• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I know you probably don't care, but I hit up VirtuaLand at Bugis in Singapore this week, and it was a blast. Some quality players from all walks of life, even on a week night.

Dunno if anyone's been themselves, or seen the CC episode where they hit up the arcades out there, but it's really great. Spacious, cool environment, big screen, friendly players... there are loads of different games but I went for a decent AE fix and didn't go home disappointed.

Shoutouts to Razorwind and his friend! You guys are awesome for showing me round, and I hope I can return the favour if you ever make it to Japan :D

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Played long enough for a 84 win streak. Good games Panda, Failed and whoever was in there. I'm so beat. Longest session evar.

FBFfU.jpg

Saty was caught using Chun, Ryu, Sak and Makoto. He's thinking of Relix, Eissan and Jlai. Awwwwww.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man playin in the US is so different..hardly anyone on in the mornings. One more week till my stick arrives and then I can finally play US GAF after all these years.

Man, I love playing Vanilla from time to time. We need to set up some games for GAF. For SF4 nostalgia's sake.

Oh yeah, we definitely have to run some Vanilla sets in the future. I got both versions so I'm down for either.

Man playin in the US is so different..hardly anyone on in the mornings. One more week till my stick arrives and then I can finally play US GAF after all these years.

Where are you from, what system do you play on, and what part of the US do you currently reside?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm from the US but have been living in Japan for the last 7 years. East coast, PSN, same name as here. Will go on a gaf name addin binge once my stick comes.

eissan

Played long enough for a 84 win streak. Good games Panda, Failed and whoever was in there. I'm so beat. Longest session evar.

FBFfU.jpg

Saty was caught using Chun, Ryu, Sak and Makoto. He's thinking of Relix, Eissan and Jlai. Awwwwww.

if he wants I'll come back and beat on his crappy sim a bit :)

diablo3 is consuming my life...

I'm an expert

Well I guess Sanford really does know Ryu more than Valle :/

Oh man just realized I can watch streams on the weekends now no issue. With the time difference I spent the last few years watching EVERY grand finals on Monday morning at work. The little things in life..

Solidgear, will do. Will def be beggin for PSN names soon.

MIMIC

Banned

FBFfU.jpg

My word @_@

Is there any way to guard against wakeup crossups? I try doing a DP but nothing ever comes out.

Usually the only time I get beat when I'm going for a cross up after a knockdown is if my opponent is mashing DP like mad.

Depending on your character, you can also dash forward/backwards out of it.

Onemic

My word @_@

Usually the only time I get beat when I'm going for a cross up after a knockdown is if my opponent is mashing DP like mad.

Depending on your character, you can also dash forward/backwards out of it.

I use Ryu. So pretty much stop trying to DP?

GGs Kevo. You kicked my ass pretty good. I need to start practicing again, I am way too rusty. If you read this, can you give me tips for the Bison - Honda matchup or what I should do to improve myself. You were like 10 steps ahead of me everytime.

GGs Kevo. You kicked my ass pretty good. I need to start practicing again, I am way too rusty. If you read this, can you give me tips for the Bison - Honda matchup or what I should do to improve myself. You were like 10 steps ahead of me everytime.

ggs. here's what i can tell you, mostly coming from the honda persepctive:

-get the life lead and sit on it (this goes for any matchup between two charge characters that lack projectiles), but it's really important here. this matchup can come down to a lot of timeouts and who can get the most chip damage
-i was getting a lot of free jump ins, so work on your spacing for anti airs. there's really nothing you can do but block jab xx hands, but look for tick throw setups into my command grab
-don't waste meter with things like wakeup ex psycho crusher-fadc
-you need to walk me back into the corner using pokes to get me there
-you had some good pressure, but i was able to get out of the corner most of the time, so here's what i look for:
-learn spacing for honda's butt slam, jab headbutt and ex headbutt since those are my only moves to get out. use a variety of pokes to keep me in the corner, limiting my options. if you get the spacing, bait a headbutt then punish​
-keep up the corner pressure with crouching lk-scissor kick combos. a good use of meter here is to fadc your scissor kick into throw to keep me honest​
-if youre confident after a corner knockdown go with ambiguous jumping knee. i hate that shit​
-always block butt slam high or focus it
-go for more cross ups on knockdown to take away my charge (psycho crusher, knee, devil's reverse, etc)
-i'm not sure what else bison can do on wakeup, but i was getting a lot of meaty cr.mk xx hands if you didnt teleport, so i would look for some other options there
-that being said, be aware of how frequent you wakeup teleport. honda can punish it with ultra/super on reaction (the one time i tried this i failed, but be aware that it's an option)
-i can punish scissor kicks on block with cr jab xx hands if you don't space them correctly

sorry i've kinda thrown a lot at you, but these are all/if not most of the things i look for in the bipson matchup. there are some good bison players here on gaf that i played in the gafbats (aedile, onion_relish/hycran) but i dont know know how frequent they still play the game.

in any case, im always down to session. where are you located? was it laggy for you?

Thank you for all those tips. I will definitely work on what you said and practice that in the lab. I am located in South Carolina. I'm on wireless right now because I can't go wired at the moment. Sorry if it got laggy for you. I think the connection was pretty stable for the most part except when it randomly lagged at times.

It's a good list imo

Gouken seriously at mid tier? I refuse to believe that. And instead of such a messy chart, why not just list each character in a numbered order? I don't know if that was Alioune's intention, but he makes it seem as if he has a specific rank for each character instead of throwing a bunch of them in a certain letter grade tier.

cHaotix8

Is there any way to guard against wakeup crossups? I try doing a DP but nothing ever comes out.

It depends on the character that's doing it. There are a lot of setups that are designed to always make your DP whiff, and then there are ones that will only whiff if you do it as a reversal. You're pretty much going to have to figure out what setup they were using and figure out the appropriate time to DP, there's really no other method. Focus on blocking everything first. If you understand that their setup isn't designed to make your DP whiff and you can block it, then you should know what side they are going to land on and know if you can DP it.

cHaotix8

Wicked!
...but refresh my memory, is U2 still effective? It hink they removed some invincibilty from it or some such?

I don't think it ever had anything other than projectile invincibility. It's used as a punisher for some things because of how fast it starts up (4 frames I believe), combo's off of DP and as a fireball deterrent.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Aliounes AE2012 tier list:
26_aliounetierlist.jpg

Edit: Cody is too high

Edit:I hate this tier list
He's just trying to illustrate the strong correlation between having no major faults and being high tier. I like it. I think it's a clever visual presentation. Too bad some of the text is hard to read, but i'm sure someone with superior graphic design skills will make a better template in the future.

Conceptually, the most confusing area is the center of the has-faults/well-rounded axis. If a character is in the middle, does that mean they have no faults? Or that they only have minor faults? If it's the latter, then the left side should probably say "major faults" instead.

Vice

He's just trying to illustrate the strong correlation between having no major faults and being high tier. I like it. I think it's a clever visual presentation. Too bad some of the text is hard to read, but i'm sure someone with superior graphic design skills will make a better template in the future.

Conceptually, the most confusing area is the center of the has-faults/well-rounded axis. If a character is in the middle, does that mean they have no faults? Or that they only have minor faults? If it's the latter, then the left side should probably say "major faults" instead.

The further they are to the left the bigger their flaws are. The more they are to the right the more well-rounded they are. So someone like Fuerte has big holes in their game that are easily exploited while someone like Ryu is pretty solid.

Sayah

Well, wasn't planning on getting this but I got it for real cheap. SFXTK sure does look like an ugly mess compared to this. Although, I guess 4 characters on screen can explain that.

I was used to the L, M, H setup for combos thanks to MvC3 and SFXTK but things seem to be different with this.

Top Bottom