• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Satyamdas

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Yeah, honestly I think it's this first hurdle I'm having trouble getting over. The one where I'm still not seeing how everything works when I'm playing and only winning 1 out of every 10 matches and not entirely understanding what I did differently.

Hopefully I'll have a realization about it soon.
If you are getting flustered under pressure a lot, or are unsure what to do when you have an opportunity to punish, I would suggest watching some high level Ken videos to get an idea of what they do in certain situations. Not that you should try to copy everything they do, but watching and paying attention to how they space themselves, what they do vs. certain characters, and how they punish things can give you an idea of the fundamental way Ken should be played.

When you start out it's normal to have your hands go haywire in pressure situations, get flustered and mess things up, or fail to react in time to punish whiffed moves. All of this gets ironed out by just grinding matches. It's a great feeling when you start pulling stuff off that was previously almost impossible, and you will definitely notice big improvements if you stick with it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
biosnake20 said:
Remember tigerin, ryu has one of the best crouch roundhouses in the game so use it often and learn how to combo into it. You can combo it of stand light punch, crouch light punch and crouch strong. Its main weakness is that on block its very punishable.

Biosnake is trying to be an ass right here, and reciting thread memes instead of giving a new player helpful advice.

comboing into sweep isn't something you should be worried about right now because the timing is so strict. You have 16.7 thousandths of a second to hit the sweep button when trying to end a combo with sweep. If you hit the button after this tiny range of time passes you'll likely get punished hard. There are much more productive things you can be focusing on at this point.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Standing jabs into crouching roundhouse isnt viable but double mp into it is. You can combo double mp into a lot of things and it deals great damage.

Timedog said:
Biosnake is trying to be an ass right here, and reciting thread memes instead of giving a new player helpful advice.

comboing into sweep isn't something you should be worried about right now because the timing is so strict. You have 16.7 thousandths of a second to hit the sweep button when trying to end a combo with sweep. If you hit the button after this tiny range of time passes you'll likely get punished hard. There are much more productive things you can be focusing on at this point.
Actually im not trying to be an ass and your right, comboing into sweep isnt something he should be learning now. But knowing how to use it to punish is something he should be learning now. Ryu's sweep is the fastest in the game and has great range. So learn to use it because its his best normal next to his crouch forward. Dont just throw it out there but learn to predict and punish people with it. Its definitely very risky in some situations so be cautious with it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kadey said:
Standing jabs into crouching roundhouse isnt viable but double mp into it is. You can combo double mp into a lot of things and it deals great damage.
cr. mp and all jabs are +5 on hit, making the timing exactly the same. Any combo ending in sweep is a 1 frame link, counterhit notwithstanding.

biosnake20 said:
Actually im not trying to be an ass and your right, comboing into sweep isnt something he should be learning now. But knowing how to use it to punish is something he should be learning now. Ryu's sweep is the fastest in the game and has great range. So learn to use it because its his best normal next to his crouch forward. Dont just throw it out there but learn to predict and punish people with it. Its definitely very risky in some situations so be cautious with it.
Agreed. Although I would say cr. mp is his 2nd best normal.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Timedog said:
cr. mp and all jabs are +5 on hit, making the timing exactly the same. Any combo ending in sweep is a 1 frame link, counterhit notwithstanding.

Agreed. Although I would say cr. mp is his 2nd best normal.

I find it much easier to do c.mp twice. Plus I'm sure it's 2 frames and not one.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Rentahamster said:
Aw, darn, I missed it. I was actually playing tonight, hehe.

I can restream again. You guys have to join. Don't feel like playing lagging ass randoms which I have been tonight.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kadey said:
I can restream again. You guys have to join. Don't feel like playing lagging ass randoms which I have been tonight.
Ah, well at the time I posted I had already stopped for the night. Playing me might not be the best solution for lag, though, we're pretty far away.

zlatko

Banned
Played probably a 100 game session tonight with a friend of a friend I had never played. Turns out he's god like. He could play every character at a high level. 1 frame links? No problem. SJC combos? Got those. Kara throws? Sure. Block strings/frame traps? Yes sir.

He mained Cammy, subbed Ken, and had the most aggressive Guile of all time. Out of those 100 games I maybe won 20 at most and it was mostly with M. Bison, although a few were with Yang. I have never gotten bodied so hard. I kept trying to do footsies, anti airs, rush down, turtle, and even threw in some random. Easily the best I've ever played EVER... but it made me realize just how big and awful the gap between me and a good player is even though I've been trying to get good at SF4 for 3 years now since vanilla.

Maybe it's time to call it a wrap for me. If in 3 years I can only take 20ish games off a guy playing basically random on character select, who also started at vanilla, then I'm ass.

Also... holy shit at the last couple of pages. God damn. <3 Douglas and Saty though. No one trolls harder on Gaf. NOBODY!

V_Arnold

Rocky_Balboa said:
Oldern, good games yesterday. Now I can play online again, yay for a good internet connection.

I uploaded two clips from yesterday also.
vs you Blanka friend
The ending was pretty fun in this one.

Overhead practice
In the next match, he started blocking more :).

Yeah, good games, man.
My friends are good, I am not only rusty, but my T6 arcade stick has gotten to a point where if I do a simple SRK motion from a back (defending position), it comes out as a double circle. Insane.

Will get a TE stick soon, so I will step up my Viper then :D

zlatko said:

I know the feeling. I've also been playing since the start of vanilla, and have been taking the game seriously since late I discovered streams in mid 2009. I've worked on a lot of things, name them and I've tried. I know this is a video game and isn't based on any kind of physical attributes, but I believe that not all of us can become the next Daigo or Justin no matter how hard we try. I've been gaming with a friend that I met on SRK in early 2010(who lives close to me). We've been playing together for a while and I've seen his progress, he can make great reads, has great execution, can anti-air consistently, and has amazed me several times in tournaments with his performance. I can say nothing for myself, hell, in my last tournament I fucking choked hard.

But even with all that said, I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I still enjoy the game and love being apart of the community. I went to EVO for the first time this past July. This was always something I've wanted to do since I first saw the Daigo parry video way back in 2004. I'm thankful that the release of SF4 has made me rediscover my love for the series and fighting games in general and no matter how hard I continued to get bodied by you guys, randoms, or at tournaments, I'm going to keep coming back. I once told my girlfriend that I'm surprised how much this game and the streams have taken over my life. Not that I'm obsessed with it, but it's almost like a sport to me. I'm looking forward to the next Major like a boxing or MMA fan would be looking forward to the next big PPV event. Usually when the Football season ends, shit gets kind of depressing. But the FGC keeps me busy year round with plenty of streams to watch and some great local tournaments to attend and I'm thankful for all that.

Oh and on the subject of sweep again, if Akuma had a 5 frame sweep like Ryu, I wonder if he can tatsu sweep the entire cast?

zlatko

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
*things said*

Sort of similar here, minus the me going out to tournaments since I live in dildo island AKA bum fuck nowhere Nebraska.

I'm thankful for this game and helping me step it up, and open my eyes to ton of other fighters too. Community is awesome, and I'm always trying to catch the next stream, video, etc.

As for SF4 itself, the game, I think it just isn't for me. It isn't a fit. I'm going to keep searching though for a new fighter that lets me transition all the fundamentals I've learned from SF4, and then be able to apply them and make bigger strides at being competitive with it than my attempts with 4.

What game will that be though is up in the air. KoF 13, TTT2, Skullgirls, P4 fighter, and UMvC3 I'm keeping my eye on/buying, and I think something out of those games has got to be a better fit if I put in a couple months time.

I'm sure I'll get back into 4 when 2012 hits so I can fiddle with some fresh changes though. :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I can't believe I lost to that marauder guy. I had him in the 3rd round if I wouldn't have freaked out and instead just fucking ultra'ed. instead I did cr. mk > ex fireball but somehow EX SRK came out, and it didn't hit him. FUCK!

The ryu vs. DeeJay matchup is no fun anyway.

Number45

USD said:
Finally see a Fei Long do a counter-hit cl.MP &#8594; UC1 set-up (naturally it was Mago). I'm surprised more Fei players don't do it, it is a legitimate way to land Ultra, though I'm too ass to do it myself.
Just when I thought I had all of the SF terminology down... what is "cl."? Close?

Number45 said:
Just when I thought I had all of the SF terminology down... what is "cl."? Close?

Yes, I'm guessing you know that each move has a close and far away property so I won't get into that unless you actually don't know.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Lobby and stream is still going.

Saty is trying to get Renta to take off his pants and said he would sleep in a bed with Greg.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wow. Okay I need to learn how to block dive kicks again.

Rufus: haven't played Rufus in so long I forgot if his dive kick crosses up or not.

E. Ryu: no clue if his dive kick crosses up. Rice-Eater hit me with that shit 800 times cause I thought it was gonna cross up. I'm guessing it can't cross up?

Actually wait, do any divekicks cross up? Maybe it would be easier to try and remember just the ones that do, if any.

TGMIII

Timedog said:

Rufus: haven't played Rufus in so long I forgot if his dive kick crosses up or not.

E. Ryu: no clue if his dive kick crosses up. Rice-Eater hit me with that shit 800 times cause I thought it was gonna cross up. I'm guessing it can't cross up?

Actually wait, do any divekicks cross up? Maybe it would be easier to try and remember just the ones that do, if any.

I thought they could all cross up, rufus can for sure but if he hits too high he can't combo from it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh, I see why I was blocking the E. Ryu divekick wrong. Rice is throwing it out there ambiguous. Looks like it's gonna be a cross up normal, then changes trajectory. I'm gonna have to work harder on anti-airing E.Ryu. Hard in that lag though.

GG's everyone.

Timedog said:

when i first played Rice's E.Ryu....I was eating them dive kicks too because of the same reason. No shame if one doesn't know the matchup.

Guys I threw out my disc. And I started playing my back log (starting with Lords of Shadow)

feelsgoodman.gif

rivals

Lost Fragment said:
Learning how to play as many characters as you can is a really good idea, but not until you already have a solid grasp of the game as a whole. Playing too many characters when you're first starting out probably isn't great, yea.

So anyway, anybody here play Fei Long? Need to work on that match.

I'm not great but I picked up Fei a bit ago. Hit me up if you want to get matches in, my gt is r1vls.

Hitokage said:
But you can get the download version.

NO ESCAPE

yeah, I downloaded the PC version a few weeks ago.

But I am trying to take this day by day. So far so good :)

my stress levels has gone down considerably

Yackie

So, anyone have tips for a new-ish player learning to play Dhalsim? (I started out trying to main Ryu and then Fei, but I think Dhalsim fits more to my style)

I've already waded through the SRK forums and have been watching a ton of streams and videos of Dhalsim players all over youtube and this is what I've learned so far:
-Spacing is incredibly important (I think this is kind of obvious)
-the anti-air game is also incredibly important
-never get caught in the corner
-be patient

Anything else that I'm missing?

So far I'm working on trying to get the instant air teleport move down. I can get it like 50% of the time now. I'm also trying to add in the back HP, back MK, yoga flame combo. Any other important combos I should know?

There's been a real nosedive in online players this past couple of weeks. Is it schools back in session or something? It seems the only people online (UK PSN) are the 11000BP crowd :(

Player matches even worse - 0BP, plays like 25000BP :(

Red Liquorice said:
There's been a real nosedive in online players this past couple of weeks. Is it schools back in session or something? It seems the only people online (UK PSN) are the 11000BP crowd :(

Player matches even worse - 0BP, plays like 25000BP :(
It's the 3rd Strike OE effect.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, just kidding.

Timedog said:
Oh, I see why I was blocking the E. Ryu divekick wrong. Rice is throwing it out there ambiguous. Looks like it's gonna be a cross up normal, then changes trajectory. I'm gonna have to work harder on anti-airing E.Ryu. Hard in that lag though.

GG's everyone.

Rats, I've been found out. I actually thought you figured it out in the 2nd match. Near the end of the 3rd round, I scored a throw or something and went for a cross up thinking, you were probably going to look for a dive kick. But you didn't and I ended up losing that match.

BotoxAgent said:
when i first played Rice's E.Ryu....I was eating them dive kicks too because of the same reason. No shame if one doesn't know the matchup.

Guys I threw out my disc. And I started playing my back log (starting with Lords of Shadow)

feelsgoodman.gif

I'm surprised I hit you with it so often. I figured you would just EX tatsu every jump in that didn't look like a ex tatsu bait. That's what I hate so much about playing characters like Guy, Chun, Dee Jay, and a few others. You just can't do a jump in attack after a untechable knockdown because there anti-air is anti cross up or auto corrects so well.

Good luck with your break, hope you come back soon though.

Satyamdas

Banned
Yackie said:
So, anyone have tips for a new-ish player learning to play Dhalsim? (I started out trying to main Ryu and then Fei, but I think Dhalsim fits more to my style)

I've already waded through the SRK forums and have been watching a ton of streams and videos of Dhalsim players all over youtube and this is what I've learned so far:
-Spacing is incredibly important (I think this is kind of obvious)
-the anti-air game is also incredibly important
-never get caught in the corner
-be patient

Anything else that I'm missing?

So far I'm working on trying to get the instant air teleport move down. I can get it like 50% of the time now. I'm also trying to add in the back HP, back MK, yoga flame combo. Any other important combos I should know?
If you have Super meter and you get a crumple stun or a dizzy, your highest damage punish is HP Flame xx Super.

A good non-special move combo is down-back HP > B+HK. Tight link but 175 damage/350 stun. You can also link down-back HP into itself for 170 damage/300 stun. Slightly easier than the B+HK link. And you can link a Super after a db.HP for 385 damage. Good thing about that one is you have all day to hit the Super after the db.HP. Also, always remember that you get a free juggle hit after Super in the corner (only if you use LP version though), so make sure to add that B+HK to the end for a little extra damage.

If someone whiffs something like a srk in your face, your best and easiest punish is B+HP xx MP Flame for 200 damage and 200 stun. B+HP xx EX Flame does 20 less damage but 100 extra stun (lol).

And in the corner, Sim can do db.MP x2 > B+MK xx LP Flame for 249 dmg/350 stun. (256dmg/420stun if you use EX Flame). If you aren't in the corner, then cancel the B+MK into a Yoga Fire for safe pressure, or cancel it into a back teleport to gain space.

Check this video out. A lot of these are impractical, but there are some good combos in there that are useful and show you what links into what.

Satyamdas said:
If someone whiffs something like a srk in your face, your best and easiest punish is B+HP xx MP Flame for 200 damage and 200 stun. B+HP xx EX Flame does 20 less damage but 100 extra stun (lol).
lol what

good going Capcom.

Yackie

Satyamdas said:
If you have Super meter and you get a crumple stun or a dizzy, your highest damage punish is HP Flame xx Super.
A good non-special move combo is down-back HP > B+HK. Tight link but 175 damage/350 stun. You can also link down-back HP into itself for 170 damage/300 stun. Slightly easier than the B+HK link. And you can link a Super after a db.HP for 385 damage. Good thing about that one is you have all day to hit the Super after the db.HP. Also, always remember that you get a free juggle hit after Super in the corner (only if you use LP version though), so make sure to add that B+HK to the end for a little extra damage.
And in the corner, Sim can do db.MP x2 > B+MK xx LP Flame for 249 dmg/350 stun. (256dmg/420stun if you use EX Flame). If you aren't in the corner, then cancel the B+MK into a Yoga Fire for safe pressure, or cancel it into a back teleport to gain space.
Check this video out. A lot of these are impractical, but there are some good combos in there that are useful and show you what links into what.

Rentahamster said:
@Yackie check a few pages back, someone asked the same thing and we wrote out some advice there, too.

Thanks for the combo tips, and thanks Rentahamster, I totally missed those posts. I went back and found them and you're right, there's a lot of good stuff there. I think I have a long road of practicing ahead of me.

Kai

Timedog said:
cr. lk, cr. lp, cr. hp xx hk hurricane kick

If you miss the timing on the link between cr. lp and cr. hp, the hurricane kick will be blocked and then the opponent can punish you once you land. Even if the combo lands, your opponent gets up off the ground about the same time as you land from the hurricane kick. If this is scary, you can substitute a mk hurricane kick instead of an hk, which makes you land sooner and is a bit safer, although it does a bit less damage. If you're fighting against a Zangief or someone who you don't want to be right next to, it's usually preferable to use mk hurricane.

note: of course both of these combos I've shown can be started out with a jumping attack.

After you get both of these combos down well, later we can work on what's called "hit-confirming". I have a scheme in training mode I need to show you. Then we can work on FADC'ing a dragon punch, ways to hit your ultra and super moves, etc. In the meanwhile, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

These are great Ryu combos - do you have anything similar for Ken players? I basically was flowchart scrub - now I am getting footsie game down and using MK and cr.MK to poke and cancel into Fireball or EX Fireball well. I can do some insane combos in practice (usually an assortment of cr.lp, cr,lk into cr.mk XX either Firebal/Tatsu) but I can never get these going in a real match....

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kai said:
These are great Ryu combos - do you have anything similar for Ken players? I basically was flowchart scrub - now I am getting footsie game down and using MK and cr.MK to poke and cancel into Fireball or EX Fireball well. I can do some insane combos in practice (usually an assortment of cr.lp, cr,lk into cr.mk XX either Firebal/Tatsu) but I can never get these going in a real match....

I don't play Ken at all. I've chose him like 4 total times, I'm sorry.

That same exact combo in bold works with Ken. It's a nice b'nb, but unlike Ryu it doesn't knock down. You might want to substitute the tatsu with a HP shoryu.

Top Bottom