• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Rocwell

I haven't been playing online lately, mostly doing casuals with friends twice a week. Tonight I went to a tournament at the local arcade and won my first tournament. =D Won what amounted to about a free tank of gas.

I met a bunch of new people I'd never played before and they basically had no idea how to deal with Makoto shenanigans so I was just rolling over pretty much everyone. They were asking for my PSN ID so I might start popping on again more regularly.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah Rice. Let me know everything by Friday night.

Whos in it, name, time, all the rules, etc. If you're not going to make a thread, maybe I will on Saturday morning.

This is one of the things I did for one of the HBRs.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34207194&postcount=18269

The PSN★Live tournament I ran was the most successful up to this point. Had a lot of big names watching and even MLG paid a visit in the stream chat. I think if we are to blow up the NG FGC, we have to step it up a bit. Now a lot of people want GAF accounts.

what time is the tourney supposed to start? might have some obligations that will interfere, so it'd be good to know sooner than later

Saturday night is all I can say right now. But my plan is to start it around 8 to 10 PM Eastern time. Hopefully that time is good for everybody. Just remember, I'm running both Xbox and PS3 versions of AE 2012. So if people need to play and get out of there house to go somewhere let me know so I may give priority to one system over the other just in case.

And LOL at some of the tweets I read. I was curious and wanted to see how top players reacted to Capcom's announcements. JWong is obviously excited and says whatever games are chosen will take priority. So although his main game may be UMVC3 right now, he might drop it or put less time on it if it's not part of this tournament series that Capcom is throwing. But the best part is that Jwong quoted Sanford and said it might be time to pick a top tier. Flash said fuck cool characters, it's time to sell out. So for everybody who hounded Daigo for picking Yun when AE came out, don't be surprised if you see a whole lot of people doing this soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Bizazedo

Hadoken = qcf + P
Ex Hadoken = qcf + pp
Super = qcf + ppp

No more double inputs so you'll always get a super instead of how you'll get an ex srk instead of an ultra sometimes.. aka the Valle.

Ugh, that's bad for me if they took away the double motions for supers. Ugh x20. Seems a dumb decision, too, as y'figure casuals wouldn't have arcade sticks.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
PSN: lyte edge2

I haven't played SSF4 in several months...playing SC5 and KOF XIII and waiting for SFxTK.

Rocwell

I know, it's what I used for EX moves. If supers are 3P or 3K, but not double motions, it prevents me from easily tossing EX.

Before I switched to stick I would use the two face buttons for ex and 3p/3k buttons for ultra combos. It's not as difficult as you're making it out to be. You'll get used to it after putting a little time in with the game.

And it's possible that you can assign say lp+mp to a button in the controller config. Just assign that to your mp button and bam 1 button ex moves. As long as you don't have a stock of meter you'll be able to use mp version of specials.

Bizazedo

Before I switched to stick I would use the two face buttons for ex and 3p/3k buttons for ultra combos. It's not as difficult as you're making it out to be. You'll get used to it after putting a little time in with the game.

And it's possible that you can assign say lp+mp to a button in the controller config. Just assign that to your mp button and bam 1 button ex moves. As long as you don't have a stock of meter you'll be able to use mp version of specials.

I have muscular dystrophy and don't hold the controller like a normal person, so, it is very difficult for me.

My previous pet peeve was not being able to re-map a focus attack from two mediums to, lets say, two fierce buttons. This pet peeve is looking bigger, though.

Mapping two buttons to a single one is an idea, but I used all six in SF + the triggers for 3P / 3K, so I think I'm out of buttons.

tldr; Their decisions in mapping options are atrocious and they're stupid heads.

Rocwell

I have muscular dystrophy and don't hold the controller like a normal person, so, it is very difficult for me.

My previous pet peeve was not being able to re-map a focus attack from two mediums to, lets say, two fierce buttons. This pet peeve is looking bigger, though.

Mapping two buttons to a single one is an idea, but I used all six in SF + the triggers for 3P / 3K, so I think I'm out of buttons.

tldr; Their decisions in mapping options are atrocious and they're stupid heads.
Ahh I see why that's a problem now. Well you should probably try experimenting more with different button configs. It sounds like you would prefer to play mostly on the triggers so maybe you could put lp/lk and mp/mk on the shoulders and hp/hk, 3p/3k on the face buttons or some other unconventional setup. It will take some learning but if it feels easier on your hands you'll benefit in the long run.

I don't know if the full extent of the different button config combinations are known yet and they are adding in some features to make the game more accessible like the auto-combo thingy that costs a meter. Also keep in mind only one of your specials turns into a super when you push 3 buttons and even then only if you have more than 2 stocks of meter. Not only that but the charging ex move function looks like it's going to be a pretty major part of the game system and that only takes 1 button to do and it has 1 hit of super armor.

You don't have to be a combo god to win at SF you just have to be smarter than the other guy.

Dunno if you've seen the Cross Counter interview with Broly but you should check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU#t=1m25s

Bizazedo

Now that I think about it, calmly, there might be an easy way around it. Just figure out which buttons take priority (like if you hit lp and mp at the same time, which comes out, mp or lp?) and just put those two where I'd normally put whichever one has priority.

So, if it's LP, make my current LP button (LP + MP) and just remember it's like that so I don't accidentally trigger it.

And yeah, I've seen the Broly thing. Impressive.

jlai

Saturday night is all I can say right now. But my plan is to start it around 8 to 10 PM Eastern time. Hopefully that time is good for everybody. Just remember, I'm running both Xbox and PS3 versions of AE 2012. So if people need to play and get out of there house to go somewhere let me know so I may give priority to one system over the other just in case.

And LOL at some of the tweets I read. I was curious and wanted to see how top players reacted to Capcom's announcements. JWong is obviously excited and says whatever games are chosen will take priority. So although his main game may be UMVC3 right now, he might drop it or put less time on it if it's not part of this tournament series that Capcom is throwing. But the best part is that Jwong quoted Sanford and said it might be time to pick a top tier. Flash said fuck cool characters, it's time to sell out. So for everybody who hounded Daigo for picking Yun when AE came out, don't be surprised if you see a whole lot of people doing this soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Should probably PM all the participants to make sure they can make it, or I can help you do that if you want.

Rocwell

Now that I think about it, calmly, there might be an easy way around it. Just figure out which buttons take priority (like if you hit lp and mp at the same time, which comes out, mp or lp?) and just put those two where I'd normally put whichever one has priority.

So, if it's LP, make my current LP button (LP + MP) and just remember it's like that so I don't accidentally trigger it.

And yeah, I've seen the Broly thing. Impressive.

Throws have more priority than normals, heavy normals have more priority than lights.

pressing lp + mp causes mp to come out. pressing lp+lk gets a throw, lp+lk while crouching gets a crouching lk. lp+lk+hk while standing makes you throw, and while crouching you get cr. hk.

well, i'm on the west coast and my obligations would be towards the proposed starting time...so i'd definitely prefer to get things started on the later side if possible (ps3)

Should probably PM all the participants to make sure they can make it, or I can help you do that if you want.

I was planning on doing that. But I'm busy with work so it would be really appreciated if you could. I do have a final list of who is in and out from a couple of pages ago I think so you can go by that if you got time to help me with that.

jlai

I was planning on doing that. But I'm busy with work so it would be really appreciated if you could. I do have a final list of who is in and out from a couple of pages ago I think so you can go by that if you got time to help me with that.

Okay I sent them all out. Who knew you had to wait 30 sec before you can send out another PM. So far the confirmed are:

jlai
blackvegeta
kyored
bizazedo
gunbladev
goldlion054
axis (aka vex)

PS3
cloudius
narcosis
profbeef
immort4l
rickenslacker
kevo_huevo (may be a litttttle late)
edgeward

Carlos (ps3 side) can't make it since he doesn't have AE DLC on his weekend PS3 so I PM'd some of the possible replacements.

Imm0rt4l

index.php

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?attachments/ssiv-ae-2012-working-tierlist-ordered-jpg.226/
tier list being worked on at srk.

Chun Li being top 5 is a little surprising, not sure I agree with that.

Imm0rt4l

Honda is an easier matchup then Blanka for T. Hawk? Yeah right.

I never knew it was that bad. In any case it seems that people on srk have a difficult time saying their characters beats another 7-3, they'd rather say it's 6-4, so a lot of issues in this are that some numbers are inflated. Gouken loses to a few characters free(akuma, adon,cammy, blanka for example), yet all of the bad ones are measured as a 4. This undermines the matchups that are actually slightly in other characters favor and make the characters seem more viable than they actually are.

Chun Li being top 5 is a little surprising, not sure I agree with that.

The tier list might get some of the obvious things right, but outside of that I'd pay no attention to it, especially if it's just a general community effort. The forums have proven consistently that they're not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things.

Wiseblade

1) Why is it so small?

2) Fuerte VS:
Abel 6 - 4?
Chun 4 -6?
Honda 4 - 6?
Adon 5 - 5?
Sakura 4 - 6?
Rufus 5 - 5?
Rose 5 - 5?
Yang 5 - 5?
Vega 5 - 5?

SRK don't have a clue about Fuerte.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I contributed my opinion on Makoto's matchups for that list, but they changed a lot of things that I don't really agree with. The Seth match in particular. I don't know how it's anything but 6-4 for Makoto. Yeah, Seth's oki can make her look kinda free, but he has to mix her up like 4 times to win, but if Makoto touches him and he guesses wrong once on her oki, he's dead. It's like a less extreme version of the Mak/Akuma match in 3S. Crazy ass match, but the risk/reward is in Makoto's favor. 5-5 I might be willing to begrudgingly compromise on, but not 6-4 for Seth. No way.

But yeah, either way, crowdsourced tier lists based on the opinions of online warriors aren't gonna be incredibly accurate. I don't know why they're even bothering with it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Disagree. I think it's 5-5. Maybe slightly in her favor, but 6-4 I don't know about. I have played Image's Hawk quite a bit, but it's still not a match I'm incredibly familiar with, though.

Wiseblade

But what terrible Abel players were posting that the matchup is against them? Abel has a more ambiguous mixup and has to guess less times to win the round.

Conversely, Chun and Sakura are definitely in Fuerte's favour. Both of them have easy to punish fireballs, have to rely on flawed EX Reversals to escape the mixup (EX SBK can be beaten clean by splash, Shower kick > EX Shooken) and cant even throw out a desperation ultra. Also, they don't take RSFs very well.

Fosh

Neo Member
Cammy's match-ups are listed correctly. Im not 100% on all of anyone else's matches tho so I cant speak on the entire chart

Westlo

Ken loses to Fei Long and Rose? lol. Ken isn't Ryu, he can fight back against Fei Long and I've seen MOV body Mago in 2 separate tournaments and that was in AE. (Godsgarden 4 MOV didn't even use the sweep combo) And than 1 person posting some Rose bodying some scrub Kens online turns it from 5-5 to 4-6.. lol.

Well if thats what it takes guess I'll posts vids of Michael-Tan bodying Mago and Bonchan and get Ken vs Sagat to a 6-4.

Top Bottom