• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

NeoUltima

Played on one of those Asus monitors today.

Holy shit was my timing on everything off. Apparently I'm used to my laggy ass TV.
I was hitting things way too early.

Tansut said:
KuGsj.gif

Tansut said:

Why does this video have more dislikes then likes? I'm crying here, this is just too amazing.

As for themes, my favorites are Cammy and Abel, hard to decide which I like more. Followed by the the Gouken vs Ryu theme. After that it's hard to say because I don't think there is a single theme that I dislike. They're all pretty good to me.

Well, looks like it's time to replace some parts in the stick. I thought my execution was getting worse, but LP drops inputs, and up and up-back. So many times Ive dropped sim's bnb into super.

Cody theme and rog theme are tops for me. As for stage themes, I pick solar eclipse, Cruise ship stern, and overpass. And I miss Indestructible dearly

Imm0rt4l

zlatko

Banned
pirateben said:
I would love to hear specifics about why he thinks Akuma might be top tier in 2012, considering he received only nerfs so far.

You have to look at the whole ecosystem and how all of his bad match ups are getting better for him as those characters are getting nerfed.

eissan

pirateben said:
I would love to hear specifics about why he thinks Akuma might be top tier in 2012, considering he received only nerfs so far.

wait hasnt akuma been top 5 ever since ssf4 came out? he was already top tier and now he's going to godlike tier and kicking the shit out of yun/yang/fei :p.

Mœbius

zlatko said:
You have to look at the whole ecosystem and how all of his bad match ups are getting better for him as those characters are getting nerfed.
Yeah I did and aside from Yun & Yang being easier to handle (which applies to almost every character) his other matches remain the same at best i.e even (or worse considering most of the cast received buffs), with the exception of big characters like gief and hawk, which were in Akuma's favour but with the st.HK recovery and damage nerf are now also even, and charge characters who can hold down back all day with the demon flip palm nerf.

So basically he seems mostly even or slightly worse off based on the change list. Don't get me wrong, it sounds balanced and he's clearly still strong (mid to top tier for me)... but not obviously s tier (which is what I got from Mago's reply). Think the top s tier list is going to be held by Fei, Yun, Ken, Sagat and possibly Gief.

/end theory fighter

pirateben said:
Yeah I did and aside from Yun & Yang being easier match-ups (which applies to almost every character) his other matches remain the same at best i.e even (or worse considering most of the cast received buffs), with the exception of big characters like gief and hawk, which were in Akuma's favour but with the st.HK recovery and damage nerf are now also even, and charge characters who can hold down back all day with the demon flip palm nerf.

So basically he seems mostly even or slightly worse off based on the change list. Don't get me wrong, it sounds balanced and he's clearly still viable (mid to top tier for me)... but not obviously top tier. Think that place is still going to be held by Fei, Yun, Ken, Sagat and possibly Gief.

/end theory fighter
Well in super, akuma was basically the best character in the game. The only characters that gave him trouble were dictator and viper. Then AE came along. Now dictator, viper, yun, and yang gives him trouble and lot more matchups(like makoto, sakura, cody, etc.) are closer to even or are even. So in 2012 it looks like only dictator and maybe viper will give him trouble. Maybe cody and ryu might be harder for him as well. So yea I get why mago said he was gonna be really strong. He will probably be top tier but not the best character in the game.

Kenzo interviews tokido about AE2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpWlUaLxw8&feature=youtube_gdata

cHaotix8

Akuma has been top 5 since vanilla (Sagat, Ryu, Akuma, Rog, Rufus) and hasn't really left that spot. I wouldn't say he was the best character in Super though, that title goes to Cammy; her only troubling matchup being Balrog. He should still be strong in 2012 but I doubt he'll be tops.

lol @ Tokido saying he'd use Phoenix if she was in SFIV.

Joekage

Akuma lost 3-4 setups out of almost 100 that he had before. His ground game is ridiculous with his walkspeed and mixup after sweep. He has high damage output, incredible mobility, an uppercut that is considered one of the best in the game, an air fireball to maneuver across the stage semi-safely, demon flip shenanigans that put Yun's mixup to shame, and a way to cancel teleport to counter OS's.

Akuma will still be top tier in AE 2012, definitely top 3. His bad matchups only include Viper and I honestly don't think Bison is a bad matchup for him at all either. Not a surprise that Daigo would migrate to him after the Yun nerf.

Also, Cammy was best in Super, followed by Akuma. God I wish Super Cammy was back, never realized how fun it was playing her, only how bad it was to play against her.

cHaotix8

Akuma Dudley was even in Super and it's in Dudley's favor in AE. In 2012 I think It'll probably be 6-4 Dudley for sure. He might be top 5 but I don't think he'll be the best.

Mœbius

Interesting, thanks for the vids biosnake.

Again, I wasn't suggesting that Akuma won't still be strong, just interested in hearing why they thought so.

My feeling is that he'll be high but not top 5, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. But it's hard to call, it all sounds so balanced and close that lots of characters seem interchangeable at this point - guess we'll find out soon!

Joekage

cHaotix8 said:
Akuma Dudley was even in Super and it's in Dudley's favor in AE. In 2012 I think It'll probably be 6-4 Dudley for sure. He might be top 5 but I don't think he'll be the best.

Ah yeah forgot about Dudley, I don't know, on paper it still sounds like Akuma is godlike. Losing a mixup or two as the only nerf is pretty good news. But yeah, he won't be the best. Right now, I'm looking at these top 5 as my tentative list. Viper ex seismo nerf is irrelevant as to why she was good in the first place and with the nerfs to other top tier characters, she is gonna have a field day still.

1. Viper
2. Akuma
3. Sagat
4. Fei Long
5. Gief

Fosh

Neo Member
cHaotix8 said:
I pretty sure the only one she had trouble against was Rog, Farms would know for sure though.

In my opinion she is at disadvantage in all 4 of those match-ups in every version. I think Boxer is well known as her worst match-up though.

Edit: Actually Guile players will say that she wins the match-up. I would settle for calling it even.

biosnake20 said:
Didnt cammy have trouble against boxer, guile, fei, and honda?

Only if you listen to the outspoken scrubs (and james chen) on the cammy board. IMO her only bad matchups in super were boxer and dictator, losing 4-6 to each. Definitely the best character in that game. I was touting her as the top of the tops way before there was even a bandwagon!

You COULD make an argument for Fei beating her just due to raw damage output since he got 400 damage meterless combos on her, but tool wise that's an even matchup. Guile and Honda though had a shitty ass time keeping her out, and once she got in it was almost impossible for them (especially guile) to do anything about her mixup.

biosnake20 said:
Didnt cammy have trouble against boxer, guile, fei, and honda?

nah. i mean sure the damage output disparity was there, but her mixups were great and ex cannon spike stuffs everything including ex headbutt.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What's a program I can use to stream matches live on PC? I don't have a capture card or any of that shit, but I know there's some software to transmit video of a live desktop or some shit. I'mma start streaming some shit, Michael.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
pirateben said:
Yeah I did and aside from Yun & Yang being easier to handle (which applies to almost every character) his other matches remain the same at best i.e even (or worse considering most of the cast received buffs), with the exception of big characters like gief and hawk, which were in Akuma's favour but with the st.HK recovery and damage nerf are now also even, and charge characters who can hold down back all day with the demon flip palm nerf.

So basically he seems mostly even or slightly worse off based on the change list. Don't get me wrong, it sounds balanced and he's clearly still strong (mid to top tier for me)... but not obviously s tier (which is what I got from Mago's reply). Think the top s tier list is going to be held by Fei, Yun, Ken, Sagat and possibly Gief.

/end theory fighter
Akuma will be worse in and of himself, but there's a damn good chance he'll be better overall in terms of viability. Having bad match-ups with the top-tier characters is a kiss of death for tournaments and Akuma received huge buffs in that area in 2012. If Akuma goes more or less even with the entire cast, he might lose the math game on a match-up chart and still be the best character in the game.

XenoRaven

Timedog said:
What's a program I can use to stream matches live on PC? I don't have a capture card or any of that shit, but I know there's some software to transmit video of a live desktop or some shit. I'mma start streaming some shit, Michael.
You will need Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder. That's the program that will send your captured video and sound to your stream.

To actually capture the video you will need SCFH DSF or VH Screen Cap. I use SCFH DSF as I find it a little easier. Don't have time to go through all the setup steps right now. If you have trouble setting it up on your own, post again and I'll help you out.

Top Bottom