• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

bigmit3737 said:
Is there a list of international players coming to SB?

Thanks.

No official list, but I know these guys are confirmed

Poongko
Laugh
Infiltration
Mago
Tokido
Uryo
Momochi

Doesn't matter which of these 5 gets put on Team World, that team is going to be very stacked.

MIMIC

Banned
Didn't know people had actual disdain for links. The only links I try in the game are with Guile (my old main) and I rarely pull off the entire combos that I attempt. But I guess it's just a matter of practice and polishing one's timing. Or plinking :)

USD

Next Friday (October 21) is the GODSGARDEN X CAPCOM East-West Online War. It's a 5v5, but it uses a unique rule system. Naturally GODSGARDEN will be streaming.

Main and sub characters listed.

East Army
Coach: Soushihan KSK

Kazunoko (Yun/Yang)
Fuudo (Fei Long/Ryu)
Itabashi Zangief (Zangief/T.Hawk)
Nekojita (Abel/Dan)
Kyabetsu (C.Viper/Makoto)
??? (Joker)

West Army
Coach: Umezono

Haitani (Makoto/T.Hawk)
RF (Sagat/Fei Long)
Uryo (Sakura/C.Viper)
6 (Akuma/Cammy)
sako (Ibuki/Yang)
??? (Joker)

Hitokage said:
One frame links exist in Blazblue. It also has combos that don't have clear timing cues after a longer gap in input than you'd have in SF4.

Any game with frame advantage is going to have links of some sort. The difference is how extensive and important other combo options are.
Doesn't Blazbue's input buffer system effectively make the smallest link in the game 5 frames, not 1?

I know MvC3 has one-framers.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lost Fragment:

Leguna said:
So that's how he's doing it!!!!! He's plinking!!!!! How was i suppose to know that the easiest way to do the combo was through P-linking?????? The game doesn't mention anything about it!!!! The game only tells you: crouch, MP, MP, FK. It doesn't mention anything about timing or plinking. That has got to be the dumbest thing in fighting game history. But still, I have to give Lost Fragment credit for having pulled it off, even with plinking, 10 times in a row. As soon as I started plinking, I was doing it 50% of the time, up from 5%.

I concede.
However, I still think its very poor design.

Lyte Edge, please tell Lost Fragment that Leguna thanks him for taking the time to make video, that was very nice of him. TELL HIM I SAID THAT!!!!

Were you plinking when you made that vid?

Rice-Eater said:
No official list, but I know these guys are confirmed

Poongko
Laugh
Infiltration
Mago
Tokido
Uryo
Momochi

Doesn't matter which of these 5 gets put on Team World, that team is going to be very stacked.

More like either way the team is going to roll all over the USA team. Wolfkrone has made some really questionable selections in his team, an obvious sign of his inexperience and how poor of a choice it is to make him captain.

TGMIII

Satyamdas said:
You can clearly hear him plinking in the vid. o_O

You can clearly SEE him plinking in the vid, he even fucks it up a few times. Why was so much time spent making an obviously horrible player happy?

USD

scytheavatar said:
Most like either way the team is going to roll all over the USA team. Wolfkrone has made some really questionable selections in his team, an obvious sign of his inexperience and how poor of a choice it is to make him captain.
Huh? The two best Rufuses, best Balrog, best Guile, and Krone himself aren't good enough? I'd love to know where he's straying wrong.

Kioshen

awwyeahgurrl said:
You can clearly SEE him plinking in the vid, he even fucks it up a few times. Why was so much time spent making an obviously horrible player happy?

Because he's a troll that likes to tell that Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm is the best fighting game EVAR because you can mash attack with impunity and has no barrier to entry. If he played mahvel I think he'd really like Ammy.

@Yerff

If you'd like that well have a look at SFxT because it's all there is to it. Chains chains chains with a tag mechanic to make things safe instead of fadc.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
awwyeahgurrl said:

You have to go back and look at the history.

I don't usually self-promote, but I wanted to let you guys know part one of a feature has just gone up from me where I chat to one of the guys behind the Super VS Battle, the UK's largest tourney. If you're into the tourney scene pleae do check it out! I didn't compete - nowhere near good enough - but I played a lot of casual matches there and had a blast. Great people, amazing community. Want to try to hit Evo next year.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/13/inside-the-uk’s-largest-fighting-game-tournament-–-part-one/

TGMIII

APZonerunner said:
I don't usually self-promote, but I wanted to let you guys know part one of a feature has just gone up from me where I chat to one of the guys behind the Super VS Battle, the UK's largest tourney. If you're into the tourney scene pleae do check it out! I didn't compete - nowhere near good enough - but I played a lot of casual matches there and had a blast. Great people, amazing community. Want to try to hit Evo next year.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/13/inside-the-uk’s-largest-fighting-game-tournament-–-part-one/

Community wise SvB CAN be great but on the tournament side of things they're a mess. Pretty much every year most games are delayed or funny stuff happens with the groups/brackets.

First year I went they were 6 hours late (note that it's a single elimination tournament) with SF4 groups then had the cheek to tell people that if they needed to go since it was so late that they needed to leave within the next 15 minutes to catch a train and that they "wouldn't advice using the night buses", I think a few people pushed for refunds and managed to get them but some didn't for sure. There were also 1/2 people who knew guys running the groups getting into games for free and even looking at the groups and picking which one they wanted. They went into meltdown mode on their forums after that banning anyone who dared to make a complaint, they at least admitted that they fucked up in some areas but no one was allowed to express their feelings about the event.

I appreciate what the dragons do for the UK scene and how hard it is for them to generate hardware and staff but jesus christ do they need to step their shit up, I personally know players from all over europe who say they'll never go back due to how poorly things can be run.

Axis

Satyamdas said:
And if they make a new Darkstalkers, that is yet another easy mode combo fest!

play bishamon or bulleta then :)

also i like links...satisfying to hit and i like the practice

cackhyena

Kioshen said:
Because he's a troll that likes to tell that Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm is the best fighting game EVAR because you can mash attack with impunity and has no barrier to entry. If he played mahvel I think he'd really like Ammy.

@Yerff

If you'd like that well have a look at SFxT because it's all there is to it. Chains chains chains with a tag mechanic to make things safe instead of fadc.
It actually might be the very reason I'm a bit turned off by SF X T, Kio. I don't think I have a problem with them, actually.

Maybe it would be fun, but I'm wondering how much room for growth there is compared to SF4.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
_dementia said:
Doesn't Blazbue's input buffer system effectively make the smallest link in the game 5 frames, not 1?
I remember a GG vet mentioning one in particular for Ragna although I forget what he said at the time. From some googling it seems to be 22C(+9) dash(1f) 5B(8f) in CS1. You can't buffer the dash, only hold forward for auto-plink, and you can't hit B too early or hold forward too late or you get 6B.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's not really an input buffer system to begin with. You can't just hit the button in a given window and it'll come out on the next available frame. You have to hold down the button and it'll repeat the input for five frames.

cackhyena

I guess I'm falling on the side of wanting these links, then. Rewards for doing that shit under pressure. You'll probably get it your way with the next SF anyway.

rivals

Hitokage said:
It wasn't put there. It's a by-product of how the game reads input.

This. I believe Seth (not positive though) said that it's a by-product of them making ex inputs more lenient.

Kimosabae

Banned
I like having both links and cancels in a fighter. I think having to link standard normals is silly, though. Philosophically, it almost seems like they didn't want the combo system to be too liberal, but they wanted it to have some kind of execution requirement, so they made normal combos link-heavy.

Ideally, I like to have normals chainable/cancellable, and link combos consisting of some combination of standard normals, special normals, specials and Supers/Hypers/etc. a la 3s, Guilty Gear, Alpha series etc. That way, fundamental BnBs are discovered quickly and are easier to execute, but more flexible/interesting/damaging combos can be discovered down the road.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
rivals said:
This. I believe Seth (not positive though) said that it's a by-product of them making ex inputs more lenient.
Yeah, in SF4 you don't have to hit two buttons on the exact same frame for it to register as a simultaneous press. However, combine this with how the game reads simultaneous presses in situations where only one button can do something and you can construct situations where you end up repeating a button input on the next frame. Hence, plinking.

Satyamdas

Banned
Axis said:
play bishamon or bulleta then :)

also i like links...satisfying to hit and i like the practice
Uhhh, Bishamon and Bulleta still have chains, son. :)

Also, the bitching about links and plinking is so fucking ridiculous. SF4 has more than it's share of dumb shit but links and plinking is so far down the list it's a nonfactor. QQ moar.

Kioshen

jlai said:
You're just handicapping yourself in my opinion

Pretty much this. Might as well use a controller instead of a stick then. Using Plinking for 1 frame links, double tapping for 2 framies, pianoing for hands/legs and so on is what makes using a stick the right tool for the job.

AkumaHokoru said:
as an alpha 2 player thats a hilariously easy combo the entire time i've played this game I've done my links raw.

To be fair though...alpha 2 80% cc's are also hilariously easy. Most characters in that game don't really need links though since you can special cancel chained normals. It's not like that game has a high execution requirement (which is a GOOD thing.)

Threi

notag
_dementia said:
What's so bad about plinking? Is it an honor thing for you?
Somewhat. Plinking and option selects are just...wrong. You should be rewarded (having the link connect) for getting the strict timing down, and in terms of option selects you should have to guess properly, not make the game cover your bases. If you choose to do something you should face the consequences if you choose wrong.

So yeah i'm handicapping myself, that's fine. I don't think utilizing these techniques is the right way to play. It's like aim assist. It's accessible to everyone but I don't want to use it.

It's optional, and i choose the option not to use it. I'd rather make guesses and react accordingly on the person's playstyle. If i guess wrong 90% of the time it's fine, i'd rather have it that way. If I miss my links because I don't plink, thats fine too. Just means i need to get my timing better.

Threi said:
Somewhat. Plinking and option selects are just...wrong. You should be rewarded (having the link connect) for getting the strict timing down, and in terms of option selects you should have to guess properly, not make the game cover your bases. If you choose to do something you should face the consequences if you choose wrong.

So yeah i'm handicapping myself, that's fine. I don't think utilizing these techniques is the right way to play. It's like aim assist. It's accessible to everyone but I don't want to use it.

It's optional, and i choose the option not to use it. I'd rather make guesses and react accordingly on the person's playstyle. If i guess wrong 90% of the time it's fine, i'd rather have it that way. If I miss my links because I don't plink, thats fine too. Just means i need to get my timing better.
So you dont crouch tech?

FindMyFarms said:
To be fair though...alpha 2 80% cc's are also hilariously easy. Most characters in that game don't really need links though since you can special cancel chained normals. It's not like that game has a high execution requirement (which is a GOOD thing.)
on a basic level sure. the meaty non CC bnb damage comes from links.

Imm0rt4l

Threi said:

I gotta co-sign this. I hate the idea of option selects even if they're an inevitable mechanic within some fighting games.

Top Bottom