• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Nyoro SF

Does Hakan have an unblockable/inescapable move? I was playing one the other day and got caught in his mixup where he does that diving grab move. The only way I didn't get caught was if I did an EX move to GTFO of there. If I blocked low, he grabbed me upon my wake up. If I neutral jump, he grabs me, too (but that's usually how he gets you: no block, block high, or jumping).

Blocking low would ordinarily work but for some reason, this one guy's Hakan kept getting me regardless of how I blocked.

In SF4 when you stand up after a knockdown your first frame is uncrouchable.

In order to avoid getting grabbed on the frame where you can't crouch you have to wake up with a normal attack (low short most popular option) as this cancels the uncrouchable frame and allows you to avoid the Oil Drive grab.

MIMIC

Banned

In order to avoid getting grabbed on the frame where you can't crouch you have to wake up with a normal attack (low short most popular option) as this cancels the uncrouchable frame and allows you to avoid the Oil Drive grab.

Wow...didn't know that. Next time I'll be ready for Hakan and his oily shenanigans!

I thought my controller was fucked up, lol

Onemic

Anyone on stick have an issue where playing on one side is a lot weaker/harder than the other? I use the wine glass grip with the stick placed between my ring and middle finger and I find that movement on my right side is a lot more sloppy than movement on my left. qcf's, qcb's, ultra's etc. Are always a pain to do on the right side and its come to the point where I train in the lab with my character only facing right. FADC to ultra for instance, I was able to roughly get a feel for the left side in about 10 minutes. On the right side I've spent the past 2 days exclusively working on the motions(ryu's FADC to ultra specifically) and I'm still better at doing it on the left side, which I've only practiced no more than half an hour on than my right side which I've easily put 3+ hours in.

So THAT'S why I kept getting grabbed by it. I just got tired of it and did Hawk's medium SRK because it's ungrabbable.

Anyone on stick have an issue where playing on one side is a lot weaker/harder than the other? I use the wine glass grip with the stick placed between my ring and middle finger and I find that movement on my right side is a lot more sloppy than movement on my left. qcf's, qcb's, ultra's etc. Are always a pain to do on the right side and its come to the point where I train in the lab with my character only facing right. FADC to ultra for instance, I was able to roughly get a feel for the left side in about 10 minutes. On the right side I've spent the past 2 days exclusively working on the motions(ryu's FADC to ultra specifically) and I'm still better at doing it on the left side, which I've only practiced no more than half an hour on than my right side which I've easily put 3+ hours in.

I have exactly the same problem, but only with Ryu's FADC > Ultra while on the right side. I main Rose and don't have the same problem with Reflect > FADC Soul Throw or any of her other FADCs.

It's just Ryu. Stupid Ryu.

rCIZZLE

I used to have a problem with the other side where I couldn't always get the dash off. After I started using the side of my ring finger to dash instead of my palm it got fixed. Are you able to get the dash but end up with ex shoryuken instead of ultra most of the time?

So THAT'S why I kept getting grabbed by it. I just got tired of it and did Hawk's medium SRK because it's ungrabbable.

Same reason why people get thrown by Cammy's hooligan on wake up. I kept yelling at loud "I'm crouching, how am I being grabbed". Then I learned that wake up normals will beat it. So if a Cammy is not standing right next to me, I will wake up jab just in case they're trying to set up a hooligan throw against me.

Onemic

I used to have a problem with the other side where I couldn't always get the dash off. After I started using the side of my ring finger to dash instead of my palm it got fixed. Are you able to get the dash but end up with ex shoryuken instead of ultra most of the time?

yup, either an ex shoryuken or an ex Haduken. Its gotten better, but it still is nowhere near being consistent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, like, the other day I got into this same argument again - one I got into LONG ago. I feel that people can only really learn beyond the bare minimum by playing against other people, and my friend was just fuming about it, wanting more from the computer. When I had the argument once long ago, a friend was kind enough to have recorded it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc-oGVL-jlo

So having the same kind of argument again, yesterday, and the other person couldn't wrap his head around what I mean. So, long story short - do you think people can get to a reasonably competent level by not playing against people better than them? Or is it both?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Same reason why people get thrown by Cammy's hooligan on wake up. I kept yelling at loud "I'm crouching, how am I being grabbed". Then I learned that wake up normals will beat it. So if a Cammy is not standing right next to me, I will wake up jab just in case they're trying to set up a hooligan throw against me.

Pretty sure it's only wakeup crouch normals. Wakeup stand normals won't work if they do it right.

Onemic

So, like, the other day I got into this same argument again - one I got into LONG ago. I feel that people can only really learn beyond the bare minimum by playing against other people, and my friend was just fuming about it, wanting more from the computer. When I had the argument once long ago, a friend was kind enough to have recorded it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc-oGVL-jlo

So having the same kind of argument again, yesterday, and the other person couldn't wrap his head around what I mean. So, long story short - do you think people can get to a reasonably competent level by not playing against people better than them? Or is it both?

I agree in certain respects. If you face someone so above your caliber, it's next to impossible to learn anything from the match as theres far too much to take in to why you lost in the first place. This is why people completely new to fighting games playing SSFIV for the first time and get their asses kicked by dude in the 4000pp range are more likely to quit than continue playing. Their level of play is so much higher than your own that you can't wrap your head around what you did wrong and how to improve. On the other hand, playing better players that are still around the same skill level than you is required to get better at the game, as it's at a level that you can more easily see areas to improve and things are less likely to go over your head.

In short playing better players is required to get better, but it will only be effective if they are still around your general skill level. A newbie will learn next to nothing from playing against Daigo, but they would learn a whole lot more from playing against me or some others on this forum.

MIMIC

Banned

Reasonably competent level? Sure. Competitive? No.

EdMa's Sagat/Guy ;_;

and his Elf ;_;

Cool thing about EdMa is that he'll keep playing you even though he's beating your ass with every character on the roster.

Onemic

For all you E Ryu players what would be his most useful ultra, 1 or 2? I find that FADC into ultra 2 doesn't do the full ultra even when the first hit lands.

For all you E Ryu players what would be his most useful ultra, 1 or 2? I find that FADC into ultra 2 doesn't do the full ultra even when the first hit lands.

So in other words, you're just asking me(that's how far the number of GAF E.Ryu players go)? They both have there pros and cons. When you FADC into ultra, the damage difference isn't a big deal. At max damage it's 30 difference, equivalent to a jab. U1 is easier to land overall while U2 is his best choice for punishes and is great for anti-air'ing opponents from further ranges. Something his normal DP wouldn't be able to punish. Match up wise, I don't really see many matches where one should be the preferred Ultra over the other.

IMO you can't really go wrong with either. But if I were to give the edge to one, it would be Ultra 2. But that's only if you can use it effectively beyond the typical stuff(like SRK, FADC). Being able to use it for anti-airs or punishing stuff on block or whiff whenever you have the opportunity is when it will really pay off. Ultra 1 is more beginner friendly as it can be used exactly the same way as Ryu's Ultra 1, which has been around since Vanilla.

Onemic

So in other words, you're just asking me(that's how far the number of GAF E.Ryu players go)? They both have there pros and cons. When you FADC into ultra, the damage difference isn't a big deal. At max damage it's 30 difference, equivalent to a jab. U1 is easier to land overall while U2 is his best choice for punishes and is great for anti-air'ing opponents from further ranges. Something his normal DP wouldn't be able to punish. Match up wise, I don't really see many matches where one should be the preferred Ultra over the other.

IMO you can't really go wrong with either. But if I were to give the edge to one, it would be Ultra 2. But that's only if you can use it effectively beyond the typical stuff(like SRK, FADC). Being able to use it for anti-airs or punishing stuff on block or whiff whenever you have the opportunity is when it will really pay off. Ultra 1 is more beginner friendly as it can be used exactly the same way as Ryu's Ultra 1, which has been around since Vanilla.

Well then I guess so, lol.

Ya FADC into ultra 2 is quite trickier to pull off than ultra 1. So ultra 2 can be used in AA situations, punishing on whiffs/blocks and the basic FADC in ultra? And are the combos in the OP SRK combo thread good? You replied to one of the posts I made where I was practicing the combo on vega and it didn't work as it was character specific, but yet was not mentioned as being such even though it was under his basic BnB's.

Imm0rt4l

Man getting back into playing this game after not playing sfxt for a month, I have to say there is one thing that sfxt has over this game. You can't get randomed out as easily as you can in ssf4. You can sometimes get away with just doing really dumb shit and the game will sometimes reward you. Even then this game>>>>

finally got to playing after a long while, and wouldn't you know it, I run into imm0rtal, and proceed to get molested by dat gouken. ggs man

ggs bro, it was fun. It seems everyone migrated from the gfaqs chat to the fgc chat on psn, add me on whichever account you want so I can send you an invite to the chatroom.

Man getting back into playing this game after not playing sfxt for a month, I have to say there is one thing that sfxt has over this game. You can't get randomed out as easily as you can in ssf4. You can sometimes get away with just doing really dumb shit and the game will sometimes reward you. Even then this game>>>>

ggs bro, it was fun. It seems everyone migrated from the gfaqs chat to the fgc chat on psn, add me on whichever account you want so I can send you an invite to the chatroom.

That person that was on with us in the lobby was so freaking random. To the point where I was asking myself, "Is this some next level mind game shit, or is he just rolling the dice and getting really lucky?" Luckily, Sim can zone out that mess pretty easily
and still manage to throw a round away once they get in, no matter how much of a life lead I have LOL

Imm0rt4l

That person that was on with us in the lobby was so freaking random. To the point where I was asking myself, "Is this some next level mind game shit, or is he just rolling the dice and getting really lucky?" Luckily, Sim can zone out that mess pretty easily
and still manage to throw a round away once they get in, no matter how much of a life lead I have LOL

Yea that guy was so random, it was amazing to see how effective his dumb shit was working. It was especially offputting since I was playing a legitimately strong oni just earlier today. The other guy that came in that played Deejay and Cody was legit though, too bad the connection wasn't strong with you and him though.

You replied to one of the posts I made where I was practicing the combo on vega and it didn't work as it was character specific, but yet was not mentioned as being such even though it was under his basic BnB's.

I know what you're talking about, that needs to be moved. Only stuff that works on the entire cast should be listed in listed in the BNB section IMO. The thing is most people who plays these characters pretty much knows what you can and can't do against certain characters so they don't care to go look at the sticky'd threads for info. Thus old and unreliable info remains there and goes unchanged.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
watching dbj made me long for the good old days with sak.

now i just cheese things out with hakan, i miss you sak. ;_;

Top Bottom