• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

RYydL.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
biosnake20, thank you for making my day.

Just returned to this thread for the first time in weeks. Slightly tipsy. Last time I played AE was on Steam at my friend's house in Tokyo. There are all sorts of peeps still making it interesting online, and I still enjoy trying to level up my Gouken.

SFxTekken is winging it's way into my grasp, and I think I will love it. But SFIV will still remain a part of me. Like Ilsa Lund will always remain a part of Blanka.

Stay free, everyone. And if you're not free, stay fresh.

PSN: B-Genius
Steam: Bobio

Krone will do just fine. He has shown that he has solid fundementals, despite using viper.

Latif on the other hand....well he's maining rufus in sfxt last i heard. Take that for what you will.

Latif is the one who will do just fine, his Rufus/Ryu team looks great and the offensive nature of SFxT suits his play style. Krone on the other hand is trying to play Poison like she's Fei Long the last time I saw his youtube videos.

Isn't MadCatz having its event on April 13-15?

Well, Daigo, Tokido, and Mago are doing Gunslinger Beta Events every friday, so they'll be busy on the 13th. Does that mean they won't make it to the event? Or will pools not be scheduled on Friday for the games they will participate in (assuming they fly in the next day)?

jlai

Well, Daigo, Tokido, and Mago are doing Gunslinger Beta Events every friday, so they'll be busy on the 13th. Does that mean they won't make it to the event? Or will pools not be scheduled on Friday for the games they will participate in (assuming they fly in the next day)?

Last I spoke to him, MarkMan said he was gonna update us on the status of that tourney this coming week if I recall correctly.

In other news, I haven't been taking SFxT seriously at all, so I've just resorted to trolling online with Hugo's ridiculousness. Obviously it was the natural progression from Makoto-- 500 damage easy mode combos, threat of command grabs, and overall brainless play? I'm in there! :p

AE PC is a barren wasteland again.

Well about 2/3 of the sponsored players around the world seem to carry the MCZ tag with them. But still, those 3 are the main guys behind Team Mad Catz. They have to be there, it would be ridiculous if they none of them showed up. Besides that this would give us our first good look at Japan's SFxT level of play. So I'm really looking forward to the even and I hope all 3 of those guys make it.

The Team Mad Catz Championships is a new major, held at San Diego which is hosting its first major. Any major held at SoCal is likely to be a big event but I would hesitate to expect them to "demand" those Japanese stars to be present. Especially now that AE is on a decline and the scene is big enough that they don't need to invite foreign stars for a successful event.

I don't expect Majors to go out of there way to get Japanese stars over here. But this isn't a community event thrown by the players, this major is being thrown by Mad Catz. So you figure they would round up some of the best players they have under there brand to be there. Of course we have a bajillion players carrying the MCZ name, but when people think of Mad Catz sponsored players, they think of Tokido, Mago, and Daigo. But basically because this is event is being thrown by the company(and not just sponsored), that's why I have a expectation for those guys to be there unlike NorCal Regionals or even the next Season's Beatings.

You guys are making it out like the MCZ major is going to be one of those major that hit 400+ (Only Evo and Final Round hit this number and maybe CEO down the road).

Valle's SCR been around for about 3 tournaments and gets around 250ish in L.A area.

I wouldn't be surprise if the MCZ tournament end up being 50 % SD, 30 % SoCal, 10% NorCal and 10% other ending up somewhere around 192 players for the top game. Which is really good for a first major.

Look at the other majors around the U.S that isn't Cali (NCR, SCR), Big E's tournament (NEC, Winter brawl, Summer Jam), Season Beatings, Final Round, CEO, ECT (previously known as ECC), and Kiet's tournament UFGT (previously MWC).

Most of them lucky to get 150 (Your VA majors such as Civil War, Northwest Major, Texas Showdown or whatever named they changed it to. Oh and Canada's T series which might be overshadow by Canada Cup now)

Even with big numbers at Final Round Kurosu ended up with only $1800 cash and another $1000 pot bonus from EVO to come later in the mail.

I felt like last year everyone shot their load with the $10,0000 bonus (MK PDP, Revelations), and now it's back to normal. The only big money is going to come out of Capcom's anniversary tournament, and maybe EVO if they have a pot bonus but if they don't expect another $8k payout. < Which is good enough to bring international competitions, but tournaments that range from $1000-$2500 it's still hard.

I don't expect this Mad Catz tourney or any Cali tourney to hit 300+ players for the top game. Cali majors are actually kind of small compared to East Coast majors. I remember hearing that Revelations only got around 400 registered players in total while CEO on the other end of the coast(during the same weekend) got over 600 players. While Cali might have the biggest population, they're kind of out there on there own so there aren't many people from neighboring states to come down and enter unlike how it is in the East Coast.

BTW, Final Round is not the first non-EVO tourney with 400+ players for the top game. Season's Beatings from 2010 accomplished that first. It had 420 players for SSF4 and Gamerbee won, but from what I hear, he only got about $1400 and wasn't too happy about that. This was part of the reason why Ghaleon was the first of many TO's to up the registration fee for the top games to $20.

But back to the point, no I don't expect this Mad Catz tourney to be big like Final Round. But the company is throwing it so I do kind of expect them to at least try and get there top sponsored players there to rep the company for the first Major that they're throwing.

Just because Madcatz is sponsoring them doesn't mean they are being sponsored to fly all over the world at Markman's whims. Like I said, inviting Japanese stars over is no longer fashionable, Alex Valle started that trend in SCR and it's likely we wouldn't be seeing many foreign players outside a really big event like EVO.

Inviting isn't really that pivotal to whether they come or not. If they would like to attend a certain event and Mad Catz gives them the go ahead and takes care of the trip then they're going to go, at least that's how I assume it works. Last month Mago and Tokido went to France for WGC, Tokido got 1st and Mago got 2nd in AE. It looks like the gang will be heading to Australia again in May for Shadowloo Showdown. While Tokido is the only one of the 3 confirmed, the SS trailer also list "Team Mad Catz", which makes it sound like Mago will at least join him since Daigo never seems to want to go overseas anymore. But anyways, I figured Mad Catz would want there top guys there for the first major they're throwing. So if that's the case then I expect them to be there unless they couldn't make it. No, they don't go wherever they want whenever they want. But I figure if they're going to take a few trips overseas for tournaments, this should be one of them.

As for it being fashionable to invite foreign players, while it may not be "fashionable" anymore, these guys are definitely still a draw. They make things a little more interesting and exciting. What I don't expect to see much anymore from American TO's is for them to sponsor foreign players to attend there event out of there own pocket. Which is what I figured you meant anyways. But I still hope some American TO's will still try to reach out to some sponsored foreign players and see if they can get them to try and attend there event.

rivals

I've been playing on PC a bit lately again since my gf has been stealing the 360 for ME3. Hit me up for some matches if you ever see me on. Haven't played a Mak in a while so I'm probably rusty on the matchup.

Just because these guys are sponsored doesn't mean the sponsors have unlimited money in their bank accounts.... like you said Madcatz sponsors a ton of players and we have no idea what kind of arrangement they have with Tokido, Mago and Daigo. Nor do we have an idea as to what Madcatz hopes to achieve with their Championships. Either way both WCG and SS invited more than just Mago and Tokido, they invited a ton of foreign players. And I doubt the Team Madcatz Championships will be as big in scale as those tourneys.

I don't expect this Mad Catz tourney or any Cali tourney to hit 300+ players for the top game. Cali majors are actually kind of small compared to East Coast majors. I remember hearing that Revelations only got around 400 registered players in total while CEO on the other end of the coast(during the same weekend) got over 600 players. While Cali might have the biggest population, they're kind of out there on there own so there aren't many people from neighboring states to come down and enter unlike how it is in the East Coast.

BTW, Final Round is not the first non-EVO tourney with 400+ players for the top game. Season's Beatings from 2010 accomplished that first. It had 420 players for SSF4 and Gamerbee won, but from what I hear, he only got about $1400 and wasn't too happy about that. This was part of the reason why Ghaleon was the first of many TO's to up the registration fee for the top games to $20.

But back to the point, no I don't expect this Mad Catz tourney to be big like Final Round. But the company is throwing it so I do kind of expect them to at least try and get there top sponsored players there to rep the company for the first Major that they're throwing.

Good catch on SB forgot about that. Also Cali tournaments get less is because it's mostly Cali.

Big E's tournament usually end up being a ton of crews from NY, NJ, PA, and MD. While Cali is mostly in state guys plus a few guys (not crews) from OR, WA, AZ, and Utah.

USD: Wow that doesn't even look like Kayo or the Kayo I've seen in pictures. o.0 Well there's no tournaments in Seattle so I'm assuming it's her modeling gig probably.

USD

USD: Wow that doesn't even look like Kayo or the Kayo I've seen in pictures. o.0 Well there's no tournaments in Seattle so I'm assuming it's her modeling gig probably.

She's not wearing make-up, that's probably it. And yeah, pretty sure she wouldn't be going to Seattle for fighting games, haha.
I just need somewhere to dump random Kayo stuff, but I'm not obsessive enough to make a thread. :p

Krone will do just fine. He has shown that he has solid fundementals, despite using viper.

Latif on the other hand....well he's maining rufus in sfxt last i heard. Take that for what you will.

I wasn't referring to them being top players. I'm sure these guys will still be regulars in the top 8/16. But the way Krone handled Justin at Final Round and the way Latif and Krone blew up Japan at EVO and Canada Cup. No way do I see them being able to repeat that kind of stuff without Viper. Part of the reason these two looked good was not only there overall skills, but it was also the fact that they didn't have to block much. In fact they're rewarded for not blocking which is pretty absurd. Just look at GF between Justin and Krone at FR. Krone kept doing wake up reversal or blocked Justin's meaty and then do reversal burn kick. Justin adjusted by punishing with dive kick(which then resets there position), Krone just laughed it off and said "lol 60 damage, like that's going to make me stop".

That's why Viper disgusted me more then Seth, Akuma, or any other vortex character. It wasn't her wake up game, it wasn't the stun, it's not even her easy to land Ultra. It's the fact that she could reversal with little fear and avoid punishment if blocked. At least when Poongko did a bad DP with Seth, he got punished hard. A reversal BK from Viper and the best most characters can do without ultra is just a OS DP for 160 damage or whatever there move does.

Just because these guys are sponsored doesn't mean the sponsors have unlimited money in their bank accounts.... like you said Madcatz sponsors a ton of players and we have no idea what kind of arrangement they have with Tokido, Mago and Daigo. Nor do we have an idea as to what Madcatz hopes to achieve with their Championships. Either way both WCG and SS invited more than just Mago and Tokido, they invited a ton of foreign players. And I doubt the Team Madcatz Championships will be as big in scale as those tourneys.

Look, I get that, I'm not even saying anything like that. I'm just pointing out that the few trips they make out this year, I think this should be one of them. And it's a 3 day event, not just one. So it won't be Final Round big, but it's suppose to be a Major.

She's not wearing make-up, that's probably it. And yeah, pretty sure she wouldn't be going to Seattle for fighting games, haha.
I just need somewhere to dump random Kayo stuff, but I'm not obsessive enough to make a thread. :p

Putting a certain someone on blast like Kadey did :p ?

Threi

notag
I wasn't referring to them being top players. I'm sure these guys will still be regulars in the top 8/16. But the way Krone handled Justin at Final Round and the way Latif and Krone blew up Japan at EVO and Canada Cup. No way do I see them being able to repeat that kind of stuff without Viper. Part of the reason these two looked good was not only there overall skills, but it was also the fact that they didn't have to block much. In fact they're rewarded for not blocking which is pretty absurd. Just look at GF between Justin and Krone at FR. Krone kept doing wake up reversal or blocked Justin's meaty and then do reversal burn kick. Justin adjusted by punishing with dive kick(which then resets there position), Krone just laughed it off and said "lol 60 damage, like that's going to make me stop".

That's why Viper disgusted me more then Seth, Akuma, or any other vortex character. It wasn't her wake up game, it wasn't the stun, it's not even her easy to land Ultra. It's the fact that she could reversal with little fear and avoid punishment if blocked. At least when Poongko did a bad DP with Seth, he got punished hard. A reversal BK from Viper and the best most characters can do without ultra is just a OS DP for 160 damage or whatever there move does.
ah I gotcha. tis ssf4, the game everyone praises for being so balanced (lol)

I'm pretty much hopping from fighting game to fighting game these days and I think ... I'm gonna try to get back into the SSF4 series. Generally wasn't too happy with SFxTekken and the game really lacks a lot of the unique SF4 characters that I'd come to enjoy playing (Rose and Dan). Now that I have access to a stick I think I'm actually going to try to tackle a higher execution character like Gen too, it's something I didn't really think was feasible with a pad at the time and I'm excited to see how far I can take the character.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Last I spoke to him, MarkMan said he was gonna update us on the status of that tourney this coming week if I recall correctly.

In other news, I haven't been taking SFxT seriously at all, so I've just resorted to trolling online with Hugo's ridiculousness. Obviously it was the natural progression from Makoto-- 500 damage easy mode combos, threat of command grabs, and overall brainless play? I'm in there! :p

Hugo is about 100x more derp than Makoto :(

I'm pretty much hopping from fighting game to fighting game these days and I think ... I'm gonna try to get back into the SSF4 series. Generally wasn't too happy with SFxTekken and the game really lacks a lot of the unique SF4 characters that I'd come to enjoy playing (Rose and Dan). Now that I have access to a stick I think I'm actually going to try to tackle a higher execution character like Gen too, it's something I didn't really think was feasible with a pad at the time and I'm excited to see how far I can take the character.

Latif isn't someone new to the scene, he was one of the top Guilty Gear players in the US. He was dominating big time in almost all of his SFxT online matches posted on youtube. Of course transfering that dominance to offline matches against Justin and Co is a different challenge, but I won't bet on him doing very well if I were you.

Wolfkrone yeah, I am not very impressed with his SFxT play currently nor am I impressed by his play of characters other than Viper in AE. But yeah let's wait to see what he can do.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Latif isn't someone new to the scene, he was one of the top Guilty Gear players in the US. He was dominating big time in almost all of his SFxT online matches posted on youtube. Of course transfering that dominance to offline matches against Justin and Co is a different challenge, but I won't bet on him doing very well if I were you.

Wolfkrone yeah, I am not very impressed with his SFxT play currently nor am I impressed by his play of characters other than Viper in AE. But yeah let's wait to see what he can do.

Being one of the best GG players in the U.S. isn't necessarily saying much. I think there's a clear gap between guys like Justin Wong and Ricky Ortiz, who have both consistently had success across numerous games with large competitive scenes that were full of the top players, and Wolfkrone and Latif, who've mostly done well using Viper in SFIV.

Plenty of players had periods where the combination of their playstyle, their character choice, and the metagame align to make them a contender in a particular title. Far fewer are doing that over multiple titles and multiple years. I don't think Latif or Wolfkrone have earned the benefit of the doubt yet.

Being one of the best GG players in the U.S. isn't necessarily saying much. I think there's a clear gap between guys like Justin Wong and Ricky Ortiz, who have both consistently had success across numerous games with large competitive scenes that were full of the top players, and Wolfkrone and Latif, who've mostly done well using Viper in SFIV.

Plenty of players had periods where the combination of their playstyle, their character choice, and the metagame align to make them a contender in a particular title. Far fewer are doing that over multiple titles and multiple years. I don't think Latif or Wolfkrone have earned the benefit of the doubt yet.

What other modern fighter has Ricky played and done well in other than SF?

Hope you kids have been practicing....

See you at NCR this weekend!

If you're down to money match AE, Marvel, SFxT or something i'll post our room # in the NCR thread.

Me, XsK Samurai, MINE, X-Ray, Cynistar and a few others are all rooming together....come say whats up and play, drink, eat, hang....whatever, just have a good time.

Daigo, Fuudo, Mago, Tokido and Bonchan confirmed team for the 2nd Topanga 5vs5 charity tournament.

Daigo said he will be using Ryu since its not a major tournament.

Daigo, Fuudo, Mago, Tokido and Bonchan confirmed team for the 2nd Topanga 5vs5 charity tournament.

Daigo said he will be using Ryu since its not a major tournament.

Yep, I'm hyped for that tournament.

2 God teams have been formed.

Daigo, Fuudo, Mago, Tokido, and Bonchan

Sako, Uryo, Haitani, YHC Mochi, and Momochi

Satyamdas

Banned
Yun is free for Thawk so no.
1 matchup where he struggles and that means he can't possibly be a top 8 character? Nah. Other dude is right, Yun is still really good and if he isn't in the top 8 he's no lower than top 10. Personally I'd put him right outside the top 5 of Seth, Cammy, Viper, Fei and Makoto.

Top Bottom