• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

cackhyena

I got the Batmans and I'm gonna play the shit out of that, but I'll probably be tempted to join at some point, dead tired again. What's wrong with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fDVauwBr2g

Don't know if this was asked during the last MLG event. But I guess MLG is still interested in fighting games. A interesting point they made was that they could hold MK or Namco fighters as soon as the next day but SSF4AE and Marvel are the titles that they're after which is obvious since they're easily the 2 most popular fighters in the US. I still don't see it happening but I hope it does just because it will offer more events to look forward to and good payouts which is guaranteed instead of hoping that a shit ton of people show up. So it will be more incentive for top internationals to attend.

As for all the drama about why this is bad and it will hurt the FGC, honestly I'm not in the know. I just remember hearing stuff about contracts and how it doesn't allow players to attend events that take place on the same day as there event.

notworksafe

Going by what happened with the SC2 scene, I can't think of what would be bad. Plenty of good people from the community would get hired and given proper paychecks, tourneys would have good payouts guaranteed, and there'd be a lot more attention and professionalism brought to the scene. The big issue I could see is the cheap as fuck FGC bitching about having to pay per season for HQ streams and VOD.

MLG isn't what it used to be. Sundance really does care about eSports and wants to make them legitimate.

I want MLG to pick up Street Fighter or Marvel because I want more majors to watch and more money for the top players. Sundance has already said he would let the community in charge of the tournaments now, be in charge of the mlg tournaments. I don't see why anyone would be opposed to it.

El Sloth

Banned
I remember Jago saying that the MLG contracts are ass. I think it was on the episode of Cross Counter that he was on.

Only reason I'd like to see it happen is so I can convince the Barcraft guys in the area to show something other than Starcraft.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
They're opposed to it because of reasons that no one really talks about (aka they have no idea why they're opposed to it).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think people are just afraid of change. Fighting games are probably the oldest genre of games to be played competitively, and going from like 20 years of having grassroots events and doing things our own way to handing things over to a big corporation is jarring to some people.

El Sloth said:
I remember Jago saying that the MLG contracts are ass. I think it was on the episode of Cross Counter that he was on.

Only reason I'd like to see it happen is so I can convince the Barcraft guys in the area to show something other than Starcraft.

I didn't see backlash from the Tekken community. Jago should have explained the situation on the stream instead of just saying MLG contracts are ass. All his words did was get the skeptics to further hate on mlg, when every other top player I've seen on stream advocates mlg. I'm pretty sure there is nothing to worry about when it comes to the contracts or if there is any contracts now a days other than Halo. I remember when the MLG Capcom talk was heavily discussed, Sundance was on multiple streams/podcasts explaining the situation and that there is no reason to fear the idea of an mlg SF tournament.

Lost Fragment said:
I think people are just afraid of change. Fighting games are probably the oldest genre of games to be played competitively, and going from like 20 years of having grassroots events and doing things our own way to handing things over to a big corporation is jarring to some people.

The thing they need to understand is that MLG came from grassroot Halo events where people and players would bring their own tv, console, and game to help the scene grow. It's not some corporation that was already rich from the get go that decided to cash in. Most of the employees are competitive Halo CE players from 2003. MLG brought in SC2 community members to run the tournaments, and write articles. Same with Tekken when it was there last year. Rip and FADC Seb were hired as commentators, and some of the articles were written by Tekken community members.

I don't think there is anything to be afraid of, but it's hard to persuade people now a days.

Edit: I had already forgotten Seb's name.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
CountAntonius said:
From what i heard it's because Capcom feels it would kill off the "Grass Roots" tournament scene.

It probably wouldn't kill it off, but it does have the potential to change things quite a lot. How many football organizations matter outside of the NFL? How many wrestling organizations matter outside of the WWE?

Nobody knows for sure if things would end up that way, but there is a possibility that something like this could mean a future where something like Evo turns into a minor league world series.

Yeah the contracts for halo are pretty annoying but thats because mlg was founded on halo. They want to keep it there so they still have their flagship game.Jago is an idiot. He doesnt know shit about the contracts because they use very different ones for other games. Hes just assuming. Hes one of those guys that thinks that mlg will ruin the grassroot community and isnt open to the idea of it but doesnt know the facts. Everyone just brings up the evo mlg fiasco. People make mistakes, shit happens. That was over 5 years ago. Move the fuck on. Im all for the fgc working with mlg.

El Sloth

Banned
CountAntonius said:
From what i heard it's because Capcom feels it would kill off the "Grass Roots" tournament scene.
They can both exist together I think. People just have to be mindful of not scheduling their events on the same day/weekend as an MLG one.
Lost Fragment said:
Nobody knows for sure if things would end up that way, but there is a possibility that something like this could mean a future where something like Evo turns into a minor league world series.
Rather than try to compete with an established event that continues to grow larger every year, I'd think it would be in MLG's best interest to work with them. Make EVO the definitive world championship event.

I'm pretty sure MLG has employees ask for feed back on how they can better the SC2 stream. I think they did the samething with Tekken. Hell man, I remember I used to tune in and watch Tekken because it was on MLG. I never used to watch Tekken. I got to know the US Tekken players like Kor, NYC Fab, JustFrameJames, etc... and the Korean players like Knee and Holeman. A lot of the mlg community members started to watch Tekken as well. Sometimes, gamers have no idea about competitive fighting games, but only know of mlg because it gets advertised more heavily now a days. The fighting game community can gain many new members from this partnership.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why don't we make our own fucking league if everyone is so scared of MLG? Marn apparently has the scrilla :jakncoke

El Sloth

Banned
NYC and/or NJ and Long Island dudes, would you be interested in going to a Barcraft for fighting games? Because I've been speaking with one of the dudes involved in organizing the most recent NYC Barcraft on Reddit and he says that they wouldn't mind doing one for fighting games, but they just have to know which tourneys people are most excited for/willing to go out to see.

So what do you guys think?

Kimosabae

Banned
Part of the reason why the FGC/MLG relation is so strained, outside contract issues, is due to MLG having had problems with payouts for players while they were having financial woes some years back. I think some Tekken players went up to a year without payment from certain events. The SRK community sent vats of vitriol in their direction when MLG courted them to host fighting game tournaments respective to them - this was years prior to the debacle that took place last year that caused Seb to bolt. The MLG/FGC drama goes back to 05' at the least. Markman can probably fill in some details, but he probably won't.

MarkMan said:
I'm all for FGC at MLG.

Can you clear up the contract situation?

Did the Tekken guys have to sign contracts? Do you know why MLG dropped Tekken? Was it their call, or Namco's? Or just low turnout for the tournys?

It would be cool if MVC3 or AE went to MLG. More money for players is always better.

Maybe EVO is trying to go the MLG route eventually with this whole EVO series of tournys and whatnot, who knows.

I would be cool if they worked together.

Maybe MLG could hire Spooky, hehe.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can a good Fei player give me all the Fei combos I need to know? There's shouldn't be more than like 5, right?

I'm asking for these from an actual player because I know most of the websites list weird combos for Ryu at least as being his bread and butters (once 2012 is out and I make my timedog ryu guide, that will change, and people will finally realize that I'm that best Roo, Michael).

Why the SRK crowd hates MLG:

1) Treated fighting game community very poorly in the past
2) SRK crowd are a bunch of elitist
3) The competitive fighting scene is booming and don't need help
4) EVO had much better unique viewer numbers than MLG, despite having less prominent games, and a strong case could be made that the MLG needs EVO a lot more than EVO needs MLG
5) MLG is doing well more or less only because of SC2. I am not sure what MLG can actually provide to the fighting game community.
6) Japanese players admire how EVO is owned by fans, designed to serve fans while SBO is run by a bunch of bloodsuckers charging money for stream and paying the players a pathetic amount of money. Why should fighting game fans throw that away in the vain hope of some recognition from people who don't give a damn about fighting games?
7) MLG change their lineup all of the time according to what that's popular, things like the long run of MvC2, 3S and CvS2 would be impossible under them. Just look at how they kicked Tekken and SSBB away. So why should the fighting game community join an organisation that wouldn't hesitate to axe them and chop them into pieces?

Timedog said:
Can a good Fei player give me all the Fei combos I need to know? There's shouldn't be more than like 5, right?

I'm asking for these from an actual player because I know most of the websites list weird combos for Ryu at least as being his bread and butters (once 2012 is out and I make my timedog ryu guide, that will change, and people will finally realize that I'm that best Roo, Michael).

C. lk xx st. lp -> cr. lp XX rekkas or super

C. lk xx st. lp -> cr. hk - this combo won't be available in 2012 though.

Add shorts/jabs to your liking, but st. lp to cr. lp is an easy link, any crouching poke such as cr. lk -> cr. lp or cr. lp -> cr. lp is a 1frame.

St. mp -> cr. jab XX rekkas

St. mp -> cr. hk

St. Mp -> cr. mk or mp XX super. cr. mp is an easier link, but cr. mk has bigger range.

and other important one is :

cr. strong counterhit -> rekkas(or super). 2 frame link, but really important in your footsies as it punishes the other players buttons while you walk forward.

Those are his basic universal ones. He has chicken wing combos too, and some char specific as well.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
C. lk xx st. lp -> cr. lp XX rekkas or super

C. lk xx st. lp -> cr. hk - this combo won't be available in 2012 though.

Add shorts/jabs to your liking, but st. lp to cr. lp is an easy link, any crouching poke such as cr. lk -> cr. lp or cr. lp -> cr. lp is a 1frame.

St. mp -> cr. jab XX rekkas

St. mp -> cr. hk

St. Mp -> cr. mk or mp XX super. cr. mp is an easier link, but cr. mk has bigger range.

and other important one is :

cr. strong counterhit -> rekkas(or super). 2 frame link, but really important in your footsies as it punishes the other players buttons while you walk forward.

Those are his basic universal ones. He has chicken wing combos too, and some char specific as well.

I don't think I have the reaction time to do cr. mp into super, can you buffer the motion so that it doesn't come out except on hit? Like you'd do with Ryu cr.mk xx fireball, or Ibuki cr.mp xx neckbreaker?

scytheavatar said:
7) MLG change their lineup all of the time according to what that's popular, things like the long run of MvC2, 3S and CvS2 would be impossible under them. Just look at how they kicked Tekken and SSBB away. So why should the fighting game community join an organisation that wouldn't hesitate to axe them and chop them into pieces?
I wouldn't have run 3S at EVO this year. I understand it was to promote the game, but someone should've vetoed that decision.

Professor Beef said:
I wouldn't have run 3S at EVO this year. I understand it was to promote the game, but someone should've vetoed that decision.

Capcom wanted it, Capcom gave them money, it's just an hour long exhibition anyway so it's not like it takes much time and effort to organise.

scytheavatar said:

4) EVO had much better unique viewer numbers than MLG, despite having less prominent games, and a strong case could be made that the MLG needs EVO a lot more than EVO needs MLG
5) MLG is doing well more or less only because of SC2. I am not sure what MLG can actually provide to the fighting game community.
6) Japanese players admire how EVO is owned by fans, designed to serve fans while SBO is run by a bunch of bloodsuckers charging money for stream and paying the players a pathetic amount of money. Why should fighting game fans throw that away in the vain hope of some recognition from people who don't give a damn about fighting games?

1. Valid
2. valid
3. Of course it doesn't need help to stay alive, but why not give it a little boost to give us more majors?
4. You have the numbers for that?
5. MLG will provide extra majors for the stream monsters and money for the top players and commentators.
6. Who said Evo would die?
7. Those small tournaments will still have their time in events outside of mlg. Not sure why that's a problem. SSBB was taken away because they weren't allowed to stream it. Tekken was gone because the community wasn't big enough I guess. Either way, how did the Tekken community suffer from their stint with MLG? You're assuming if MLG hosts SF and Marvel tournaments, there would be no So Cal and Nor Cal Regionals, Final Round, Season's Beatings, etc... Not sure why you think that.

Timedog said:
I don't think I have the reaction time to do cr. mp into super, can you buffer the motion so that it doesn't come out except on hit? Like you'd do with Ryu cr.mk xx fireball, or Ibuki cr.mp xx neckbreaker?

Oh you can do it, trust me. remember it's a link. And if you don't think you're fast enough, you can always do CH cr. mp -> cr. mk XX super.

You don't have to go for that combo though, fei has a lot of ways to get his super off. You can always opt for CH cr. mp -> rekkas, and then you'll be right next to them and can use the super as a 50% punish for techs.

Also yes, you can cancel super off both cr. mp and cr. mk the same way you would with ryu or ibuki. Obviously make sure that if you're going to do that you're only doing it at a range where you're catching limbs, and not their body so you don't get blocked and die.

scytheavatar said:

1) True
2) True
3) Just because we're booming doesnt mean we dont need help to grow even quicker.
4) True evo had about double the unique viewers than MLG, but 35 million people watched MLG. Just seeing a tab on there video player saying street fighter could add huge amounts of views to street fighter and convert some of those 35 million people to watch it. The best argument is really that they need each other.
5) Well before SC2 it was because of halo which they still have and is still doing pretty well. MLG can provide a shitload more sponsors, better streams, more money for players and commentators, and more exposure.
6) MLG streams are free, you pay for the HD stream. MLG pays there player quite well. Also once again, MLG wont cause a death in the grassroots community. It might hinder it a bit, but it will be good for the FGC in the long run.
7) Tekken and SSBB didnt get alot of viewership. Halo games have been on the circuit for 7 years. Gears of war for 4 years. They keep the games that do well and obviously street fighter does well in viewership. Also in this era of fighting games, we wont have games that last that long because new ones come out frequently. MvC2, 3S, and CvS2 were played so long because there was a huge drought in games.

Satyamdas

Banned
biosnake20 said:
4) True evo had about double the unique viewers than MLG, but 35 million people watched MLG. Just seeing a tab on there video player saying street fighter could add huge amounts of views to street fighter and convert some of those 35 million people to watch it. The best argument is really that they need each other.
No, there were not 35 million unique viewers. Not anywhere close to that. The MLG video player required an insane amount of refreshes during their stream and each one of those counted as a new "view". They did that all weekend and it inflated those numbers ridiculously.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
Also yes, you can cancel super off both cr. mp and cr. mk the same way you would with ryu or ibuki. Obviously make sure that if you're going to do that you're only doing it at a range where you're catching limbs, and not their body so you don't get blocked and die.

Yeah, you gotta do the Ibuki xx neckbreaker at that range too, although I fuck it up a lot cause people like to move around sometimes a/o my old man eyesight is failing me :(

Satyamdas said:
No, there were not 35 million unique viewers. Not anywhere close to that. The MLG video player required an insane amount of refreshes during their stream and each one of those counted as a new "view". They did that all weekend and it inflated those numbers ridiculously.
Didn't mean to say people but views. I know they weren't unique views but even if that number was inflated by triple thats still 13.5 million views. And no it wasnt effected that much because of refreshes because they fixed most of there stream problems back in Anaheim. These are the Raleigh numbers.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kimosabae said:
Part of the reason why the FGC/MLG relation is so strained, outside contract issues, is due to MLG having had problems with payouts for players while they were having financial woes some years back. I think some Tekken players went up to a year without payment from certain events. The SRK community sent vats of vitriol in their direction when MLG courted them to host fighting game tournaments respective to them - this was years prior to the debacle that took place last year that caused Seb to bolt. The MLG/FGC drama goes back to 05' at the least. Markman can probably fill in some details, but he probably won't.

Damn. You make me feel old. I know the full story but I'm too lazy to explain it and I don't think it will matter nowadays. What's in the past is in the past.

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Can you clear up the contract situation?

Did the Tekken guys have to sign contracts? Do you know why MLG dropped Tekken? Was it their call, or Namco's? Or just low turnout for the tournys?

It would be cool if MVC3 or AE went to MLG. More money for players is always better.

Maybe EVO is trying to go the MLG route eventually with this whole EVO series of tournys and whatnot, who knows.

I would be cool if they worked together.

Maybe MLG could hire Spooky, hehe.

I can't speak on behalf of MLG regarding their contracts. So I won't.

All I know is. I love both crowds.

Timedog said:

FMF listed some already.

If you get a free jump in and have full meter:

j.HP or HK, st.HK xx SUPER

dat dmg

Also, after landing HK or EX Chickenwing, plinking HP~MP~LP helps you land either a st.HP or LP more easily. You can then cancel into rekkas.

Satyamdas

Banned
biosnake20 said:
Didn't mean to say people but views. I know they weren't unique views but even if that number was inflated by triple thats still 13.5 million views. And no it wasnt effected that much because of refreshes because they fixed most of there stream problems back in Anaheim. These are the Raleigh numbers.
I know this was Raleigh, and people were complaining about having to restart the player dozens of times throughout the weekend, many of them had to restart after every commercial break. Evo had more unique viewers than MLG that weekend but less than 1/10th of total views. I'm not saying MLG did that on purpose to inflate their numbers, I'm just saying that that 35 million number is very suspect and virtually meaningless.

Anyway, I don't really know how MLG picking up SF would work out, but if MarkMan gives his stamp of approval, I have no choice but to give my tentative (and worthless :p) support.

Top Bottom