• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

USD

The worst thing is that I think I have every strain of the virus.

I think I'm gonna fucking hide in MarkMan's luggage the next time he goes to Japan. Plan A was to become Mega Man and absorb his power, but Mega Man is fucking dead.

USD

From Desora, the inside of the Mad Catz booth giving off a slight museum vibe.

Ws2XW.jpg

USD said:
Haha, I thought you were joking. Crazy.

On a side note, I think I'm coming down with a bad case of yellow fever.

I have therapy sessions for this. Hit me up.

Rentahamster said:
Just got back home...hmmm....drunk...is watching SBO worth it...lolz...bleh

Drunk posts are awesome.

black_vegeta said:
Tonight is the Daigo vs Poongko ft10

http://www.twitch.tv/topangatv 20:00 Japan time

Salty runback time.

Professor Beef said:
Missed this earlier. If I had spent all that money with the intent of entering a tournament, only to be shown the door, then I would consider the trip already completely wasted. Knowing myself, I would either want to go back home immediately, or barring that possibility, stay in bed until I have to leave.

Satyamdas said:
DQWPt.jpg

I'm mostly kidding, of course, but doesn't that reaction strike you as a bit petulant and whiny for a grown man? Sure, getting fucked like that is a /major/ fucking bummer, but why would you throw a tantrum and deny yourself a great opportunity to experience another country and culture? You gonna pout and fly all the way home with your arms crossed and a big ole frownie face on your mug? C'mon, son.

I will have to agree with Saty here but maybe i like to salvage some positive out of everything :(

N4Us

BananaKen posts from the Awful Forums:

I'm still really mad about the whole ordeal. Long story short, worst tournament experience I've ever had. Overall Japan has been nice I guess? It's a shame there's not nearly enough time to do much. The time allotted was not enough to actually go places, mostly focus on SBO. We were notified that we didn't actually have a spot on Saturday morning, on the train to SBO. The rest of the day was spent negotiating with fubarduck translating.

In the end, both of us played Kuwait, as nervous wrecks, and failed. We never actually participated in SBO, and that's the end of it. I'm gonna try to enjoy the rest of my time here!

I'm not saying that it was handled well, just that it's better than "Sorry, you aren't in the tournament".
No it's actually not, they just put us in a position where we can either just forfeit, or pretty much attempt to steal the spot from Kuwait, which is what essentially would have happened in the case we won (even though we both had legitimate spots).

In retrospect, we should have just forfeited.

Were the SBO people at least apologetic? The whole thing sounds shady as gently caress and a lot of people are rightfully pissed on your behalf

Of course, but they seemed to have no intention of taking responsibility for their actions, nor they seemed to show any inclination to compensate us. I still don't know exactly what they did wrong, only that "someone screwed up" and managed to ignore the PZ qualifier results for 3 weeks, while somehow managing to not catch attention of that spot appearing in magazines.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Was hoping Josh would be back in NY before GC but it looks like that won't happen. Womp womp womp.

So events this week. Good stuff.

Satyamdas said:
I'd have no problem putting my money on Dashio, Dath, Uryo, or Tonpy doing better than Latif against any of the same opponents. For free. They don't spam EX Seismo out of panic when they are under pressure like he does, they make better reads than he does, and they don't play as reckless as he does. Latif gets away with just mashing EX Seismo on defense under pressure and rushing brainlessly on offense because the level of competition over here is a lot lower. Japanese Vipers cut their teeth against a whole other level of competition, and their better fundamentals and defense make them better than him by far.

Dunno how the fuck I forgot to mention Kyabetsu. That dude is like Latif x10000000000000.

I'd be rich! Top japanese players have BEEN coming to Evo for sf4, and US has been hanging with them just fine outside of the top spot. You act like the players in japan are monumentally better than the evo reps this year, when in fact, those that showed up were the best of the best from that country. There is no "whole other level" of competition that you speak of. On the topic of mashing ex seismo, if they're not punishing it, then why not? I've seen tournaments where latif backdashed a million times because he was getting away with it. If you can get away with it, then do it.

Also, catch the >>Arkansas Regional Knockouts<< tournament! Lots of top players from the south, also wong and marn are present.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Also Capcom has announcement for whatever it is.

And. For tournaments. Wouldn't it be practical to rent mobile broadband for a month during a tourney in case of mishaps? It wouldn't cost that much and save a lot of headaches in case of problems.

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
I'd be rich! Top japanese players have BEEN coming to Evo for sf4, and US has been hanging with them just fine outside of the top spot. You act like the players in japan are monumentally better than the evo reps this year, when in fact, those that showed up were the best of the best from that country. There is no "whole other level" of competition that you speak of.
No, I'm just saying Latif is not going to go to SBO and do any damage there. He probably does have a better chance than almost anyone from the US to get past the first round, but that is due to the random factor of Viper. Japan sees Vipers that are on a different (better) level than Latif daily, whether you want to believe it or not. And yes, SBO *is* a whole other level of competition.

FindMyFarms said:
On the topic of mashing ex seismo, if they're not punishing it, then why not? I've seen tournaments where latif backdashed a million times because he was getting away with it. If you can get away with it, then do it.
That's my point. You see him doing that in American tournaments, not Japanese. He can do that because he plays Americans who are by and large free to Viper's nonsense, so yeah he gets away with that shit here. His bad habits and bad defense would get blown up in Japan for free. That's not to say he can never level up, but as it stands right now? Nah.

Are you really trying to tell me that Latif > Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu?

USD said:
ARK IV going on, casuals before the team tournament. Justin Wong and Marn in attendance, limited internet:

You'd think at this point, when you know you are going to be streaming, you'd talk to the venue before you book it about what kind of internet they have. Yet you still see "limited internet" at like every third major or so.

Nyoro SF

Satyamdas said:
Are you really trying to tell me that Latif > Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu?

Player rankings are really hard to determine due to differing playstyles and choices in-game, but I would say that Latif stands on equal footing with the best Vipers.

Not using SBO as a measure. Single elimination is unreliable. GodsGarden is the new frontrunning tournament in Japan that can show consistent results from the killers there.

So I hope to see Latif fight at GodsGarden 5. :)

Satyamdas

Banned
Nyoro SF said:
Player rankings are really hard to determine due to differing playstyles and choices in-game, but I would say that Latif stands on equal footing with the best Vipers.
Not using SBO as a measure. Single elimination is unreliable. GodsGarden is the new frontrunning tournament in Japan that can show consistent results from the killers there.

So I hope to see Latif fight at GodsGarden 5. :)
I'm just going by what I see when I watch each of them play. Latif has the execution down, but he doesn't have the solid defense or the reading abilities of the best Vipers. When Latif is under pressure he panics and mashes out EX Seismos. He autopilots on offense. That works fine against lesser competition, but the top Vipers in Japan don't do that shit because they would get blown up for it. I'm not saying Latif is like BLACKHAWKxDOWN in comparison to Japanese Vipers, but he is also not on an equal footing with them in any way other than execution ability.

Nyoro SF

Satyamdas said:
I'm just going by what I see when I watch each of them play. Latif has the execution down, but he doesn't have the solid defense or the reading abilities of the best Vipers. When Latif is under pressure he panics and mashes out EX Seismos. He autopilots on offense. That works fine against lesser competition, but the top Vipers in Japan don't do that shit because they would get blown up for it. I'm not saying Latif is like BLACKHAWKxDOWN in comparison to Japanese Vipers, but he is also not on an equal footing with them in any way other than execution ability.

I don't think you're giving him enough credit. He definitely plans his attacks out and very rarely drops his techniques. Here you can see him do two EX Seismos and meterless FADC both a row, for example.
http://youtu.be/owmol4LXAJc?t=1m52s

I like this interview because he explains his thoughts at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxrVOclFgAg

Granted nearly all Vipers I see, in Japan or otherwise:
1) "Never block" on wakeup because of her ridiculously varied wakeup options
2) Are willing to take risks because she can deal obscene damage and stun off one mistake in return
3) Will do burn kicks as you're standing up all day, even if they don't know which side they are on themselves

So can we blame him for playing Viper to "full effectiveness"? I really don't like being on the receiving end of Viper's shenanigans, but I can confidently say that he didn't mash his way to the top of EVO 2011 after reviewing his match footage many times.

EDIT: By mash, I know that you didn't mean online derp mashing LOL. I mean mash the way you described it, inability to handle pressure

Satyamdas

Banned
Nyoro SF said:
I don't think you're giving him enough credit. He definitely plans his attacks out and very rarely drops his techniques. Here you can see him do two EX Seismos and meterless FADC both a row, for example.
http://youtu.be/owmol4LXAJc?t=1m52s

I like this interview because he explains his thoughts at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxrVOclFgAg

Granted nearly all Vipers I see, in Japan or otherwise:
1) "Never block" on wakeup because of her ridiculously varied wakeup options
2) Are willing to take risks because she can deal obscene damage and stun off one mistake in return
3) Will do burn kicks as you're standing up all day, even if they don't know which side they are on themselves

So can we blame him for playing Viper to "full effectiveness"? I really don't like being on the receiving end of Viper's shenanigans, but I can confidently say that he didn't mash his way to the top of EVO 2011 after reviewing his match footage many times.

EDIT: By mash, I know that you didn't mean online derp mashing LOL. I mean mash the way you described it, inability to handle pressure
How am I not giving him credit? He's a good player, there is no doubt about that. I'm not taking anything away from his performance at EVO or from him as a player. You don't get to grand finals at EVO without serious skills, even if you do use herp derp Viper.

This whole tangent started when someone wondered how Latif would have done at SBO this year. ProfBeef said "paging Saty" thinking I would have a problem with that question. My opinion is he would have gotten bodied at SBO just like everyone else from America that went.

Farms seems to think that Latif is better than the best Vipers in Japan, that he would win more against a common opponent than they would. I see this as either ignorance or fanboy level delusion. Yes Latif is a good Viper player. Yes, because he uses Viper he might have a better chance of randoming someone out and getting to the 2nd round than anyone else from the US. No, he is not better than or as good as the best Japanese Vipers (Kyabetsu, Uryo, Dashio, etc.). His defense is worse than theirs, and he is more prone to panicking and trying to EX Seismo his way out of trouble. I don't agree that Latif plays Viper to full effectiveness simply because his defense is weak as hell and his offense is too autopilot too often.

If Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu are 10s, then Latif is an 8. That's all I'm saying. I'm fine with disagreement.

Satyamdas said:
I'm mostly kidding, of course, but doesn't that reaction strike you as a bit petulant and whiny for a grown man? Sure, getting fucked like that is a /major/ fucking bummer, but why would you throw a tantrum and deny yourself a great opportunity to experience another country and culture? You gonna pout and fly all the way home with your arms crossed and a big ole frownie face on your mug? C'mon, son.
Infinite Justice said:
I will have to agree with Saty here but maybe i like to salvage some positive out of everything :(
I agree with you on this one, I really do. But if I'm spending hundreds of dollars to go to Japan for the sole purpose of a tournament, then that's what I'm going to be concentrating on. Not exploring the country or sightseeing. I know that's not the ideal or "grown-up" response, but that's more than likely something that I personally would do. Not out of anger, but out of depression.

Edit: Just saw God's Beard was banned. Reading through the UMvC thread right now, can't wait to see how it happened.

cackhyena

Kadey said:
Bottom line. Eva > Latiff

Anybody wants to play in like an hour or so? I'm so out of it but it should be fun.
Yes, please!

I just got done destroying this fool for about 8 straight games before he dropped mid match from frustration. I am not kidding when I say I don't think he blocked once. Just straight up specials all the way. No combos, wake up everything you can think of. It was hilarious and and sad at the same time. He learned not a goddamn thing in our entire play time.

USD

Joekage said:
lmao @ justin wongs twin sister. if only you guys knew the whole story. hahahahahaha
Was reading the chat, I knew it. I'm going to start listening to Peppy and trusting my instincts.

What is the whole story then?

Joekage

Yeah, that girl is not J Wong's sister. An eerie resemblance for sure. She lives in Austin , very close to me actually. She's a good friend of mine. She came to EVO and stayed with me as well. We have an inside joke that she's Justine Wong since she looks like him. She is kinda part of the austin street fighter scene so she got exposure on the UFO streams (you can see her at the SBO stream while I was commentating) and of course her going to EVO. She talks to Marn and J Wong on facebook though. But yeah, long story short, she's a girl from austin who looks a little like justin wong. stream monsters saw her and the trolling commenced. that pic is from facebook so i'm assuming a stream monster saw it and posted it on the chat lol.

FindMyFarms said:
I'd be rich! Top japanese players have BEEN coming to Evo for sf4, and US has been hanging with them just fine outside of the top spot. You act like the players in japan are monumentally better than the evo reps this year, when in fact, those that showed up were the best of the best from that country. There is no "whole other level" of competition that you speak of.

I agree with this man, and if it was Thursday there would be man love. Latif is the hottest player in the country right now. At the beginning of the year, I would've said it was Wolfkrone (and he still is), but Latif definitely blew it up with PJS, Revelations, Evo and SBO Qual. He's beaten Daigo, Tokido, Justin Wong, Poongko, 801 Strider, Ryan Hart, etc.

He can hang with the top Japanese players (except for Fuudo). And with all this conjecture, imagine if he had practice time playing against more players in Japan how much better he'd be.

The only thing holding his team back would have been Mr. SNK.

Satyamdas said:
Farms seems to think that Latif is better than the best Vipers in Japan, that he would win more against a common opponent than they would. I see this as either ignorance or fanboy level delusion. Yes Latif is a good Viper player. Yes, because he uses Viper he might have a better chance of randoming someone out and getting to the 2nd round than anyone else from the US. No, he is not better than or as good as the best Japanese Vipers (Kyabetsu, Uryo, Dashio, etc.). His defense is worse than theirs, and he is more prone to panicking and trying to EX Seismo his way out of trouble. I don't agree that Latif plays Viper to full effectiveness simply because his defense is weak as hell and his offense is too autopilot too often.

If Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu are 10s, then Latif is an 8. That's all I'm saying. I'm fine with disagreement.

Nah, there's nothing delusional or fanboyish about my assessment, and calling it that isn't an argument at all. My basis is on how I've viewed his matches. Him doing things on defense isn't bad habits, it's me pointing out how he'll TAKE what the defense gives you, there's nothing scrubby about that, be it mashing back dashes, or ex seismos. You can watch just as many jump backs and back dashes on top japanese tournaments as well.. Now obviously, everyone cracks under pressure at times, even daigo. Everyone is prone to a series of bad decisions, and I'm not excluding latif from, but his overall game is too solid.

Also, Japan is known as the home of random results, due to the format. Pretty much any viper has a shot a single match/elim tournament, and some would say that's the reason japanese vipers thrive in the first place. It's a testament to latif that he's been so successful in double elim and 2/3 match formats where the opponent can actually adjust to him. Random play is the last thing you can take away from Latif. So in my most objective opinion, seeing Latif play vs. the likes of Daigo, Poongko, (RF, kindevu, momochi in casuals, and also losing to fuudo again, he was on some god mode shit though lol) I say with confidence that he is better than all the vipers you listed, because I don't see any of those vipers doing as well against those players than latif.

Also, on a tangent, it's worth noting that 95% of japanese players prefer double elim or extended sets. Single match/elim tourneys for the longest time have just been made due to space/time constraints in arcades.

SamVimes said:
Gaf's own SmokeMaxx on stream now.

He's the T.O. for ark 4!

Joekage

I would just like to say that I think Viper is dumb but not as dumb as Gief. I would also like to say that FindmyFarms is dumb as well because he likes to play Viper. My last comment is that Fuudo is God.

P.S. Cody is also dumb.

Top Bottom