• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

KidA Seven said:

Evo this year had more entrants than last year in SSFIV.

As Rice mentioned, SFIV revived/resurgence the fg community (Not to say we didn't have VF4, VF5, KOF, Tekken, SC, DOA, etc). Without SFIV, we wouldn't have MVC3. Capcom was out of the game for 8 years (except for the announcement of the dreaded HD Remix and terrible CFE).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
El stupido.

Has the most entrants of any game by far in tournies.
Still one of the most played games online. More than any fighting game by a huge margin.
There are dozens upon dozens of AE streams. Just look at the related channels in JTV.

DryEyeRelief said:
no it didn't

Yes this is true, No official numbers but last year it was 1600-1700 for Super and 1400-1500 for AE this year. I'm sure Marvel had a lot to do with that as many former SF4 players switched over the Marvel exclusively. From just looking at my own community, we have several players that stopped playing SF4 altogether for Marvel and haven't gone back. But still, SF4 is without a doubt the #1 game, not only world wide but in the US as well. It beat Marvel 3 quite easily at EVO when it came to entrances(Marvel had a little over 1000) and regularly beats Marvel 3 week in and week out a locals and majors.

Well then I'm corrected on the entrants between this year and last year. But we'll never know.

It still remains that SF is still the most popular game at tournaments, garnering the most entrants. I'm not taking away anything from MVC3, but it hasn't lit the world on fire as much SFIV.

Marvel fans just live in an alternate reality where their scrub game is relevant and popular.

Street Fighter is and always will be the meat and potatoes of fighting games.

Marvel isn't even a condiment on the dinner table.

Satyamdas

Banned
Either way, Kimo's point about how "the US doesn't care for this game any more" is nonsensical. AE left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, but it is still played a shit ton and still has the most entrants at US tourneys. How this translates into the US "not caring" about it is beyond me.

FindMyFarms said:
Marvel's main problem is it's just not as international. SF4 having players all over the world makes the large tourneys hype as fuck.

That's actually a really good point, one that I've also made myself several times. We're in a new age with sponsors, streams, and a much more international community whether they're watching or traveling to compete. Besides being the one that revived the community, it's the pinnacle of this new age. Marvel is hype, but it is still and may always remain just a game for the US audience. I know Americans are prideful of that, but that's what holds the game back from being much bigger.

New Canada Cup trailer, this one focuses on the AE International 5v5. So far 5 countries and 1 continent is confirmed with 2 mystery teams. In the threat at SRK, a 2nd Euro team and a Dutch team is listed, but who knows what the final roster will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxxcxArgSc&feature=channel_video_title

Of those 8, 3 are full or nearly full and the US and Canada should be able to put a team together pretty easily. But the 3 European teams on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Outside of EVO, we hardly see any Euro's travel to the US. So it will be interesting if they can actually fill out those last 3 teams.

Rice-Eater said:
That's actually a really good point, one that I've also made myself several times. We're in a new age with sponsors, streams, and a much more international community whether they're watching or traveling to compete. Besides being the one that revived the community, it's the pinnacle of this new age. Marvel is hype, but it is still and may always remain just a game for the US audience. I know Americans are prideful of that, but that's what holds the game back from being much bigger.

It's funny seeing you post this, since I remember you frequently being worried about marvel taking sf4's spotlight on stream. Checking the differences of entrants for both games at winter brawl even if the difference was only a few people.

Both games are active, which is what's important. Everything else is a pissing contest.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
Yes this is true, No official numbers but last year it was 1600-1700 for Super and 1400-1500 for AE this year. I'm sure Marvel had a lot to do with that as many former SF4 players switched over the Marvel exclusively. From just looking at my own community, we have several players that stopped playing SF4 altogether for Marvel and haven't gone back. But still, SF4 is without a doubt the #1 game, not only world wide but in the US as well. It beat Marvel 3 quite easily at EVO when it came to entrances(Marvel had a little over 1000) and regularly beats Marvel 3 week in and week out a locals and majors.
Does this mean I shall remain undefeated against a certain person? :D

DryEyeRelief said:
It's funny seeing you post this, since I remember you frequently being worried about marvel taking sf4's spotlight on stream. Checking the differences of entrants for both games at winter brawl even if the difference was only a few people.

Both games are active, which is what's important. Everything else is a pissing contest.

It did, for a while Marvel was on like 80% of the time during every stream. It's understandable since it was the new hotness. As a stream monster myself, I wasn't enjoying it so I vented about it.

Hitokage said:
Does this mean I shall remain undefeated against a certain person? :D

Probably yes, I don't think he has entered a single SF4 tournament since Marvel came out. He still beats me most of the time when we played during casuals despite never playing the game anymore :(

Kimosabae

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:

Pretty much, which is why I'm surprised the discussion took this turn. In no way was I trying to imply Marvel is more popular competitively. I just feel like that's where many bilateral player's competitive focus is right now; because AE is essentially a lame-duck game. Those same players still compete (read: Justin, Noel, Marn, Combo etc.) in AE tournaments, majors are still hype with names, but US players aren't as focused at staying sharp at AE as they are at Marvel, largely because it's newer and it's hype even at locals (which is also a lameduck game). I also don't feel the level play is as high as it was in the US throughout 09' and last year due to this lack of focus.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
Probably yes, I don't think he has entered a single SF4 tournament since Marvel came out. He still beats me most of the time when we played during casuals despite never playing the game anymore :(
Haha, well, until Megaman X joins the Marvel crew I'm probably not going to ever play it that much.

Are you coming to Charlotte this weekend?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:
New Canada Cup trailer, this one focuses on the AE International 5v5. So far 5 countries and 1 continent is confirmed with 2 mystery teams. In the threat at SRK, a 2nd Euro team and a Dutch team is listed, but who knows what the final roster will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxxcxArgSc&feature=channel_video_title

Of those 8, 3 are full or nearly full and the US and Canada should be able to put a team together pretty easily. But the 3 European teams on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Outside of EVO, we hardly see any Euro's travel to the US. So it will be interesting if they can actually fill out those last 3 teams.

Wait a sec, wait a minute, does Korea have a player called White Dong?

Imm0rt4l

biosnake20 said:
I really hope ae2012 is out by then. That would make this event even more hype.
I don't think its hitting consoles till next year, though I would love to be wrong as I'm tired of AE.

eissan

Imm0rt4l said:
I don't think its hitting consoles till next year, though I would love to be wrong as I'm tired of AE.

I was at the panel at EVO where ono said it would be released Q4 THIS year...did the fucking troll change his mind again?!?!?!?

Imm0rt4l

eissan said:
I was at the panel at EVO where ono said it would be released Q4 THIS year...did the fucking troll change his mind again?!?!?!?
Did he really say Q4 this year? Q4 does extend into next year.

Imm0rt4l said:
Im pretty sure he said by winter, which could go into next year. But I really hope its this year, 2012 would make events like canada cup and socal regionals so much more hype. But this is ono were talking about so...

biosnake20 said:
Im pretty sure he said by winter, which could go into next year. But I really hope its this year, 2012 would make events like canada cup and socal regionals so much more hype. But this is ono were talking about so...

Why would having the new version right before major tournaments make it more hype? You end up with a tournament like Revelations where everyone is still playing like it's the previous one.

eissan

Imm0rt4l said:

i believe the video of the panel is on youtube, I'll check when I get home but I am 95% sure he said Q4 in which case it would mean between october 1st to december 31st(every 3 month = 1Q fyi :) ).

I bet it was a troll move though to appease the fans after the fuckup that was AE.

Imm0rt4l

eissan said:
i believe the video of the panel is on youtube, I'll check when I get home but I am 95% sure he said Q4 in which case it would mean between october 1st to december 31st(every 3 month = 1Q fyi :) ).

I bet it was a troll move though to appease the fans after the fuckup that was AE.
Right, assuming he's referring to calendar year. I'm thinking capcom fiscal 4th quarter, which begins early 2012. Again, I would love to be wrong. Till then I'm playing less sf and gonna give the games dropping this Fall games more burn.

DryEyeRelief said:
Why would having the new version right before major tournaments make it more hype? You end up with a tournament like Revelations where everyone is still playing like it's the previous one.
First off, im not talking right before like revelations, more like 2-3 weeks before Canada cup. Also it will be different because there will be no new characters and if the patch is released at the same time on arcades and consoles, we'll all be on equal ground. Also revelations was more hype cause it was AE instead of super. Yeah sure people were playing it like super in some cases, but it was alot more fun to watch than super would have been.

broz0rs

Cross Counter Interview Series #03: Kim1234 is back baby!

Probably one of the realest interviews on the FGC.

Highlights:

- Kim's moving back to the US in March 2012. He needs a job asap by the time he lands.
- Easiest way for a foreigner to live in Japan is be an English teacher. Kim teaches kindergarten. lol
- AE is a great game. It's just people who mained defensive characters got the shaft since AE is offense based.
- Daigo gets put on blast for being too introverted.
- Foreign players need to be hype like Poongko. Most hype Japanese players are Kyabetsu and Kindevu.
- Don't treat Japanese players like Gods because they wait in line at the arcade like everybody else.
- People who say Fei is OP don't know what they are saying. There's only three good Fei's in Japan and their skills make him look top tier. Every other Fei player sucks.

biosnake20 said:
First off, im not talking right before like revelations, more like 2-3 weeks before Canada cup. Also it will be different because there will be no new characters and if the patch is released at the same time on arcades and consoles, we'll all be on equal ground. Also revelations was more hype cause it was AE instead of super. Yeah sure people were playing it like super in some cases, but it was alot more fun to watch than super would have been.

They're adding new characters. There's this one named Hakan.

broz0rs said:
Cross Counter Interview Series #03: Kim1234 is back baby!

Probably one of the realest interviews on the FGC.

Highlights:

- Kim's moving back to the US in March 2012. He needs a job asap by the time he lands.
- Easiest way for a foreigner to live in Japan is be an English teacher. Kim teaches kindergarten. lol
- AE is a great game. It's just people who mained defensive characters got the shaft since AE is offense based.
- Daigo gets put on blast for being too introverted.
- Foreign players need to be hype like Poongko. Most hype Japanese players are Kyabetsu and Kindevu.
- Don't treat Japanese players like Gods because they wait in line at the arcade like everybody else.
- People who say Fei is OP don't know what they are saying. There's only three good Fei's in Japan and their skills make him look top tier. Every other Fei player sucks.

LOL he's part sagat part pho.

Also thank you kim for affirming that the japanese prefer american format/evo over japanese/sbo.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So he has a Korean/Japanese name but he is Vietnamese and Thai. And he's pretty cute. Humanbomb has dropped a tier.

Seheroff and Jaelie will play their final ranbat match on my stream. Starts in 2 hours or so. I'm going to mess around with things in the mean time. Will probably be in training mode in the minutes leading up to it.

Top Bottom