• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Dude, if you live in upstate South Carolina near the border of NC and SC, come to Charlotte. A great guy named Tactiks holds a monthly tournament called the Rock'em Sock'em. He's been growing it over the past year and half and recently we've been averaging about 60-70 players per tourney. The Capcom 3 have strong turnouts, but even side games like KOF or MK have decent turnouts(10-15 range). So if you live close enough, come check it out. Me and Hitokage are regulars(ok, maybe not me, but I've been going recently) there so you won't be the only GAF'er around.

I have heard about the ReSe tournaments. Tactiks keeps the SC players up to date on them on facebook and SRK. If I stay in the upstate over the summer then I will surely try to make it out to one.

jbug617

Banned
So I played AE for the first time since SFXT came out and I got blown up. I kept trying to do chain combos and rolling forward with Sim.

cackhyena

Still can't believe how quickly I get people to join my room in this compared to SFxT. Figured it would be a wasteland. Been wrecking shop against even higher PP players. Feels good. Still da best FG around.

Got 2nd in my local's SFIV tourney. Same DeeJay player was in Grand Finals as last time, and he won just like last time too. :(

Hey Beef, I'll be in NorCal June 11-19, Stockton to be precise. It doesn't seem like Stockton has much of a scene, how is Sacramento? Do they hold monthly's or weekly's? I'd love to come down and check it out as well as participate. I'm not too keen on driving to the Bay area unless there is big event going on over there.

One other thing, I seriously have a problem when it comes to playing this game online. I guess you can say I get too addicted. Today I started playing at 5pm just to get a few games in and watch the rest of the Fight for Youth tournament. Half an hour or so turned into 6 hours. And I do this more often then I would like people to know. I'm constantly in a circle of "last one", "I need to make up for my last lost", I don't want to go out unless I really dominate", I"m not going on a loss, period". This is why I actually try not to touch the game too often because I get really lost in it sometimes. I love the game no doubt, but I think it's the sensation of playing complete strangers and the highs and lows I get from winning that makes me play this game so much online. I must admit, I never get like this when playing offline with friends or locals.

I just watched the entire video of the unused moves. At first I just watched the part with Dan. But damn, if you add the dive kick, teleport, and downward air dash to Oni he would shoot up the rankings so much. Possibly top 10, who knows but he would have definitely been quite a beast with those additions.

Knock him down.
Didn't work the several times I did.
Hey Beef, I'll be in NorCal June 11-19, Stockton to be precise. It doesn't seem like Stockton has much of a scene, how is Sacramento? Do they hold monthly's or weekly's? I'd love to come down and check it out as well as participate. I'm not too keen on driving to the Bay area unless there is big event going on over there.

Sacramento is fairly lively. There are weekly's at RAMNation's (which are often streamed...and I believe he moved recently but he's still in NorCal), the TAG monthlies which I go to, and some other stuff that I don't know off-hand but can be found on the SRK Pac North section.

ask someone who knows how to use him

Et9iQ.gif

cHaotix8

His wake up is just as bad as cody's. Bad backdash and slow reversals. Thats one of his main weaknesses. Also learn to react to his jump knee.

I imagine EX Sobat on wakeup would be pretty good in this matchup. I don't see T Hawk being able to punish that.

That matchup honestly sounds horrible. But then again, I'm of the mind that Dee Jay is much better than people give him credit for.

One of the things I'm proud of from the tournament yesterday is that I conditioned a Cody to stop randomly neutral jumping to avoid an SPD. That in turn allowed me to EX SPD after his jump-ins during the last set of loser's finals to get the win.

Got 2nd in my local's SFIV tourney. Same DeeJay player was in Grand Finals as last time, and he won just like last time too. :(

Take that top spot!

One other thing, I seriously have a problem when it comes to playing this game online. I guess you can say I get too addicted. Today I started playing at 5pm just to get a few games in and watch the rest of the Fight for Youth tournament. Half an hour or so turned into 6 hours. And I do this more often then I would like people to know. I'm constantly in a circle of "last one", "I need to make up for my last lost", I don't want to go out unless I really dominate", I"m not going on a loss, period". This is why I actually try not to touch the game too often because I get really lost in it sometimes. I love the game no doubt, but I think it's the sensation of playing complete strangers and the highs and lows I get from winning that makes me play this game so much online. I must admit, I never get like this when playing offline with friends or locals.

I get that problem too. I tell myself I'll do a few online games and then hours pass by when I need to be doing something else. I have been playing less and less online now in order to avoid that, plus my internet is crap.

I feel you on not wanting to got out on a loss, Rice-Eater.

Proud moment this weekend - I finally completed all 24 trials for one character (Bison). I have tried to get through them before with a bunch of different characters but would always give up frustrated if I didn't nail one within 10-15 tries. This time I was determined to succeed. A couple of them took me probably 30-40 attempts, but for the most part I can get through them all relatively easily now. That has helped tremendously with combo timing (for all characters) and execution.

Anyway, small feat for most I know but this was a real breakthrough for me!

Which trials did people find the hardest/easiest?

Proud moment this weekend - I finally completed all 24 trials for one character (Bison). I have tried to get through them before with a bunch of different characters but would always give up frustrated if I didn't nail one within 10-15 tries. This time I was determined to succeed. A couple of them took me probably 30-40 attempts, but for the most part I can get through them all relatively easily now. That has helped tremendously with combo timing (for all characters) and execution.

How the hell do you get through some of the combos?

How the hell do you get through some of the combos?

Which ones? I just kept trying over and over again. For the longer ones, I broke them down - get first two, then first three, then four, etc. Or I'd just practice move 4 into 5 if that part was giving me trouble.

Lhexh said:
I wanted to try dhalsim out and his trials are dumb easy.

IIRC they start out pretty easy through maybe 20 but the last few can be hard. I think they made them harder in Super (?) It's been a while since I tried a run through those though.

Which ones? I just kept trying over and over again. For the longer ones, I broke them down - get first two, then first three, then four, etc. Or I'd just practice move 4 into 5 if that part was giving me trouble.

That's how I trained myself to finish some of the characters longer combos. I broke them down in halfs or even 3rds(for the longer ones anyway). I just conditioned myself to press certain buttons and do certain motions that I wasn't use to at certain times. I'm a shoto player, so I'm using to doing shoto stuff. Stuff like the end of the Cody trials were confusing for me at first.

But so far I've completed 13 trials and I'm stuck on the last of 2 others(Dan and Mak). I've partially completed some other trials, but the other half I haven't even touched because I don't play charge characters and the lack of interest.

Oh and my local was this past Saturday. But I got lazy and didn't go but I checked out the results. Surprisingly SFxT took a big drop, from 34 last month in its debut to 18 this month. SF4 improved from 16 to 20(I would have made it 21 lol). And Marvel 3 took the top spot with 21. SF4 has been the dominant game in my area for some time now even after Marvel came out. But it looks like SF players are stuck choosing between SFxT and SF4. But it wouldn't surprise me if SF4 continues beating SFxT and eventually being the #1 game again at my local despite being the oldest of the Capcom 3.

you guys are so cool in this thread, I was expecting things like "Don't suck" "Go play something else" etc........

This is NeoGAF FGC, not SRK. Besides Saty(who I haven't seen post here in a while although he might because I said his name which is like the Bat signal to him) we're a pretty friendly bunch.

Oh rage mail time. Well actually it's not, just a guy who may or may not have taken me seriously when we played. Copy and pasted from SRK, which is where I first posted it

I played this 3k PP 10k BP Sakura player in ranked, I win the match and then he sends me this

Xboxcom.png

My thoughts are "whatever, I guess the guy is probably salty about losing to a player with lower points so he had to make a excuse about it". Honestly I didn't care to say anything back and I didn't, nor was I going to mention this.

But this is why I did afterall, I just played him again a few hours ago in endless. He comes in a room I'm in, I beat him and then he takes off immediately. Then he sends me this. This message is 3 days after he sent me the one above

Xboxcom2.png

At first was like "WTF, haven't I seen this already". I checked my older messages and realize that it's the same guy. I wonder if he knows that he already sent me a similar message? I won with Evil Ryu the first time, the 2nd time with Ken so who knows. Again I didn't send him a message to taunt him or anything, just don't care to do that kind of thing. I just got a kick out of this. I wonder if he does this to a lot of people he loses to or was he really taking it easy on me lol.

Though most of the stuff they make you do isn't useful to use in real matches, at least it helps you with execution. You can take bits and pieces out of the harder combos and convert them into more useful combos.

As for hardest / easiest, I thought Dudley's were easy to blow through, as well as T.Hawk's, Cody's, Akuma's, Fei's, and Rog's. The first time I went through them, the last characters that I had left to do were Fuerte, C.Viper, Gen, and maybe Abel. I have a couple of 2ndary accounts, and my OCD compels me to go through and finish them again (stupid SSF4 icon haha), and I get less hung up on them. It's all about repetition. Over and over and over and over. Truth be told, though, for me the hardest single trial was the last one for Ryu. The first time around, I had to cheat and add extra moves to complete it.

This is NeoGAF FGC, not SRK. Besides Saty(who I haven't seen post here in a while although he might because I said his name which is like the Bat signal to him) we're a pretty friendly bunch.

Oh rage mail time. Well actually it's not, just a guy who may or may not have taken me seriously when we played. Copy and pasted from SRK, which is where I first posted it

haha what a tool. Goes to show that you should never play against someone's "numbers." BP/PP aren't perfect indicators of skill.

Vesper Arcade has gone through all the trials. If you need help completing the trials I would check out his videos on youtube.

Hakan's is stupid easy even I completed it. Took me a while figure out you need oil for cr lk x 3 trial and I felt so dumb.

That was probably the only Hakan trial I got stuck on. He definitely has one of the easiest trials in the game.

SF4's trials are easier to do than Marvel's (as an example) because you're allowed to do whatever you want between the inputs that you are required to do before it's considered a do-over.

Imm0rt4l

You have more restraint than me. I would have told him to hold dat shit.

Axis

Saty's a nice guy, too. He helped me out in the first 2-3 months I started playing the game.

You have more restraint than me. I would have told him to hold dat shit.

I know many would, it's just not in my nature. I prefer to just ignore, when I have responded in the past it would usually be something nice just to see if I can get them to change there tune, which did actually work sometimes.

Saty's a nice guy, too. He helped me out in the first 2-3 months I started playing the game.

No, I didn't mean it that way. Just the way he comes off to people who aren't familiar with him, I guess it could be like Aris in a way. You know how he is, everything is cool. You don't and you might think he's a total asshole. I remember the first time I got a Xbox 360 and joined you guys in a endless. I also went into the GAF IRC chat and man Saty was giving you hell for playing Cammy. I was like "damn, this dude is nuts" lol. But yeah, Saty is a cool guy overall.

Top Bottom