• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

LProtag

PalaceBrother said:
I have 7.23 down and .67 up, and I've only had one laggy match out of approximately 150. If upload is what matters then you're probably fine.

Thanks. I'll see what happens. Hopefully we're going to upgrade to the fastest internet we can soon. We're on the middle speed connection for AT&T and U-Verse isn't available here and it's the only ISP in our area. Sigh.

zlatko

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
How well do you think my PS3 will do with these shittastic internet speeds?

2.59 download and .43 upload

Man, I wish I back on my college campus... such fast speeds there.

Edit: I got slightly higher scores with my computer wired, but upload was the same and I only barely made it to 3.0 download. Lame.

That's pretty shitty to be honest. Odds are you'll come up as a 1 bar or no bars to a lot of people who are not within the same state as you. Always keep your net wired though if you're going to play a game online though. Laggy people ruin what little fun can be derived from online games. :(

MIMIC said:
Are there any matches on YouTube (prior to this year's EVO) of Latif losing? lol I've watched a bunch of his matches and scoured for a while and the closest I've come are TWOhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCUok2B45s draw games against Alex Valle. haha

I've seen latif lose plenty of times with his old main Sagat. Granted he didn't take the game as seriously as he does now. I don't think the matches were recorded though since arizona seems to be the last on the boat as far as streaming/recording matches.

InsertNameHere said:
Thanks. I'll see what happens. Hopefully we're going to upgrade to the fastest internet we can soon. We're on the middle speed connection for AT&T and U-Verse isn't available here and it's the only ISP in our area. Sigh.

Your speed isn't the best but... technically it's how many hops you make to get to your destination. For instance my connection is terrible for people in my own city because of the routing. Tucson->Phx->LA->Tucson, but when I play Cali players it's Tucson->Phx->LA.

LProtag

zlatko said:
That's pretty shitty to be honest. Odds are you'll come up as a 1 bar or no bars to a lot of people who are not within the same state as you. Always keep your net wired though if you're going to play a game online though. Laggy people ruin what little fun can be derived from online games. :(

Argh. I knew my internet was shit but I didn't realize it'd look that bad to other people. Great.

I usually can play online games with no lag, but I imagine a direct connection to one other person must be different than connecting to a server.

zlatko

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Argh. I knew my internet was shit but I didn't realize it'd look that bad to other people. Great.

I usually can play online games with no lag, but I imagine a direct connection to one other person must be different than connecting to a server.

What other games do you play? Dedicated servers on PC games make it so you are the only one to really suffer for your bad net, and often games like BFBC2 will just have an auto boot system in place for high ping players.

I know for something like Call of Duty there is a lot going on there to mask latency issues, but then again auto aim takes care of most of that bull shit by itself. xD

If you have a PC capable of running GGPO, you can take a look now to see what kind of pings you are getting with other players for Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, and that might give you a better idea of how laggy you will be.

rivals

InsertNameHere said:
Edit: I got slightly higher scores with my computer wired, but upload was the same and I only barely made it to 3.0 download. Lame.

As has been mentioned, always play wired. Don't bother with wireless.

Axis

MIMIC said:
Are there any matches on YouTube (prior to this year's EVO) of Latif losing? lol I've watched a bunch of his matches and scoured for a while and the closest I've come are TWOhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCUok2B45s draw games against Alex Valle. haha

i have a few replays of me beating latif but no way to upload >:[

i'm pretty sure there's replays of eva beating latif floating around somewhere

also, again, if anyone has a spare AEPC code they wouldn't mind giving away...thank you in advance.

Imm0rt4l

MIMIC said:
I recall Banana ken exposing him, essentially osing him to death for spamming ex seismo. I may be remembering wrong.

edit:looks like it was a close set in a ft10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTbvEise1CE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDYIpfMPrZo

LProtag

zlatko said:
What other games do you play? Dedicated servers on PC games make it so you are the only one to really suffer for your bad net, and often games like BFBC2 will just have an auto boot system in place for high ping players.

I know for something like Call of Duty there is a lot going on there to mask latency issues, but then again auto aim takes care of most of that bull shit by itself. xD

If you have a PC capable of running GGPO, you can take a look now to see what kind of pings you are getting with other players for Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, and that might give you a better idea of how laggy you will be.

I don't usually play games on PC. Most recently stuff like the Uncharted 3 beta worked fine for me online.

rivals said:
As has been mentioned, always play wired. Don't bother with wireless.

Yeah, I'm going to, but I didn't see any increase in my upload speed which worries me.

zlatko

Banned
InsertNameHere said:

1428623099.png

That's me right now and I'm downloading some stuff and watching videos. Usually I'm up at 16-20.

Use http://www.speedtest.net/ and click begin to see your results there.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
To be honest, your internet speed is even less of a factor now. Both Kuma and I are on FIOS, mine personally 50mb/sec download and 30mb/sec upload at it's peak and we still get laggy. Plus we aren't that far from each other so the only sense to make is that Capcom's servers are on blast. They need to step it up. Third Strike is close by along with UMVC and SFvTek is out next year. Now is a good time to start getting things situated.

zlatko

Banned
Kadey said:
To be honest, your internet speed is even less of a factor now. Both Kuma and I are on FIOS, mine personally 50mb/sec download and 30mb/sec upload at it's peak and we still get laggy. Plus we aren't that far from each other so the only sense to make is that Capcom's servers are on blast. They need to step it up. Third Strike is close by along with UMVC and SFvTek is out next year. Now is a good time to start getting things situated.

I came. Give me your internet. Jesus tap dancing christ that's god like. How much do you pay monthly?

Edit: Damn Fios isn't in my area. :(

LProtag

I want all of your internets.

Argh, honestly. People that live on my street can get U-Verse but we can't. It's like we're just out of range.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
zlatko said:
I came. Give me your internet. Jesus tap dancing christ that's god like. How much do you pay monthly?

Edit: Damn Fios isn't in my area. :(

$165/month.

Also, I think the quality of your router/modem has something to do with it too. You can have fast or slow internet but if your router/modem isn't properly doing it's job, it doesn't matter.

Yay I won a single online match today against a really bad El Fuerte player. I shouldn't be this happy about knowing that I am not the worst street fighter player in the world. There is at least one person that is even worse than me.

zlatko

Banned
Kadey said:
$165/month.

Also, I think the quality of your router/modem has something to do with it too. You can have fast or slow internet but if your router/modem isn't properly doing it's job, it doesn't matter.

This is definitely true, because my net went bonkers around 2 weeks ago and I had to have someone come out to figure it out. While he was here he noted that my router and modem could use an upgrade, and I pay for 20mbs a month, so I think I'll have to upgrade them later this year during crazy sales in the holidays.

LProtag

Sorry for the slightly off topic big internet speed discussion.

Looks like the fastest I can get here is 6mpbs download and "Our fastest upload speeds!" whatever the hell that means. Other than that I'm sore out of luck.

Thanks for the advice/tips/rubbing your fast internet in my face. Haha.

ever since I moved to nyc, my connection is shitastic. Never seen so many red connections. And I am not allowed to have fios installed.

zlatko

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
ever since I moved to nyc, my connection is shitastic. Never seen so many red connections. And I am not allowed to have fios installed.

You live in NYC now, go hit up that local play.

InsertNameHere said:
Do you have their top speed? And how is internet play for you?

I know I upgraded the speed once *was only $5-10 more*, don't think its the top though. I upgraded it cause other people in the house were starting in on netflix and when they were doing that it lagged everything else.

My online play is generally fine, a few laggy connections here and there but thats about it.

Location plays a big part too, the same plan elsewhere can act shittier if the infrastructure was half-assed in your town. Here for example Comcast is the horrible one, fast when it works but its up and down more than a yo-yo.

LProtag

stabicron7 said:
I know I upgraded the speed once *was only $5-10 more*, don't think its the top though. I upgraded it cause other people in the house were starting in on netflix and when they were doing that it lagged everything else.

My online play is generally fine, a few laggy connections here and there but thats about it.

Huh. I hope we're both not on the same speed because I'm on the middle plan and getting half that, and can only go up one more tier.

Thanks for giving me a bit of hope, haha.

Aedile

Anyone gifting/selling an AE code for the PC? Given that AE PC is now an option for PS3 Gafbats, I've got a reason to pick it up.

LProtag

cackhyena said:
Fuck all of you. I have 1.5 down. :(

Aw. I guess I don't have the complete worst. That sucks. Do you manage to play online at all?

Also is there any sort of portforwarding I'm going to have to do to help? I've heard that people with good speeds still have problems.

InsertNameHere said:
Aw. I guess I don't have the complete worst. That sucks. Do you manage to play online at all?

Also is there any sort of portforwarding I'm going to have to do to help? I've heard that people with good speeds still have problems.

Well I just set the xbox to a reserved DHCP IP address and put that address in the DMZ on my router.

...and I probably went over some peoples heads with the geek speak.

zlatko

Banned
Kaako said:
1428697732.png

Should be 50Mb/s down & 35Mb/s up ($65/month). Fios <3

Too bad PSN keeps fucking up my dl & up speeds.

I_CAME_Paris_Hilton_Screwing_Poolside-s635x477-133801-580.png

@USD

Can you .gif the part where Mike asks for a serious rating of his Chun from 1-10, then Flash tells him Zero, and Mike makes a gusta face? :p

USD

zlatko said:
@USD

Can you .gif the part where Mike asks for a serious rating of his Chun from 1-10, then Flash tells him Zero, and Mike makes a gusta face? :p
Heh, already made it, just didn't post it.

0chun48d8.gif

Axis

Triple Oceans said:
Wow, now THAT is a good internet connection for online play. O.O Verizon please come down to the Carolinas!

correction, verizon please come down to upstate south carolina, thank you!

Kai

1428762691.png

LOL - that's my office speed haha.

My home speed (Fios) - should be 20/20. Last time I checked I was getting (25/16). I have a question though - even with FIOS in certain games like SC2 or WOW I get horrible ping. Is this because of the way it delivers packets? Should I open up specific ports on the router (I am a noob)?

Top Bottom