• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Joekage

V_Arnold said:
Cornered Viper. Knockdown. What you gonna do. Go.

Block?????!!!!!!!! You know, the most valid strategy is to block the mixup, work yourself out, and super jump across screen. You fail to see the big picture. The ex seismo nerf isn't that bad at all. It removed an option that she already had moves for.

Let's go through scenarios real quick for Viper in the corner knockdown.

They safejump you? You block, make a read on their mixup and go for the appropriate response.

They try to tick throw you? Burn kick. It's airborne on the first frame if I recall correctly and is fast enough to punish most characters throw animations as well. Or another option that they just gave to you? HP TK, and hey if you have two bars which you should now that you don't have to spam EX seismo to get out anymore, you can make it safe by FADC-ing

They try to hit you with a counter hit setup? Make a read and either block or reversal EX seismo at the right time to blow that shit up. The move still has physical invincibility. It will still win in those situations.

They jump at you? Blow that shit up with HP TK, antiair with Ultra if you're feeling yourself.

I can't think of any other scenarios where Viper can't just block, recognize the opponents strategy and then punish accordingly. She has an option for everything that you can throw at her. Just now you have to make a solid guess instead of having an option that beat physical attacks, as well as throw attempts. You have to guess on defense, just like any other character has to. I don't understand what the problem is?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Arturo getting ready to talk about the balance changes on Slasher's show

V_Arnold said:
Cornered Viper. Knockdown. What you gonna do. Go.

Welcome to when Makoto gets knocked down anywhere.

rbrogue said:
Youre overreacting. She's different, not bad. Thunder knuckle being throw invulnerable makes up for it as it now has the properties seismic had. It still converts to ultra off of pokes, just scrubby vipers that wakeup seismic for free ultra conversion get to learn to block ans tech.

Dunno how much I'm allowed to talk since I haven't seriously played Viper since vanilla (and my Viper is straight up ass these days, as you saw the other day, lol), but yea, I agree for the most part. But it is a big deal. At the same time, though, it's not.

Imm0rt4l

since kens ex dp hits 200 damage like goukens and recovers faster, I think capcom needs to stop fucking around and make goukens extatsu hit crouching opponents so I can fadc that shit.

Imm0rt4l said:
since kens ex dp hits 200 damage like goukens and recovers faster, I think capcom needs to stop fucking around and make it hit crouching opponents so I can fadc that shit.

It's so satisfying to hear that "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORYUKEN" and see ken 20 feet in the air and me knowing I took 0 chip and I get free punish :D

Professor Beef said:
They're apparently free.

bUX1m.gif

V_Arnold

Well, I am happy for you guys if you found my "rage" entertaining.
I hope it all works out for you at the end of the day. Different people, different strokes.

At least we are laughing :)

(Block is not an option everytime. Or I could block until the end of time in the corner against Fei Long, for example.)

Satyamdas

Banned
V_Arnold said:
I hope it all works out for you at the end of the day. Different people, different strokes.

(Block is not an option everytime. Or I could block until the end of time in the corner against Fei Long, for example.)
And what do you say to characters who have no reversal move, who have no other option than to block Viper's nonsense until the end of time in the corner all day? And if they dare to try to get out or tech a throw, they eat 400+ damage? Why should a character who has that kind of pressure and mixups and damage ALSO have so many good wakeup options?

Also, Art is a goddamn beast. <3 Sabin <3

V_Arnold said:

...so did you play Viper where you just wakeup ex seismic every time you get cornered? If so, then you're doing it wrong.

Joekage

V_Arnold said:

It's alright man. Viper does this to people, just like Yun teaches people to not give a damn. Block is an option yes, but like you said you can't block forever. That is true, but ex seismo is still viable as a reversal, it just can't break throw attempts now. You have to make a read and use the correct tech defense or reversal to get out of that situation.

No hard feelings or anything. Just trying to downplay the fact that this nerf is really gonna hurt Viper in competitive play as much as Viper players think it will.

rbrogue

Joekage said:
No hard feelings or anything. Just trying to downplay the fact that this nerf is really gonna hurt Viper in competitive play as much as Viper players think it will.

Joe is right. And its true, a lot of mid level vipers that don't play other characters think you need a mashable reversal, but honestly if you tech one throw you've already reset the spacing and you have enough room to super jump out of the corner, or punish them for trying to stop you for super jumping out.

Viper enables a lot of low-mid level players to play on auto-pilot and get rewarded for free damage, but this isn't a nerf at all to legitimately good viper players.

Axis

i lost it@most execution heavy character ever...she's not hard at all compared to characters in other games >.<

also gen>>>>>>>>viper in terms of difficulty

jlai

rbrogue said:
Joe is right. And its true, a lot of mid level vipers that don't play other characters think you need a mashable reversal, but honestly if you tech one throw you've already reset the spacing and you have enough room to super jump out of the corner, or punish them for trying to stop you for super jumping out.

Viper enables a lot of low-mid level players to play on auto-pilot and get rewarded for free damage, but this isn't a nerf at all to legitimately good viper players.

Sounds like you're in trouble then 8(

MIMIC

Banned
Was playing some guy and he thought I option selected Fuerte's Ultra.

Me? Option select? I'm too lazy to learn how option select ANYTHING. I was flattered....just good ol' fashioned anticipation and reaction =p

rbrogue

jlai said:
Sounds like you're in trouble then 8(

You exploit glitches to get the few wins you get currently. Fortunately your lack of skill will not be exposed as they're not touching your characters braindead tools.

Fragment > Jlai >8|

jlai

rbrogue said:
You exploit glitches to get the few wins you get currently. Fortunately your lack of skill will not be exposed as they're not touching your characters braindead tools.

Fragment > Jlai >8|

I knew I was always better than that 8| guy!

Threi

notag
V_Arnold said:

Do you even know what's its like to play a character with real limited options?

get your spoiled ass up out of this thread.

cackhyena

El Sloth

Banned
So, I came across this tweet from the CEO of MLG:
Sundance DiGiovanni said:
Twitter and Reddit nation. StarCraft on ESPN2... Would you tune in? I am sitting with a TV exec who wants to know. You've got an hour.

And it got me wondering: rather than Starcraft, would you guys watch fighting game majors on ESPN 2?

Cue ESPN "The Ocho" joke

El Sloth said:
So, I came across this tweet from the CEO of MLG:

And it got me wondering: rather than Starcraft, would you guys watch fighting game majors on ESPN 2?

Cue ESPN "The Ocho" joke

Of course I would. It would be more money for top players, and more top players would be produced (because of money and popularity). Oh yeah, and all the overseas competitors would travel for the tournaments.

Wait, is the 200 damage ex dp a nerf or a buff?? I'm so out of touch with ken lol

Axis said:
i lost it@most execution heavy character ever...she's not hard at all compared to characters in other games >.<

In general no, but she still has some hard shit that I don't see any top players doing consistently, namely super jump cancelling into a tiger knee'd burn kick out of normals. Usually players will feint cancel a normal first before going to the tk bk, but it's a lot more effective to SJC into it, but that's friggin hard to do over and over.

I played viper in AE and I think Ex seismo losing throw invulnerability is ok since they gave thunder knuckle that property. Getting thrown out of that was the most annoying thing ever lol.

Also fucking yes at Akuma being -2 on block for st. rh. That move is one of the most brainless spammable normals EVER. You need immaculate spacing and screen presence to punish it vs. a character with the fastest walk speed in the game, while the other player can mash on it brainlessly. If your character can duck the 2nd hit then sweet, but if not, it blows ass having to deal with that crap. So glad it got nerfed!

Top Bottom