• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So I'm going to work for Capcom in a few months and apparently they play SF. I've been bodied before and I imagine it'll become my daily ritual. I have to bulk up. Will I be fine playing Ryu for a year, or should I learn another character in parallel?

Rock with what you feel best. If you're a beginner, then I would say dip in with all the characters and see which one you like best. Besides, it isn't part of the job description to be good at Street Fighter (although it will be for talking smack).

Rock with what you feel best. If you're a beginner, then I would say dip in with all the characters and see which one you like best. Besides, it isn't part of the job description to be good at Street Fighter (although it will be for talking smack).

Yeah, I know what you mean -- in any game with a large roster you have to find your style. Right now, I'm just wondering what the forgiving characters are for different styles. If I cycle between a lot of characters, I'll have a harder time memorizing/muscle-memorizing things. And I intend to be able to talk smack at least once by the end of my internship!

cammy and sak.

All right, I guess it's Ryu, Cammy and Sakura then.

Also, do you recommend any tutorials outside of the ingame one? I've been looking around and I can't tell where to start. Also, I know characters fall into different classes (rushdown, zoning, grappler, etc), but I can't find a good reference.

Shoryuken forums should be up to date on all the characters.

the vesperarcade videos on youtube are good for learning the basic mechanics of street fighter.

ryu can be rushdown and zoning, cammy is rushdown, sak is mostly rushdown and some zoning.

Hey guys wanted to get some input/advice on playing with E.Ryu. Is he more of a defensive minded character? How should he be played? I just want to maximize his playing style as best as I can. Thanks for the responses.

xCobalt

Question for any gouken players here. Do you guys have any setups after landing U2 when the opponent is airborne? There's definitely enough time to set something up but the spacing/timing is kinda odd. Looking for some kind of ambiguous crossup or a safe jump. Been messing it with it for an hour or so and I can't find anything solid.

Hey guys wanted to get some input/advice on playing with E.Ryu. Is he more of a defensive minded character? How should he be played? I just want to maximize his playing style as best as I can. Thanks for the responses.

I play Evil Ryu but I'll be honest, I don't play him the way he's suppose to be played. Part of that is because of my own play style preference, and the other part is my execution and reactions is just not good enough. At a basic level, Evil Ryu plays almost exactly like Ryu, you zone with fireballs and play footsies. He's not a vortex character or rush down character. People make that assumption because of his damage and low health.

The key to Evil Ryu's damage is to build meter to FADC into his axe kick combo. The most common way to land this is from FADC'ing his low forward into LK axe kick or fireball. You have to have really good reactions though because with low forward fireball, you pretty much have only one move to confirm because you have to FADC fireball almost immediately. From here you also have to know if you're in range for his cl. or cr. HP. If not you'll have to use one of his farther reaching normals to extend the combo. With LK axe kick it's a much easier confirm, but it's unsafe on block so you can get punished for it. Even on hit you're only +3 so you're forced to land a 1f link to extend the combo.

If you have the execution and reactions, that's Evil Ryu's main game plan in a nut shell. I don't do this because I can't land it consistently and I've practiced for a long time now. I personally play pretty aggressive and gimmicky. I go for resets and mix ups that aren't considered "good", but I do it anyways because that's the way I like to play. Regardless of your style, he's still a shoto and has the shoto basics. So you can always rely on that. Zone with fireballs, anti-air jump ins with DP, have a strong footsie game, etc.

If you got any other questions about Evil Ryu, I'll try my best to answer.

I play Evil Ryu but I'll be honest, I don't play him the way he's suppose to be played. Part of that is because of my own play style preference, and the other part is my execution and reactions is just not good enough. At a basic level, Evil Ryu plays almost exactly like Ryu, you zone with fireballs and play footsies. He's not a vortex character or rush down character. People make that assumption because of his damage and low health.

The key to Evil Ryu's damage is to build meter to FADC into his axe kick combo. The most common way to land this is from FADC'ing his low forward into LK axe kick or fireball. You have to have really good reactions though because with low forward fireball, you pretty much have only one move to confirm because you have to FADC fireball almost immediately. From here you also have to know if you're in range for his cl. or cr. HP. If not you'll have to use one of his farther reaching normals to extend the combo. With LK axe kick it's a much easier confirm, but it's unsafe on block so you can get punished for it. Even on hit you're only +3 so you're forced to land a 1f link to extend the combo.

If you have the execution and reactions, that's Evil Ryu's main game plan in a nut shell. I don't do this because I can't land it consistently and I've practiced for a long time now. I personally play pretty aggressive and gimmicky. I go for resets and mix ups that aren't considered "good", but I do it anyways because that's the way I like to play. Regardless of your style, he's still a shoto and has the shoto basics. So you can always rely on that. Zone with fireballs, anti-air jump ins with DP, have a strong footsie game, etc.

If you got any other questions about Evil Ryu, I'll try my best to answer.

Thanks for the helpful info! Yea I defintley assumed he was somewhat of a rush down character based off of his low health. But the more I see him being used, he seems more of a reactionary/defensive character. I'll defintley keep this in mind as I learn how to use him.

Your avatar says it all lol. That was some pretty sick stuff. All the cross up knees were just flat out dirty. The double angry scar TU combo was probably my favorite among all the stuff he did. I did that in training room one time and thought to myself "you'll never see this in a real match". I also got a pretty good laugh out of that Gouken who kept demon flipping and neutral jumping. If only I had the reactions to punish that shit :(

Your avatar says it all lol. That was some pretty sick stuff. All the cross up knees were just flat out dirty. The double angry scar TU combo was probably my favorite among all the stuff he did. I did that in training room one time and thought to myself "you'll never see this in a real match". I also got a pretty good laugh out of that Gouken who kept demon flipping and neutral jumping. If only I had the reactions to punish that shit :(
Going to use dat against Cobalt next time.

Hey BV, when we played Yun vs Bison I would stand right next to you after a knockdown sometimes. I wanted you to ex crushers so I could try to punish with lunge punch. Were you aware of that or did you stop because I did jump back mk a few times?

GG again. You caught on to my habits and patterns and made me pay for it. I couldn't really do the same and got really I impatient at times and rushed in like a maniac.
Also, on the note of delayed wakeup, and how it's impacting the game, it was stated on stream that if Ibuki throws a Kunai now and you do delayed standing, it's possible to punish her for trying to go for her old vortex, so it's a much bigger risk than it was in AE v2012.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-stated-latter-version-had-positive-response/
Where's your God now pass ass?

Hey BV, when we played Yun vs Bison I would stand right next to you after a knockdown sometimes. I wanted you to ex crushers so I could try to punish with lunge punch. Were you aware of that or did you stop because I did jump back mk a few times?

GG again. You caught on to my habits and patterns and made me pay for it. I couldn't really do the same and got really I impatient at times and rushed in like a maniac.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-stated-latter-version-had-positive-response/
Both. I've been punished in the past doing it both ways.

well fuck.

Geniuzz

Have they already announced when this game will be released? I know "sometime before EVO", but is there a more specific date known?

LakeEarth

I can't tell, is there enough time to hit confirm the cross-up knee into ultra? Seems tight. He can probably tell the guy is crouching when he passes over him, and it's really likely that the cross-up will hit most people online, but I'm not sure if he's actually waiting for the hit before pressing the button.

alstein

Have they already announced when this game will be released? I know "sometime before EVO", but is there a more specific date known?

For consoles it's Final Round

For PC- I don't know. I got a bad feeling it won't be until after EVO, hopefully before TFC.

Imm0rt4l

The PR Balrog Approved Guide to Online Gouken:

Sweep and spam counter during your own blockstrings, receive PP.
Funny cinsidering rog beats gouken.

Takinflight is a horrible gouken. Ive told him as much on srk as he stays talking out his ass. So whatever is in that video, I probably shouldn't watch.

Well after watching last nights WNF fight, it looks like double sweep works just fine even against the best Oni players in the world lol. I forgot his name(was it Velociraptor?), but he did that shit against Wao and it worked many times. He also got away a lot with demon flip parry until Wao started burning EX meter to get extra hits on a SRK that hits late. And Gouken's wake up is still looking fine in my eyes as he was able to get Wao off his ass a lot or made him hesitant to attack because he was afraid of the counter. Gimmicky, but at least he got the job done.

Marz

For Ultra they should make Sagats fake kick easier to do, for the life of me I can't get it to come out consistently.

K.Sabot

I love those moments when you have an epiphany about something you were doing wrong and immediately become a better player after recognizing it.

xCobalt

I love those moments when you have an epiphany about something you were doing wrong and immediately become a better player after recognizing it.

Then there are those moments when you resort to doing the wrong things. Oh, times winding down and you're both extremely low on life? Let's jump in on that ryu with two bars.

K.Sabot

It's more like an old habit I had when playing charge characters.

I would tend to hold down back when I'm out of range of the opponents normals. It really hurt my anti air game.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's more like an old habit I had when playing charge characters.

I would tend to hold down back when I'm out of range of the opponents normals. It really hurt my anti air game.
Don't forget that quick normals and pokes can help you maintain your position while charging.

K.Sabot

Don't forget that quick normals and pokes can help you maintain your position while charging.

I stopped playing chargers in Super, feels so liberating to be able to sit at neutral.

Of course this is when I remember I'm not supposed to be down backing.

xCobalt

Question for any gouken players here. Do you guys have any setups after landing U2 when the opponent is airborne? There's definitely enough time to set something up but the spacing/timing is kinda odd. Looking for some kind of ambiguous crossup or a safe jump. Been messing it with it for an hour or so and I can't find anything solid.

Following up on my own post:

Midscreen 5-frame safe jump: Ex Palm > Ultra 2 (4 hits) > Hard Demon Flip Kick > crouching jab > nj.HP

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I lub me some fadc ultra 2.

iz8bSXKAdegau.gif

That Ryu costume looks pretty bad ass. As for fake kick, I can't double tap for the life of me. When I did that during trials, I did a really ghetto version where I used both my pointer fingers and pressed hard kick one after another.

If you practice double tapping for like a minute it's pretty easy to do. But to implement it into your actual gameplay, that's a different story.

MIMIC

Banned
Has there ever been a fix/work-around for the bug that removes a player's GT in the replay channel?

Most of my saved vids just say "PLAYER2" :-/

SupaNaab

Maybe someone can help me out here.

When I play Arcade Edition in fullscreen, I benchmark at 49~50 FPS.
When I play Arcade Edition in windowed, I benchmark at 279-280 FPS.

Here are my specs along with the "Can I Run It" page for AE.
I also used this guide to optimize my settings.
Why can't I play at 60 FPS in fullscreen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom