• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Onemic

Yun needs a buff, E ryu needs a buff.

T HAWK NEEDS TO GET HIS ASS NERFED TO THE GROUND

dont listen to any of the above capcom....except for the yun buff plz.

They should just update the AE version where they give you the strongest iteration of each character.....LOL combo, Akuma loops, instant dive kicks with Cammy, Yun's infinite block strings, etc. It would be insane.

MIMIC

Banned
It's so satisfying to get remarkably better than someone who used to troll you back in Vanilla.

I used to complain all the time about RokNRollah (or whatever his tag is) and would almost be scared to play him because I could never beat him AND he would never rematch me. But we've played twice since Vanilla: once a little while ago and last night. I've destroyed him and his shitty B+ Cody every single time. And boy do I let him have it in his inbox ^_^ He even stopped responding to me. =p

Increase Gief's spd range. Or increase Hawk's. I'd rather the first one happen, though.

Fixed =p

Okay, really noob question. I just updated to Arcade Edition through the marketplace, but every time I try to start the game up, it reverts back to SSF4, and not the Arcade Edition. I have to restart the game like 2 times for Arcade Edition to work. Any ideas why this happens?

Onemic

Question for matchups against gief and thawk.(moreso hawk) is it possible to do a block string on them without getting spd'd? I was facing hawk(using ryu) and as always I lost to him. This time it was because whenever I went for a random jumpin and he blocked it I would only be able to into a 2 hit block string before he was able to reversal spd me. This happened every time and I couldn't do anything about it.

This is why I fucking hate that piece of shit character.

Question for matchups against gief and thawk.(moreso hawk) is it possible to do a block string on them without getting spd'd? I was facing hawk(using ryu) and as always I lost to him. This time it was because whenever I went for a random jumpin and he blocked it I would only be able to into a 2 hit block string before he was able to reversal spd me. This happened every time and I couldn't do anything about it.

You're leaving gaps in your blockstrings, which is why they're able to reversal EX spd you. EX spd also has a small bit of invincibility on startup, which doesn't help you.

Aedile

If you're getting SPD'd, either it's not a block string or you're leaving gaps in the inputs. You can either tighten up your inputs or, if you know your opponent is churning butter, follow the tight part of your string with a move that has invincible startup.

Better to just stay away from Hawk and zone him out, though. Or pick Blanka.

E: Beaten.

Onemic

I tried but I find zoning on hawk much harder than gief, as he has that stupid flying dash shit. Is there a matchup guide on how to deal with hawk using ryu/yun? I looked at my player records and along with blanka(the only character I hate more than hawk) I have a 0% win record against him.

Imm0rt4l

Yea it's possible, what you're looking for are 'true blockstrings' no idea what yuns are though. I think cr. lk x 3 is. What I'd suggest is peep some of kazunokos or daigo's matches as Yun against T-hawk or gief players. Peep the strings they use, write em' down, record yourself doing them with the dummy in training mode. and then take control of the grappler against yun, when the string comes up just mash spd and make note of which ones are beaten out by spd. You could also ask in the srk yun blockstring thread and ask what yuns true blockstrings are. Good luck with that though, probably a ghost town.

it should be noted that you cannot get a true blockstring off a divekick.

Good advice from people already. Work on your execution, and try to bait your opponent into going for the command grab. Like, maybe after a jump-in, throw out a couple jabs, and if he blocks them, neutral jump up as he mashes out for the command grab. Punish his whiffed attack for ultimate glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmdtwE_eD-s&feature=plcp

comrade

Hawk aint even ex spd'ing me, he's just straight up fierce spd'ing me.

Same reason. You have a gap in your blockstring so you eat a reversal. A lot of online players rely on that way too much so you can use it to your advantage by mashing jabs to push them out of range and then they just whiff SPD and you can punish.

MIMIC

Banned

Jump in with a hit, jump straight up in the air and punish the whiffed SPD. It also lets you know who is mashing SPD and whether or not it's safe to attempt certain combos. It's rarely worth it, though; zoning is the name of the game.

I usually try to EX SPD people out of blockstrings as a test. It lets me know what kind of player they are, and how I should adapt. It won me a tournament against a jump-happy Cody player, too. Speaking of which, Cody players are NOTORIOUS for jumping during blockstrings.

xCobalt

How many of you guys here play on xbox? Just got my account approved recently and im interested in some matches. :)

My gt is xCobalt

AutumnAve

Good games with all you gaffers! shoutouts to onemic, anyone else who wants to play, add me to your friends list AutumnAve, PSN and GFWL.

MIMIC

Banned
How come when a lobby says "Serious Matches!" and I destroy them, I get booted? ;_;

I know, lol

EDIT: I'm getting pretty good with the Oni match up ^_^ Went 2 whole rounds and blocked every single EX cross-up (whatever it's called). I always expect it since every Oni I fight tries to abuse it at every given chance.

Onemic

Are you only PSN? I have PC edition if you want to get on sometimes. I do have a PS3, but I let my bro keep it in his room so he would have something to use.

Ya, PSN only. I'd get the PC edition as well if it was really cheap. Some poster a few pages back said he got it for 10 bucks, but didn't say where.(It's still 40 bucks on steam)

Edgeward

It was on amazon about a month ago for 10. Maybe the steam summer sale will have it but capcom seems to never put up really good sales and their sought after games for steam.

Speaking of which, Cody players are NOTORIOUS for jumping during blockstrings.

Bingo!

I have never been so frustrated with a match up than Chun vs. Rog. I am learning Chun, and it feels like I can't do anything to open a decent Rog up. Its hard to fireball war him with the TAP and even harder when he has meter. His headbutt beats the the overhead clean, and I feel like my pokes just get blown up! I think the match up is in Chun's favor, but it doesn't feel like it -_-

Bingo!

I have never been so frustrated with a match up than Chun vs. Rog. I am learning Chun, and it feels like I can't do anything to open a decent Rog up. Its hard to fireball war him with the TAP and even harder when he has meter. His headbutt beats the the overhead clean, and I feel like my pokes just get blown up! I think the match up is in Chun's favor, but it doesn't feel like it -_-

Zone with lp fireball and carefully follow it, if he dash punches or jumps over it....use st.hp to poke or antiair. Rinse and repeat. Once you score an untechable knockdown....safe jump in with fierce and do your mixups. And chun's normals can go toe to toe with Rog. Stay out of the corner, that's where Rog totally dominates Chun.

Imm0rt4l

I think I'm going to make an effort to play some more ssf4 this week and work on just my use of normals with gouken. I feel my playing dudley has sort of conditioned me to always try and go in, watching Infiltration really makes me want to change my shit up. Dude makes good use of every button.

Zone with lp fireball and carefully follow it, if he dash punches or jumps over it....use st.hp to poke or antiair. Rinse and repeat. Once you score an untechable knockdown....safe jump in with fierce and do your mixups. And chun's normals can go toe to toe with Rog. Stay out of the corner, that's where Rog totally dominates Chun.

Thanks, this helps alot. My problem is usually cornering myself trying to stave off his pressure -_-

Thanks, this helps alot. My problem is usually cornering myself trying to stave off his pressure -_-

It's always been my problem too. I get intimidate into the corner really easily, but staying your ground against Rog is really important. With his walkspeed, Rog is just too dangerous with corner pressure/footsies. So establish your zoning tools right away. Also some ex dash punches can be thrown, which should help eliminate the guess work if the punch is low or an overhead....although I still fail with throws because of my poor reaction time T_T

Degen

that Hawk tech is so 2000 and late

it's all about standing roundhouses and crouching mk's from halfway across the screen now

Imm0rt4l

I go entire matches without parrying, I don't like using it at all really. parrying in the corner into FADC tatsu or ultra is really satisfying though.

Top Bottom