• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

nHDR

Banned
so many players talking about farewell to SF4 :/
Personally it just never gelled with me. Too much emphasis on rushdown, fireball zoning was shit unless you used Guile/Sagat/Dhalsim, and I disliked the focus attack system. I've logged somewhere close to 300 hours between both vanilla and SIV/AE, disliking the game the whole time. That's just because I love Street Fighter as a whole, but I'm REALLY happy there's a new fighter out.

Personally it just never gelled with me. Too much emphasis on rushdown, fireball zoning was shit unless you used Guile/Sagat/Dhalsim, and I disliked the focus attack system. I've logged somewhere close to 300 hours between both vanilla and SIV/AE, disliking the game the whole time. That's just because I love Street Fighter as a whole, but I'm REALLY happy there's a new fighter out.

I'm on the same camp as you; the Ryu LP Shoryuken land then Ultra 1 gets tiresome and anoying everythime. Not being able to do tech-landing after a throw sucks ass when you sit on the floor for over a second after a Sagat throw that allows him to pin you full screen.

SF3 worked around these things while SF4 upped to the worse in those situations where fighting vs. Ryu became boring as fuck.

Focus Attack Dash Cancelling has always been racist IMO; it favored too much SRK characters and fucked charge characters

SamVimes

I'm on the same camp as you; the Ryu LP Shoryuken land then Ultra 1 gets tiresome and anoying everythime. Not being able to do tech-landing after a throw sucks ass when you sit on the floor for over a second after a Sagat throw that allows him to pin you full screen.
What? Who still gets hit by that?

What? Who still gets hit by that?

Just about anyone probably, especially since Ryu can make it safe for 2 bars so they have no real reason not to just throw it out. Add in online lag you can also get tagged trying to punish the last DP.

IMO the biggest mistake was allowing DP moves to be FADC'd on block, period.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
"They won't leave as long as the money is there. This game will be around for a long time to come."

A long time being until Evo 2012.

2013/14 is much more likely, this game just got 426 entries at Final Round, it's far from dead or dying in the West and its still massive in the East (record viewership for Topanga league). SFxTK isn't going to kill it outright especially in the East because its not an arcade release.

Aside from that, SFxTK isn't even officially released yet, so its almost inevitable people will find something to hate about it.

"2013/14 is much more likely, this game just got 426 entries at Final Round, it's far from dead or dying in the West and its still massive in the East (record viewership for Topanga league)"

It got a lot of entrants at Final Round because what else were they going to enter? SFxT isn't out yet and there's still Evo seeding points on the table.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Oh, and not to mention the $500k up for the SF tournaments this year, a decent portion of which will probably end up going towards this game. EVO 2012 will definitely not be this games last stand.

nHDR

Banned
You can't FADC special moves on reversal.

THERE I JUST FIXED STREET FIGHTER FOUR
Remove focus attacks and FADC, beef up fireball zoning a bit, remove Fuerte and Viper. Man, that would be so amazing...

EDIT: Stricter reversal inputs, as well. Game of the forever.

2013/14 is much more likely, this game just got 426 entries at Final Round, it's far from dead or dying in the West and its still massive in the East (record viewership for Topanga league). SFxTK isn't going to kill it outright especially in the East because its not an arcade release.

Aside from that, SFxTK isn't even officially released yet, so its almost inevitable people will find something to hate about it.

I give SFxT 3 months before people start saying, "fuck this game!"

They'll be back, they always comeback.

SF4 will die when SF5 comes out, other then that it will still have a strong player base for the coming years.

Indeed

"2013/14 is much more likely, this game just got 426 entries at Final Round, it's far from dead or dying in the West and its still massive in the East (record viewership for Topanga league)"

It got a lot of entrants at Final Round because what else were they going to enter? SFxT isn't out yet and there's still Evo seeding points on the table.

Oh come on, you're seriously going to tell me that SF4 got 426 players(THE LARGEST SF4 TOURNAMENT EVER OUTSIDE OF EVO) because people had nothing else to play? SF4 survived the Marvel onslaught, it will survive the SFxT onslaught. It may fall into 3rd place, but it will still be a very popular game. No way this game falls into the MK/KOFXIII levels of entrances.

SF4 will die when SF5 comes out, other then that it will still have a strong player base for the coming years.

Wiseblade

Remove focus attacks and FADC, beef up fireball zoning a bit, remove Fuerte and Viper. Man, that would be so amazing...

EDIT: Stricter reversal inputs, as well. Game of the forever.

So basically, you want ST.

I've always though the reversal window complaints were misplaced. If someone wants to Dragon Punch on wakeup, let them. It's your job as a player to punish them for it so hard they lie awake at night thinking "Why did I DP?!"

"Oh come on, you're seriously going to tell me that SF4 got 426 players(THE LARGEST SF4 TOURNAMENT EVER OUTSIDE OF EVO) because people had nothing else to play? SF4 survived the Marvel onslaught, it will survive the SFxT onslaught. "

SF4 and MVC3 are two entirely different games that appeal to people for entirely different reasons. SF4 and SFxT are not.

"Oh come on, you're seriously going to tell me that SF4 got 426 players(THE LARGEST SF4 TOURNAMENT EVER OUTSIDE OF EVO) because people had nothing else to play? SF4 survived the Marvel onslaught, it will survive the SFxT onslaught. "

SF4 and MVC3 are two entirely different games that appeal to people for entirely different reasons. SF4 and SFxT are not.

When the community was much tinier CVS2, SF3, and MVC2 all coexisted just fine with each other. With the community so much bigger now, I think SF4, SFxT, and MVC3 will be able to do the same. And although SFxT and SF4 are more similar, I wouldn't put them in the same category either. I think they will appeal to people differently. They already appeal to me differently for example as I'm not a fan of tag team fighters. But anyways, sure people will drop SF4 for SFxT like some people dropped SF4 for MVC3, but just like with MVC3 I don't think they will do it because they see SFxT as a replacement for SF4. Just something different and refreshing.

nHDR

Banned
So basically, you want ST.

I've always though the reversal window complaints were misplaced. If someone wants to Dragon Punch on wakeup, let them. It's your job as a player to punish them for it so hard they lie awake at night thinking "Why did I DP?!"
LOL, yeah, pretty much. I think ST with IV graphics and roster would be amazing, no? I don't know, sometimes it feels like I can get SRK'ed even out of cr. jabs. The engine is inconsistent to me.

Threi

notag
don't remove fadc, but make all reversals fadc-able on hit only. All specials at least -5 on block as well.

you make a wrong guess you should face the consequences.

Westlo

Oh, and not to mention the $500k up for the SF tournaments this year, a decent portion of which will probably end up going towards this game. EVO 2012 will definitely not be this games last stand.

The main event of those tournaments and the game with the largest money pool is obviously going to be Street Fighter X Tekken.. like Valle said to the stream after getting his Cross Assault "If you study up, next time that 25k cheque can be yours".

If players are going to have to decide between 25k 1st places in Sfxtk vs 5-10k first places in AE it's obvious which game players will gravitate to.

Also Final Round since last year is the second biggest tournament in America after Evo, it should be putting up those numbers for SFIV. Evo is the better judgment of a games staying power, SFIV 2010 > SFIV 2011 by a couple hundred, it might not even break 1000 this year with SFxTK.

People want to point to Japan and arcades... completely ignoring how well supported Super was by Godsgarden and the likes and how there's a Capcom X GodsGarden thing in the works... not to mention that arcades will eventually go the way of the dodo over their as well... the final SBO is rumored to be coming up... Street Fighter X Tekken is straight to console, Harada implied that Tekken X Street Fighter will be the same and Bandai Namco run arcades over their... I highly doubt a next gen SFV will be released in arcades... guess it won't replace SFIV than in Japan!

Give all charge characters at least one non-charge motion for Ultras, too.

Deadly serious here.

I know your being sarcastic but honestly I would settle for charge ultras not being slow as hell or useless in general. I mean some are good *chun's U1 is about all I can think of that is a good one* but not all.

Was never really a fan of the whole focus system. The PR before release was always about how 3S had the brutal learning curve of parries and that anyone could grasp a focus-- but it's one of the most convoluted mechanics in Street Fighter.

Aedile

so many players talking about farewell to SF4 :/

I loved SSF4, thought it had a great balance between lame and rushdown, and made the 2010 tournament season my favorite one since the boom. After the lame playstyle was eviscerated in AE, I've been ready to see SF4 put into its grave.

That said, I agree with people who think that SFxT will just be one more Capcom game that people enter at tournaments, rather than a replacement for SF4. People who came into the scene during the boom cut their teeth on SF4. The pros will continue to play as long as pot monsters are around, and I doubt there'll be a pot monster dropoff until the next fighting game big enough to expose new people to the genre and bring in another wave unfamiliar with SF4... which will probably be SF5.

I guess most of SF4 GAF will move to the SFxT thread. How about the Marvel 3 guys? Will most of them play SFxT or is it too different to appeal to most of them?

I guess most of SF4 GAF will move to the SFxT thread. How about the Marvel 3 guys? Will most of them play SFxT or is it too different to appeal to most of them?

So will we use that thread to post about competitive SF4 and SFxT? I'm asking since this thread will be dead.

So will we use that thread to post about competitive SF4 and SFxT? I'm asking since this thread will be dead.

Well we could, as long as it doesn't annoy people I guess. We often post non-SF4 related FG stuff in this thread all the time. So we can continue from there, because like you said this thread will be pretty much dead. Nowadays this thread slips into the 2nd page a lot. There was a time when that was rare, and I'm talking about when it was in the Gaming forum(before the Community forum was even created).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well we could, as long as it doesn't annoy people I guess. We often post non-SF4 related FG stuff in this thread all the time. So we can continue from there, because like you said this thread will be pretty much dead. Nowadays this thread slips into the 2nd page a lot. There was a time when that was rare, and I'm talking about when it was in the Gaming forum(before the Community forum was even created).

Well there are a lot more community threads than there was even a month ago. But yeah, thread's been a lot less active all the same.

RIP SF4 thread :(

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I don't plan on getting SFxT until the PC version, but I guess I'll post in that thread if we don't have a home anymore. This thread has been really slow for the past month anyway.

I don't plan on getting SFxT until the PC version, but I guess I'll post in that thread if we don't have a home anymore. This thread has been really slow for the past month anyway.

You mean you're not planning on picking up the game at all?

So I get top 8 at a major at a game I don't really even play anymore. This game is boo boo.

Congrats DBJ. Just out of curiosity, how much were you payed for finishing 5th if that's correct. If it's not something you want to disclose then it's no problem, I was just curious about FR pay out since as far as I know, that was never disclosed.

Oh and didn't you get bodied by Snake Eyes during the PxG stream :p

I don't see any reason to stop posting in this thread if we still continue to discuss AE and other Capcom fighters as well.

I will not be picking up SF X T right away since I don't have money. Plus I want to see how the game turns out in a tournament standpoint and how the community receives it. I won't be surprised if they also release a new version of the game by next year.

Also watching KoF13 in Final Round has made me seriously want the game.

Dunno how much people are still playing AE on PS3 now that SFxT is pretty much out. I play much more on the PC version now. At least you can jump on SfxT on Ps3 when you get the chance.

Top Bottom