• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Timedog said:
the problem with a jump in attack vs lariat is you have to hit so high in the air in order to beat it that you have little time to land and start a combo while he's still in hitstun. With an light or medium attack you probably won't be able to combo, and have to play the reversal spd guessing game once you land.

M Bison and Sagat have this shit on lock. M Bison neutral HK into teleport, Sagat neutral lk into TIGER

Timedog said:
the problem with a jump in attack vs lariat is you have to hit so high in the air in order to beat it that you have little time to land and start a combo while he's still in hitstun. With an light or medium attack you probably won't be able to combo, and have to play the reversal spd guessing game once you land.

That's the nature of the match-up. I don't see the big problem with it. Every jump in doesn't have to lead into a combo.

SmokeMaxX

Professor Beef said:
He wanted to know what jump-in attacks beat lariat.

Lariat is easy to stuff from the air as it is anyways if you know how to hit Gief's head.
...I feel like people missed the point of my post.

Rice-Eater said:
Yeah that does kind of suck for Gief players, but what I hate more is how he has such an easy anti-air that is a one stop solution for every kind of jump in. And it doesn't require him to let go of block or do any kind of motion, all he has to do is press 3 buttons(or just one if you map it).
Cody b-mp
Sakura/Guile/Boxer/Ryu/Akuma/etc. cr. hp
The list goes on.

These are moves that are very easy and very strong anti-airs that work in a very large amount of scenarios. They also consist of one button and one direction.

I wasn't saying you should use Sakura's crouching fierce to beat lariat...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
ThatCrazyGuy said:
That's the nature of the match-up. I don't see the big problem with it. Every jump in doesn't have to lead into a combo.

I didn't say every jump in had to lead to a combo, and I don't think I implied that it was unfair. I was just stating a reality of the match up. I pretty much just don't jump in on zangief, except for a couple circumstances.

-there's enough room that I can jump in and still be far enough away to avoid lariat, in order to avoid getting pushed into the corner. from full screen.

-safe jump OS

-throwing fireball from about 5/6ths screen trying to bait lariat, jump in roundhouse where my foot barely touches the lariat and beat it out (only works on n00bs usually--but that's most zangief players)

cHaotix8

BotoxAgent said:
Dan vs Cammy matchup is 6-4 according to James Chen, never forget, lol

I'd say it was 5-5. Cammy doesn't exactly have good footsies and it becomes hard to get in on a player that can anti air. A lot of what made the character good in Super is the lack of a height restriction on Cannon Strike, but without it I have to look out for Dans good pokes up close to get a knockdown or wait for him to jump.

cHaotix8 said:
I'd say it was 5-5. Cammy doesn't exactly have good footsies and it becomes hard to get in on a player that can anti air. A lot of what made the character good in Super is the lack of a height restriction on Cannon Strike, but without it I have to look out for Dans good pokes up close to get a knockdown or wait for him to jump.
Hearing James Chen moan about how there have been no changes to Cammy from AE Alpha to Beta was the most delicious salt I have ever tasted.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Training mode: yeah, ryu's j.hp beats the shit out of lariat from pretty much all angles and is easier to combo into because of longer hitstun. Nice. I'll still probably just combo into sweep and then reposition or jump-in OS because...online.

New character revealed.

Gcm1K.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Timedog said:
Training mode: yeah, ryu's j.hp beats the shit out of lariat from pretty much all angles and is easier to combo into because of longer hitstun. Nice. I'll still probably just combo into sweep and then reposition or jump-in OS because...online.
Test against crouch lariat. It doesn't perform nearly as well as Chun's forward jump roundhouse.

James Chen is the saltiest motherfucker around. He was complaining about cammy in super sf4. 2012 cammy is just fine. She was just outshined by the trinity in ae and now her most Comboed special is back to what it was in super. She'll be upper mid at least.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Imm0rt4l said:
meh, its was cool then, but its not terribly impressive to watch now since seth does that. He mauls.
Should have included the intro, or made that another evo moment.

Hitokage said:
Test against crouch lariat. It doesn't perform nearly as well as Chun's forward jump roundhouse.
lariat has different properties when you start it from crouch?

zlatko

Banned
Theory fighter GAF----where will Balrog sit in 2012? I feel like that's the character I'll put my time into when 2012 hits.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Timedog said:

Yup. It's also pretty easy to prejump cancel making it (sorta) throw invincible.

zlatko said:
Theory fighter GAF----where will Balrog sit in 2012? I feel like that's the character I'll put my time into when 2012 hits.

On a gigantic pile of fight money.

SmokeMaxX

Timedog said:

I don't think the properties are really different, it's just like dping from the crouch position. You get lower which helps the hitbox interactions in Gief's favor.

Kioshen

Timedog said:
I thought I explained in detail how I was getting the SRK out of that combo. What part are you having a problem with?

I was just curious in how you manage to still have your finger on HP when you're supposed to have them on any other Kick to do a cancelled tatsu but that was a digression.

If you'd still like to fix your problem via modding your stick then my original tip still stand. It's doable and our local modder did mod a TE stick with a second spring in the same chamber. The cause might be that the spring is simply worn out too. Also, Seimitsu are known to have a shorter throw and stiffer spring out of the box so it might be simpler to go that way albeit costlier.

Professor Beef said:
Hearing James Chen moan about how there have been no changes to Cammy from AE Alpha to Beta was the most delicious salt I have ever tasted.

Regardless of what's actually happening to Cammy, James Chen is known to constantly complain about anything and everything.

@Lost - Dunno if it's the actual cause, but after a close st. fierce, viper gets pushed back like a mofo, hurtbox especially. So maybe she was just out of range already?

FindMyFarms said:
Regardless of what's actually happening to Cammy, James Chen is known to constantly complain about anything and everything.

He's there to make sure we get our recommended daily intake of salt.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kioshen said:
I was just curious in how you manage to still have your finger on HP when you're supposed to have them on any other Kick to do a cancelled tatsu but that was a digression.

If you'd still like to fix your problem via modding your stick then my original tip still stand. It's doable and our local modder did mod a TE stick with a second spring in the same chamber. The cause might be that the spring is simply worn out too. Also, Seimitsu are known to have a shorter throw and stiffer spring out of the box so it might be simpler to go that way albeit costlier.

my finger isn't still on the hp button. I just did it in training mode and here were the inputs when i got an SRK:

lk, lp, d, db+hp, b, f, hk

It's probably from getting a bit overzealous and starting the qcb motion a little before it's necessary, but still, its insane that a srk comes out given that input.

Timedog said:
my finger isn't still on the hp button. I just did it in training mode and here were the inputs when i got an SRK:

lk, lp, d, db+hp, b, f, hk

It's probably from getting a bit overzealous and starting the qcb motion a little before it's necessary, but still, its insane that a srk comes out given that input.

Why the f? Isn't that completely unnecessary? Either way, that is ridiculous that something along the lines of that even comes close to registering as an srk.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
narcosis219 said:
Why the f? Isn't that completely unnecessary? Either way, that is ridiculous that something along the lines of that even comes close to registering as an srk.

you missed the previous discussion explaining the f on the last page. It's unintentional, from stick rebound. The f is what's causing srk to come out.

SmokeMaxX

narcosis219 said:
Negative edge probably.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
FindMyFarms said:

He's an elitist. I'll leave it at that.

Randall! Let's play some Gears!

SmokeMaxX said:
Cody b-mp
Sakura/Guile/Boxer/Ryu/Akuma/etc. cr. hp
The list goes on.

These are moves that are very easy and very strong anti-airs that work in a very large amount of scenarios. They also consist of one button and one direction.

I'm ok with those, at least you can find way around them and they get blown up by dive kicks. Lariat on the other hand will beat you or trade just about every time unless you bait it on wake up. Most decent Giefs are good a doing crouch lariat so they're not exposing the head and not every character has a jumping attack with a downward hit box. I don't mean to complain, just pointing out that it's not easy or almost impossible for most of the cast to actually attempt to jump at Zangief.

cHaotix8

Rice-Eater said:
I'm ok with those, at least you can find way around them and they get blown up by dive kicks. Lariat on the other hand will beat you or trade just about every time unless you bait it on wake up. Most decent Giefs are good a doing crouch lariat so they're not exposing the lead and not every character has a jumping attack with a downward hit box. I don't mean to complain, just pointing out that it's not easy or almost impossible for most of the cast to actually attempt to jump at Zangief.

But you're not supposed to. That's the thing. :p

cHaotix8 said:
But you're not supposed to. That's the thing. :p

Yeah yeah, I know. But if any scrubby Gief wants to play my scrubby Evil Ryu with a condition, I'm all for it. I won't DP and you guys don't do lariat. If you hate chasing opponents, you won't have that problem with me if we play under that condition lol

Professor Beef said:
At least it's not Vanilla lariat anymore, right?

EDIT: Getting ready to play on a stream soon, and boy are there a lot of red bars. :(

http://www.twitch.tv/xxupyourgamexx

This is like the story of PSN SF4 :(

Ugh, I hate Akuma's teleport.
Rice-Eater said:
This is like the story of PSN SF4 :(
To be fair, there are normally a lot of green and sometimes yellow bars in the lobby. Today just seems to be a bad day in more ways than one.

Just watched a Evil Ryu player on the UYG stream, my thoughts.

Every time I watch a high PP Evil Ryu, I'm constantly disappointed by what they're doing. Not utilizing dive kick on wake up, or doing it wrong. Not attempting any kind of mix up, ER doesn't have great mix up but he has some. Basically they're just playing Evil Ryu like Ryu, solid zoning and footsies. I'd say most of these guys are undoubtedly better then me in that department, but the only reason I can maintain a similar PP with them or play competitively against other players like they can is because I've taken the time to explore what the character can do outside of the basic stuff that I'm not seeing it from these guys.

Rice-Eater said:
If you hate chasing opponents, you won't have that problem with me if we play under that condition lol

I love the chase!!

Rice-Eater said:
I'm ok with those, at least you can find way around them and they get blown up by dive kicks. Lariat on the other hand will beat you or trade just about every time unless you bait it on wake up. Most decent Giefs are good a doing crouch lariat so they're not exposing the head and not every character has a jumping attack with a downward hit box. I don't mean to complain, just pointing out that it's not easy or almost impossible for most of the cast to actually attempt to jump at Zangief.

I don't know all of giefs matchups, but I can tell you that his lariat loses to a shit load of dive kicks clean. When I played super, jump forward -> ex dive kick with cammy usually meant free combo since all giefs like to try to lariat it. With akuma, dive kick off demon flip beats it clean too, usually gief has to do a jump jab to stop it quick. I think he CAN lariat those moves, but if he does he has to change up his timing that he usually uses for every other jumpin, meaning he runs teh risk of getting hit by a phat combo if he guessed wrong.

Rice-Eater said:
Just watched a Evil Ryu player on the UYG stream, my thoughts.

Every time I watch a high PP Evil Ryu, I'm constantly disappointed by what they're doing. Not utilizing dive kick on wake up, or doing it wrong. Not attempting any kind of mix up, ER doesn't have great mix up but he has some. Basically they're just playing Evil Ryu like Ryu, solid zoning and footsies. I'd say most of these guys are undoubtedly better then me in that department, but the only reason I can maintain a similar PP with them or play competitively against other players like they can is because I've taken the time to explore what the character can do outside of the basic stuff that I'm not seeing it from these guys.
You should join and show them what's what.

Professor Beef said:
You should join and show them what's what.

Maybe I'll join. I didn't mean to make it seem like I'm better then thy are, just wanted to say they're limiting there potential by only him that way. But if it wasn't for that fact that you were playing on that stream, you should have timed out that Oni.

Rice-Eater said:
But if it wasn't for that fact that you were playing on that stream, you should have timed out that Oni.
The thought crossed my mind.
KuGsj.gif

Edit: The room is full currently, but if I see an open spot I'll mention it here.

EDIT 2: As I type this, there are 2 open spots.

Professor Beef said:
Jesus Christ, Rice Eater. You demolished that guy.

EDIT: Fuck our match was laggy. Still, ggs.

If you mean the Evil Ryu, he got me in the laggy rematch. Well both matches were laggy, but the 2nd one was even worse. In the end I loss because I wasn't within range to FADC my EX DP like I thought I was. I said I would go, but I guess I might stick around a little longer. But I hope he can pick up some of the things I was doing, I'm sure it must have confused the hell out of him as he nor any other Evil Ryu are doing it.

Rice-Eater said:
If you mean the Evil Ryu, he got me in the laggy rematch. Well both matches were laggy, but the 2nd one was even worse. In the end I loss because I wasn't within range to FADC my EX DP like I thought I was. I said I would go, but I guess I might stick around a little longer. But I hope he can pick up some of the things I was doing, I'm sure it must have confused the hell out of him as he nor any other Evil Ryu are doing it.
Yeah, I saw that final DP miss and I knew it was over. I felt so bad, but it was still good.

I left because dinner is ready, but I also sent you a friend request. Once again, GGs.

Measley

I'm looking to get this game by the end of the month for 360. How's the community? Is this game still going strong online?

Professor Beef said:
Yeah, I saw that final DP miss and I knew it was over. I felt so bad, but it was still good.

I left because dinner is ready, but I also sent you a friend request. Once again, GGs.

Yeah I accepted, gg. Lag kind of sucks, but just good enough to be playable. You live in Sacramento, CA right? My GF actually goes to school there.

Measley said:
I'm looking to get this game by the end of the month for 360. How's the community? Is this game still going strong online?

I have all 3 versions and am somewhat active on all 3. The 360 community is easily the strongest, more players and skill level is a little higher IMO. Plus you're more likely to run into known players there then on the other platforms if that matters to you.

Kimosabae

Banned
I've been playing this series online for about a year and a 1/2 now, and I just figured out how to get my headset working properly...

I came... I saw... and I derped.

Get at me.

LOL, just played named Ben_Ken1212, he has a 3600+ PP Yun. I win the first round easily, he wins the 2nd, he often caught me trying to throw him after a blocked dive kick. In the 3rd round I play desperate and mash DP a couple of times. The last time I did it, I did a EX DP, FADC, Ultra which would have killed him. But before it does, he quits on me. Oh wellz, I think I should call it a night and end it on a high note lol.

Satyamdas

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:
Sakura's fireball and wake up is garbage. She needs it. Ken has his because it's part of his derp.
Her regular air tatsu is already stupid good with priority and hitbox, she doesn't need to be able to fly across the whole screen too. Ken doesn't either.

Top Bottom