• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

So I'm thinking about getting into this game a bit. After messing around with a few characters I decided I really liked Cody. Is he a lower tiered character or are guys successful with him?

So I'm thinking about getting into this game a bit. After messing around with a few characters I decided I really liked Cody. Is he a lower tiered character or are guys successful with him?

In AE2012 he's a very solid character. Mid tier at least and some even say upper mid tier.

Onemic

Eventhubs probably has the most unreliable tier list since its based off of member votes.

I'd say hes upper mid tier.

What is a good tier list for reference anyway? There doesn't seem to be any real agreed upon tier list except for Seth, Cammy, and Fei Long being S tier.

And it seems practicing block strings helped tremendously. After beginning to implement them into my game I jumped from 300pp to 900pp in the span of about an hour. (I actually beat a few 1500+ pp dudes too, which I've never done before with Yun or even Ryu)I expect to drop a bit, but the results have been great so far. I've also been trying to put my lab time I've had with genei jin in game, so far I've still been unsuccessful in applying it to the game perfectly, mostly due to lag for whatever reason deciding to pop up as soon as I activate it, making the first hit get blocked.(Seriously in my lag free games I've had a lag spike has come in when activating genei jin about 90% of the time) But it's coming along and hopefully, barring another lag spike, I can input it in perfectly.

I love this character and I really don't know why people dropped him in 2012, even if he got nerfed.

xCobalt

What is a good tier list for reference anyway? There doesn't seem to be any real agreed upon tier list except for Seth, Cammy, and Fei Long being S tier.

And it seems practicing block strings helped tremendously. After beginning to implement them into my game I jumped from 300pp to 900pp in the span of about an hour. (I actually beat a few 1500+ pp dudes too, which I've never done before with Yun or even Ryu)I expect to drop a bit, but the results have been great so far. I've also been trying to put my lab time I've had with genei jin in game, so far I've still been unsuccessful in applying it to the game perfectly, mostly due to lag for whatever reason deciding to pop up as soon as I activate it, making the first hit get blocked.(Seriously in my lag free games I've had a lag spike has come in when activating genei jin about 90% of the time) But it's coming along and hopefully, barring another lag spike, I can input it in perfectly.

I love this character and I really don't know why people dropped him in 2012, even if he got nerfed.

I don't think theres a go to list. It would be very difficult to make a list that a majority of people would agree with considering how balanced this game is. I think this is the latest tier list released (from a japanese player):

A: Seth, Cammy, Fei Long, Adon

B :Ryu, Ken, E-Honda, Boxer, Claw, Sagat, Dictator, C.Viper, Rufus, Gouki, Sakura, Ibuki Makoto, Juri

C: Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Abel, Rose, Gen, Cody, Guy, Dudley, Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni

D: Chun, El.Fuerte, Gouken Dan, T.Hawk, Dee Jay, Hakan

Marz

Anyone play this game on PSN?

Add me: EdiblePwncakes

I main Guy, and would like a challenge.

Hey I main Guy too.....i'm decent. I hate the ditto but we should play a little bit later tonight after I get home from school if you're free.

I'm away from the PS3 for a couple hours so add me if you want: Marz1991 or i'll add you when I get home.

Onemic

Just a question on Yun blockstrings. Does anyone know if cr.lp, TC5 is still a true block string with the added cr.lp at the beginning?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It is not safe, don't do it. A lot of his stuff is not safe anymore. A good block string is crouching low kick times two, crouching low punch, standing low punch, standing medium into low shoulder tackle.

I'll be playing tonight.

kodecraft

No not another wanna-be Cody mainer....lol. Nah, pick who you like, have you played Alpha 3?

btw,,,Cody is my main. (If only Charlie was in this game)

xCobalt

It is not safe, don't do it. A lot of his stuff is not safe anymore. A good block string is crouching low kick times two, crouching low punch, standing low punch, standing medium into low shoulder tackle.

I'll be playing tonight.

Isn't the shoulder -3 on block? It has a lot of startup too I think (15 frames?).

Onemic

Isn't the shoulder -3 on block? It has a lot of startup too I think (15 frames?).

lp shoulder is - on block but is safe because of the pushback. The only way it can be punished is if it is reversaled 1 frame between the st.mp as st.mpxxlp shoulder isn't a true block string.

I thought TC5 into lp shoulder actually was a true blockstring, at least according to the shoryuken guys, so I just figured adding a cr.lp at the beginning wouldn't change that.

Anyone on psn ever play Kobe012? Really legit Fei Long player IMO, and he's a really good sport about things.
At one point we were 3-3 then he just fucking tore me up and we finished our set like 15-5 or something. I realize fei is a terrible matchup for Honda, but I was super salty bc I feel i legitimately gave away like 4 or 5 games. This was good though, Ive spent too much time with marvel lately and was really rusty and predictable. I'm gonna shelf marvel for a while; I havent truly focused on sf since scr.

cHaotix8

Cody is a really solid character and really only loses to dive kick characters and Guile. A lot of people consider him low tier because of his bad wakeup but his footsie tools and rushdown more then make up for it. I think he's a pretty good character for a beginner because he'll teach you how to play footsies/solidly while help improving your defense.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll play in a little while. After I eat and settle down.

Yun's s.mp to lp shoulder tackle is good for applying pressure. Many people do it. And you can hit confirm super from it.

^
Forward, half circle to back then up forward. That's the easiest way for me.

xCobalt

Alright, I started doing the challenges with Cammy tonight, and it has already improved my play a ton (I think). But I got stuck on her 12th trial. Here is a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITNdQ-RXSgY&feature=player_detailpage#t=62s

Does anyone know how I can do that instant cannon strike? I cannot figure it out!

Also, Ibuki seems like a fun character, maybe I'll try her next.

I believe IA cannon strike can be performed either by quarter circle back, up forward then kick or start at up forward and roll the stick all the way to back.

Cammy's regular cannon strike was nerfed in ae so I don't know if the first method will work.

I'll play in a little while. After I eat and settle down.

Yun's s.mp to lp shoulder tackle is good for applying pressure. Many people do it. And you can hit confirm super from it.

^
Forward, half circle to back then up forward. That's the easiest way for me.

I believe IA cannon strike can be performed either by quarter circle back, up forward then kick or start at up forward and roll the stick all the way to back.

Cammy's regular cannon strike was nerfed in ae so I don't know if the first method will work.

Thanks kids, I'll try that next time I get on!

xCobalt

I'm down to play. Gonna test some stuff in training mode then I'll join your lobby if you have one open

Edit: My network seems to be more laggy than usual. Gonna fix it and i'll join again if you're still play kadey.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No I didn't stream that session. I never stream on Wednesday due to Big Two and WNF. And wherever any major stream is going that interests me. Usually I do when I have a lobby up. And yeah, stream is meant for just chilling so the less amount of people, the less chances of having your standard idiotic stream monster in it. And unlike other streams, I won't hesitate to ban for nonsense.

I should be streaming later tonight if people want to play and I'm not tired.

Double SRK into ultra!, never before in a match. Because it's impractical. But I wanted to do it just for show. http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/326407561

Going to a local tournament tomorrow, plan on entering AE and KoF 13. It's expected to be much bigger than usual and I haven't gotten much practice time, so I don't expect to do that great. I'll be in the lab for most of the day, though, and will be down to play matches later tonight.

I wouldn't have minded had it been streamed, I was just curious. I may be on tonight, and will pop in to check it out.

Does twitch.tv not operate well in Safari? The stream has ben choppy whenever I go there. I don't ever remember having that problem watching SCII, but I haven't really watched much since the twitch and justin.tv split off a bit.

Also, what's a stream monster?

Edgeward

Also, what's a stream monster?

Originally it was, many times still is, a derisive word for people that watch streams. Mainly those that go into chats and troll.

Nowadays it is more generally accepted as term for everyone that watching a stream and participating in a chat regardless of attitude or behavior. There are some that would be highly offended to be labelled as a stream monster though but whatever.

It can also be used as a verb. For example, the avg fgc gaffer stream monsters about 4 hours a week watching FGC streams. Or I am steam monstering right now on my phone.

Going to a local tournament tomorrow, plan on entering AE and KoF 13. It's expected to be much bigger than usual and I haven't gotten much practice time, so I don't expect to do that great. I'll be in the lab for most of the day, though, and will be down to play matches later tonight.

i'll try to be on later tonight, most likely after 9 PST

Top Bottom