• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Satyamdas

Banned
Timedog said:
Obviously you, or you'd stop posting responses. :D
No, I mean who gives a shit what I say in a chat room? Why is that relevant? Why does my crude language matter? Why are you bringing that up in response to a little trolling about your shitty SF skills? In other words......

Rr1Lu.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Satyamdas said:
No, I mean who gives a shit what I say in a chat room? Why is that relevant? Why does my crude language matter? Why are you bringing that up in response to a little trolling about your shitty SF skills? In other words......

I give a shit when you say homophobic remarks over and over again. If my SF skills are shitty than there aren't very many good players on GAF.

AZ Greg

Timedog said:
I give a shit when you say homophobic remarks over and over again. If my SF skills are shitty than there aren't very many good players on GAF.

GAF is ass at SF.

Except for DBJ.

<3 DBJ

El Sloth

Banned
Timedog said:
6mtlA.jpg

Where's the internet forum section? Or is this an example of naturally occuring salt?

Satyamdas

Banned
Timedog said:
I don't make homophobic remarks. You can repeat that nonsense all day and try to slander me with it and it still won't be true. And I still don't see what me making homophobic remarks has to do with your shitty SF skills. It's like if someone said I am ass at SF so I bring up the color socks they are wearing. WTF is the relevance?

And even by GAF's average skill standard you are highly shitty. C'mon, son.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Timedog said:
If everything in these threads was relevant we'd still be in OT2 or OT3.
What I mean is, if you get dissed in SF, (or in this case, playfully razzled, he even used a smiley face!) dis back with SF, don't use slanderous shit like that, it makes it seem like you got nothing left to counter-troll with in regards to SF-skills.

Blast, and be put on blast in kind.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Satyamdas said:
I don't make homophobic remarks. You can repeat that nonsense all day and try to slander me with it and it still won't be true. And I still don't see what me making homophobic remarks has to do with your shitty SF skills. It's like if someone said I am ass at SF so I bring up the color socks they are wearing. WTF is the relevance?

And even by GAF's average skill standard you are highly shitty. C'mon, son.
Uhh, yeah you do dude. The comment I remember specifically is actually transphobic , but I'd hazard a guess that if you were to make a thread asking if that comment was transphobic, and if your use of other gay slurs is homophobic 95+% would say that your remarks are trans/homophobic.

I win more than I lose against GAF players. I almost always lose against you and renta, but that matchup is lol.

Rentahamster said:
What I mean is, if you get dissed in SF, (or in this case, playfully razzled, he even used a smiley face!) dis back with SF, don't use slanderous shit like that, it makes it seem like you got nothing left to counter-troll with in regards to SF-skills.

Blast, and be put on blast in kind.
For it to be slanderous would require it to be untrue.

Satyamdas

Banned
Timedog said:
Uhh, yeah you do dude. The comment I remember specifically is actually transphobic , but I'd hazard a guess that if you were to make a thread asking if that comment was transphobic, and if your use of other gay slurs is homophobic 95+% would say that your remarks are trans/homophobic.
HC8D6.jpg

The suspense is killing me. Please expose this terrible homophobic or transphobic comment for all to see. I'm dying to see this. :D

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
"I'm sick of everybody talking about all this faggot shit" (slightly paraphrased cause I don't have the chat log, obviously) in response to people talking about Kayo Police at Evo.

If that isn't transphobic, then nothing on this earth is.

Satyamdas

Banned
Timedog said:
"I'm sick of everybody talking about all this faggot shit" (slightly paraphrased cause I don't have the chat log, obviously) in response to people talking about Kayo Police at Evo.

If that isn't transphobia, then nothing on this earth is.
That's it?!

I've seen worse "transphobic" shit said in a chat room by Karaface. And I *STILL* don't understand what any of this has to do with you sucking ass at SF. Can you please explain to me why this is relevant??

Chavelo

Hey, guys... How's Zangief looking in AE 2012? I want to pi-

*looks at crap being spewed on the thread*

Fuck it, back to Deus Ex for me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
*Eats Popcorn*
*Drinks Coke*
*Stretches back*
*Laughs.

Lol leave Timedog alone. He must be making millions from Rock National Anthem and the like, that's why he has no time to play SF.

And Saty sucks. We all know that.

Stay Free you both.

CHUN BACKDASH SWEEP FOR LIFE MOTHERFUCKERS!

Timedog said:

If that isn't transphobic, then nothing on this earth is.

Are you fucking serious, scrub? Its a chat log. Outside of GAF, and especially on the IRC, we joke like this. Do I get mad because of my coconuts? Hell naw. Its a joke. That's a joke. And it happens outside of GAF. No need to bring that shit in here.

Satyamdas

Banned
Relix said:
*Eats Popcorn*
*Drinks Coke*
*Stretches back*
*Laughs.

Lol leave Timedog alone. He must be making millions from Rock National Anthem and the like, that's why he has no time to play SF.

And Saty sucks. We all know that.

Stay Free you both.

CHUN BACKDASH SWEEP FOR LIFE MOTHERFUCKERS!
JujXK.gif

Stay Freelix! ^_^

Imm0rt4l

I make racist banter about blacks with people like notworksafe and RB IRC, I'm black though, and it's just banter. self deprecating humor is funny sometimes.

AZ Greg said:
No matter how big it is, it's still a mere fraction of the size of his ugly girls GIF folder.

inb4 Emma Watson looks like a dude

I would fuck the shit out of Emma Watson :mad:

I may play Marvel more these days (nothing now though cuz of school T_T), but there's no drama like SF-Drama. Always #1 in my heart and better than the OC.

May the festivities continue!!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
cackhyena said:
I'mma side with saty just cuz I hated timedog's constant jumping back after everything last night.

<salty...after one game.

That was laggy as fuck. Even still, I did go like 8-1 against GAF. Cause I'm oh so shitty.

Satyamdas said:
Sagat isn't designed to be played directly in the face of other characters, he is meant for zoning primarily with his fast Tiger Shots and punishing you for trying to get around them with his long limbs and Tiger Uppercuts. But he still can be very effective at close range because his Tiger Knee must be respected. TK breaks armor, which means that doing a focus attack close to Sagat is dangerous, it hits higher than most people realize which also catches jumps, and if it is blocked then Sagat is right back in your face to put more pressure on you. The reason Tiger Knee is so effective is that if you do it at the proper range it is safe on block, meaning that the other player can't hit Sagat after the move ends. If Sagat does TK from too close, then he can be punished after he lands (except for EX TK, which is always safe on block).

So Tiger Knee is an effective tool for Sagat to use to keep pressure on from close range. He's not the best up close by any means, but the threat of Tiger Knee means that you have to respect his close range game and his pressure is still very dangerous because of it.
SephirothRK said:
I don't play Sagat but when they say close game is good is because Sagat has block strings such as c.lk, c.lk, c.lp, I usually do st.lp to Tiger Knee after. He can use his Tiger Knee for pressure at the right distance after the block string which makes the Tiger Knee hits once near the end when he's landing which make it more safe and gives him frame advantage.
After you land from your Tiger Knee you can pressure more with c.lp to low tigershot.

Distance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3paBY2EImI 1:06 Sagat does Tiger Knee at the right distance to make it safe and also applies pressure. This video is a good example to what sagat can do close range without doing much block strings anyway.

EDIT: Beaten, and probably more informative from a gdlk player D:
thanks guys!

tigerin

Timedog said:
I have every tip that you've ever needed for Ryu. I'm pretty much the best there is. "Good Combos" are situational, but practice this:

cr. lk, cr. lp, cr. mp xx fireball

note: cr. = crouching, lp and lk = light punch and light kick, xx = cancel

This is a good beginner combo because it doesn't have insanely hard timing, and if you mess of the timing it ends in fireball, which is usually not punishable. Combos that end in hurricane kick, dragon punch, or sweep are very punishable if you mess up the timing on one of the hits in the combo.

I will answer every single one of your questions. Again, I am the best Ryu who knows every answer.

okay sensei, what's next?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
tigerin said:
okay sensei, what's next?

cr. lk, cr. lp, cr. hp xx hk hurricane kick

If you miss the timing on the link between cr. lp and cr. hp, the hurricane kick will be blocked and then the opponent can punish you once you land. Even if the combo lands, your opponent gets up off the ground about the same time as you land from the hurricane kick. If this is scary, you can substitute a mk hurricane kick instead of an hk, which makes you land sooner and is a bit safer, although it does a bit less damage. If you're fighting against a Zangief or someone who you don't want to be right next to, it's usually preferable to use mk hurricane.

note: of course both of these combos I've shown can be started out with a jumping attack.

After you get both of these combos down well, later we can work on what's called "hit-confirming". I have a scheme in training mode I need to show you. Then we can work on FADC'ing a dragon punch, ways to hit your ultra and super moves, etc. In the meanwhile, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oh yeah. One look and the world stands still but the sky’s falling.

God Tier-
Humanbomb
Fubar

S tier-
Ryder
Haunts
Alex Valle (50 years ago)
Nerdjosh
Aquasilk
Rico Suave
Zhi

A tier-
Mike Ross
Daigo
Gamerbee
Chris Hu
Four Wude
Kuma
Rich

B tier-
Mago
Tokido
Momochi
Infiltration
Ace R
Online Tony
Michaelangelo
Gootecks
Damian

Even though Kuma is probably playing with himself somewhere, anybody up for a lobby?

tigerin

Timedog said:
cr. lk, cr. lp, cr. hp xx hk hurricane kick

If you miss the timing on the link between cr. lp and cr. hp, the hurricane kick will be blocked and then the opponent can punish you once you land. Even if the combo lands, your opponent gets up off the ground about the same time as you land from the hurricane kick. If this is scary, you can substitute a mk hurricane kick instead of an hk, which makes you land sooner and is a bit safer, although it does a bit less damage. If you're fighting against a Zangief or someone who you don't want to be right next to, it's usually preferable to use mk hurricane.

note: of course both of these combos I've shown can be started out with a jumping attack.

After you get both of these combos down well, later we can work on what's called "hit-confirming". I have a scheme in training mode I need to show you. Then we can work on FADC'ing a dragon punch, ways to hit your ultra and super moves, etc. In the meanwhile, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

yea, do you recommend finishing the ryu trial challenges? or is it a waste of time?

okay, this combo right here is a little tricky. i can execute the first three buttons just fine, but i can't seems to pull off the hurricane kick after the cr.hp.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
tigerin said:
yea, do you recommend finishing the ryu trial challenges? or is it a waste of time?
I haven't messed with them in AE cause I already know what ryu can do, so I don't know what specific trials they changed in this version, but if you haven't went through them, definitely do so. Some of the later trials with almost all the characters are pretty worthless cause you'll never use them in game. I'd say at least go through 80% of them and finish, and the last 5 or so, at least check them out and see if any of them are something that might seem practical in game.

tigerin said:
okay, this combo right here is a little tricky. i can execute the first three buttons just fine, but i can't seems to pull off the hurricane kick after the cr.hp.
Do the input for the hurricane kick IMMEDIATELY after pressing the button for cr. hp. Its a cancel (xx, remember), which means you don't have to time it well, just do it IMMEDIATELY.

If you don't already have it set this way, you should set the dummy in training mode to autoblock. If it doesn't say 4-hit combo after you hit with the tatsu, you timed something wrong.

tigerin

Timedog said:
I haven't messed with them in AE cause I already know what ryu can do, so I don't know what specific trials they changed in this version, but if you haven't went through them, definitely do so. Some of the later trials with almost all the characters are pretty worthless cause you'll never use them in game. I'd say at least go through 80% of them and finish, and the last 5 or so, at least check them out and see if any of them are something that might seem practical in game.

Do the input for the hurricane kick IMMEDIATELY after pressing the button for cr. hp. Its a cancel (xx, remember), which means you don't have to time it well, just do it IMMEDIATELY.

If you don't already have it set this way, you should set the dummy in training mode to autoblock. If it doesn't say 4-hit combo after you hit with the tatsu, you timed something wrong.

alright, thanks! =D

i got it down 50% of the times. just need a little bit more practice.

LProtag

This discussion has just made me realize I need to get some good practice sessions in soon. Anyone taking part in this argument could body me so hard and that makes me sad.

Nyoro SF

InsertNameHere said:
This discussion has just made me realize I need to get some good practice sessions in soon. Anyone taking part in this argument could body me so hard and that makes me sad.

Some tips for you.

1) Don't main more than one character. Stick with one, learn their ins and outs, good matchups and bad matchups, etc.
2) Slow the match down. It's very easy to panic when your opponent is leaping all over the place. It's better to get hit trying to block than opening yourself up to attacks through poorly placed counters.
3) Don't pick low tiers to try and prove a point. No one honestly cares which character you pick, they just want to beat you. Whether it is easy or hard is the only issue to them.

Some day in the future I'll make a writeup of "annoying stuff in SF4 to watch out for when starting off" just to help new guys.

LProtag

I've got the basic... ideas down. I know what I should be doing, it's the execution of that that I can't do.

I'm maining Ken for now and probably won't change unless I find someone who fits my playstyle better. I just don't really have a playstyle at this point.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Learning how to play as many characters as you can is a really good idea, but not until you already have a solid grasp of the game as a whole. Playing too many characters when you're first starting out probably isn't great, yea.

So anyway, anybody here play Fei Long? Need to work on that match.

Satyamdas

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
I've got the basic... ideas down. I know what I should be doing, it's the execution of that that I can't do.

I'm maining Ken for now and probably won't change unless I find someone who fits my playstyle better. I just don't really have a playstyle at this point.
You have to keep in mind that when you are learning SF for the first time it will take literally thousands of matches before you get execution, mindgames, defense, offensive tricks, and matchup knowledge down. Execution is one of the easier and faster things you grasp, but you are still looking at hundreds of matches and a couple hundred hours before that muscle memory kicks in.

The good thing is that along the way you will notice yourself improving in a bunch of areas. You'll pull off moves easier, combos easier, your defense and spacing will improve, and that should hopefully keep you motivated to want to improve further.

LProtag

Yeah, honestly I think it's this first hurdle I'm having trouble getting over. The one where I'm still not seeing how everything works when I'm playing and only winning 1 out of every 10 matches and not entirely understanding what I did differently.

Hopefully I'll have a realization about it soon.

Remember tigerin, ryu has one of the best crouch roundhouses in the game so use it often and learn how to combo into it. You can combo it of stand light punch, crouch light punch and crouch strong. Its main weakness is that on block its very punishable.

Top Bottom