• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Onemic

Courtesy of Zhi

Arcadia June edition AE tier rankings based on tourney results and player opinion up to mid-April:

A: Seth, Cammy, Fei Long, Adon

B :Ryu, Ken, E-Honda, Boxer, Claw, Sagat, Dictator, C.Viper, Rufus, Gouki, Sakura, Ibuki Makoto, Juri

C: Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Abel, Rose, Gen, Cody, Guy, Dudley, Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni

D. D: Chun, El.Fuerte, Gouken Dan, T.Hawk, Dee Jay, Hakan

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/may/01/kyoku-5th-ranked-yang-japan-arcades-tier-list/

Seth should have his own tier. And is it just me or are cammy's moves hella safe on block? Her DP is so hard to punish if blocked.

Courtesy of Zhi

Arcadia June edition AE tier rankings based on tourney results and player opinion up to mid-April:

B :Ryu, Ken, E-Honda, Boxer, Claw, Sagat, Dictator, C.Viper, Rufus, Gouki, Sakura, Ibuki Makoto, Juri

C: Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Abel, Rose, Gen, Cody, Guy, Dudley, Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/may/01/kyoku-5th-ranked-yang-japan-arcades-tier-list/

They clearly didn't consult KojiKOG or else he would've told them how "A" tier T.Hawk is, thereof, this list is invalid.

Edgeward

No, spiral arrow is incredibly unsafe unless at max distance and they even nerfed the distance she travels on a cannon spike on hit and block for AE

Now that we have a official tier to go by I can now talk about how hard it is to win with my character(Evil Ryu), but when I do win it feels so satisfying. Funny thing is I had a little discussion about him at SRK in the tier thread and several people stated that if he had a 5 frame sweep(like Ryu) and nothing else was changed about him, he would be too good. I understand there reasoning, it's just interesting to see how one change could mean so much to a character.

Onemic

Now that we have a official tier to go by I can now talk about how hard it is to win with my character(Evil Ryu), but when I do win it feels so satisfying. Funny thing is I had a little discussion about him at SRK in the tier thread and several people stated that if he had a 5 frame sweep(like Ryu) and nothing else was changed about him, he would be too good. I understand there reasoning, it's just interesting to see how one change could mean so much to a character.

Oh whats your username on SRK? I initiated that discussion as Ryu is my main and I've always loved E Ryu since his conception in the alpha series.

Oh whats your username on SRK? I initiated that discussion as Ryu is my main and I've always loved E Ryu since his conception in the alpha series.

But my SRK handle is "Rice_Eater". I use the same username for every place unless it doesn't make sense to do it(like my bank account).

Onemic

But my SRK handle is "Rice_Eater". I use the same username for every place unless it doesn't make sense to do it(like my bank account).

Oh you don't have an avy that's why. I just read your post and just didn't pay attention to the username lol.

I really want E Ryu to be my main, but I figure mastering Ryu first and then going to E Ryu later will be better.

Morris

Disco Devil
C Tier Yun is :(

Anyway, I've been coming back to this lately, it's still fun, way more fun that SFxT. Slowly getting my link consistency back.

There's still a lot of people in PSN who mash dat DP hella hard or people who play like idiots in general (JUMP BACK ALL DAY ERRDAY DOESN'T MATTER IF I PUNISH IT WITH UPKICKS EVERY TIME). It's not as fun when you're just playing Bait Fighter IV.

When you find someone who is at least decent though, the game is a blast to play...

I haven't been on PSN in a while, I didn't know you were still running Yun Floyd. I thought he was a side character you played around with and Duds was still your main. He is listed as C-tier, but I really find that hard to believe. Even though he got nerfed, all his tools are still there and work great. He's just not as brain dead easy anymore, but if you got one, he's still a great character and a pain in the ass to fight against. Myself personally I still think he's up there. If not top tier then definitely upper mid.

Oh you don't have an avy that's why. I just read your post and just didn't pay attention to the username lol.

I really want E Ryu to be my main, but I figure mastering Ryu first and then going to E Ryu later will be better.

I mainly lurk SRK, although I try to contribute to the Evil Ryu forum as much as possible. As for picking characters, Ryu is the best character to choose to learn the game but Evil Ryu is a good starting character to IMO. You may have a harder time winning with him, but all the basics you can learn from using Ryu can also be applied to Evil Ryu as well. They have their differences, but it won't have to do with learning the basics of this game.

Courtesy of Zhi

So many characters are lower than they should be.

Imm0rt4l

C Tier Yun is :(

Anyway, I've been coming back to this lately, it's still fun, way more fun that SFxT. Slowly getting my link consistency back.

There's still a lot of people in PSN who mash dat DP hella hard or people who play like idiots in general (JUMP BACK ALL DAY ERRDAY DOESN'T MATTER IF I PUNISH IT WITH UPKICKS EVERY TIME). It's not as fun when you're just playing Bait Fighter IV.

When you find someone who is at least decent though, the game is a blast to play...
Did you try any of the competition in the new chat I invited you to?

cHaotix8

Cammy is good because you can't focus against her, hard as hell to anti air her when she has meter, and her walkspeed coupled with her overall decent normals gives her pretty decent footsies. Not to mention she has a pretty good mixup when she knocks you down. Definitely a strong character but I'd put her as 5th best at the highest.

And then I look and see how low Dee Jay is. The hell is up with that tier list?

It's like a 1-man tier list. Interesting to hear his opinion, but it's hardly concrete.

This is like the 2nd or 3rd time Vega has been rated so high though. Wonder why the Japanese think he's suddenly so good.

Seeing Yang close to bottom tier? Tier list made by a Yang player? I see a connection.

Morris

Disco Devil
I haven't been on PSN in a while, I didn't know you were still running Yun Floyd. I thought he was a side character you played around with and Duds was still your main. He is listed as C-tier, but I really find that hard to believe. Even though he got nerfed, all his tools are still there and work great. He's just not as brain dead easy anymore, but if you got one, he's still a great character and a pain in the ass to fight against. Myself personally I still think he's up there. If not top tier then definitely upper mid.

Yeah, I still play Duds, just not as much as I'd like to. Getting out footsie'd to hell and back by good Ryu players sucks :c

As for Yun, I just think he's fun as hell to play with, everything is still there minus the bullshit that made him OP. I suck at making the godlike reads Kazunoko always makes, and I drop links in crucial situations, so i'm not that good with him anyway. He's super fun to use though.

Did you try any of the competition in the new chat I invited you to?

Oh, I completely forgot about that. Mind sending an invite to my other account? (FloydM7)

Will add you there tomorrow!

Finding it hard to level up at the moment. For my sins I've chosen Rose as a main (C tier, and 1f link bnbs ftw) because I love her play style and moves, plus I'm sick of playing Ryu.

Trying to level on Euro PSN is a nightmare. I'm either being placed against 10-20kBP folks who steam-roll me or complete mashers. Either way I don't feel I'm learning anything. I went to some casuals for the first time at the weekend and that was a great help but they're only every fortnight near me.

Not sure how best to proceed. Sitting in training mode practising my links will only go so far :-/

On another note, while I enjoyed SFxT for a month it really feels like home coming back to AE.

Wtf happened to Chun? Thanks for those unnecessary nerfs Capcom!!!

Don't know, but I still lose to her all the freaking time. She out footsies me, if she throws a fireball and I don't answer immediately I have to deal with overhead/sweep or some kind of safe pressure, Ultra 1 shuts down my fireballs, backdash escapes everything, and EX bird takes care of any kind of jump in(besides safe jumps). Even on block I hate how you don't have much time to punish. I just find her extremely frustrating to fight.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I thought hito was a Hawk player.
he was.

Hito's like that guy who breaks up with his girlfriend by telling her he isnt a charge character kind of guy and wants to churn butter with t hawk.
and chun just ran into him at the mall dating a more flexible special move woman a year later.

so yeah, chun feels kinda down.

Last time I played Hito at the local tournament, he was mainly Chun/Hawk. He did use Juri as well, but not as much as the other two.

last i talked to him about street fighter he told me he was a juri player.

XenoRaven

Everyone leaves eventually. It's all very sad. It's ok though. I'll never leave you Chun. Even in Marvel when you're really bad. <3

And Rice, maybe I'm just terrible but my EX SBKs get beat by Ryu jump-ins pretty often. Not sure what E. Ryu's comparable normals are, but try a j. LK if you think the Chun is going to reversal. I've eaten j. HKs from Ryu trying to EX SBK too though. Also I'm pretty sure E. Ryu dive kick can beat it if you time it right.

I guess it's really a perspective thing. But I've always felt that the only thing really great about EX SBK is the fact that it beats most crossups. Apart from that, it gets beat by a lot of stuff.

OK so I finally got around to playing this game yesterday. I started off by completing all of Sakura's trials to get a hang of her and I really like her game play. Is SRK the place to go to get a definitive guide on her? Any tips for a new Sakura player. She was my fav in Alpha 3 but that was like 12 years ago.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
OK so I finally got around to playing this game yesterday. I started off by completing all of Sakura's trials to get a hang of her and I really like her game play. Is SRK the place to go to get a definitive guide on her? Any tips for a new Sakura player. She was my fav in Alpha 3 but that was like 12 years ago.

every shunpakyu save med is safe on block.
it combos from every close normal. [c.mk is range dependant]

so just shunpakyu every time anything hits anything. there's really no reason not to.

oh and all of her jabs and light kicks are 3 framers [unless they changed that], so feel free to poke them out sometimes. blocked shunpakyu's can often net you a s.lk or c.lk hit into... another shunpakyu!

fireball is okay, can be useful in some matchups or when people forget she has one.
srk only useful off a c.mk.

otoshi is pretty useless.
ex shunpakyu mixups are god mode.
cr.hp is the best anti air normal ever made.
s.hk is a surprisingly good keep away normal.
saks backdash is airborne when it comes out of invincibility

so just shunpakyu every time anything hits anything. there's really no reason not to.

oh and all of her jabs and light kicks are 3 framers [unless they changed that], so feel free to poke them out sometimes. blocked shunpakyu's can often net you a s.lk or c.lk hit into... another shunpakyu!

fireball is okay, can be useful in some matchups or when people forget she has one.
srk only useful off a c.mk.

otoshi is pretty useless.
ex shunpakyu mixups are god mode.
cr.hp is the best anti air normal ever made.
s.hk is a surprisingly good keep away normal.
saks backdash is airborne when it comes out of invincibility

thanks!

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Wait, Adon? Really?

Also, Ken's finally considered as good as Ryu? What changed?

The case for Adon:

- Solid Street Fighter base since he's an old character design (he's footsies-centric at his core in contrast to the largely brain-dead mix-up characters introduced in SFIV)
- Has SFIV-centric tools (FADC-able invincible DP, practical ways to discourage focus attacks, and an ambiguous jumping forward kick that gives him a poor man's vortex)
- Is strong in the metagame (his worst match-ups are almost all against weaker and lesser-used characters)

If Adon's a top-tier character - and I think he is - it's a testament to AE2012's balance because he's nowhere near overpowered. Adon has some clear strengths, some clear weaknesses, some good match-ups, a whole bunch of even match-ups, and some bad match-ups. He's a proper Street Fighter character.

Threi

notag

what a solid gameplan!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
what a solid gameplan!
priorities, man.

shunpakyu all the things is #1
which leads into: landing more shunpakyus as #2
which leads into: i wish i could shunpakyu a max range cr.mk... as #3
which leads into: keeping ambiguous with my shunpakyu's as #4
which leads into: keeping us both on our feet to land more shunpakyu's as #5
and finally: oh my god i will never eat a jump in again AND this thing shunpakyus! as #6

bonus round: i wanna shunpakyu off my overhead, fix this shit capcom!

its not like bison where you can win with just focus, dash and s.hk

Wtf happened to Chun? Thanks for those unnecessary nerfs Capcom!!!

If Nuki of all people dropped Chun, then you know your character is fucked.

Personally, having witnessed and experienced the terror she unleashed for over 10 years in 3S, I can't find much sympathy for her.

LakeEarth

Personally, having witnessed and experienced the terror she unleashed for over 10 years in 3S, I can't find much sympathy for her.
Ahh yes, 3s Chun was the epitome of complexity and smart play.

FP
b.FP
d.mk into super
meaty UOH into super

Congrats, you're now awesome at 3rd Strike. Had no idea the 2012 patch hurt her so bad.

Top Bottom