• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

I've been playing this game for about two weeks since I got it from the steam sale, but I am having a lot of trouble breaking people's defense when they turtle.

I'm just playing Ryu while I learn the game, currently around 1000pp and a C+ ranking. I've been getting a lot of games with B+ players and I can't get any offense going. One of the main characters I'm having trouble with is Balrog, he seems to want to croutch block until I make a mistake.

I can try to poke at him with c.mk,hadouken, but it is obviously very predictable. I try to get max range for his f.mp(I think my notation is correct, I'm talking about the overhead), but I end up eating sweeps and pokes all day.

Any tips?

Edit*. I singled out Balrog, but this is an issue I have in general, against most of the cast.

Edgeward

Incorporate throws. Instead of cr mk to fireball, try cr mk and walk up and do overhead or throw. Mix up your approaches and block strings so he doesn't know when to throw a sweep or jab. Normally you don't go for a raw overhead. You want to do it in the middle of a string, breaking the string off somewhere in the middle and then going for it to catch him by surprise. Same thing for throws when they then expect overheads.

Also turtle back at him, you got fireballs make him come to you. If you have a life lead then you should sit on it and keep that way.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Don't play footsies against him. He will win. Longer range with his roundhouse and faster jabs that can link into combos. You just have to chip away. Use cross up hurricane when you can. Abuse c.mk into fireball. Abuse c.mk period because it stops any of his regular rush punches. If you happen to get real close, use c.mp to keep him at bay with various mixups. I wish I saved this one match I had against a really good Balrog. That's pretty much what I did.

OceanBlue

I've been playing this game for about two weeks since I got it from the steam sale, but I am having a lot of trouble breaking people's defense when they turtle.

I'm just playing Ryu while I learn the game, currently around 1000pp and a C+ ranking.

I've been playing this game for almost a year and I'm still around 1000pp....

I still need to add some people here if they want to play on PC. My username is KokiaColor.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's up SF4 GAF, long time no see.

I still play at a local video game/karaoke theme upscale bar/lounge and do alright. It's still amusing when people think that a random Sim just kicked their ass.

Haven't logged into XBL in forever, though. I didn't even watch EVO, haha was playing Diablo III :p

What's up SF4 GAF, long time no see.

I still play at a local video game/karaoke theme upscale bar/lounge and do alright. It's still amusing when people think that a random Sim just kicked their ass.

Haven't logged into XBL in forever, though. I didn't even watch EVO, haha was playing Diablo III :p

Et9iQ.gif

Onemic

Just beat an 1800pp dude. I'm pretty sure that's the highest pp user I've ever beaten. Gotta say I got pretty damn hype after the win, especially since it seemed like he was playing with me, in the first round because of my stupid low pp. I knew he wanted to come back into my lobby and rematch since he played me twice before probably for quick pp gains, but I just didn't make another lobby. Wanted him to hold dat L.

I actually find that a lot of 1000+pp users tend to pp farm lower pp dudes, as they're easy wins. I don't mind simply because I want to face good players.

yo ggs to everyone last night. i think i had success because honda had favorable matchups with most people in the lobby (and deejay da best vortex lol).

and good stuff at the end beef. finally hitting that anti air u2 i was like:
loltiger.gif

Just got back from the tournament. Did poorly in AE, 0-2, and kept dropping combos I usually hit. But the competition was really good. Played a lot of casuals, learned some new things, and met two Bison players who are much better than I am. This shows me I have a lot of leveling to do. Brian "Rese" Pecks, the guy who runs the Rockem Sockem tournaments in NC, also brought setups. Playing on those lagless Asus monitors was awesome, makes me want one. It was also a surprise seeing MastaCJ there, he won Marvel. And Kevo, a Honda player won Grand Finals. He had some sick setups, if they upload the video of the finals I'll post it here.

Onemic

Just got back from the tournament. Did poorly in AE, 0-2, and kept dropping combos I usually hit. But the competition was really good. Played a lot of casuals, learned some new things, and met two Bison players who are much better than I am. This shows me I have a lot of leveling to do. Brian "Rese" Pecks, the guy who runs the Rockem Sockem tournaments in NC, also brought setups. Playing on those lagless Asus monitors was awesome, makes me want one. It was also a surprise seeing MastaCJ there, he won Marvel. And Kevo, a Honda player won Grand Finals. He had some sick setups, if they upload the video of the finals I'll post it here.

Kevo_huevo stealth entering tournys?

xCobalt

Going 0-2 sucks. When me and my friends went to Toryuken, we got eliminated quickly. It was tough for me since my very first match was against Snafoo, a really good Dhalsim. Afterwards, I lost to some Ryu player in losers. Getting eliminated felt worse when I knew I could have beaten that Ryu player.

Going 0-2 sucks. When me and my friends went to Toryuken, we got eliminated quickly. It was tough for me since my very first match was against Snafoo, a really good Dhalsim. Afterwards, I lost to some Ryu player in losers. Getting eliminated felt worse when I knew I could have beaten that Ryu player.

I don't feel too bad about being eliminated, I just want to see myself do better. It's hard to do that with so much competition, but it gives me drive to try to improve.

I assume this was the tourney in Anderson, SC? Well better luck next time man. And the next Rock'em Sock'em is August 25th if you can make it. Brian has really done a good job of growing this tournament. Attendance has been over 100 in the last two months.

I assume this was the tourney in Anderson, SC? Well better luck next time man. And the next Rock'em Sock'em is August 25th if you can make it. Brian has really done a good job of growing this tournament. Attendance has been over 100 in the last two months.

Yes this was the tournament in Anderson, SC. I got to talk to Brian for a bit and he seemed like a really cool dude. He was helping the TO with all the setups and I got to play a few games with him. I really want to make it out to a Rese, but I just need to save up the money for it. I don't know if I'll be able to once school starts. And thanks man, gonna keep on trying to practice and play better. If you ever want to play on PC or PSN sometime, add me.

psn: Solidgear91
gfwl: solidgear1991

xCobalt

I don't feel too bad about being eliminated, I just want to see myself do better. It's hard to do that with so much competition, but it gives me drive to try to improve.

I felt the same way too. Didn't feel too good going 0-2 but I wanted to improve so that wouldn't happen again.

My friend on the other hand, felt bad and got discouraged from playing the game lol

GG Oceanblue, maybe I can't beat you in the Ryu mirror, but you can't beat me in the Ryu mirror :p

It was fun though, I'm not much better than you from the looks of it. You already have a lot of things down so keep it up man.

OceanBlue

I don't care, lets just play.

Thanks for playing me. I'm glad I can get a long set in instead of playing random people all the time. I have a lot to work on in this game...

GG Oceanblue, maybe I can't beat you in the Ryu mirror, but you can't beat me in the Ryu mirror :p

It was fun though, I'm not much better than you from the looks of it. You already have a lot of things down so keep it up man.

Haha, I don't know about that. I was getting too much mileage from jumping in. If we were playing offline, I'm sure the skill gap would've been a lot more obvious. I was getting destroyed in neutral. I wish Ryu's walking backwards was faster, because I'm not good enough to stop people from walking up to me and I can't seem to get people to walk into my cr.MK .__. . ggs.

Also, I think I successfully blocked like 1/10 times I got knocked down or something horrible like that. I have a bad tendency to auto-pilot, and it becomes obvious when I can't ever block E.Ryu's dive kick because you're standing where I should normally block crossups.

A lot of the matches were close. I just have a bunch of tricks in my bag that you're not use to yet. I think you got hit by every EX axe kick I did. I did some of them in desperation just to try and come back to win rounds and it worked because you just weren't use to them. You also weren't blocking or anti-airing dive kicks for the first 10 or so matches when I played Evil Ryu. I did get hit by a lot of your jump ins because I was trying to DP them. Offline wouldn't be any different to be honest, DP'ing jump ins in one of my weaknesses and I ate a lot of damage just to try and work on it against you. You were also really patient and hardly jumped in. So many times I stopped throwing fireballs to prepare for a jump in and pump the DP motion but you wouldn't jump. I guess you noticed that from me.

We did play the Ryu mirror 3 times and I was 0-3. I main'd Ryu for about 2 years(practically 19 years if you count SF2: WW) so it's not like I played him just because he was another Shoto. But you were out dueling me in footsies, anti-air, and the fireball game so that's why I went back to Evil Ryu so I could have more tools and gimmicks to use.

rCIZZLE

If its not fill can someone shoot me an invite at cizzle814? Thanks

Edit: looks like i missed that lol. If any gaffers want to play lmk!

Kevo! Man, do they still play AE? From all the updates I get a feeling they all think AE is ass. I'm not sure if they're being facetious or not.

you know, i have no idea. my friend that has been going says ae usually has 1 or 2 setups at most. i was hoping that since they were running that test ranbat (or possibly swiss tourney) there would be a better turnout tonight. if i go (highly likely), i'll be bringing a setup for ae. i just haven't had some good offline play in months.

xCobalt

Random or ranking battles. Usually a local spot that hosts weekly tournaments to determine who is the best. Points are given based on the place you finished in the tournament.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ever since I changed ISP's, my connection with you has been ultra ass.

Everyone else is fine.

It seemed fine to me last game. Though I wouldn't count one game. I can not lag with someone one day and be really bad the next. I lag with nearly all PSN and a bunch of Live people. We are far away so that could be it.

Black Vegeta, show up to my stream chat sometime before Friday night. You too Rice, Edge, Jlai, Eva, etc.

Top Bottom