• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

ARXIN said:
New Dev Blog

3218290b7dfaf3cff143c9dc59be09c5.jpg

I like that alt costume thing. Something I actually wanted included.
I wanted the code to unlock Indestructible.

USD

Was watching the newest (pre-recorded) Cross Counter, and Gootecks's "Imma fuck 'im u-- j/k lol" moment was hilarious.

immafuckimuploljkmrqs.gif

Izuna

Banned
Why I love Ibuki

I really wish they adjusted the start-up on the Orbs for this move, since it'll be a good anti-air in 2012 (it kind of already is, but you only get a crappy untechable knockdown with just a couple of hits).

Imm0rt4l

FindMyFarms said:
I'm guilty as charged for mashing. I'm a little uncomfortable dealing with pressure as dan, so kept resorting to scrubby shit lol.
Hey all the big kids do it, I wish I had a char that could mash effectively, that shit is strong in this game.
Joekage said:
those buttons...so tempting to press them....cant stop...won't stop...

I wish I could find that farmpressingbuttons meme pic

Imm0rt4l

DryEyeRelief said:
any regrets?
I picked up dudley because he seems like a good rushdown character and can really give gouken trouble up close. I was hoping that he would be a good counter for my bad matchups, I was wrong though, Dudley might be good against a character like gouken, but he's got a lot of shortcomings and shares some of the same bad matchups. In the end I was stuck with a character that I enjoy playing/watching, but a character who does me no real good in matchups. He doesn't compliment my other character much really. I regret choosing a secondary character that I thought seemed cool rather than choosing a secondary that was at least b-tier and can compliment gouken, and pick up the slack.

GunbladeV

Banned
Dudley is a joy to watch and play if you get over the midtierness. The thing that makes him so exciting is pretty much his downfall, the high low mixup. Characters with invincible reversals and good backdashes will make you rage but if you guess right the reward is very sweet.

The nice thing is the general online population has no idea how to fight dudley so you can surprise a lot of folks.

Edgeward

Been away from SF and fighting games in general for so long, I'm sure I even worse than before now. But I want to get back to playing again so bad, need my fix soon.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Edgeward said:
Been away from SF and fighting games in general for so long, I'm sure I even worse than before now. But I want to get back to playing again so bad, need my fix soon.

same here. finally got a few days to play recently. Cody is so sick in this game, shame he gets shut down so hard by the twins, hopefully this will change in 2012.

Edgeward

Ha Ha! So weird, I've been picking up/learning Cody too. Lots of fun until you get rushdowned and have to pray for your life on wake-up D. ;_;

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anybody heard anything about how Gregory did at Devastation?

Anybody up for some games later tonight?

Trying to get Fishstix to hook me up with quality controls. :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No different from here. o_0

Any of you guys using an Android phone to watch streams? Any good apps to watch them?

Anyone else watch Julies show? It's from MLG where they talk about games. On the first episode they have the director of Arcade on there. They talked about the dying arcade scene in NY, and it goes into NY's fighting game scene. Spotted almost everyone aside from Spooky and Art.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/77385-julie-s-show

First part is about Halo. Second part is of the documentary Arcade. Skip to 17:15 for the fighting game part.

El Sloth

Banned
kissenger said:
Capcom is ruining this game with their "balance" changes. Everytime anyone figures out how to do something cool with a character, Capcom says they're OP and they need to be nerfed. No one should ever be nerfed unless it's something ridiculous (e.g. an unblockable infinite). They should just boost the lower tiers until they are competitive.
Yeah man, Yun and Yang were just fin-
jlai said:
Never mind.

MIMIC

Banned
I hate it when you destroy one of your bad match-ups, and then for the rest of the matches, it's back to the status quo ;_;

I went back to watch some old Vanilla matches. I watched Sanford's Cammy and Combofiend's Cammy when he pulled it out against Justin. At one point Justin mirror matches him and even won 1 match. But what really boggles my mind is that none of the 3 were doing the so called Sako combos. All I kept seeing was dive kick, low forward, cannon drill. And when they got dizzies or crumples, it was just FA, st. fierce, drill. Really, did it take Sako to show everybody that these combos existed or was it just that nobody was confident in doing these combos until we saw Sako attempting it every chance he got and landing it a high majority of the time.

LakeEarth

This is why fighting games evolve years and years after its release. The higher players don't scour frame data and invent new combos. They wait for others to figure it out, then copy it if it's worthwhile.

Nyoro SF

Rice-Eater said:
I went back to watch some old Vanilla matches. I watched Sanford's Cammy and Combofiend's Cammy when he pulled it out against Justin. At one point Justin mirror matches him and even won 1 match. But what really boggles my mind is that none of the 3 were doing the so called Sako combos. All I kept seeing was dive kick, low forward, cannon drill. And when they got dizzies or crumples, it was just FA, st. fierce, drill. Really, did it take Sako to show everybody that these combos existed or was it just that nobody was confident in doing these combos until we saw Sako attempting it every chance he got and landing it a high majority of the time.

That's how all fighting games are. Just take a look back at the initial tournament footage for any reasonably complex fighting game.

Most people will rely on the base strategies for characters until they have a reason to take it to the next level. Or if they discover another character who can do the same thing but better, lol.

Rice-Eater said:

Back then Sanford and Combo didn't really "main" Cammy, mostly as a counter-pick. Sako was going in hard with Cammy. I think US players can get a bit caught too caught up with countering and tier lists.

LakeEarth said:
This is why fighting games evolve years and years after its release. The higher players don't scour frame data and invent new combos. They wait for others to figure it out, then copy it if it's worthwhile.

well...this is wrong...but the base data is accurate i guess.

usually when the game is new people figure shit out as solid shit is found out they start getting lazy and/or people jumping on the bandwagon and they only use what they have seen work.

Usually the better players with a character will come up with things at next level alot of machines are in training mode when there arent many people there. either they are just doing shit or trying out a setup and getting input from other players/people around them this is why its hard to get good alone.

Kimosabae

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I never get sick of watching that.

See, I have no problem with that in-and-of-itself. If you're the Yun player, that comeback was clutch and fun to execute. Powerful shit in fighting games is fun. Problem is; no other character can do something similar.

But as much I continue see the comment "Just buff the lower tiers": I don't think those people truly want that. A full roster having powerful tools and combos is more Guilty Gear-ish, and I don't the SF crowd really wants that.

Kimosabae said:
See, I have no problem with that in-and-of-itself. If you're the Yun player, that comeback was clutch and fun to execute. Powerful shit in fighting games is fun. Problem is; no other character can do something similar.

But as much I continue see the comment "Just buff the lower tiers": I don't think those people truly want that. A full roster having powerful tools and combos is more Guilty Gear-ish, and I don't the SF crowd really wants that.

nah, they want flashy stupid stuff. that's why people were rooting for combofiend's abel against champ's dhalsim yesterday even though that's obviously a bullshit matchup.

Well I figure it should take time to learn set ups, but combos, shouldn't everybody have those figured out in a pretty short time? These combos weren't special requirement combos by any means, they're now considered BnB's for her. Which is why I'm surprised we weren't seeing them being used till Super. Really, what were Cammy players doing all of 2009? This is like Akuma players still not knowing or doing the RH loop(which probably would have prevented it from being removed in Super) or Ryu players not knowing or doing the forward fierce crouch fierce link.

Kadey said:

Any of you guys using an Android phone to watch streams? Any good apps to watch them?
When you find one let us know, I dont think there is any, I am just trying to be a stream monster on the go.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Kadey said:

Justin/Twitch haven't put a viewer in their Android app so that you can view streams, a feature that's been in iOS for a while now. People have been asking for a year now and still nothing. Ustream has a stream viewer in theirs, fwiw.

Kimosabae

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
nah, they want flashy stupid stuff. that's why people were rooting for combofiend's abel against champ's dhalsim yesterday even though that's obviously a bullshit matchup.

I'm pretty sure people just profess to plain like Combofiend more than F. Champ.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Kimosabae said:
I'm pretty sure people just profess to plain like Combofiend more than F. Champ.

Yep, unless it's like Noel Brown playing against Champ, there will always be more people rooting against Champ rather than for him.

Kimosabae said:

There are other instances, like Chris Hu counterpicking Adnan. Looking at another character, all the Tokido montages online are of him just performing the vortex.

It makes me scratch my head why Viper crossed the line of tolerance.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
Well I figure it should take time to learn set ups, but combos, shouldn't everybody have those figured out in a pretty short time? These combos weren't special requirement combos by any means, they're now considered BnB's for her. Which is why I'm surprised we weren't seeing them being used till Super. Really, what were Cammy players doing all of 2009? This is like Akuma players still not knowing or doing the RH loop(which probably would have prevented it from being removed in Super) or Ryu players not knowing or doing the forward fierce crouch fierce link.
Characters get slept on.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:

HEY!!!

You really think that's a b'n'b?

Timedog said:
HEY!!!

You really think that's a b'n'b?

No, it's definitely not a bnb for Ryu. Those Cammy links are though, and they're also her most damaging combos(except the 1 frame st. MP cr. HP link). That's what I meant by the comparison.

Regarding the Rice Eater discussion:

Cammy wasn't Sanford's or Combofiend's mains. They were just alternate characters they used.

It's like when Justin used Fei Long. His Fei Long wasn't in the same category of Inthul's and later Mago's who specialized with the character.

Besides James Chen, lol, who was using Cammy? Sako came along and wham bam we finally got to start seeing what the character could do. And since most hadn't played against Cammy (though Justin played against Chen's and also used her), people were completely overwhelmed and it took a little while to become accustomed to the matchup.

This is why I'm a little surprised about all of the herp derp Viper comments. Besides Flash, and eventually Wolfkrone came along, there wasn't a real Viper army in the U.S. All the bellyaching about the character (which some of it is legitimate) is more from not playing legitimately good Vipers (besides Krone, Latif, Marn, Flash and that one kid from Cali).

Kimosabae

Banned
I still don't see a Viper army.

DryEyeRelief said:
There are other instances, like Chris Hu counterpicking Adnan. Looking at another character, all the Tokido montages online are of him just performing the vortex.

It makes me scratch my head why Viper crossed the line of tolerance.

I don't necessarily think you're wrong, but your examples don't refute my point at all. It's probably a combination of things.

The Viper whining is a head scratcher to me too. Brings out the scrub in so many people.

Top Bottom