• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Nah, there's nothing delusional or fanboyish about my assessment, and calling it that isn't an argument at all. My basis is on how I've viewed his matches. Him doing things on defense isn't bad habits, it's me pointing out how he'll TAKE what the defense gives you, there's nothing scrubby about that, be it mashing back dashes, or ex seismos. You can watch just as many jump backs and back dashes on top japanese tournaments as well.. Now obviously, everyone cracks under pressure at times, even daigo. Everyone is prone to a series of bad decisions, and I'm not excluding latif from, but his overall game is too solid.

Also, Japan is known as the home of random results, due to the format. Pretty much any viper has a shot a single match/elim tournament, and some would say that's the reason japanese vipers thrive in the first place. It's a testament to latif that he's been so successful in double elim and 2/3 match formats where the opponent can actually adjust to him. Random play is the last thing you can take away from Latif. So in my most objective opinion, seeing Latif play vs. the likes of Daigo, Poongko, (RF, kindevu, momochi in casuals, and also losing to fuudo again, he was on some god mode shit though lol) I say with confidence that he is better than all the vipers you listed, because I don't see any of those vipers doing as well against those players than latif.

Also, on a tangent, it's worth noting that 95% of japanese players prefer double elim or extended sets. Single match/elim tourneys for the longest time have just been made due to space/time constraints in arcades.
Yeah, I'm sorry dude but that is just absolute nonsense. You are using one tournament run to say that he is better than Vipers who have been beating those same guys consistently since vanilla.

Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu, and other Vipers have beaten Daigo, Momochi, Kindevu, Tokido, Mago, etc., a fuckton more than Latif has. I'm not downplaying his wins because they were nice, but you are talking total craziness if you think those Japanese Vipers have not beaten the top Japanese players thousands of times by now. They play against them daily in their arcades for crying out loud. You mean to tell me Vipers who sharpen their skills vs. Daigo, Kindevu, Mago and company are not better than a Viper who sharpens his skills against random PJS scrubs on XBL? You can't be fucking serious, dude.

Your whole tangent about tourney formats is irrelevant. I'm talking about skill on a per match basis. I see a lot more skill when Kyabetsu or Uryo plays Viper than I do when Latif does.

Satyamdas said:
Yeah, I'm sorry dude but that is just absolute nonsense. You are using one tournament run to say that he is better than Vipers who have been beating those same guys consistently since vanilla.

Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu, and other Vipers have beaten Daigo, Momochi, Kindevu, Tokido, Mago, etc., a fuckton more than Latif has. I'm not downplaying his wins because they were nice, but you are talking total craziness if you think those Japanese Vipers have not beaten the top Japanese players thousands of times by now. They play against them daily in their arcades for crying out loud. You mean to tell me Vipers who sharpen their skills vs. Daigo, Kindevu, Mago and company are not better than a Viper who sharpens his skills against random PJS scrubs on XBL? You can't be fucking serious, dude.

Your whole tangent about tourney formats is irrelevant. I'm talking about skill on a per match basis. I see a lot more skill when Kyabetsu or Uryo plays Viper than I do when Latif does.

It's not just one tourney run, Latif's been playing out of his mind since the beginning of this year up until even two weeks ago when he won Sin City (wong, valle, et al in attendance.) As for the japanese vipers you speak of, they have yet to actual perform that well, regardless of what they're doing in casuals. They barely travel, and even at japanese tournaments their placings have been sporadic at best. I've seen kyabetsu go to a few korean tourneys and get straight bodied, and seeing how the japanese performed against latif in USA, and also from watching their vids there is nothing exceptional about their match up knowledge compared to the west's.

BTW, the tourney format point addressed the results in the east vs. west as they were influenced by tourney format, and how you said japanese players don't random out. It touched base on the discussion, but wasn't mean to be directly relevant, hence it being a tangent. There's no point going any further on this with you seeing as most of your discussion points are just, "woah u crazy dood! u not serious! fanboy! etc. etc.", not much to gain from that. All my points have been made clear and I don't really have anything else to say on the matter.

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
It's not just one tourney run, Latif's been playing out of his mind since the beginning of this year up until even two weeks ago when he won Sin City (wong, valle, et al in attendance.) As for the japanese vipers you speak of, they have yet to actual perform that well, regardless of what they're doing in casuals. They barely travel, and even at japanese tournaments their placings have been sporadic at best. I've seen kyabetsu go to a few korean tourneys and get straight bodied, and seeing how the japanese performed against latif in USA, and also from watching their vids there is nothing exceptional about their match up knowledge compared to the west's.
Uhh, did you also notice that Kyabetsu has won SBO *twice* now?

CYPSe.jpg

That's GodsGarden online preliminary results, and those were each first to 3 matches against each other.

GodsGarden #2 Results for Main Event

1. Tokido (Akuma)
2. Uryo (C. Viper)
3. Mizoteru (Blanka)

So you can miss me with this "Japanese Vipers don't do well vs. top Japanese players". It's just not borne out by the facts.

FindMyFarms said:
BTW, the tourney format point addressed the results in the east vs. west as they were influenced by tourney format, and how you said japanese players don't random out. It touched base on the discussion, but wasn't mean to be directly relevant, hence it being a tangent. There's no point going any further on this with you seeing as most of your discussion points are just, "woah u crazy dood! u not serious! fanboy! etc. etc.", not much to gain from that. All my points have been made clear and I don't really have anything else to say on the matter.
I never said Japanese players don't random out. I said it is a lot less likely because they play a much tighter game and have better defense. I don't care about tourney format because I don't look at tournament results as the final arbiter of a player's skill. It matters, sure, but I can tell when I'm watching casuals or a tourney match or a random replay on XBL whether someone is skilled or not. And while I agree Latif is very skilled, I don't see him on the same level as Uryo and company. He has great execution but is too prone to panicking and getting blown up for bad decisions.

I didn't mean anything by the "fanboy" comments, other than you are cherry picking results and ignoring obvious flaws in the dude's game in order to rank him as the best Viper player on the planet right now. That's just how it comes across to me.

broz0rs

Satyamdas said:
How am I not giving him credit? He's a good player, there is no doubt about that. I'm not taking anything away from his performance at EVO or from him as a player. You don't get to grand finals at EVO without serious skills, even if you do use herp derp Viper.

This whole tangent started when someone wondered how Latif would have done at SBO this year. ProfBeef said "paging Saty" thinking I would have a problem with that question. My opinion is he would have gotten bodied at SBO just like everyone else from America that went.

Farms seems to think that Latif is better than the best Vipers in Japan, that he would win more against a common opponent than they would. I see this as either ignorance or fanboy level delusion. Yes Latif is a good Viper player. Yes, because he uses Viper he might have a better chance of randoming someone out and getting to the 2nd round than anyone else from the US. No, he is not better than or as good as the best Japanese Vipers (Kyabetsu, Uryo, Dashio, etc.). His defense is worse than theirs, and he is more prone to panicking and trying to EX Seismo his way out of trouble. I don't agree that Latif plays Viper to full effectiveness simply because his defense is weak as hell and his offense is too autopilot too often.

If Uryo, Dashio, Kyabetsu are 10s, then Latif is an 8. That's all I'm saying. I'm fine with disagreement.

I think you're giving the Japanese Vipers way too much credit. I don't really even think this is a valid comparison considering all the Japanese players you mentioned, only Kyabetsu still mains Viper.

I also think you're probably comparing Latif's play with footage of him in major tournaments and the Japanese Vipers in casual online replays on Youtube. I use to follow Japanese Vipers and rarely do they consistently place well in the few tournaments they play in Japan. Not that it matters though, since the current game is AE.

Latif has bad defense? That's news to me considering many top players says he's probably the most patient Viper player in the US. Any player who is playing in a high tense situation will go with the easiest way out, which is EX seismo. Your description of his defensive lapse can be labelled to every Viper player. You could probably switch Latif's name with Marn and it would make more sense.

Speaking of EX seismo, Kyabetsu got bodied by Ojisan boy because he tried to bail out of bad situations with EX seismo every time. Unfortunately, it got stuffed by Yang's cr. lk. New Yang tech

SmokeMaxX

Lazy vs Crazy said:
You'd think at this point, when you know you are going to be streaming, you'd talk to the venue before you book it about what kind of internet they have. Yet you still see "limited internet" at like every third major or so.
I'd like to address this for the record.

When we tested the internet at the venue, we confirmed it to be over 2.0 Mb/s which is pretty good for streaming.

When we arrived at the venue, we discovered a connection that was BARELY at 0.5 Mb/s. HOURS of talking to the ONLY ISP in the entire town (ISPs have monopolies in small towns in Arkansas) and we find out that this week because of some natural disaster, the entire city (AFAIK) has been capped at 0.5 Mb/s. So that's why the quality looks like ass. We are very adamant about the quality of our stream. I'm sorry that it looks like ass. We kinda got screwed on that end. I can promise you that it'll look a LOT better this time. I contemplated running a 50 mile ethernet cable from my router to the venue. Hell even at my apartment I get 5+ Mb/s Upload.

Satyamdas

Banned
broz0rs said:
I think you're giving the Japanese Vipers way too much credit. I don't really even think this is a valid comparison considering all the Japanese players you mentioned, only Kyabetsu still mains Viper.

I also think you're probably comparing Latif's play with footage of him in major tournaments and the Japanese Vipers in casual online replays on Youtube. I use to follow Japanese Vipers and rarely do they consistently place well in the few tournaments they play in Japan. Not that it matters though, since the current game is AE.

Latif has bad defense? That's news to me considering many top players says he's probably the most patient Viper player in the US. Any player who is playing in a high tense situation will go with the easiest way out, which is EX seismo. Your description of his defensive lapse can be labelled to every Viper player. You could probably switch Latif's name with Marn and it would make more sense.

Speaking of EX seismo, Kyabetsu got bodied by Ojisan boy because he tried to bail out of bad situations with EX seismo every time. Unfortunately, it got stuffed by Yang's cr. lk. New Yang tech
First of all, no, I'm not comparing Latif's tournament play with random Japanese youtube casuals. I've seen all these players play a metric shit ton of SF, tourney and casuals, and my opinion is formed of them on the whole of what I've seen. I don't cherry pick results or ignore other shit, I'm just going by what I've seen, which is an unhealthy amount of SF4 since 2008. From what I've seen in that time, Latif is not better than the best Japanese Viper players.

Second, I think you and Farms are mistaking me rating Japanese Vipers higher than Latif for me saying he is not good, or he is some scrub, or he gets lucky, or some other shit I'm not saying. The dude is fucking good. Period. I just don't think he is *as good* as the BEST in Japan, much less BETTER THAN them.

His defense is suspect (like a lot of Vipers who refuse to block), and that's why Fuudo ate his ass up at EVO and in the Salty Suite. Same reason Banana Ken mauled him in their 1st to 10 a while back. Latif is not the most patient Viper in the US, Wolfkrone is.

SephirothRK said:
Yeah I just noticed that derp on my part. I was thinking "got to Grand Finals twice" and my fingers typed "won twice". Point is Latif would have got bodied just like everyone else.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah it's been said many times on streams and tournies that Wolfkrone is the most turtling and defensive Viper.

That being said. This is going to be badass! I hope Daigo picks like other characters too.

Every time I see Fuudo, I think of Lisa Loeb. He's like a Male Asian Lisa Loeb.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Dude, Findmyfarms also said that Buktooth's Ibuki could body Daigo for free when watching God's Garden.

Kadey said:
Every time I see Fuudo, I think of Lisa Loeb. He's like a Male Asian Lisa Loeb.
OMG lol:

edit: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SELECT SCREEN TROLLING BULLSHIT. WATCHING THIS IS WORSE THAN THE ENDING OF EVANGELIAN.

Satyamdas

Banned
There is no better sight in SF than when Poongko gets in his zone and his rushdown is firing on all cylinders. Thing of fucking beauty right there.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Guess I'll be watching an archive later on, shit still wont load - and Skisonic's Tweets keep spoiling it anyways so it won't be a surprise to me anymore...

USD

I knew I was going to miss it live, but hurry the fuck up JTV, I want to watch this shit.

Too bad I already know the results, expected though.

simtmb

I was just wondering, the C to shining C achievement/trophy.

Does anyone know if that can be done within AE?
Or does it need to be set to Super?

:S

I felt like getting the trophy all of a sudden, since I'm not far off from a platinum, but not knowing how this works is bugging me.

vulva

USD said:
Wait... what? Andrew W.K. is Japanese?

http://i.imgur.com/pOLSP.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ltz7v.jpg[IMG]

lol at Kayo's face in the first pic.[/QUOTE]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_Rock[/url]

USD

On that note, why are the AE characters getting another costume set? Are they going to give the Super characters (who only have three costumes) a set too so that everyone has four?

Top Bottom