• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

xCobalt

That's a pretty good plan. You did miss like 3 snipers against me and I failed to punish all 3 times, guess we can just blame the lag on those situations lol.

MIMIC

Banned
Gief is kinda fun. I wanna learn him. Works well with my lameness and lack of combos lol

And Rice, just to disappoint you further, I cleared trail 19 for the first time too. It was actually quite a pain to learn the timing to connect the srk after FADC. lol

I really like Gief because I'm extremely aggressive and he can deal out a SHIT load of damage. Sometimes I'll just walk up to someone completely out of throw range and hit them with a surprise SPD. But then there are the Guiles and the other turtlers that force you to be patient....and to quote a famous lady: ain't nobody got time for that! =p And that frustrates the hell out of me.

OceanBlue

I don't feel like I understand how to play this game. Is there a mindset you have to be in when you play? I can't get out of the habit of autopiloting when I play other people. The game becomes less of, "Do I know what he's going to go for," and more of, "Can I react properly to whatever he does?" Once people figure me out, I always lose because I'm bad at adjusting. I don't ever think I'm playing the game properly.

Also, what can you do to improve at home? I realized while playing some local players recently that playing Ranked online has made me worse of a player than I was before. I grind combos in training mode, but other than that, I don't know how to practice the thinking/mindgame aspect of fighting games.

Onemic

I don't feel like I understand how to play this game. Is there a mindset you have to be in when you play? I can't get out of the habit of autopiloting when I play other people. The game becomes less of, "Do I know what he's going to go for," and more of, "Can I react properly to whatever he does?" Once people figure me out, I always lose because I'm bad at adjusting. I don't ever think I'm playing the game properly.

Also, what can you do to improve at home? I realized while playing some local players recently that playing Ranked online has made me worse of a player than I was before. I grind combos in training mode, but other than that, I don't know how to practice the thinking/mindgame aspect of fighting games.

If you've got your execution/combos down, Record/playback ability is your friend. Unfortunately I'm still on the execution part.

Vice

Come up with a plan and stick to it.

If anyone is interested in playing with me I'll be on for a bit. Xbox gt is same as user name

Eww. Fuck zangief. How do you know when to tech that stupid grab. It's so fucking strong!

Thanks for playing with me Kadey! You thoroughly kicked my ass but I think I learned some! I still hate Zangief!! She whooped my ass 15 consecutive times. Different char each time though. I need to get faster in addition to a lot of other things. I still have trouble executing my combos and I'm sure I'm insanely predictable.

Good games Kadey!

xCobalt

If anyone is interested in playing with me I'll be on for a bit. Xbox gt is same as user name

Eww. Fuck zangief. How do you know when to tech that stupid grab. It's so fucking strong!

I may be late on the advice but Zangief and a few other character have command grabs (grabs that aren't performed with lp + lk) which can't be tech'd. Just gotta keep characters like gief out but if he manages to get close, you can avoid command grabs by back dashing, neutral jumping or an invincible move.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just do anything to get out.

You need to work on your punishes and when to stop and block during offense. Like when you get a focus crumple, sweep or do a simple combo. If you have an ultra, you can do that as well.

Also mix up your jump ins with cannon strike at different angles to keep the opponent guessing.

Anticipate your opponents and watch their tendency, like if you feel I'm going to jump in, do a cannon spike.

Don't worry about her combos yet, especially the ones I did on you, they require more execution than the basic combos but focus on the basic combos first.

If you keep playing, you'll eventually get better. It just takes time. Especially if you are completely new to the game. :)

Usually I stream a lobby but if there is something going on I don't. I tend to hang out in my stream chat and talk about whatever though.

Just do anything to get out.

You need to work on your punishes and when to stop and block during offense. Like when you get a focus crumple, sweep or do a simple combo. If you have an ultra, you can do that as well.

Also mix up your jump ins with cannon strike at different angles to keep the opponent guessing.

Anticipate your opponents and watch their tendency, like if you feel I'm going to jump in, do a cannon spike.

Don't worry about her combos yet, especially the ones I did on you, they require more execution than the basic combos but focus on the basic combos first.

If you keep playing, you'll eventually get better. It just takes time. Especially if you are completely new to the game. :)

Usually I stream a lobby but if there is something going on I don't. I tend to hang out in my stream chat and talk about whatever though.
I saw your twitch channel advertised in your bio and I followed on twitch. Will definitely check it out when I get a chance. Thanks again for playing with me!

Onemic

GGs bro. Nice Ryu/Yun.......my Ibuki and Oni need a lot of work lol:(

GGS Your Guy is too much, so happy when I was able to take one match. That damn crossup always got me, I was never able to react in time even when I began noticing it. Your Ibuki is good. You know the combos, so I guess just the fundamentals and spacing? My Ryu and Yun still need tons of work. Yun dropped so many combos that I normally get 9/10 in training, and I immediately forgot all of his block strings as soon as the matches started.

I tried to play Makoto once....I knew she wasn't ready to see the light of a match yet. I have to work on her exclusively for a few weeks to understand her game.

I need a change of pace. I'll always play Blanka but I'd like to tier whore a bit just to see what it's like. The closest I've ever tier whored was in MK9 when I played Reptile (set on him even before game was out, I've always played Rep) and he turned out to be a pretty good character (not the best but was definitely a threat). I play Lizardman and Raphael in SC, King in Tekken, and Captain America as point for my Mahvel teams so yeah it's a struggle sometimes.

Any suggestions for AE top tier to pick up? My execution stinks so Viper is out of the question. Fei? Seth? He may not be the absolute best anymore but I've always liked Sagat as a character, maybe him?

Top tier and easy to play? My suggestion would be Seth then. Some people may think he's hard to play, but every character is hard to play at high level. But for beginners, I think it's easier to learn someone like Seth then Akuma or Viper for example. He has all the tools you need in this game and a relatively easy vortex that works on every body. Just a mix up of dive kick, cross up, empty jump SPD, and so on. Execution is a breeze, he has chainable jabs, shorts, and easy 2 frame links. There are 1 framers, but they're not needed, I almost never use them.

But who is and isn't top tier in this game has been debated and there isn't really a consensus. I've seen names like Adon, Cammy, Rufus, and Ryu thrown in there along with the usual suspects. But among those I guess Cammy would also be very easy to play. You can kind of just go nuts with her. But outside of those two you're going to have to spend more time with other "top tier" characters, like Sagat if you want to learn him.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I tried to play Makoto once....I knew she wasn't ready to see the light of a match yet. I have to work on her exclusively for a few weeks to understand her game.

Makoto is a shit character to start with if you're still learning the game. She's a great character, but she's weird and super unintuitive in a lot of ways.

You might want to try Abel. He's similar to Makoto, but he doesn't have as much of a learning curve and he's a lot more well-rounded in general.

I need a change of pace. I'll always play Blanka but I'd like to tier whore a bit just to see what it's like. The closest I've ever tier whored was in MK9 when I played Reptile (set on him even before game was out, I've always played Rep) and he turned out to be a pretty good character (not the best but was definitely a threat). I play Lizardman and Raphael in SC, King in Tekken, and Captain America as point for my Mahvel teams so yeah it's a struggle sometimes.

Any suggestions for AE top tier to pick up? My execution stinks so Viper is out of the question. Fei? Seth? He may not be the absolute best anymore but I've always liked Sagat as a character, maybe him?

Adon.

Top tier and easy to play? My suggestion would be Seth then. Some people may think he's hard to play, but every character is hard to play at high level. But for beginners, I think it's easier to learn someone like Seth then Akuma or Viper for example. He has all the tools you need in this game and a relatively easy vortex that works on every body. Just a mix up of dive kick, cross up, empty jump SPD, and so on. Execution is a breeze, he has chainable jabs, shorts, and easy 2 frame links. There are 1 framers, but they're not needed, I almost never use them.

But who is and isn't top tier in this game has been debated and there isn't really a consensus. I've seen names like Adon, Cammy, Rufus, and Ryu thrown in there along with the usual suspects. But among those I guess Cammy would also be very easy to play. You can kind of just go nuts with her. But outside of those two you're going to have to spend more time with other "top tier" characters, like Sagat if you want to learn him.

Yeah I kind of get the feeling that nothing is set in stone right now for AE 2012. I stopped following it a few months ago so I don't know much of the current meta. Just bought it again but for PC during Steam Summer Sale and although I hear the latest patch isn't on that yet I'd like to just hit training mode and learn a new character.

Seth sounds good and although I don't really like playing characters who have little to no chance of showing up in future games (I like the familiarity and learning new quirks of established characters like Blanka and King) Seth just seems like a lot of fun.

I used to play a bit of Adon during the Alpha days but I don't really like how he handles in SF4 series. Maybe I'll give him another shot at least.

Onemic

Makoto is a shit character to start with if you're still learning the game. She's a great character, but she's weird and super unintuitive in a lot of ways.

You might want to try Abel. He's similar to Makoto, but he doesn't have as much of a learning curve and he's a lot more well-rounded in general.

Adon.

Sticking wit dat Mako. I'm maining her on Third Strike, and just love her character design, so I'll take the slower movement in AE. One thing I like with maining Yun, Makoto, and Ryu is that they all focus on certain parts of the game, which I need improvement in. Ryu is for the fundamentals, Yun for the execution, and Makoto for spacing and setups. I Don't train my Ryu anymore, but find that I naturally get better at using him when I get better at using Yun and Makoto.

I've gotten to the point with Yun where I'm seeing where I'm making mistakes in matches and the things I need to improve on. Once I get to that point with Makoto, I should be able to tolerate getting my ass kicked online a bit more lol.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Awesome. If you want real time training look on stuff to do with Cammy just watch my stream. I'll use her in training and show you some of her stuff.

Stream is on now.

WOAH again! 7:22.

xCobalt

Ah! How do you combat a projectile spammer. I can't get in close enough to do anything because if I do, Ryu just fucking Shoryukens me :(

Which character do you play?

In general, you should just walk forward and block the incoming fireballs (you can jump but make sure you're out of their range ie full screen). Be patient and keep closing the distance until you corner them. Be at a distance where you can punish them if they decide to jump out of the corner.

You can also focus the fireballs then dash forward but it can be risky if they throw out an ex fireball.

Which character do you play?

In general, you should just walk forward and block the incoming fireballs (you can jump but make sure you're out of their range ie full screen). Be patient and keep closing the distance until you corner them. Be at a distance where you can punish them if they decide to jump out of the corner.

You can also focus the fireballs then dash forward but it can be risky if they throw out an ex fireball.

I'm playing as Cammy. And this is against the AI. I know that the reason is I just need to be more familiar with the game. I just choose to vent my frustrations here rather than yelling at the television. At least I'm trying ><

xCobalt

Ex spiral arrow is definitely the easiest to use. With the normal arrows, it involves more prediction than reaction. I don't know a lot about cammy but it's been done to me too many times lol

Edgeward

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelsto...1.07_coming_soon_to_pc,_sfxt_dlc_now_on_steam

Hello!

Quick Street Fighter PC update for ya, straight from the front lines - the 1.07 patch is in its final approval phase and is on track to release on Steam by the end of the month.
This patch is the same as the console 1.07 from a earlier this year, which includes the following touch-ups:

• In the Car Crusher stage, a bug that made it impossible to advance has been fixed.

• Against specific characters, a bug that caused Juri to pass through her opponents when they were hit at point blank range with close standing medium punch has been fixed.

• Against specific characters, a bug that caused Dee Jay to pass through his opponents when executing close standing heavy kick super canceled into heavy Sobat Carnival has been fixed.

• Against Sagat, a bug that caused Cody’s EX Bad Stone to miss when Focus Attack Lv. 3 -> Dash -> EX Bad Stone was performed has been fixed.

• In SSFIV AE, a bug where Dudley’s Step Straight caused an opponent’s hit animation to not operate as expected has been fixed.

Hopefully it also stealth patches the game to revert back to the netcode being better and weird performance issues.

I'm starting to play as Ibuki. Any advice on how to play, best tactics and all that stuff?

http://ibuki.crosscounter.tv/

It's free you just need an email address and then click on the big broken jpeg at the bottom.

Nvm, the link they give doesn't even work. I'll see what I can do.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rgqmzbm1fb909cb

There. Use this and read this guide, it's very well done.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys, looking for some help. I mistakenly posted in the wrong thread so I'll just post those posts here.

Alright guys, I'm hoping for some help. Street Fighter IV in concept seems totally awesome to me. I love the idea and I'm completely interested in trying to get into it. But I just can't get it down. Whenever I try to pull off combos my timing just feels off or something because I can never get them off right.

I was hoping someone had some tips for a beginner to get into SSFIV:AE because I'm just clueless.

I'm playing on PC with a 360 pad.

Alo81 said:
You are probably doing the combos too fast and not linking your moves. Check youtube videos for the timing and make sure you are matching it. Who are you trying to play as?

I figured for starters I'd practice with Ryu since he seems to be the "base" character and a good starting point to build off of.

It really just comes down to time. Practice your combos, learn your normals, learn your specials. Then start playing. As for pad or stick just stick with whatever is comfortable. Just because you switch to a stick doesn't mean you start hitting your combos.

I was looking into one of the game pads with 6 face buttons so I could pull off the LMH supers (I believe that's what they're called?) because I'm having a tough time pressing X, Y, and a shoulder button all at once. I'll put some more practice into it.

What combos specifically?

I was just going through challenge and had to do crouching medium punch, crouching medium punch, crouching heavy kick, and couldn't link the first two. I'd link the first two once every 20 attempts maybe. The first punch usually pushed him too far back for me to hit him again.

I didn't expect this quick of a response, thanks guys.

fauxtrot

Banned
Does it seem like more people are playing on 360 or PSN? How about GAF; are there more players on one system than the other? I just got a hold of a PS3 TE stick for cheap, and I'm holding off renewing XBL Gold for a while...

PSN: vikvaughn <-- lacking the "t" in my GAF username

xCobalt

Hey guys, looking for some help. I mistakenly posted in the wrong thread so I'll just post those posts here.

When I played on pad, I used the left bumper and trigger to perform ultras. Your controller setting is probably set to Type A already so those buttons should be set to 3P and 3K.

A rule of thumb when it comes to linking normals: if the move is blocked, you did it too late or if the move doesn't come out, you did it too early. Adjust your timing from there.

Going from crouching mp to crouching hk is a one frame link so it is rather difficult.

Does it seem like more people are playing on 360 or PSN? How about GAF; are there more players on one system than the other? I just got a hold of a PS3 TE stick for cheap, and I'm holding off renewing XBL Gold for a while...

I'm not too sure on the numbers of players but based on my experiences online, the better players are on Xbox live.

Edgeward

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40035385&postcount=15580

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40048569&postcount=15588

Well it seems you know what links are but just in case I linked two very good posts explaining the systems and frame data.

Anyway. You should always work combos in parts and figure out the timing. So the first punch pushing you too far back means you are doing it too late. Not sure why the 2nd punch will ever whiff even if late. I tried it out and even when unable to link it shouldnt be far enough to whiff. You should probably start up as close as possible first off. But yea just press the second button a hair sooner.

Here's a quick way to know how to adjust your timing. If the next attack in the combo hits, then it's okay. Blocked, then it needs to be faster. Doesn't come out at all, then you need to delay it more.

If you are using a pad then assign a button on the controller for all punches and all kicks.

For combos you just have to keep practicing them until you getting the timing down, and then it becomes muscle memory. If you want to practice combos and links, go into training mode and switch to Auto Block for Guard. You could keep trying to practice that cr. mp, cr. mp, cr. hk with Ryu since that's an essential bnb for him. I'm not sure how many others do this, but I also listen to music while practicing. It makes it less boring for me, plus you are relying less on the sound of your button presses.

Onemic

Doom, are you awake?

Top Bottom