• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happened ^_^

ProudStrawberry vs. Smug (FT5): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcLiA60-mo

SmugDa Beast945 hours ago (edited)

1. honestly i think Proudstrawberry is an extremely solid gouken that needs to go to Majors. hes too good.
2. the connection when we played was ass
3. this replay was hella old when i was on my GRANDMA SMUG Account. back in June. im well improved now. so you haters can THINK what u guys want about me. as free as u haters think i am, why dont u guys play ME in a FT10 see how that ends up.
4. i honestly think i should play proudstrawberry offline. then the set would be ALOT more entertaining.
5. i dont mind losing in a set. i do it to learn matchups and from my mistakes. and mostly these matches, its for YOU GUYS especially. obviously i didnt wanna do this set because it was laggy. but you guys wanted this set for a long time. so you guys got what you want. any person you guys want me to play against i will do it. ONLY if you guys show some love back

Playing from the US to Japan doesn't sound too fun tbh.

MIMIC

Banned
Meh, I think Proudstrawberry would have won anyway. While they're both extremely good, I'm always just a bit more impressed with PS's play style. He is extremely efficient and always maximizes damage opportunities. And he he doesn't go for style points, another thing that makes him deadlier, IMO. He never messes around or drag out a match if he could just simply finish you off.

And another thing I find very impressive about him: he makes your moves look so safe, when it's usually a bait. He always seems to always be a few steps ahead of his opponent.

xCobalt

Meh, I think Proudstrawberry would have won anyway. While they're both extremely good, I'm always just a bit more impressed with PS's play style. He is extremely efficient and always maximizes damage opportunities. And he he doesn't go for style points, another thing that makes him deadlier, IMO. He never messes around or drag out a match if he could just simply finish you off.

And another thing I find very impressive about him: he makes your moves look so safe, when it's usually a bait. He always seems to always be a few steps ahead of his opponent.

I don't find him very impressive. He's like the epitome of online gouken play. Double sweeps, random counters from mid screen or even counters in the middle of his own block strings. He just doesn't get punished for it as often as he should.

Marz

I don't mind the short cancelable. Yes the far cancel would be ace but Gat is fine as he is honestly. Only thing I would change is the corner ultras.

Forreal. Probably have lost hundreds of rounds because my Ultra didn't get full damage after I worked so hard to land it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just coincidence that ProudStrawberry is getting some love after he was brought up recently, or is his Gouken generally pretty well-known?

Anyhoo, Japan had a day off yesterday and I spent most of the afternoon duking it out with a new local SF4 bud. This is the first person I've come across out here who's willing to play regularly in a comfy/familiar environment. Just in time to train for Ultra!

We had some great Chun vs. Gouken matches and once sufficiently warmed up, took it online to boost my friend's PP before the day was done. Felt so good to play with a "real" person (of a similar level) after so long. This is a really random post, but I just wanted to share. So pumped to play more!

I wish streaming/capture equipment was easier/cheaper to come by for PS3, as I'd love to share our shenanigans with the community some time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There is a Gouken player that wins like 99% of the time against PR Rog. He keeps talking about him. No idea who he is.

El Sloth

Banned
Wow this match is from my Daily Blow Up =o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w9XBcG0Qm4
Huh, I didn't know you did your own streaming show. Surprised Fersis, a.k.a. your biggest fan, doesn't link it in the FGW thread everytime it's on. Didn't realize I wasn't already subscribed to iPlaywinner either.

Welcome to our shitty abode, by the way.

Edit: Oh cool, Hellpockets does them too and LordWalkman did a Skullgirls one. Rad.

HarrisonSBA

Neo Member
I haven't been doing them really consistent enough as I would like but I do post them up on the IPW youtube channel after. I'll make sure to post next time I am.

Yeah Hellpockets and Giby usually do one together with KOF or some random old person game like MOTW.

Thank you =)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Huh, I didn't know you did your own streaming show. Surprised Fersis, a.k.a. you biggest fan, doesn't link it in the FGW thread everytime it's on. Didn't realize I wasn't already subscribed to iPlaywinner either.

Welcome to our shitty abode, by the way.

Edit: Oh cool, Hellpockets does them too and LordWalkman did a Skullgirls one. Rad.
<3 Harrison Chan <3

How do I stop being "random"? I'm starting to think it means something different to everyone. I started to try to train my opponents to expect certain moves and come up with something else when low on Hp.

I don't find him very impressive. He's like the epitome of online gouken play. Double sweeps, random counters from mid screen or even counters in the middle of his own block strings. He just doesn't get punished for it as often as he should.
Thank you! He's very overrated imo. Tons of dashing, sweeps galore, flipping all over the screen...straight up online play. He only gets praise since Yoga always post his wins. People need to see more of VER, anton, Bullcat, etc. and see real Gouken play.

HarrisonSBA

Neo Member
How do I stop being "random"? I'm starting to think it means something different to everyone. I started to try to train my opponents to expect certain moves and come up with something else when low on Hp.

The fastest way to stop being random is start blocking more imo. Try and see if in that moment it's better to take the throw than risk doing a "random" uppercut and getting max punished for it.

alstein

That's precisely what it means.

That said, if someone is random in the hitting buttons sense- they're not random because you can always anticipate them hitting a button- so blocking enough will kill them.

Truly random is a combination of acting and not acting- so blocking more helps you be more random.

Imm0rt4l

Thank you! He's very overrated imo. Tons of dashing, sweeps galore, flipping all over the screen...straight up online play. He only gets praise since Yoga always post his wins. People need to see more of VER, anton, Bullcat, etc. and see real Gouken play.

+1

All the guys you named are most def better

I'm curious about Buppa Daisuki though, I don't think I've seen him play but he was ranked 1 in japan(not sure about now as I don't really follow much anymore). I prefer watching illmatic1984 over proud, but he doesn't get much burn. Not that ranking means much, the number 1 gouken on psn was super underwhelming when I fought him(to his credit, fuck a mirror match). I wonder why Bullcat decided to hang it up, I think the last I seen him play was the mirror match with infiltration where he got bodied something fierce.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
All this Gouk talk lately! You'd think he was cool all of a sudden.

One night this week I must have had about 4 old man mirror matches... seriously, did something happen recently?

And yeah, I miss Bullcat. He was generally a sensible player with some fancy tech for when things got stupid. I remember when I first came to Tokyo I had the pleasure of bumping into him at Game Safari. He let me gawp over his shoulder and video one of his matches. Such a gent.

stn

RE: ProudStrawberry

Given how good Gouken's sweep is, why wouldn't he abuse it? As for the "random" counters in his blockstrings, he's just trying to scare his opponent out of pressing buttons. Lastly, him flipping all over the screen is hardly a negative. Out of all the fighting games I've ever played, SF4 rewards jumping quite a bit. Hell, many of the characters can just jump around all day and still win. SF4 is not as footsie-intensive as other current fighters.

That is a great habit to start. once you start doing this shit you're playing SF for real. framedata and shit is cute...but in the end its you vs the other person on the sticks. Random to most people is anytime they dont understand what you are doing. so dont take the random label too seriouslybut yeah pretty much block a little more but dont be afraid to still look for/forcing openings
(This doesnt mean dont take risks because then you become completely predictable please attack when you see the opening)

I hate Gouken so much.

Why does he have an air parry? Why

If you know a gouken is twitchy and relying on his counter stagger/delay your shit and he will be sad all day

xCobalt

RE: ProudStrawberry

Given how good Gouken's sweep is, why wouldn't he abuse it? As for the "random" counters in his blockstrings, he's just trying to scare his opponent out of pressing buttons. Lastly, him flipping all over the screen is hardly a negative. Out of all the fighting games I've ever played, SF4 rewards jumping quite a bit. Hell, many of the characters can just jump around all day and still win. SF4 is not as footsie-intensive as other current fighters.

Gouken's sweep is definitely a great tool. The way he uses it, isn't. Just because he doesn't get punished for it doesn't mean its an effective tactic. Between the frame disadvantage and startup of sweep, your opponent has enough time to stick something out and most likely counter hit you. I sometimes do two sweeps in a row too because that shit works online. Opponents who know it's coming or can react in a better environment will shut down that tactic down very quickly.

And he wasn't trying to scare the opponent. He constantly made bad reads and assumed smug was either crouch teching or just pressing buttons. Nobody is gonna use it as a scare tactic when it's possible to get punished with a full combo.

stn

Its a gamble that works out for him, just like mashing reversals used to be when FADC didn't exist. A lot of offense in SF4 is based on baiting crouch tech and your opponent's mashing. He happens to be comfortable using Gouken's parry as bait, that's one of its uses. Its no different than Daigo walking up and doing an SRK to Gamerbee three times in a row because he knows that he can catch him mashing. Or Jyobin doing 4 overheads in a row.

I wouldn't say that makes Strawberry an overrated player, just a player who's using reads and mind-games to initiate offense. The only reason people call it out is because so much of SF4 is safe (ex. mashing a reversal on wake-up and then FADC'ing if its blocked).

+1

All the guys you named are most def better

I'm curious about Buppa Daisuki though, I don't think I've seen him play but he was ranked 1 in japan(not sure about now as I don't really follow much anymore). I prefer watching illmatic1984 over proud, but he doesn't get much burn. Not that ranking means much, the number 1 gouken on psn was super underwhelming when I fought him(to his credit, fuck a mirror match). I wonder why Bullcat decided to hang it up, I think the last I seen him play was the mirror match with infiltration where he got bodied something fierce.

I was told Buppa is godtier by my Japan homie who played him at Sega Avion in Osaka. As far he knows he's an arcade only player for the time being.

Hey Passive Assassin, remember when we both were unsure about the last list of changes that Combofiend posted? Well if you didn't know already, we both got our hard knockdown combos back. Ibuki's neckbreaker is a hard knockdown again and Evil Ryu's LK tatsu has its float time reverted so he will be able to tatsu > sweep the same characters as Akuma in Ultra. Kim1234 listed both changes when he was testing stuff in Japan during the last location test.

Only bad thing about this for me is that they also reverted the buff to LK tatsu having more range, now it should be back to it's original state. But I guess my assumption was right. They probably felt DWU was good enough to weaken wake up pressure that they felt they didn't need to remove combos that lead to hard knockdowns. But overall I'm pretty happy with this. Even with DWU, I'll take tatsu > sweep anyday over slightly more range on LK tatsu.

Hey Passive Assassin, remember when we both were unsure about the last list of changes that Combofiend posted? Well if you didn't know already, we both got our hard knockdown combos back. Ibuki's neckbreaker is a hard knockdown again and Evil Ryu's LK tatsu has its float time reverted so he will be able to tatsu > sweep the same characters as Akuma in Ultra. Kim1234 listed both changes when he was testing stuff in Japan during the last location test.

Only bad thing about this for me is that they also reverted the buff to LK tatsu having more range, now it should be back to it's original state. But I guess my assumption was right. They probably felt DWU was good enough to weaken wake up pressure that they felt they didn't need to remove combos that lead to hard knockdowns. But overall I'm pretty happy with this. Even with DWU, I'll take tatsu > sweep anyday over slightly more range on LK tatsu.

dis gon be gud

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
In PR Rog's last stream he himself said Gouken has certain setups you can't punish online while you can easily offline which is why he keeps losing to that certain Gouken player. In general he said a lot of characters are better online because of the same fact. There are numerous things which are nonpunishable online.

Marz

In PR Rog's last stream he himself said Gouken has certain setups you can't punish online while you can easily offline which is why he keeps losing to that certain Gouken player. In general he said a lot of characters are better online because of the same fact. There are numerous things which are nonpunishable online.

Yea, good luck trying to punish anything of Adon's online.

got the 10 wins in a row achievement online. nothing big to most of y'all, but it's was a personal goal of mine.

got some real close calls, but i pulled it out. I think i'm starting to get the hang of GUY on some level. one of those wins was vs pr_rog too. i'm *trying* to be less YOLO and i guess it's working? of course match #12 was against #30 ranked gief or something and i just got piledrived into kingdom come.

MIMIC

Banned
He does a bunch of shit that would get him murdered offline.

I feel like this is such a cop out. Just like generalizing the weaknesses/strengths of a character, rather than the skill of the person behind the character.

To attribute success to whether or not it's online is just so extremely lame, IMO. It's like the ultimate excuse. And the funny thing is that you hear it with EVERY character. "OMG this would only work online!" And it's always the loser (coincidentally) that knows what is "supposed" to work online, but not offline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom