• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
LOL. Back in the day.

a3H3v.jpg

Edgeward

GGs

My training mode only Cody needs work lol. I made it this far not knowing Sagat can't punish blanka balls without u2. Gonna have to grind out more these days if I really want to go to SCR.

nevermind, I'm an idiot. I figured it out. I feel dumb for losing to any Blanka now.

USD

Gama just posted up some of the early entries for NSB 30 (JP):

http://nsb.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/318/

Eigo-Zei (Team English)
Motto: Please don't leave us out the bracket!

Fubarduck (Ibuki)
801 Strider (Makoto)
Kim1234 (M.Bison)

23 teams listed so far, including an all-Hakan team and an all-Viper team.

the_log_ride said:
Seriously? Why the fuck do you take away Ken's ability to combo into sweep?

Scratchin' my head at the Ryu changes as well.

The Ryu change is a buff, just not as good of a buff as it could have been but it's still a buff.

kirblar

Professor Beef said:
GGs, kirblar. :x
I think I need a stick, cause I'm having issues with right-side inputs on my pad. (aka, if I'm on the P2 side, I'm fine, but it's too dfficult to do motions on the p1 side)

Rice-Eater said:
The Ryu change is a buff, just not as good of a buff as it could have been but it's still a buff.

Meh, you're right. Just gotta use MP or LP SRK now. But only 10 extra dmg on HP SRK is kind of ass, man

Still they didn't have to take away sweep for Ken.

the_log_ride said:
Meh, you're right. Just gotta use MP or LP SRK now. But only 10 extra dmg on HP SRK is kind of ass, man

Still they didn't have to take away sweep for Ken.

Depends how you look at it, it really benefits Ryu in these two ways

1. You can reliably anti-air with HP SRK now. That's an extra 30 damage over anti airing with MP SRK as long as you hit it deep enough. Then it's only an extra 10 damage.

2. If you can still super cancel it, it will do 460 damage, up from 400 in AE. Although they did take away the ability to FADC HP SRK, so who knows if they took away the ability to super cancel HP SRK as well. But if not then that's a pretty good buff. Hell, if you can get a counter hit HP SRK into Super, that's 500 damage.

The only flaw is that you have to get use to hitting new buttons. When you go for combos into Ultra now mid-screen, you have to use LP SRK for max damage instead of HP SRK. As for Ken, yep that does suck. I've been practicing that combo a lot. Forget that now, it'll be nothing but a distant memory in a few years.

I must admit, it's kind of nice to live through the changes as a serious player though. I never even noticed a difference when I went from SF2 to Turbo to Super. Same with SF3, I thought they just added new characters. I never even knew that they were changing the properties of characters normals, specials, and supers.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ryu changes: I guess it's at least good enough for me to keep using him. This basically takes about an extra 20-40 HP off every opponents life bar. I think that's a good way of quantifying how buffs/nerfs will affect rankings, by how much on average the buffs will effect damage given. Pure HP buffs/nerfs is a much better way of balancing too, instead of Capcom just changing completely random stuff that doesn't need to be changed. Of course they should get rid of stuff that's pure bullshit, and buff stuff that has no practical use cause it's too lame, but outside of those extremes, HP and damage buffs/nerfs are all that's needed.

Ryu is now mid tier again. Shoulda taken a few frames off his sweep recovery though :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
2. If you can still super cancel it, it will do 460 damage, up from 400 in AE. Although they did take away the ability to FADC HP SRK, so who knows if they took away the ability to super cancel HP SRK as well. But if not then that's a pretty good buff. Hell, if you can get a counter hit HP SRK into Super, that's 500 damage.
EX Focus is a Super cancel. They are the same as far as SF4 is concerned.

USD

Hitokage said:
Yep, which is why you can Super-cancel some moves that don't make sense combo-wise (like the first hit of Guile's cr.HK).

I swear I wrote out a response to that, I guess I forgot to actually post it, haha.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hitokage said:
So every character who can ex focus out of a move can super cancel that same move. And every move they can't ex focus out of, they can't super cancel out of? Is that why some moves aren't ex focus cancellable?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Timedog said:
So every character who can ex focus out of a move can super cancel that same move. And every move they can't ex focus out of, they can't super cancel out of? Is that why some moves aren't ex focus cancellable?
Correct.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lost Fragment said:
2 and a half years later and I still have no clue why Viper can special cancel her far st.hp on whiff.
Wow, I never knew she could do that. That's actually completely ridiculous.

Edgeward said:
GGs

My training mode only Cody needs work lol. I made it this far not knowing Sagat can't punish blanka balls without u2. Gonna have to grind out more these days if I really want to go to SCR.

nevermind, I'm an idiot. I figured it out. I feel dumb for losing to any Blanka now.

you're gonna enter SCR? let's train! i'll be entering as well (homecourt advantage lol)

Lost Fragment said:
2 and a half years later and I still have no clue why Viper can special cancel her far st.hp on whiff.

i think originally her pokes were really bad so they wanted to give her a chance to make one of them safe?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why is everyone so preoccupied on whether or not a character has a good wakeup reversal? That seems to really, really matter, but at the same time everyone says to never wakeup reversal. Is this entire game based around reversal then fadc to make it safe? Is that what the meaning of life boils down to?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Timedog said:
Why is everyone so preoccupied on whether or not a character has a good wakeup reversal? That seems to really, really matter, but at the same time everyone says to never wakeup reversal. Is this entire game based around reversal then fadc to make it safe? Is that what the meaning of life boils down to?
Having the threat of a reliable reversal at least allows them to play the rock, paper, scissor (block, backdash, reversal) game that characters with them can. Characters without them are obviously worse off having one less option.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Listen guys, I don't pay attention to the little quirks about the other characters. I don't need to know about if Viper can cancel stuff, or what M. Bisons special moves look like, or whether or not Adon has good normals. That's the kind of stuff you don't really need to know. I just like to be able to have an intuitive understanding of how certain characters move and how it feels to play against them. Each character has a rhythm, and different players can dance differently within that rhythm. You need to know the rhythm and feel of your opponents character. What you don't need to know is how many special moves Guile has.

cackhyena

Timedog said:
Listen guys, I don't pay attention to the little quirks about the other characters. I don't need to know about if Viper can cancel stuff, or what M. Bisons special moves look like, or whether or not Adon has good normals. That's the kind of stuff you don't really need to know. I just like to be able to have an intuitive understanding of how certain characters move and how it feels to play against them. Each character has a rhythm, and different players can dance differently within that rhythm. You need to know the rhythm and feel of your opponents character. What you don't need to know is how many special moves Guile has.
wat

Izuna

Banned
I can't wait for the Makoto/Ibuki/Yang 2012 changes. I'm very happy with Rufus' =)

Trying to get Number. 1 PP on AE PC is actually impossible I've found, I don't think it's possible to play 200 matches and get 9999999PP...

@jlai It's unfortunate that you removed me even though we only played one game, I'm trying to pick up Makoto in AE from 3S and it'd be good to play more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKonQmxGBA

Timedog said:

i'm sorry but what are you talking about?

Izuna

Banned
Timedog said:
Listen guys, I pay attention to the little quirks about the other characters. I need to know about if Viper can cancel stuff, or what M. Bisons special moves look like, or whether or not Adon has good normals. That's the kind of stuff you really need to know. I just like to be able to have an intuitive understanding of how certain characters move and how it feels to play against them. Each character has a moveset, and different players can fight differently with that moveset. You need to know the moveset and feel of your opponents character. What you don't need to know is how many special moves Guile has.

fixed.

Rice-Eater said:

They should just have given Ryu his cr.mk back and call it a day..I think Super ryu was pretty balance.

MarkMan said:
Anyone post the results from the Daigo kumite yet?

I'm lazy to click back.

Daigo only lost once to Iperu in the 50 man challenge. Tonpy was one of the players.

Daigo then played Banana Ken, Iperu, Hsien, Nemo, and Kazunoko.

Went 3-1 vs BK
Went 3-1 vs IP
Went 3-0 vs Hsien
Went 3-1 vs Nemo
Went 3-2 vs Kazunoko

jlai

izunadono said:
I can't wait for the Makoto/Ibuki/Yang 2012 changes. I'm very happy with Rufus' =)

Trying to get Number. 1 PP on AE PC is actually impossible I've found, I don't think it's possible to play 200 matches and get 9999999PP...

@jlai It's unfortunate that you removed me even though we only played one game, I'm trying to pick up Makoto in AE from 3S and it'd be good to play more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKonQmxGBA

Ah, I regularly clean my friends list and remove people I don't play. Just send me another friend request. If I'm not mistaken you're from Europe though right? I think I remember that delay + Ibuki being pretty tough to handle.

comrade

jlai said:
Ah, I regularly clean my friends list and remove people I don't play. Just send me another friend request. If I'm not mistaken you're from Europe though right? I think I remember that delay + Ibuki being pretty tough to handle.
There will be hell to pay if I've been removed, jlai.

Izuna

Banned
I really don't like using Ibuki to be fair, so don't worry about that. I need to discover zoning tactics with Makoto, so I'd love to play you with Guile or perhaps a mirror. I'll jump onto the chat someday.

jlai

comrade said:
There will be hell to pay if I've been removed, jlai.

Haha, you are still safe.

izunadono said:
I really don't like using Ibuki to be fair, so don't worry about that. I need to discover zoning tactics with Makoto, so I'd love to play you with Guile or perhaps a mirror. I'll jump onto the chat someday.

Yeah man, just add me and we can get some games in.

kitzkozan

Viscant is going back to Blanka for AE 2012, stating that he might potentially be top tier. :p I can already see the monstrous amount of tears and salt if that were to happen. Seeing Mago playing Sagat again also make me think that he's going to be top tier in 2012 until we see the changes for the remaining characters.

Sagat does look like the strongest shoto type character going into 2012, but looking forward to any Oni and E.Ryu additional changes.

Why won't they put some recovery on Guile's sonic booms, it's virtually impossible to punish.

Actually he's one of a few archaic characters I wish they'd just ditch and put in a more versatile version of. See also: Honda.

SmokeMaxX

Red Liquorice said:
Why won't they put some recovery on Guile's sonic booms, it's virtually impossible to punish.

Actually he's one of a few archaic characters I wish they'd just ditch and put in a more versatile version of. See also: Honda.
Bison says YESSSS to removal of both characters. Also, Guile is supposed to throw free sonic booms. What else do you want him to do? Rush down? lol

cackhyena

SmokeMaxX said:
Bison says YESSSS to removal of both characters. Also, Guile is supposed to throw free sonic booms. What else do you want him to do? Rush down? lol
In the right hands, Guile can pretty handily rush down.

Top Bottom