• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

zlatko

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Actually my execution is not that good. I am better at BB than SF4 but that's not saying much. My execution needs to be cleaner because half the time instead of say a QCF motion the game registers a DP motion. Also my reaction time is quiet terrible and I have trouble with single frame links.

Well the good news is that Abel is one of the lowest entry barriers when it comes to execution and which is one of the reasons I mained him. As far as I know Abel has 1 1 frame link that is super important which is step kick, dash, fierce punch, into CoD, etc. That however is something I avoid attempting online due to lag, and Abel can win purely off of a knock down and mind games.

As for you doing QCF and getting DP, are you playing on pad or an arcade stick? If you're a pad player, and you're having execution issues in BB and SF4, but you do LOVE fighting games(even though you are ass with them, and want to get better), then maybe getting a fightstick in the future is something you can consider.

If you are on stick though, then that's nothing a lot of practice can't remedy. :)

Fallacy

Neo Member
zlatko said:
Well the good news is that Abel is one of the lowest entry barriers when it comes to execution and which is one of the reasons I mained him. As far as I know Abel has 1 1 frame link that is super important which is step kick, dash, fierce punch, into CoD, etc. That however is something I avoid attempting online due to lag, and Abel can win purely off of a knock down and mind games.

As for you doing QCF and getting DP, are you playing on pad or an arcade stick? If you're a pad player, and you're having execution issues in BB and SF4, but you do LOVE fighting games(even though you are ass with them, and want to get better), then maybe getting a fightstick in the future is something you can consider.

If you are on stick though, then that's nothing a lot of practice can't remedy. :)

Practice will fix it on pad too. Unless you're using like xbox analog or something just outright terrible.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Pad or stick; it doesn't really matter imo as long as you practice, practice, practice. I started on pad first and later on switched to stick because I wanted to learn how to play on one. Learning curve was not that easy for the first month or so but eventually I got used to it.

Couple of years down the line; I'm still ass lol. I hardly play these days but I want to get back in it again. I miss the crazy gaf matches.

zlatko said:
Anyway for you to share a replay?

How well do you know what the entire roster of the cast is capable of? Do you know how to block cross ups? Do you know how to crouch tech throws?

Which characters would you say are the worst ones for you to get matched up with?

Do you know the basic bread and butter combos with Abel? Can you do them without issues in training mode consistently? Do you know his best buttons for anti air, best buttons for air to air? How much meter are you spending on and on what? What do you try and do on wake up when you are knocked down? Do you know his best pokes?

Things like this can help you out a lot if you aren't aware of them. Your biggest hurdle is probably knowing the match ups. With such a big cast it can look free if you don't know what shenanigans they are going for.

More like two hours than one but oh well.

I am a casual fighting game fan. I like to play them but I haven't played any of them really seriously or gotten good enough to be competitive.

I don't know about replays. Maybe fraps but that would take some effort.

I am pretty much unfamiliar with any match ups and I understand that's a major problem. But for the moment I need to focus on execution and actually being able to play my character. I know how to tech throws and how to block cross ups but I am not good at reading the flow of the match so teching throws doesn't happen to often for me.

I need to practice combos for Abel. His main one is relies on a single frame link so that's extremely difficult for me to pull off and I haven't managed to do that yet. Certainly not something I can rely on in a match. Reading forums/wiki/guide on what's his best anti air or poke isn't that much help either because I wouldn't know when to use them or react in time. Not being able to do anything on reaction consistently is another one of my big problems.

As much as I complain I do need to just play the game a lot more and get a better feel for it. I need to learn how to approach/engage some one, movement positioning. I can practice a combo until I get it right but I won't know how to set it up in a real match.

Edit: Oh I do have a fighting stick. But I haven't developed a consistent grip that works for me. My grip gets loose over time and my execution gets even worse because of that. Or sometimes I unconsciously switch up to a more comfortable one but again it kind of throws of my stick inputs so they become less precise.

Imm0rt4l

Just beat a guy on some Lianghubb comeback shit. Loss was so devastating he went to go play black OPS. Like a
Bottom tier
BOSS.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
holdbrillanj said:
GGs corky. Killing seth in 2 guesses had me smiling in disgust.

Btw i just had to ragequit in the end. Did not want my gdlk seth exposed

GGs mate :'(, losing 50 games in a row against somebodies day 1 char, feels bad man.

I guess I can console myself by knowing that one mistake against makoto as seth and it's gg. And my name isn't Corky "Mistake" Corkyson because my parents didn't want me...
Also missing his bnb 95-99% of the time and then seeing you connect it the first round you picked seth made me wanna cry.

Imm0rt4l

I hope Adnan wins, not gonna be easy though. Must be a 7-3 matchup.

Edit: this shit is looking free
Bringing bad memories of Magneto maniacs yang scraping my gouken.

Corky

holdbrillanj said:
You are plinking right?

Nope, not when I try that one because I shouldn't really need to :(. I try to plink cl.hk -> c.mp but I think I got one chance to do that one and I botched it.

But yeah, I guess I should start plink that,c.lp,c.lp, c.mp, I promise I can set it 100% of the time in training D:>

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Corky said:
Nope, not when I try that one because I shouldn't really need to :(. I try to plink cl.hk -> c.mp but I think I got one chance to do that one and I botched it.

But yeah, I guess I should start plink that,c.lp,c.lp, c.mp, I promise I can set it 100% of the time in training D:>

There is realy no reason not to plink. After a while it comes automatic. Even plink everything, even pokes and anti air lol

Corky

holdbrillanj said:
There is realy no reason not to plink. After a while it comes automatic. Even plink everything, even pokes and anti air lol

I wish I could, every single time I play someone who can I get reminded how much I wish I could plink on a pad.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Corky said:
I wish I could, every single time I play someone who can I get reminded how much I wish I could plink on a pad.

Pad!?!? you are playing blanka. How on earth are you doing elec on a pad lol. Please tell me you are not using xbox pad atleast

Is plinking the norm? I don't plink either when I do my links. I just try to time everything with single presses. My friend said I was weird for that, hehe.

zlatko

Banned
ThatCrazyGuy said:
Is plinking the norm? I don't plink either when I do my links. I just try to time everything with single presses. My friend said I was weird for that, hehe.

Even after watching the Vesper Arcade Tutorial my fat weird fingers are too clumsy to make plinking as consistent to land my combos as just learning the right timing for stuff.

Does plinking work in ALL fighting games or just SF4?

Clipse

Made the switch to Xbox today, so I'm looking for people to play AE & Marvel with. I'm pretty damn free though. GT is JKL329

Corky

holdbrillanj said:
Pad!?!? you are playing blanka. How on earth are you doing elec on a pad lol. Please tell me you are not using xbox pad atleast

:( my shame... it knows no limits.

rvtHa.png

Corky said:
:( my shame... it knows no limits.

rvtHa.png
Are you at least using the 360 pad with the improved D-pad? I'm told that's much better.

Before I got a stick, I had a MadCatz pad and it was the best $40 I ever spent on videogames.

Relatedly: I bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (it was cheaper on Amazon), and while I like it a lot, I was playing on my friend's TE a couple of weeks ago and it felt considerably faster. Double-tapping became so much easier. I may have to make the switch.

Corky

Invisible_Insane said:
Are you at least using the 360 pad with the improved D-pad? I'm told that's much better..

Nope :[, using ye old amazing 360 d-pad.

Top Bottom