• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I hate the idea of all of that stuff, but I'm starting to use it a little more. I feel fine hating it, but still using it because lot of other people are. I just chalk it up to bad game design.

Other people seem to, instead of recognizing that it's bad game design, just give the excuse "well that's how the game is played", which irks me. They can't separate gameplay style shifting to account for bad game design, from actual depth within the game causing nuances to be found and exploited.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Take away shortcuts and all that crap and SFIV would be near perfect except for character balancing.

Doing stuff the legit way is rewarding. Top players are use to it but when I manage to land a strict combo, it's a natural high.

♥ him.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kadey said:
Take away shortcuts and all that crap and SFIV would be near perfect except for character balancing.

Doing stuff the legit way is rewarding. Top players are use to it but when I manage to land a strict combo, it's a natural high.

♥ him.

I agree mostly. I think 5 frame reversals really fucks things up. 1f is dumb too though. Should be 2-3f all the way.

wait a sec, who do you heart?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What if every character defaulted to crouching for 2 frames. Their first 2 active frames after waking up? But they could still block high meaty attacks by just pressing back. They're not fully stood up yet (animation-wise), but they're active with the same hitboxes as their normal crouching hitboxes.

Would that make cross-ups not so overpowered?

alstein

Professor Beef said:
I'm with threi on option selects, but I don't really mind links all that much.

Links aren't bad, 1f links that get you punished hard if you fail them are bad. ST had a good system- the links are hard, but if you fail them the other guy is blocking your normal and you're not killed for it. Probably because the game has longer blockstun/hitstun.

Option selects aren't that bad, option selects that make critical points in the game autopilot are bad.

Joekage said:
lol.

I'm actually doing this combo much more consistently now that I've gotten the general timing down for it. Since I don't plink, it's a little tough, but I'm working on practicing plinking just for this combo honestly. Looks too damn good!
It's the only combo I do now online lol. If I get a crouching jab I'm goin for it if possible. I get it like 65 percent of the time so im gettin there.

And I use plinking and option selects because why not? It's like not using wallbouncing in gears of war or not using the ex seismo cancel for it's invincibility. It wasn't intended to be used that way but I'm gonna use it because it's there. Fuck honor, it's a video game. If everyone played fair you wouldn't see people like sako or poongko doing some of the sick shit they do. They plink and option select. So am I. But if you don't want to that's cool too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
biosnake20 said:
It's the only combo I do now online lol. If I get a crouching jab I'm goin for it if possible. I get it like 65 percent of the time so im gettin there.

And I use plinking and option selects because why not? It's like not using wallbouncing in gears of war or not using the ex seismo cancel for it's invincibility. It wasn't intended to be used that way but I'm gonna use it because it's there. Fuck honor, it's a video game. If everyone played fair you wouldn't see people like sako or poongko doing some of the sick shit they do. They plink and option select. So am I. But if you don't want to that's cool too.

Sako was doing combos no one else could do before any of us knew what seimitsu was. 1f link infinites and shit, no plinking necessary cousin.

Tansut

So is there gonna be any Gaf meetup at Seasons Beatings or anything? I'm still pretty new to the forum but it would be neat to met some of y'all in person.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I think that links in SFIV are generally an example of proper risk/reward in fighting games. They tend to provide optimal damage and/or style points without changing the fundamental nature of a given character. It's also a relatively organic way to balance a character so that (s)he's enjoyable and rewarding for players of all skill levels.

Satyamdas

Banned
Axis said:
bishamon doesn't really have chains at all

bulleta has chains but her damaging combos are all links ^_^
And none of that changes the fact that Darkstalkers is an easy mode combofest full of chain combos, does it? ^_^

DjangoReinhardt said:
I think that links in SFIV are generally an example of proper risk/reward in fighting games. They tend to provide optimal damage and/or style points without changing the fundamental nature of a given character. It's also a relatively organic way to balance a character so that (s)he's enjoyable and rewarding for players of all skill levels.

My only problem with the link system is the fact that for some characters 1 frame links don't have the reward that their easier links do. I think a player should be rewarded for hitting hard links not punished for trying it *lower dmg compared to other options, not talking about dropping the combo*.

Also option selects are a good thing in a game where backdashes have invincibility and you can make reversals safe with fadc. What if your character doesn't have a 4 frame reversal safe jump? Your wake up pressure against characters like yun and yang are gonna be limited.

alstein said:
Option selects aren't that bad, option selects that make critical points in the game autopilot are bad.

Eh, they're just different options. More often than not there's a counter or alternative. If you have one thinking player and one on autopilot, the latter will get blasted. Easy example is with Cammy. Cammy does a frame trap with cr. fierce. If you're throw teching, she gets to combo to cr. mk xx drill. If you're OS teching? She gets the counterhit leading to ultra.

Ryu player likes to os cr. jab~sweep~jab everytime on your wakeup? Fuck just wake up ultra his ass.

stabicron7 said:
My only problem with the link system is the fact that for some characters 1 frame links don't have the reward that their easier links do. I think a player should be rewarded for hitting hard links not punished for trying it *lower dmg compared to other options, not talking about dropping the combo*.

As Seth said, links are a byproduct of frame advantage primarily. If something hard to do has little reward, then don't do it! It probably wasn't intended to be used that way to begin with, just so happens that the normals involved allow it to be so.

Every game/character has hard to do, unrewarding tools. Those are the tools that don't get used.

Satyamdas

Banned
Axis said:
yes, cuz the game is gdlk <3
H1Mqi.gif

USD

Just a reminder, TOPANGA will streaming the Bonchan vs. Kazunoko FT10 concept match tomorrow at 9AM EDT, about 24 hours from now. Since Tokido and Mago are in the US, I think Yoshiwo will be doing commentary, if I remember right? A little something special to watch before Day 2 of Season's Beatings.

Naturally it will be on the TOPANGA TV channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/topangatv

cackhyena

eva01 said:
Uploaded some cherry picked ranked matches on pc version vs Filipino Champ. Also an endless match vs Vangief.

eva01 vs filipino champ ranked

eva01 vs vangief endless battle

If anyone watches let me know how the quality is in 720p. New to encoding in HD. Had to fraps my replays in a lower res.
Unless something is off with my monitor all of a sudden, do the shadows not look lighter and reddened to anyone else in these vids? Most noticeable on the characters?

Kioshen

cackhyena said:
Unless something is off with my monitor all of a sudden, do the shadows not look lighter and reddened to anyone else in these vids? Most noticeable on the characters?

You can select different filters in the PC version which is probably what he's doing.

eva01

cackhyena said:

I have the watercolor filter turned on for PC version. Self shadow set to high and soft shadow to extreme enabled.

eva01 said:
I have the watercolor filter turned on for PC version. Self shadow set to high and soft shadow to extreme enabled.
Damn it Capcom, did they not fix the lighting for effects yet?
There a hotfix for the lighting somewhere online.

El Sloth

Banned
Watching the most recent Cross Counter got me wondering, there any gaffers participating in the online PC tourney that they're running?

Mœbius

The SFxT thread contains the latest little tidbit about AE2012 from NYCC - apparently the release date will be December 13th.

Edit: beaten by jlai! Curses!

Top Bottom