• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Pretty much like Momochi. I always felt Momochi had the best akuma in vanilla, but I heard he wanted a more grounded character, so he switched to Ken.

BadWolf

biosnake20 said:
Some daigo akuma action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34XUKskkc4&feature=youtube_gdata

Daigos akuma is really interesting. He plays him like ryu. He zones and plays footsies and punishes accordingly. Its truly a sight to see.

In those matches he played like someone who has been itching to throw a fireball for a year.

His Akuma might end up being real special, unlike Tokido he is incorporating strong footsies and zoning. If he combines this with Tokido's onslaught of mixups and vortexes then watch out.

biosnake20 said:
Some daigo akuma action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34XUKskkc4&feature=youtube_gdata

Daigos akuma is really interesting. He plays him like ryu. He zones and plays footsies and punishes accordingly. Its truly a sight to see.

Agreed, I always thought this was one of Tokido's glaring flaws. His whole game plan is centered around the vortex and if he can't get it started and going, then sometimes he's screwed. Daigo already has very strong zoning, footsies, and anti-air, it shouldn't take him that long to learn the vortex. So if Daigo puts forth all his effort into Akuma then I think he can become the better Akuma then Tokido.

So went to vancouver street battle and got some good games in.

Lost to sagat in singles, beat 3 guys just to get back to him in losers. Ultimately I knew I wouldnt win, and playing on xbox is way different than ps3 ( note:not better, different) but i earned some love and respect from the crowd. When i learned I was playing sagat again I for hype and started yelling at him about the salty runback. The Chinese guys saw a big ass white boy like me getting hype and knew shit was going down.

Anywaya long story short I might retire for at least a bit. But i go out with my head held high.

biosnake20 said:

Midway through the SBV venue tour, Gootecks has a interview with Ghaleon. Towards the end he expresses his hopes that future tournaments adopt the idea of $20 entry fee(for the biggest games at least). I'm with him, I hope a lot of Majors in 2012 take notice of this and adopt it themselves. Locals and regionals can stay $10. But big tournaments like NCR, Final Round, UFGT, and EVO especially should adopt it IMO.

It looks like Level|Up is the first to make this move. It's $20 for SSF4AE and MvC3 at SCR. Imagine that entry fee with EVO numbers. If we took this years number, that would be a payout of 30K+ for AE and 20K+ for Marvel.

One other thing, remember how we heard that Gamerbee wasn't too happy with his winnings from last year? We finally know how much Gamerbee won, and it was only $1400. That's $1400 for a 412 man tournament. Momochi won $2750 for a 270 man tourney at this years Seasons Beatings. Almost twice the cash for a tournament two-thirds the size of last years tournament. If I was Gamerbee I'd wouldn't be too happy about that either.

Maybe Evo should be higher. It's the world championships. If players are already spending money to fly to Vegas, book a room, food, etc then an entrance fee of $30 or higher would be okay. Throw in Sponsor money and a payout of $20,000 to $30,000 for first place is feasible. And maybe pay out top 16 or 32.

And maybe they could do small, high-stakes tournaments like ST, TS, KOF, MK, etc. So the community for those games can attend Evo.

And Daigo's Akuma seemed pretty basic. But as some pointed out, he seems strong on fundamentals. And he's obviously working on combos. He just needs to throw in the vortex and air fireballs. And like Markman said, back in A3 (just youtube Valle vs. Daigo WC) Daigo did use Akuma. Through the years, he's played Guile, Ryu, Akuma, Fei Long, Boxer, etc.

And glad they have notes in the Poongko video that he lost to Vryu several times before. Is there some high-profile tournament taking place in Europe?

Spiderjericho said:
And glad they have notes in the Poongko video that he lost to Vryu several times before. Is there some high-profile tournament taking place in Europe?

Yes, I guess. I don't know how big it will actually be, but Poongko along with other high profile European players will be there.

http://www.redfightdistrict.com/home.htm

As for Poongko, I do love his competitive spirit. Or saltiness as other people would say. He did the same thing when he played Combofiend and started off with 5 straight losses. He wanted to keep going and going, he brought it back to 6-9 before Combo left. He probably wouldn't have let Combo leave until he was up a game if it were up to him lol.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I want to be able to think whatever Daigo is thinking. I don't think other brains are thinking the same things he's thinking. Whether he is better or worse in said fighting game.

Rice-Eater said:
Midway through the SBV venue tour, Gootecks has a interview with Ghaleon. Towards the end he expresses his hopes that future tournaments adopt the idea of $20 entry fee(for the biggest games at least). I'm with him, I hope a lot of Majors in 2012 take notice of this and adopt it themselves. Locals and regionals can stay $10. But big tournaments like NCR, Final Round, UFGT, and EVO especially should adopt it IMO.

It looks like Level|Up is the first to make this move. It's $20 for SSF4AE and MvC3 at SCR. Imagine that entry fee with EVO numbers. If we took this years number, that would be a payout of 30K+ for AE and 20K+ for Marvel.

One other thing, remember how we heard that Gamerbee wasn't too happy with his winnings from last year? We finally know how much Gamerbee won, and it was only $1400. That's $1400 for a 412 man tournament. Momochi won $2750 for a 270 man tourney at this years Seasons Beatings. Almost twice the cash for a tournament two-thirds the size of last years tournament. If I was Gamerbee I'd wouldn't be too happy about that either.
Don't forget about venue fees and whetever else gets taken out. I think Viscant only got like 7k or something for winning EVO.

It's going to be expensive enough as it is, they're in a more expensive hotel next year on fucking 4th of July weekend.

El Sloth

Banned
Conceited said:
Poongko is up!

Apparently Poongko made a little over $400 US (300 euros) in money matches, just on the first day alone.
Europe not as poverty as the US and can afford to have money matches more than $10?

El Sloth said:
Europe not as poverty as the US and can afford to have money matches more than $10?

Nah, standard for most people moneymatching international players (daigo/poongko/momochi etc. etc.) is typically $20 Ft3, has more to do with who you're playing against, than the country.

Rice-Eater said:

And why was this year's SB numbers for AE two-thirds the size of last year's tourney? They were expecting a pot of $6000-$8000 for AE AND MvC3, which means 300-400 people playing each. MvC3 had 170 players which is below the $5000 minimum pot and they ended up making a massive lost from it.

Suffice to say, the $20 pot fee was a spectacular failure and the SCR organizers needs to rethink it or else they are going to see a massive decline in attendance too.

number47

scytheavatar said:
And why was this year's SB numbers for AE two-thirds the size of last year's tourney? They were expecting a pot of $6000-$8000 for AE AND MvC3, which means 300-400 people playing each. MvC3 had 170 players which is below the $5000 minimum pot and they ended up making a massive lost from it.

Suffice to say, the $20 pot fee was a spectacular failure and the SCR organizers needs to rethink it or else they are going to see a massive decline in attendance too.

Capcom really dropped the ball on fighting games this year. AE destroyed alot of motivation for lower level players. Then to hear that 2012 was coming,you rather just wait it out.

Same goes for Marvel.

scytheavatar said:

The fee wasn't a failure, the reason is that there are more games now and people have changed there game and many only play one now. Attendance was practically the same, but last year everybody only played SF. This year Marvel has taken a huge chunk of the player and MK has done a bit of damage as well to the SF player base. EVO had more total players this year, but SF4(the biggest game again) had less total players register compared to last year.

Without the 20 dollar hike, those numbers would have been the same with only half the pay out. As for there expectations, I honestly think they just didn't think thing through enough. They probably expected all those people last year to play SF4 again and also play Marvel. But things aren't like that, a lot of SF only players from last year only play Marvel nowadays. If you look at numbers at every Major after Marvel came out you'll see the same thing. A decline for SF4, but overall attendance the same(give or take) as last year. And that's with the same entrance fee as last year as well.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Rice-Eater said:

To me, this is an argument for TOs to extract more money from sponsors. In addition to a cut of entrance fees, an event like EVO should have a large guaranteed minimum pot from Capcom and companies like MadCatz, MS/Sony, et al. that can be advertised up front like that PDP MK tournament. TOs already let these companies set up shop there, anyway.

Things like EVO Moment #37 or Bionic Aaaaarrrrm! are a totally organic, free byproduct of these events and are better advertising than anything Capcom could ever do on their own.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Robot Pants said:
After that first EX shoryu in the corner, Poongko knew all he had to do was wait for Ferdi to mash after the toe taps and he was done.

Yeah he got played, also lol@ Do it for France V-ryu!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Conceited said:
The France vs Japan troll is killing me.

The commentators are killing me...

edit : hahhaah oh lord, apparently there are no countries between korea and the netherlands.

Top Bottom