• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
zlatko said:
Played probably a 100 game session tonight with a friend of a friend I had never played. Turns out he's god like. He could play every character at a high level. 1 frame links? No problem. SJC combos? Got those. Kara throws? Sure. Block strings/frame traps? Yes sir.

He mained Cammy, subbed Ken, and had the most aggressive Guile of all time. Out of those 100 games I maybe won 20 at most and it was mostly with M. Bison, although a few were with Yang. I have never gotten bodied so hard. I kept trying to do footsies, anti airs, rush down, turtle, and even threw in some random. Easily the best I've ever played EVER... but it made me realize just how big and awful the gap between me and a good player is even though I've been trying to get good at SF4 for 3 years now since vanilla.

Maybe it's time to call it a wrap for me. If in 3 years I can only take 20ish games off a guy playing basically random on character select, who also started at vanilla, then I'm ass.

Also... holy shit at the last couple of pages. God damn. <3 Douglas and Saty though. No one trolls harder on Gaf. NOBODY!

When I ran track in college I would run the same workouts, sometimes more, than my teammates. But they were always faster. I could've felt salty "What's the point of training when these guys will always be faster than me no matter how hard I work?". Some athletes have that attitude and it drives them... INSANE. They're always miserable. They're not even happy when they win because somewhere out there is better who (they think) works less than them.

Coming from both competitive NCAA sports and watching the SSFIV community - it's largely the same thing. Hard work is going to take you FAR. But in the end, some guys just have the natural ability to be better than you. You can be salty to God that He didn't bless you with "TEH SKILLZ" or you can appreciate the fact that you always did your best and worked as hard as you could - and be satisfied with your personal best.

Shit, again like NCAA Sports and competitive gaming - only 2% is going to make career out of an enjoyable hobby. For everyone else let it be an enjoyable hobby and enjoy what skill/talent that you have in it. Embrace the experiences that it brings to your life.

That is how you can become... A TRUE WORLD WARRIOR <3

zlatko

Banned
Adam Prime said:
When I ran track in college I would run the same workouts, sometimes more, than my teammates. But they were always faster. I could've felt salty "What's the point of training when these guys will always be faster than me no matter how hard I work?". Some athletes have that attitude and it drives them... INSANE. They're always miserable. They're not even happy when they win because somewhere out there is better who (they think) works less than them.

Coming from both competitive NCAA sports and watching the SSFIV community - it's largely the same thing. Hard work is going to take you FAR. But in the end, some guys just have the natural ability to be better than you. You can be salty to God that He didn't bless you with "TEH SKILLZ" or you can appreciate the fact that you always did your best and worked as hard as you could - and be satisfied with your personal best.

Shit, again like NCAA Sports and competitive gaming - only 2% is going to make career out of an enjoyable hobby. For everyone else let it be an enjoyable hobby and enjoy what skill/talent that you have in it. Embrace the experiences that it brings to your life.

While a motivational speech indeed, it's not a matter of me needing a pep talk lol. The bigger issues come from the fact that I've tried to make SF4 fit. It's not fighting games as a whole, and what I was trying more to say is that I need a different fighter as my go to game, because while I don't feel my 3 years playing on and off were wasted by any means, I do feel I've finally hit the point where I can judge if a game is right for my tastes.

It's kind of like Gootecks doesn't play MvC3, even though he tried. It doesn't click. For the longest time with SF4 I thought it was just I need to get better and better then it will CLICK and I'll be having way more fun. Sure I have good games like anyone does, I wouldn't be playing this long if it was just a long road of being salty lol. But the short time I spent with MvC3 I had more fun playing than I did SF4. It fit me better. The issue was that MvC3's online was not there, and with no local play a fighting game's stay in my library all depends on how well the online is done.

The online is probably one of the contributing factors to why I stuck with SF4 so long is because the only other fighter I had good online/matching was Blazblue, but that game is definitely not my cup of tea lol. :p

Lots of fighters coming up here like I said, and one of those is bound to nail online to be as good as SF4/BB or better, and will hopefully be a bit more of that faster style of play I found enjoyable in MvC3, older KoF games, and third strike.

Kai said:
These are great Ryu combos - do you have anything similar for Ken players? I basically was flowchart scrub - now I am getting footsie game down and using MK and cr.MK to poke and cancel into Fireball or EX Fireball well. I can do some insane combos in practice (usually an assortment of cr.lp, cr,lk into cr.mk XX either Firebal/Tatsu) but I can never get these going in a real match....

Since our eva"bess ken"01 almost never post there, I can try to give you some advice. Basic Ken combos and why people do or don't do them.

1. cr. LK, cr. LP, cr. MK, HK/EX tatsu

Most people will go for EX tatsu because it leaves them at +1. If your opponent isn't blocking then you can try to start another combo. It's a 50/50 though, your in just as much danger as your opponent. Your opponent needs to be standing for this to work though.

2. cr. LK, cr. LP, HP SRK

A very popular and easy combo to hit. A lot of Ken's will go for a 2nd jab though, either another crouch jab or st. jab if there opponent is standing. This combo is my preferred one to do with Ken because it gives you and knockdown and you can go for ambiguous cross ups afterwards. Depending on how many lights you use or if you cross up or not, you may not cross up the next time, leaving your opponent confused as to which side they need to block.

3. cr. LK, st. LP, cr. HP, tatsu/SRK

A lot of good Ken players use this combo because it gives you good damage and stun. Problem is that you need your opponent to be standing for it to work.

4. cr. Lk, cr. LP, cr. HP, tatsu/SRK

Only do this combo if you're confident in your execution. The link between cr. LP and cr. HP is 1 frame. Even the best Ken's will almost never attempt this link.

5. cr. LK, cr. LP, st. LP, cr. HK

This is his new combo in AE, it gives you a hard knockdown as you're combo'ing into sweep. Your opponent has to be standing for it to work, and the link between st. LP and cr. HK is also a 1 framer, so it's a bit difficult but a great combo to use if you want to go for mix ups.

Those are the common BNB's for Ken that you will almost always see good/top Ken's use during actual matches(except #4). He has some other links that you can try out when you get these down, but they're not necessary to learn right now when you're just beginning.

Satyamdas

Banned
Shoutouts to NAH Fragment in dat SCO. Let's get it in, son!!

*I'll root for you as long as Lucky D, Grimmmz, or my homeboy <3 DBJ <3 aren't in there. :D

zlatko

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Yep. Mad salty. Oh well.

<3

My one tip would be you didn't adjust to the fact that on so many knock downs you got he would just back dash once or twice to avoid your mix ups. That game you won was funny though with the double exp pimp slap chops. :)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
zlatko said:
<3

My one tip would be you didn't adjust to the fact that on so many knock downs you got he would just back dash once or twice to avoid your mix ups. That game you won was funny though with the double exp pimp slap chops. :)

Thing is that I read several of those backdashes and he would've gotten blown up hard but I mistimed my tsuguris.

edit: I think I also tried the cr.lp cr.lp cr.hp OS but forgot that it doesn't work on Balrog lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How easy/hard is it to stuff wakeup headbutts with meaty low attack with Makoto? I try to do that occasionally to headbutt-happy Rogs, but sometimes it backfires, lol.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Rentahamster said:
How easy/hard is it to stuff wakeup headbutts with meaty low attack with Makoto? I try to do that occasionally to headbutt-happy Rogs, but sometimes it backfires, lol.

Regular headbutt doesn't have any invincibility, so pretty easy. All the times I got hit by wakeup headbutt it was because I mistimed my meaty. Should've used mp instead of lp.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lost Fragment said:
Regular headbutt doesn't have any invincibility, so pretty easy. All the times I got hit by wakeup headbutt it was because I mistimed my meaty. Should've used mp instead of lp.
Ah I see, I wasn't watching the stream when you were on. So most of the times you got hit with it, he did a regular wakeup headbutt and not EX?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Rentahamster said:
Ah I see, I wasn't watching the stream when you were on. So most of the times you got hit with it, he did a regular wakeup headbutt and not EX?

Yeah, I was getting hit by regular. Would've gotten stuffed if I wasn't mistiming things. He was guessing karakusa because I think headbutt is airborne pretty early so it beats meaty karakusa, but he was hitting the meaty whiff instead.

edit: I should've also gone for ex oroshi as my combo ender instead of ex hayate. Mak has a setup on Rog after ex oroshi that'll beat all of his reversals. Need to level up moar before SB.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is Falcon good? Everyone is saying "he shouldn't be in this tournament" in the chat. No clue if that means he's too good or really bad.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:
Damn it Timedog, just spend the meter and do EX DP to win that 2nd round. Nothing Ken has can beat that move.

Except backdash. What situation were we in though?

Both matches were super laggy. The first one was beyond unplayable.

Timedog said:
Except backdash.

Both matches were super laggy. The first one was beyond unplayable.

If you do it meaty(but not too early), Ken's back dash is not good enough to escape it. Just try it out for yourself in training mode.

I don't remember the situation but you had him within chip kill and I think you did a cross up instead. But I don't remember how it ended. Just that you had meter for the chip win. EX fireball would have been a little more risky because you didn't have the space to safely do it on wake up. So EX DP would have been the best option.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:
If you do it meaty(but not too early), Ken's back dash is not good enough to escape it. Just try it out for yourself in training mode.

Oh shit! I thought all backdashes could escape it!

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Lost Fragment said:
Yep.

Then lost 2/0 to his Rog :( I wasn't free though.

Wonder if I'll be on Cross Counter.

Yeah I lost pretty hard to what I assume was Mike Ross' Blanka right after that too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kadey said:
I'll have a lobby up in a bit.
I'm gonna make a pizza (from scratch) which should take like a half hour. I'm up for it (at least seeing if it's a little less laggy) after that.

Threi

notag
Adam Prime said:

great post. Everyone has a limit, some are much lower than others. Its best just to accept it for what it is.

Top Bottom