• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Had this conversation with a friend and couldn't help it but ask you guys to. If you could take your current knowledge and skill right now and go back to the first week of SF4, what would you do and how well do you think you'll fare? That one guy that rules the local scene, do you think you could kick his ass real easy with his week 1 skills? Would you play someone like Seth and copy Poongko's current tactics? Would you play Akuma and claim the fame of innovating the vortex and the st. HK loop(unless it was already being used before then in Japan). Hell, do you think you could cash in by dominating the local tournaments for a couple of months or until everybody else catches up to you? Or maybe you just want to body people online and couldn't care less about anything else. Just wondering what you guys would do in that situation.

I would enter every tournament possible and get that fight money.

I probably wouldnt win though. There are some real killers here locally (tatsu, warahk, andyocr, richard nguyen, etc).

E.Ryu has 1 bar ultra from semi-mid screen, gat damn.

At first I responded to this post about how you needed to be close to the wall. But then it just hit me, Evil Ryu can combo into Ultra from mid screen with just one bar. But it's not EX tatsu or EX hado, it's EX shaku. Say you land a deep j. HK you follow up with cr. LP, cl. MP, EX shaku, Ultra for 437. Or just skip the jab and just go straight into cl. MP Ex shaku Ultra for 467 since it scales less with the jab.

I remember doing this a while back, but it's awkward to do since I want to hold forward so I can get ready to do the HCB, but if you hold forward and press MP then you get the overhead of course. But guys who don't have execution issues like me would look beast with Evil Ryu since he has much more to offer then meets the eye. I just wish someone really good would play him and show everybody else his true potential.

Imm0rt4l

I was looking at these running sets numbers daigo has in AE 2012, posted by Zhi

"It looks like while Daigo is playing more Akuma than ever before, he's running into trouble in the Seth matchup and had to switch to Ryu to pull out a victory. Kazunoko's Seth seems to be dominating more and more by the day, though it doesn't look like he can get a clear advantage over Iyo and the loss to Daigo's Ryu is surprising."

Daigo Akuma || Nekojita Abel: 2-2
Iyo Ibuki || Kazunoko Seth: 4-4
Daigo Akuma || Kazunoko Seth: 4-14
Daigo Ryu || Kazunoko Seth: 6-2
Daigo Ryu || TKD Balrog: 6-3
Daigo Ryu || Younashi Juri: 6-8
Daigo Ryu || Kabocha Boy Adon: 3-5
Daigo Ryu || Hanamaruki Sagat: 9-3
Daigo Ryu || Jyobin Ryu: 6-2
Daigo Ryu || keNzo Akuma: 13-1

This got me thinking more about how ones style evolves and playing different chars can conflict in ones playstyle. Daigo plays really grounded, and this doesn't really lend itself to akumas strengths, much to his detrement.

I think I need to decide to play more lame all around, because since picking up dudley I don't like holding back all that much, I prefer to go in something that I really shouldn't do when playing gouken. I should probably consider learning dhalsim.

Threi

notag
This got me thinking more about how ones style evolves and playing different chars can conflict in ones playstyle.
Been thinking the same thing myself, thing is I don't even really know what my ideal playstyle is. I feel like I just adjust myself to whatever character I play.

^I wish these matches were recorded.

Also theres an interview with the founder of EVO(Tom Cannon) live. They're talking about a league for fighting games or MLG picking up fighting games. Sundance from MLG right after.
http://www.twitch.tv/livevvvgaming

Is it over already or is it still coming up?

And that's very disappointing to hear about NSB. But it's understandable, I hope Gods Garden and Topanaga(if that's suppose to be a new series) continues to put together events in Japan for them to compete in and the world to watch.

vulva

I think NSB streams were generally my favourite streams. Great quality, such high level play. The dual stream set up... it was really something else.

Is it over already or is it still coming up?

And that's very disappointing to hear about NSB. But it's understandable, I hope Gods Garden and Topanaga(if that's suppose to be a new series) continues to put together events in Japan for them to compete in and the world to watch.

The interview with tom is over. Also the next NSB will be the last one.

alstein

Had this conversation with a friend and couldn't help it but ask you guys to. If you could take your current knowledge and skill right now and go back to the first week of SF4, what would you do and how well do you think you'll fare? That one guy that rules the local scene, do you think you could kick his ass real easy with his week 1 skills? Would you play someone like Seth and copy Poongko's current tactics? Would you play Akuma and claim the fame of innovating the vortex and the st. HK loop(unless it was already being used before then in Japan). Hell, do you think you could cash in by dominating the local tournaments for a couple of months or until everybody else catches up to you? Or maybe you just want to body people online and couldn't care less about anything else. Just wondering what you guys would do in that situation.

I'd try to "Expose" the game, then complain about the stupidity of the things I was doing, to try and force Capcom to change the things I don't like about the game.

Probably would fail, but making the game hated because of those things would perhaps cause the game to be better in the long run.

I'd try to "Expose" the game, then complain about the stupidity of the things I was doing, to try and force Capcom to change the things I don't like about the game.

Probably would fail, but making the game hated because of those things would perhaps cause the game to be better in the long run.
What things don't you like? I don't see much to expose outside of balancing issues. Unless of course ur talking about vanilla nonsense that got removed anyways in super/ae

cackhyena

So that might be the last time I ever go on PSN again. Luckily XBL was up and running in no time after I abandoned that abomination. I've always wondered why SF4 on Xbox looks sharper and brighter. It's always so jarring going back. Almost like I'm wearing sunglasses. I still can't believe how long a simple thing like getting to a lobby takes. It's literally about a five to ten second delay compared to XBL. I just don't get it.

For some reason I got every message as far as disconnects go. "Host has left"...he didn't leave when I checked back. "Player left" in my own lobby...they didn't. Kicked back to the main menu for no reason with solid connection to player. I couldn't get in one damn fight. At the char select screen and "player has left". Fucking...fuck PSN for good.

Cool story bro.

alstein

What things don't you like? I don't see much to expose outside of balancing issues. Unless of course ur talking about vanilla nonsense that got removed anyways in super/ae

Mainly how the game inputs- which leads to some of the things I don't like gameplaywise, like overpowered option selects. (option selecting by itself isn't that bad, but SF4 OS's are often overpowered in how little can be done to counter many of them)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mainly how the game inputs- which leads to some of the things I don't like gameplaywise, like overpowered option selects. (option selecting by itself isn't that bad, but SF4 OS's are often overpowered in how little can be done to counter many of them)
Focus back dash or block. What more do you need?

alstein

Focus back dash or block. What more do you need?

Stuff like Ryu's DP OS beat all of that, even if only slightly.

Then again I come from a more 3d-ish school of fighters, so I don't always like situations where there's one best option no matter what you read on the opponent. I just feel there's too much of that in SF4.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Stuff like Ryu's DP OS beat all of that, even if only slightly.

Then again I come from a more 3d-ish school of fighters, so I don't always like situations where there's one best option no matter what you read on the opponent. I just feel there's too much of that in SF4.

Can't OS focus backdash, though depending on the characters and situation you can punish the backdash.

I'm thankful for option selects being as good as they are in this game because invincible backdashes are fucking dumb.

alstein

Can't OS focus backdash, though depending on the characters and situation you can punish the backdash.

I'm thankful for option selects being as good as they are in this game because invincible backdashes are fucking dumb.

I just wish you could blow up option selects when you know they're coming, like you can in VF.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I just wish you could blow up option selects when you know they're coming, like you can in VF.

Depends on the characters and the option select, but you can blow them up.

Say I'm using Makoto against a Balrog player. If he throws me, then jumps in with roundhouse and option selects a sweep to catch a backdash just in case, he'll get smacked if I wakeup with ex oroshi.

This got me thinking more about how ones style evolves and playing different chars can conflict in ones playstyle. Daigo plays really grounded, and this doesn't really lend itself to akumas strengths, much to his detrement.

I said it a few pages back, the way he plays shotos doesn't lend itself to the more risk-based/mixup/offensive nature of Akuma/Go. He's got the combos down pat (the jab into roundhouse and the U2 combos), but he's not flying all over the place and trying to overwhelm/confuse his opponent like Tokido.

Someone mentioned he played more like Momochi's Akuma. I can't really recall it (since he switched to Ken, Yun and Cody since then).

I'm sorry to hear about NSB. I hope something else can replace it. It looks like Gama is willing to pass the torch to someone.

I got an Eightarc Fusion today, but the damn thing doesn't play to well with PC AE. Gah. I wanted it to be my all in one.

They either weren't playing, or they were excited like the rest of us to get a new Street Fighter.

I was 16 at the time (I know, old man). So, we were hyped in the streets of NY to play this. The funny thing is there was no frame data, no change lists, etc. All we had to go by was the article in the April 1992 issue of EGM.

We had no idea of the redizzy combos or cheap Bison chip psycho crusher, quick knee press, etc.

The nerf to Zangief's SPD. Guile no longer consistently being able to somewhat dizzy you with his four fierce combo (jump in, standing, sonic boom, back fist). Blanka becoming a joke. Dhalsim getting nerfed.

BadWolf

I said it a few pages back, the way he plays shotos doesn't lend itself to the more risk-based/mixup/offensive nature of Akuma/Go. He's got the combos down pat (the jab into roundhouse and the U2 combos), but he's not flying all over the place and trying to overwhelm/confuse his opponent like Tokido.

I think its a good thing he is not playing like Tokido, who I think is losing steam. Tokido relies almost completely on mixups which is not a good thing. Like during the last tournament where Tokido's Akuma easily fell to Kindevu's Viper but the complete opposite happened with Daigo, he took out Kindevu with little effort.

In a sense Akuma is Ryu but with more options, and that's how he's playing him.

I was looking at these running sets numbers daigo has in AE 2012, posted by Zhi

"It looks like while Daigo is playing more Akuma than ever before, he's running into trouble in the Seth matchup and had to switch to Ryu to pull out a victory. Kazunoko's Seth seems to be dominating more and more by the day, though it doesn't look like he can get a clear advantage over Iyo and the loss to Daigo's Ryu is surprising."

Daigo Akuma || Nekojita Abel: 2-2
Iyo Ibuki || Kazunoko Seth: 4-4
Daigo Akuma || Kazunoko Seth: 4-14
Daigo Ryu || Kazunoko Seth: 6-2
Daigo Ryu || TKD Balrog: 6-3
Daigo Ryu || Younashi Juri: 6-8
Daigo Ryu || Kabocha Boy Adon: 3-5
Daigo Ryu || Hanamaruki Sagat: 9-3
Daigo Ryu || Jyobin Ryu: 6-2
Daigo Ryu || keNzo Akuma: 13-1

I think I need to decide to play more lame all around, because since picking up dudley I don't like holding back all that much, I prefer to go in something that I really shouldn't do when playing gouken. I should probably consider learning dhalsim.

To help you beef up your defensive skills? It'll teach you to be more patient if anything. Let us know how that goes if you do go that route.

Azure J

So I'm playing this against my brother now and trying to put anything I've learned in terms of mind games, staying unpredictable and generally playing "right" to outdo his Oni. (Makoto here)

What do I get in the last round for trying to be all decent at the game instead of rushing in? An air Raging Demon he throws out from forever and a day ago that catches me mid Abare startup for the round.

The salt, it's seeping out of my everywhere.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I'm playing this against my brother now and trying to put anything I've learned in terms of mind games, staying unpredictable and generally playing "right" to outdo his Oni. (Makoto here)

What do I get in the last round for trying to be all decent at the game instead of rushing in? An air Raging Demon he throws out from forever and a day ago that catches me mid Abare startup for the round.

The salt, it's seeping out of my everywhere.

Oh god I would've loved to see this xD, but seriously a fart can hit makoto out of her u2.

SamVimes

Someone mentioned he played more like Momochi's Akuma. I can't really recall it (since he switched to Ken, Yun and Cody since then).
It was me, watch the matches from SBO and Godsgarden back in vanilla, especially against people like Mago.
I think it sucks that after vanilla is not really viable playing Akuma that way, since the only way to play him (competitively) is using the vortex he became really boring to watch and to play.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Lol at you all getting impressed over a mediocre deejay. Im starting to understand the deejay hate if the only thing you ever played was a turtle deejay :)

His EX mgu beating u2 was a suprise tho. Either that was some wierd hurtboxes or it has gotten a sick buff (it had like 3 invu frames against attacks in AE)

Top Bottom