doing a chain, but still it doesn't work.

What does work is J. HP, cr. HP, HK tatsu, EX red focus, Ultra 1 for 508 damage. Or replace HK tatsu with HP SRK for 516.

If you have three bars, why not just go for EX Hado FADC Ultra?

My reactions are terrible, I could never land that reliably in a match. It actually requires skill which I don't have enough of while the red focus method is brain dead easy.

Marz

I don't know if I would personally have Bonchan in my top 5 but Tokido probably would be. I just think if you looked @ all the major events of 2012 an unbiased top 3 would have to be out of Infiltration, Xian and Sako.

Bonchan won Topanga. Most Japanese players consider him the best player in Japan currently.

Westlo

Bonchan won Topanga. Most Japanese players consider him the best player in Japan currently.

And what else has he won over the course of 2012? Infiltration and Xian have won a heap of top tournaments, Sako won an Asian league topanga (and you know force feeding his Evil Ryu in the last one sure paid dividends later) as well as Capcom Cup.

It's not like his 2012 record outshines Fuudo's.

Fuudo

Wins 2nd Topanga league
3rd Asian Topanga league
9th Evo 2012
25th Evo 2013

Bonchan

Wins 3rd Topanga league
4th 2nd Topanga league
5th Asian Topanga league
17th Evo 2013

2012 Tier list, real talk

S+ Tier - Infiltration, Xian, Sako
S Tier - Tokido, Fuudo, Bonchan, Daigo.

Marz

And what else has he won over the course of 2012? Infiltration and Xian have won a heap of top tournaments, Sako won an Asian league topanga (and you know force feeding his Evil Ryu in the last one sure paid dividends later) as well as Capcom Cup.

It's not like his 2012 record outshines Fuudo's.

Fuudo

Wins 2nd Topanga league
3rd Asian Topanga league
9th Evo 2012
25th Evo 2013

Bonchan

Wins 3rd Topanga league
4th 2nd Topanga league
5th Asian Topanga league
17th Evo 2013

2012 Tier list, real talk

S+ Tier - Infiltration, Xian, Sako
S Tier - Tokido, Fuudo, Bonchan, Daigo.

Oh this is all of 2012? Oh OK yea I guess.

Although recent stuff matters a lot more than stuff that happened in 2012 as matchups were still being figured out. Infiltration is nowhere near as dominant as he used to be.

notworksafe

Stay free Rice. Dat married life is a 9-1 matchup. RIP

He would have made a longer post, but Mrs. BV caught him taking a break from cleaning the house.

uSg4ib1.gif

RIP for real

El Sloth

Banned
Congrats, Wife-Eater. Put a Ryu and Sakura figurine on your wedding cake (don't actually do this).

Meh. It's not that big of a deal. Especially since she's looking to be an overall stronger character in Ultra. Besides, it's not final.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It already being so punishable makes the change pretty meaningless.

i don't know about ibuki being advanced. her game is mad simple. get knockdown and do unblockables till death. but yeah, it's probably better to play a charge character or a fireball character to get a better idea on footsies.

As a relative newcomer, I feel she relies on heavily cross-ups and okizeme, and that can be a little difficult if you don't understand how cross-ups and safe-jumps work. For example, I just recently learned that you always block the side the other character is on, not the orientation of your own character. So, on a cross-up, visually counter-intuitively, you have to block as if your character is facing the other direction, even though they aren't. Same when you get a cheeky Dhalsim who does a yoga fireball and TP's to side.

As for Ibuki's safe jumps, I still don't understand why Ibuki has to do a cr.LP before a j.LK. Considering how much I have to learn, and how poor my execution on Stick is, I'd say that while Ibuki might not necessarily be 'advanced,' she sure ain't for beginners like me. I could win by obnoxious flowcharting and playing random/stupid, but against good players I get downloaded faster than a Game of Thrones torrent in Kansas City. I've been using Guile for the past few days, which I think is good for me because he is a character whose strength is in his normals and defense.

I'm sure these are basics to anybody who has been playing FG's long enough. However, it's new to me.

Rice got married again? What are you? One of those traditional Asian guys with multiple wives?

Might as well give a short explanation of it, maybe some of you guys will find it interesting. Last summer she moved in with me and we did some kind of traditional thing where my family welcomes her into the family. It's a big gathering, but it's not the official thing yet. The official one is when I go back to her house(she lives in Cali) and I have to do a bunch of stuff like kill a pig(to serve of course), bow a bunch of times, get hammered because her large extended family will be licking their chops to get me fucked up, and even more. All this last 2 days and it will probably be 2 of the longest days of my life. These traditional weddings are a pain in the ass. I wouldn't do it if I had a choice, but I really don't.

Keylow415

I hate it when the only people who have a good connection to me are flakey bitches who leave after 1 game.

I don't understand that shit. Take your ass woping like a man. I sure do even tho it's hard. Lol i Lost over half of my pp today. I think I'm stop playing rank I get stressed out lol?

Hey guys, noob questions here:

I was playing Chun-li and having trouble against Zangief, specifically with his Lariat move. My sweep seems to go through his legs most of the time and while cr.MK seems to hit a bit more often, he can reversal it immediately with an EX-SPD.
EX-Hazanshu seems to hit him out of it, but what is the best response when you don't have an ex-bar?

Also, against Hurricane Kick type attacks. Usually I just use cr.HP with most characters against them when they just try to fly over me, but Chun's cr.HP doesn't hit above her, it's more in front of her and therefore it's hard to punish stupid Hurricane Kicks with it.

Any suggestions what to do in these situations?

USD

I was playing Chun-li and having trouble against Zangief, specifically with his Lariat move. My sweep seems to go through his legs most of the time and while cr.MK seems to hit a bit more often, he can reversal it immediately with an EX-SPD.
EX-Hazanshu seems to hit him out of it, but what is the best response when you don't have an ex-bar?

Also, against Hurricane Kick type attacks. Usually I just use cr.HP with most characters against them when they just try to fly over me, but Chun's cr.HP doesn't hit above her, it's more in front of her and therefore it's hard to punish stupid Hurricane Kicks with it.

Any suggestions what to do in these situations?
With Zangief, wait until his in recovery, then go for the sweep. Even from a distance, once he's in recovery, you should probably be able to land anything from far HK or st.MP to even B+MK for the Tenshokyaku combo. If you still want to hit him while he's still spinning to be safe, you could always go for cr.LK, cr.LP, st.HP. You can add in more cr.LP/st.LP if you need to push yourself out a bit, just be mindful of the risk of reversal SPD if you miss the link into st.HP.

Regarding Tatsumaki moves, you should able to hit them with Chun's sweep.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

If Zangief whiffs lariat that's a free ultra 1. Otherwise use fireballs and long normals to control space, but be careful about using fireballs when he's close enough to ex greenhand you.

Thanks for the advice!
The combo USD mentioned is a bit too unreliable for me, the link into st.HP is really hard to pull of.
But thanks for all the other tips! I tried Ultra 1 once before and got hit out of it by the lariat, but I think I just used it too early. (Never noticed the recovery frames.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom