• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Onemic

Yes, if your opponent is in front of you and jumps to your backside, you have to hold forward, which then becomes your new backside after you block the cross up. Hopefully that didn't confuse you. As for you getting hit, it will only be a cross up if they actually go over you. There are exceptions though, stuff like the shoto jumping LK is pretty ambiguous and can hit from the front while the character still falls behind his opponent. There are also unblockables, fake cross ups, and cross ups that don't hit as a cross up to worry about. But you probably won't find yourself in those scenarios too often so it's not something you should be too concerned about right now if you're still learning.

ah, I'll just keep practicing it then.

One big question that I've always had and that has always alluded me is the application of combos in a game. Doing combos in the lab is never a problem for me,(Ive even got the FADC to ultra combo on my weaker right side down now for the most part) but doing them in a game is a compeltly different story as I can never put myself or my opponent in a situation where I can hit confirm into a combo as I'm never in a close enough range to do so. The only one I can do is Ryu's option select of cr medium kick to haduken, and thats simply because it's an option select and the range of the cr med kick is pretty far so I don't have to be right up in my opponents face like 95% of Ryu's(or anyones) combos.

One big question that I've always had and that has always alluded me is the application of combos in a game. Doing combos in the lab is never a problem for me,(Ive even got the FADC to ultra combo on my weaker right side down now for the most part) but doing them in a game is a compeltly different story as I can never put myself or my opponent in a situation where I can hit confirm into a combo as I'm never in a close enough range to do so. The only one I can do is Ryu's option select of cr medium kick to haduken, and thats simply because it's an option select and the range of the cr med kick is pretty far so I don't have to be right up in my opponents face like 95% of Ryu's(or anyones) combos.

applying combos in a match just comes from experience. for example, if you start a particular combo with jumping roundhouse/fierce, you can't just keeping jumping in and hope to connect eventually. you've got to make a good read or good guess on when it would be safe to jump, or if you baited your opponent into whiffing a dp, you can go in for a damaging combo.

im not a ryu main, but i think fundamentally he plays a zoning game, so your focus at the moment should be to keep people away with fireballs and his gdlk anti air normals. when you get more comfortable with the matchups, you should be able to utilize your combos when making correct reads and punishes.

Onemic

applying combos in a match just comes from experience. for example, if you start a particular combo with jumping roundhouse/fierce, you can't just keeping jumping in and hope to connect eventually. you've got to make a good read or good guess on when it would be safe to jump, or if you baited your opponent into whiffing a dp, you can go in for a damaging combo.

im not a ryu main, but i think fundamentally he plays a zoning game, so your focus at the moment should be to keep people away with fireballs and his gdlk anti air normals. when you get more comfortable with the matchups, you should be able to utilize your combos when making correct reads and punishes.

hmmm so essentially the main way to start off a combo with any character is through a jump in? I thought jump ins were generally frowned upon unless you are going for a cross up or are dive kicking as they are easily punishable?

And I pretty much play the zoning game exclusively with Ryu, but because of that I've never been able to use a single Ryu combo I've practiced in the lab. And of course some of the other characters I've practiced combos with(Yun and E Ryu) I have the same problem and they're less zoning based(Yun has no zoning game).

MIMIC

Banned
A question on crossups. Are you supposed to block the opposite direction that the crossup is coming, or does the game still register the hit as being on the same side when the crossup hits? I always try blocking the opposite direction of the crossup and find that I can never block the hit and don't know if it's due to me not blocking in time or the crossup still registering as being on the same side from when they first jumped.

Just to add.....

Think of blocking as defending AWAY from your opponent: someone's trying to hit your front? Use back to block. Someone trying to hit your back (cross-up)? Use forward to block.

Also, make sure you are holding FORWARD to block cross ups and not down-forward.

Additionally, some character's have jump-ins that cover more ground than others (like Gen & Guy). A jump in from Chun-Li at a certain distance won't be a cross-up, but a jump-in from Gen or Guy from the same distance WILL be a cross-up. The more you play, you'll see how small things like that vary from character to character.

When practicing in the lab, do you have a set x rep patter? Like practicing a specific combo for a certain amount of reps, like 10, for a certain number of sets, like 3. I used to do this and it helped me a lot with execution and muscle memory.

After hitting the lab you could practice those combos in the CPU. This way you are practicing your combos on a moving target and getting an idea of how to punish moves.

It is important to understand zoning with Ryu, but I also think that he can pressure well. If you get a good read and are able to jump in, you can start frame trapping and pressuring with jab and cr. mp.

hmmm so essentially the main way to start off a combo with any character is through a jump in? I thought jump ins were generally frowned upon unless you are going for a cross up or are dive kicking as they are easily punishable?

And I pretty much play the zoning game exclusively with Ryu, but because of that I've never been able to use a single Ryu combo I've practiced in the lab. And of course some of the other characters I've practiced combos with(Yun and E Ryu) I have the same problem and they're less zoning based(Yun has no zoning game).

yes fundamentally, jumping in is frowned upon because you lose a lot of options as aopposed to just walking forward, but you have to be able to read your opponent in order to safely jump in. like when i jump in against a ryu, i make sure i am at the right space to not get hit by a followup, or if im close enough, i try to time when he throws a fireball and jump over it and being a combo with jumping fierce/roundhouse. there's some skill anf luck involved with correctly jumping in on an opponent.

starting a combo with a jump-in is typically done to ensure optimal damage in most cases. for example, if you're ryu (full meters) and your opponent whiffs a dp, it's more beneficial damage-wise to just dash up and dp fadc ultra, instead of starting the combo off with a jumping mk/fierce/etc.

Well, jump-ins are one of the easier ways to start a combo, but depending on the level of your opponent, it involves the proper timing and reading on your part. And as far as them being "frowned upon," not really. If you can get away with jumping in on your opponent time after time without fear of being punished, then sure go right ahead. But more likely than not, it's just gonna translate to free damage for your opponent who's gonna take each opportunity to anti-air you each time.

Are you on PSN or XBL?

Onemic

When practicing in the lab, do you have a set x rep patter? Like practicing a specific combo for a certain amount of reps, like 10, for a certain number of sets, like 3. I used to do this and it helped me a lot with execution and muscle memory.

After hitting the lab you could practice those combos in the CPU. This way you are practicing your combos on a moving target and getting an idea of how to punish moves.

It is important to understand zoning with Ryu, but I also think that he can pressure well. If you get a good read and are able to jump in, you can start frame trapping and pressuring with jab and cr. mp.

Never tried this before. So sorta like working out huh? I will definitely include this in my lab practice. I usually don't practice against the CPU because I keep hearing people say that it isn't beneficial as an online opponent reacts completely differently than a computer, but it always made no sense to me for someone who is just trying to get a feel for applying combos. I'll definitely begin to do this now.

Well, jump-ins are one of the easier ways to start a combo, but depending on the level of your opponent, it involves the proper timing and reading on your part. And as far as them being "frowned upon," not really. If you can get away with jumping in on your opponent time after time without fear of being punished, then sure go right ahead. But more likely than not, it's just gonna translate to free damage for your opponent who's gonna take each opportunity to anti-air you each time.

Are you on PSN or XBL?

PSN. usernames onem1c.

cHaotix8

If you're just starting the game/new character and don't readily have access to players of a lower skill level than yourself then practicing your combos against the computer is really good practice. It'll get you used to performing well with your character to an extent, since they will usually punish you hard if you mess something up. Unfortunately, the computer isn't good for much other than that since they always do the same thing in any given situation.

Something more important than landing combos in this game, especially as a Ryu player, is anti airing. Ryu is one of the few characters in the game that you should never be able to jump in on. Practice anti airing every jump-in in every match you play and you'll make huge progress in your ground game. Know when to use far st. hk (usually when they jump from far enough away to make DP whiff) and when to use DP. If you do a cr. mk and they happen to jump over it, you should almost always have enough time to do a DP to catch the jump in, so always be ready for it. You should never have to block if you know someone is going to cross you up with Ryu. all you have to do is learn how to crosscut DP, which is essentially going from down forward, down, down back, back, up back + MP. You can practice by going in training mode, Recording the CPU to do a crossup jump in, then punish it. Throw the FADC xx Ultra practice in there two and kill two birds with one stone! If you learn this stuff first you'll be wrecking fools in no time.

Onemic

If you're just starting the game/new character and don't readily have access to players of a lower skill level than yourself then practicing your combos against the computer is really good practice. It'll get you used to performing well with your character to an extent, since they will usually punish you hard if you mess something up. Unfortunately, the computer isn't good for much other than that since they always do the same thing in any given situation.

Something more important than landing combos in this game, especially as a Ryu player, is anti airing. Ryu is one of the few characters in the game that you should never be able to jump in on. Practice anti airing every jump-in in every match you play and you'll make huge progress in your ground game. Know when to use far st. hk (usually when they jump from far enough away to make DP whiff) and when to use DP. If you do a cr. mk and they happen to jump over it, you should almost always have enough time to do a DP to catch the jump in, so always be ready for it. You should never have to block if you know someone is going to cross you up with Ryu. all you have to do is learn how to crosscut DP, which is essentially going from down forward, down, down back, back, up back + MP. You can practice by going in training mode, Recording the CPU to do a crossup jump in, then punish it. Throw the FADC xx Ultra practice in there two and kill two birds with one stone! If you learn this stuff first you'll be wrecking fools in no time.

So in what situations would you use SRK, vs cr HP? I see some Ryu players use c.HP almost exclusively in some matches.

Onemic

Sorry about that Log, my connection is unstable as fuck since I'm on wireless and it just d/c'd on me. I'll be back on after the lakers game and hopefully it'll be a bit more stable. Man are your jump ins extremely hard to read and react to.

knee

A maximum shirt would be perfect for that.

Haha-- I main DeeJay when play so all of this DeeJay love is new to me. I thought of a maximum shirt, but I didn't think anyone would bite. I'm going to add that to the next batch of designs for sure. I owe you a Maximum shirt when I run them!

I have other designs up if anyone wants to peruse.

Shameless plug: http://drawp.com

i3h91j9xUlJfu.png

My word is good! I'll have these in time for CEO2012. If you're going, come see me at my table.

Otherwise, PM me your shirt size and I'll mail one out to you.

Everyone else, check out http://drawp.com for my other FGC shirts.

notworksafe

That Hold Dat shirt is too funny, man. I'm in for one!

Edit: And I put the wrong shipping address...Paypal always defaults to my parent's house for some reason. :(

cHaotix8

So in what situations would you use SRK, vs cr HP? I see some Ryu players use c.HP almost exclusively in some matches.

Cr. HP can be used on some crossups, like shoto tatsu, but mostly it's used for characters that can change their jump arc to be really dumb, like Sakura. You're going to want to DP most of the time though because it gets you a knockdown with a lower chance of trading/losing.

Are there any guides/pictures of all of the costumes (including dlc) and their colors? I know event hubs has one but it's incomplete... Are their others?

Sorry about that Log, my connection is unstable as fuck since I'm on wireless and it just d/c'd on me. I'll be back on after the lakers game and hopefully it'll be a bit more stable. Man are your jump ins extremely hard to read and react to.

yeah ggs.

When you've got your opponent in the corner, don't back away and let them out. I noticed instances where you'd have me in the corner, after scoring hard knockdown and you'd back off.

Nopren

I used to have Super Street Fighter 4 for 360, and later sold it. If I buy the Arcade edition will my old costume packs and progress carry over?

Onemic

yeah ggs.

When you've got your opponent in the corner, don't back away and let them out. I noticed instances where you'd have me in the corner, after scoring hard knockdown and you'd back off.

Ya, I notice myself doing that sometimes. It's mainly because I'm not really sure of how to keep pressure in the corner with Ryu.

LakeEarth

Ya, I notice myself doing that sometimes. It's mainly because I'm not really sure of how to keep pressure in the corner with Ryu.

Simple stuff, like stay just outside of range and 'shuffle', if they walk forward go straight into a low poke, if they jump, SRK. Keep them in there for as long as possible. You could go in for pressure, but when cornered people online tend to go nuts.

Well...

Simple stuff, like stay just outside of range and 'shuffle', if they walk forward go straight into a low poke, if they jump, SRK. Keep them in there for as long as possible. You could go in for pressure, but when cornered people online tend to go nuts.

Try out what LakeEarth said. If anything, just sit there and watch them. Observe what they do. People will often have a routine when put into certain positions. I'll be on tonight if you're down for some more casuals.

25th anniversary set is so bought.

I can't justify it, I have all the games. I've seen all the animations and own some of them. This is great for people who don't have any of this, but not for the long time fans who are just re-buying half/most of this stuff. I'd rather put the money into a new stick if given the choice.

Hey Izuna, if you see this, good shit for showing up and taking the challenge despite not playing the game for months. I know they were going in hard on you on the stream. F-Word still seemed pretty furious about the whole thing even after he won. Don't know if you have the desire to play anymore, but I hope you come back strong and run it back with F-Word in the future.

And WTF Black Vegeta? That was a very short retirement if you want to call it that. Good to see you back though even though you were never really gone :p

Edgeward

Celebrating the 25 years of SF with only games from past 10+ years isnt what I wanted. Needs the alpha games and the original SF2, at the very least ST and Alpha 2. And they could also do another go around on SF3Oe and improve the netcode more or give me back access to play it online on pc again.

Izuna

Banned
Hey Izuna, if you see this, good shit for showing up and taking the challenge despite not playing the game for months. I know they were going in hard on you on the stream. F-Word still seemed pretty furious about the whole thing even after he won. Don't know if you have the desire to play anymore, but I hope you come back strong and run it back with F-Word in the future.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ibuki-player-guide-book.139593/page-8

No I was hoping for an excuse to stop playing.

Aedile

Celebrating the 25 years of SF with only games from past 10+ years isnt what I wanted.

It probably wouldn't have been possible, and Capcom probably wouldn't have been interested in doing it if it was, but I was hoping for a disc of highlights from the last two decades of competitive SF play. Maybe the documentary disc will touch on that somewhat.

Mœbius

I know they were going in hard on you on the stream. F-Word still seemed pretty furious about the whole thing even after he won.
F-Word was evidently unhappy, but I wouldn't say the commentators or anyone else was going in hard on him particularly. They were saying that the manner in which the online set was uploaded was wrong but Ryan Hart and the others stated several times how impressed they were that Izuna turned up and at his sill level. So yeah he got credit too, it wasn't a hostile environment, only Femi was angry.

So I went to Best Buy yesterday. I saw a used copy of SF4 for 360. I already own it on my PS3, but my bro uses my PS3 all the time now so I can't go back and play it whenever I want. So I bought it, I was excited to go back and play Vanilla Ryu, Sagat, Seth, and Akuma. I load it up and then I saw what I had forgotten from long ago. Only 16 of the 25 characters are unlocked. And if I want the others I'm going to have to painstakingly play through the single player for several hours to unlock them. Man this shit really made me depressed. The character I wanted to go back and play the most is Seth, and he's going to take the longest to unlock. I did play some online, there are still a few people around. It felt good beating down a few of these fraud 3000+ bp players that would have never reached that number before Super came out. But I guess I'll get around to unlocking them this weekend, man that's going to be a bitch though.

I wish people would throw Vanilla SF4 side tourney's once in a while. It'd be great to see that game back on stream and all the bullshit and damage that comes with it.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Not doing too bad! In order to try and get better at SF4 and stop playing SF2 style I switched from Ken to Adon and have learned a lot. Last night managed to burn through most of Adon's trials without any major difficulty and have been winning online (about 30 percent win rate but that is definitely not making me sad at all).

Finally beaten "BLOCK" into my head which is good, spent too long destroying people I know at fighting games to ever really master that apparently haha

onemic, sorry I missed you. i'll be on again tonight for sure

So I went to Best Buy yesterday. I saw a used copy of SF4 for 360. I already own it on my PS3, but my bro uses my PS3 all the time now so I can't go back and play it whenever I want. So I bought it, I was excited to go back and play Vanilla Ryu, Sagat, Seth, and Akuma. I load it up and then I saw what I had forgotten from long ago. Only 16 of the 25 characters are unlocked. And if I want the others I'm going to have to painstakingly play through the single player for several hours to unlock them. Man this shit really made me depressed. The character I wanted to go back and play the most is Seth, and he's going to take the longest to unlock. I did play some online, there are still a few people around. It felt good beating down a few of these fraud 3000+ bp players that would have never reached that number before Super came out. But I guess I'll get around to unlocking them this weekend, man that's going to be a bitch though.

I wish people would throw Vanilla SF4 side tourney's once in a while. It'd be great to see that game back on stream and all the bullshit and damage that comes with it.

Man, I love playing Vanilla from time to time. We need to set up some games for GAF. For SF4 nostalgia's sake.

LakeEarth

My 'favorite' SF4 vanilla moment was a Vega vs Sagat match where the Vega had like 75% life, one hit from winning, and in ONE COMBO the Vega was dead. It was something crazy simple like kara uppercut FADC roundhouse kick into ultra, but I can't find the vid anymore to confirm.

XenoRaven

My 'favorite' SF4 vanilla moment was a Vega vs Sagat match where the Vega had like 75% life, one hit from winning, and in ONE COMBO the Vega was dead. It was something crazy simple like kara uppercut FADC roundhouse kick into ultra, but I can't find the vid anymore to confirm.
I'm not 100%, but I recall Sagat being able to kill Seth in one combo, so that would make sense.

Top Bottom