• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Onemic

Makoto is such a weird character. I've tried to use her, but I can't do it.

I initially tried using her a few years back in super, but she had such an unorthodox fighting style and I was still a super heavy masher, so I didn't bother practicing with her after about 5 minutes in the lab. I mainly picked her up in 3S because I just love her character design, and after some tutorial watching and reading up on guides I actually really like the way she fights. Very in your face and a few simple combos can lead to death. I tried using her in AE and noticed that they made her walk speed even slower than in 3S, but I think I'll commit. I have no idea where she is on the tier list, but I do no that next to no one uses her, which can only be an advantage. I think I've only fought one Makoto out of all the matches I've played in AE.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I initially tried using her a few years back in super, but she had such an unorthodox fighting style and I was still a super heavy masher, so I didn't bother practicing with her after about 5 minutes in the lab. I mainly picked her up in 3S because I just love her character design, and after some tutorial watching and reading up on guides I actually really like the way she fights. Very in your face and a few simple combos can lead to death. I tried using her in AE and noticed that they made her walk speed even slower than in 3S, but I think I'll commit. I have no idea where she is on the tier list, but I do no that next to no one uses her, which can only be an advantage. I think I've only fought one Makoto out of all the matches I've played in AE.

Makoto was a BEAST in 3S, that I remember. I think it's the fact that she's slow and methodical that made it hard for me, ha.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Everybody has their own reasons. For someone like me, having all the top players International and ashore alike, SFIV producers, Nitsuma, Mr.Wiz, the Cannon brothers, etc, all personalize an EVO stick just for me means something. Thanks to Marky for doing the dirty work. :) And Sako's wife was the one who took the picture and tweeted it.

Edgeward

They didn't release Super edition so all the packs were combined. The description even says All alternate costumes for those characters, so you should be good.

They didn't release Super edition so all the packs were combined. The description even says All alternate costumes for those characters, so you should be good.

Ok, I'll just wait for few days if they're going to have a daily deal for the packs which I'm guessing that's not going to happen. The deal ends next Monday.

MIMIC

Banned
Are those packs free yet? I only bought 1 because I had pts left over from when Halo Reach forced me to get their latest map packs for their new achievements :mad:

xCobalt

I highly doubt they'll be free. I did get a free costume pack once though. It was a link to a free version of the brawler costume pack on the xbox marketplace. No idea if it's still available though.

I think the winter sales might be the same, I think I should just buy it. However, I don't think I would be able to play AE because I have to send in my laptop. My laptop can't charge for even though the charger still works. And just to add, nothing is wrong with the battery.

xCobalt

I think the winter sales might be the same, I think I should just buy it. However, I don't think I would be able to play AE because I have to send in my laptop. My laptop can't charge for even though the charger still works. And just to add, nothing is wrong with the battery.

My sister had a problem like that. Every time she tried to charge her laptop, there would be a message saying "plugged in, not charging" over the battery icon. Had to uninstall something listed in the device manager.

Also, does anyone here use Makoto? Been thinking of picking her up and could use some general advice. I'm really liking her but I have a hard time capitalizing off my hits

Onemic

My sister had a problem like that. Every time she tried to charge her laptop, there would be a message saying "plugged in, not charging" over the battery icon. Had to uninstall something listed in the device manager.

Also, does anyone here use Makoto? Been thinking of picking her up and could use some general advice. I'm really liking her but I have a hard time capitalizing off my hits

Join the club

I plan on getting that problem repaired by sending my ASUS laptop to the ASUS support.

MIMIC

Banned
Heh, a beginner (I won't use the term "n00b" =p) asked me how to perform the RSF.

Ummmm....where I do I even begin? lol

Fake edit: I should have said "Get to Fuerte's last trial, and it automatically unlocks. It's the same move as a SRK. The more you mash, the more hits you get." ^_^

Hello, SSFIVAE-GAF!

I've posted a bit in the FGW thread, but figured I should show my face here as well. I just started playing AE last night, and I'm having a blast so far. I went random the first time I turned on the game, and ended up with Cammy, so that's the player I'm focusing on. I beat the game on Very Easy mode, and spent a lot of time in the training room last night. I'm comfortable pulling off all of the moves when I want, and I can regularly beat the Medium Hard AI opponents.

I know that isn't much, but it's something. I've watched all the Basic L2P videos over at SRK, but I still don't quite understand the differences between combos, linking, and chaining, and I'm having a lot of trouble understanding cancels. Also, anytime I try and pull off my Ultra, it's getting blocked by the AI.

I know that obviously after one night of playing I shouldn't understand everything, but I figured I would see if anyone had other resources, or could explain some of the stuff I'm having trouble grasping differently. I plan on playing a lot more, and reading up on Cammy, and Fighting in general as I continue to play.

I own the game for Xbox, and my gamertag is the same as my username. I also bought the game in the Steam sale, but since I own a Macbook Pro, I'm forced to wait until I can get a copy of Windows 7 before I can play on there.

Thanks guys, I look forward to participating in the community here!

MIMIC

Banned
Hello, SSFIVAE-GAF!

I've posted a bit in the FGW thread, but figured I should show my face here as well. I just started playing AE last night, and I'm having a blast so far. I went random the first time I turned on the game, and ended up with Cammy, so that's the player I'm focusing on. I beat the game on Very Easy mode, and spent a lot of time in the training room last night. I'm comfortable pulling off all of the moves when I want, and I can regularly beat the Medium Hard AI opponents.

I know that isn't much, but it's something. I've watched all the Basic L2P videos over at SRK, but I still don't quite understand the differences between combos, linking, and chaining, and I'm having a lot of trouble understanding cancels. Also, anytime I try and pull off my Ultra, it's getting blocked by the AI.

I know that obviously after one night of playing I shouldn't understand everything, but I figured I would see if anyone had other resources, or could explain some of the stuff I'm having trouble grasping differently. I plan on playing a lot more, and reading up on Cammy, and Fighting in general as I continue to play.

I own the game for Xbox, and my gamertag is the same as my username. I also bought the game in the Steam sale, but since I own a Macbook Pro, I'm forced to wait until I can get a copy of Windows 7 before I can play on there.

Thanks guys, I look forward to participating in the community here!

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/200...minology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

Links, chains and cancels are types of combos, btw

Also: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jan/18/cammy-street-fighter-4-character-guide/

Combos are anything that allow you to cause successive unblockable hits once you land the first attack; chains, links and cancels are all elements of combos. So anytime you see a number pop-up on your side of the screen after you hit the opponent is a combo.

Chains and cancels are related, so I'll deal with them first. A chain is usually a normal light move that can cancel into itself and any other chainable attack, usually the other light normal. For example, if you crouch up close to someone as Ryu and mash lp, you'll see all the hits land. This is because before the entire animation of the lp has played out, it's already been canceled by the next lp, and so on. Chains in SF4 are just lp and lk, but not everyone's chains so they're different between characters. Ryu can chain standing lp, crouching lp and crouching lk, but not standing lk. Balrog can chain standing lp, standing lk, and crouching lp, but not crouching lk. Cammy can chain both standing lights and crouching lights.

A cancel is when you cancel the animation of a normal into a special move, nothing much to it. As Cammy if you hit someone with a standing hp into a cannon spike, that's a cancel. You're stopping the animation short once it's hit someone to combo into a special move. Not all normals can cancel.

Links are unlike the previous two, there's no animation canceling involved. A link is a combo where the entire animation of an attack plays out before you can get the next hit in, and that's where most of the timing trickiness comes into play. If you go into training mode and set the dummy to "auto block" and go up close to it and mash crouching lp with Cammy, you'll see the flurry of punches hit; if you do the same with crouching mp, you'll notice they'll maybe combo into eachother sometimes, but will mostly get blocked by the AI. This is where linking comes into play and where you'll start feeling the rhythm of combos.

To get a practice combo with Cammy that incorporates all these, try:
crouching lk, crouching lp, crouching mp, hk spiral arrow

In that combo, you will chain the crouching lk into the crouching lp, link the crouching mp after the crouching lp, and then cancel the mp into the spiral arrow.

cHaotix8

Combos are anything that allow you to cause successive unblockable hits once you land the first attack; chains, links and cancels are all elements of combos. So anytime you see a number pop-up on your side of the screen after you hit the opponent is a combo.

Chains and cancels are related, so I'll deal with them first. A chain is usually a normal light move that can cancel into itself and any other chainable attack, usually the other light normal. For example, if you crouch up close to someone as Ryu and mash lp, you'll see all the hits land. This is because before the entire animation of the lp has played out, it's already been canceled by the next lp, and so on. Chains in SF4 are just lp and lk, but not everyone's chains so they're different between characters. Ryu can chain standing lp, crouching lp and crouching lk, but not standing lk. Balrog can chain standing lp, standing lk, and crouching lp, but not crouching lk. Cammy can chain both standing lights and crouching lights.

A cancel is when you cancel the animation of a normal into a special move, nothing much to it. As Cammy if you hit someone with a standing hp into a cannon spike, that's a cancel. You're stopping the animation short once it's hit someone to combo into a special move. Not all normals can cancel.

Links are unlike the previous two, there's no animation canceling involved. A link is a combo where the entire animation of an attack plays out before you can get the next hit in, and that's where most of the timing trickiness comes into play. If you go into training mode and set the dummy to "auto block" and go up close to it and mash crouching lp with Cammy, you'll see the flurry of punches hit; if you do the same with crouching mp, you'll notice they'll maybe combo into eachother sometimes, but will mostly get blocked by the AI. This is where linking comes into play and where you'll start feeling the rhythm of combos.

In that combo, you will chain the crouching lk into the crouching lp, link the crouching mp after the crouching lp, and then cancel the mp into the spiral arrow.

I wish I could like posts on gaf. This pretty much covered all the bases.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So the game crashes for me right after the Capcom logo disappears. At first I thought this might be GFWL related ('cause it's loading up right then, too), but I noticed it seems to be the exact time the logo disappears, since the timing of the GFWL menu changes somewhat.

Any ideas?

Up-to-date versions of .net, VC Redistributable and DX, also current graphic drivers (AMD).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Did you install any mods? If not may just want to delete and redownload the thing again is my only suggestion.

No. Fresh installation from steam. Tried to disable Firewall/Virus protection, too, to no avail. Steam says the installation is fine :/

Wow, thanks for that write-up. Can't wait to get home in 90 minutes and play some more.

Venfayth

Wow, thanks for that write-up. Can't wait to get home in 90 minutes and play some more.

I had a lot of the exact same questions you did when I started playing (about a year ago, right after evo)

His post is pretty much spot on. There are technical explanations for all of this as well, which you will eventually want to know.

The game runs at 60 frames per second. Each of these frames are basically the place where the game takes place. Each move has a complete duration of x amount of frames. This duration is broken up in to 3 different phases. A move starts the frame you push a button.

The first phase is "startup". Typically during a startup phase, your character is vulnerable.
The second phase is "active". During active frames, your characters move is occurring, and can hit opponents, or be blocked.
The third phase is "recovery". During recovery frames, your character is vulnerable and returning to a neutral state.

A move will go into recovery the frame after an active frame scores a hit or block, or after not landing at all (whiffing). During the recovery phase (but only if the attack hits or is blocked), depending on which normal attack you used, you can cancel it (by pushing another button, or inputting a special) into another move or special attack.

Take a look at the "frame data" for Ryu's Close LP:

DOjhg.png

Specifically, look at the "cancel ability" part. It says: CH/SP/SU. CH stands for Chain - any normal that has CH can be cancelled into any other normal that has CH. SP stands for Special, so you can cancel this normal into any of Ryu's Special moves (hadoken, shoryuken, tatsumaki) and SU stands for Super, which is Ryu's Super Move.

The next thing to note on that image is the "On Hit" and "On Guard" section of the table. There's a number that's either positive, 0, or negative. This number represents how much frame advantage you have after a move is either hit or blocked. In other words, how much time difference exists before your character returns to neutral before or after the opposing character.

Ryu's Close LP is +5 after it hits. This means he has 5 frames from the time the move finishes animating before the opposing character leaves HITSTUN. Hitstun is a term for when the opposing character is reeling from an attack, and can be hit by subsequent attacks. NO action can be taken by someone who is in hitstun (in SF4 anyway).

Really, what this is important for, is for establishing what combos you can do. Since Ryu's Close LP is +5 on hit, you have 5 frames to do another attack that will combo. If you look down that list, which normals start up in 5 frames or less? All of them except for Close HK, Far HP, Far MK, and Far HK. All of the other normals could combo after you hit your Close LP, but the ones I just listed literally do not have enough time to create a combo.

Now take a look at Ryu's Crouch HK. This is his "sweep" attack. It causes a knockdown. But look at its frame advantage on guard, it's a whopping -14. This means for nearly a quarter of a second after it's blocked, you are vulnerable to being hit. It means this move is VERY risky to use.

Some other moves like Shoryuken have other special properties like invincibility during startup, which makes them very strong for waking up, but are very punishable.

There are lots of other variables as well, including spacing and stuff like counter hits, but these are the basics of frame data.

All this kinda stuff you will learn in a general sense very easily. But if you're like me, you want to know exactly how things work. But, if not, maybe you won't even read this :D

If you do have any other questions, just ask here, or send me a PM if you want. People here are really knowledgeable and generally friendly.

Also, if I've made any errors in my explanation, please let me know. I kinda wrote this up off of memory so I may have made a blunder or two :x

Venfayth

What do you guys mean by punishing?

Punishing is a concept:

With ryu, throw a shoryuken. On your way down from the shoryuken, you are extremely vulnerable. If anybody hits you on your way down, they are punishing you for missing your shoryuken, or maybe they blocked it.

Lots of moves are either safe or unsafe. If you perform an unsafe move, it can be punished by anyone who is aware that it's unsafe, and able to punish it with a fast enough move/reaction speed.

OceanBlue

What do you guys mean by punishing?

If someone does something punishable, it generally means you get a free hit on them if they try a punishable move and you block it or they don't hit you (people call this whiffing for fighting games). If it's extremely punishable, that means you can hit them with whatever you want. If it's punishable, it generally means you can hit them with your fastest move.

xCobalt

Not yet, I figured I'd work my way through the AI difficulties before jumping online. Am I detrimenting myself?

I don't think you're hindering yourself. Playing offline for the first time will allow you to get used to the game itself and be more comfortable. I'd go through trial mode so you can learn some of the basic combos for your character as well.

You should consider playing online with someone who can help you (i'm sure someone here can help). They'll be able to tell you what you're doing wrong and how to improve.

Temptation to pick up my arcade stick again rising. But hot damn do I suck at fighters :D

Anyone got an opinion on a good character to learn first? I guess someone that isn't "too" technical. I have always liked Sagat for his Muay Thai backround.

Thanks gaf.

xCobalt

Temptation to pick up my arcade stick again rising. But hot damn do I suck at fighters :D

Anyone got an opinion on a good character to learn first? I guess someone that isn't "too" technical. I have always liked Sagat for his Muay Thai backround.

Thanks gaf.

If a character appeals to you, then definitely try them out. I don't have much experience with sagat but I don't think he's a hard character to learn. May take some time to learn the proper spacing with him.

You can also consider Adon (who also has a muay thai background), though he is more technical.

Edgeward

Ryu is the most balanced and learning him you will learn pretty much all the basics of Street Fighter - zoning, anti-airing, footsies, etc.

But really I would suggest just trying out different people and see what kind of fighter speaks to you. Sagat is slow and is a more defensively orientated so patience is needed and has no chains so you will need to learn how links work if you want to do combos. But it's a good character to learn how to zone and play defense which I think is the first important step in learning how to play. Much more so than learning combos and such. You can get by with just fireballs and anti air dragon uppercuts if you play it right. But defense is not easy and he is a bit larger of a learning curve than the average character.

That post was gdlk Ricken. I was actually planning on doing a write up myself if nobody else did one by now. But you got it all taken care of.

Edgeward, I just looked up the trial you were talking about. That's the trial that's been haunting you for years? Seriously, I am very disappoint son.

Edgeward

I didn't understand it! I just randomly got the j rh deep enough for the cr lp x 4 to link as I was zoning out. As every time before I was get pushed out before hitting the last cr lp.

But I also did all of Cammy's trials again because I lost my PC save. Thanks GFWL. So I'm totally not a fraud.
3nAAq.jpg

jlai

I think Ryu is the best starter character given he's so well balanced. Has all the tools to practice everything you need from the ground up: FADC combos/ultras, varying links that are relatively easy, footsies, space control and fireball game, safe jumps, option selects, throws/frame traps, etc.

Just don't become reliant on mashing uppercuts! I myself have been playing Ryu as of late to touch up on all those bases instead of derping my way around with Makoto.

To those people on the previous page asking for Makoto advice, get well acquainted with her normals. Her whole set of normals are among the best in the game and nearly all of them can serve some purpose, namely S.MP for pressure, and C.MK for anti-airing. After that its just adjusting for matchups/players and knowing how to execute different strategies and setups.

There's this guide: http://otersi.com/makotobible/testspread_nov03.pdf but it is a little outdated since its for AE, not 2012. I haven't actually looked through it and only skimmed through it quickly when I was linked to it today but from what I saw it seemed pretty extensive. Setups have since been changed a little because of different timings for some moves, but all the information about normals is more or less the same and still a good primer for beginners.

Top Bottom