• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Rice Eater, added you on GFWL

Friendship....accepted

It seemed fine to me last game. Though I wouldn't count one game. I can not lag with someone one day and be really bad the next. I lag with nearly all PSN and a bunch of Live people. We are far away so that could be it.

Black Vegeta, show up to my stream chat sometime before Friday night. You too Rice, Edge, Jlai, Eva, etc.

If you're on late at night I will, but if not that I can't because I don't get home from work until 1-2 AM in the morning each night.

Edgeward

It seemed fine to me last game. Though I wouldn't count one game. I can not lag with someone one day and be really bad the next. I lag with nearly all PSN and a bunch of Live people. We are far away so that could be it.

Black Vegeta, show up to my stream chat sometime before Friday night. You too Rice, Edge, Jlai, Eva, etc.

Dont worry I was planning to already. :)

Question. Is plinking just like piano keying in SF3?

Not really. Piano wants the keys to be inputted one after another. Plinking wants the keys to be pressed almost but not exactly together at the same time.

Fraeon

Is there a place that still has the Honda mirror match with Ii Desu Ketsu Bat and Ara Four where the dudes literally just down-backed for an entire round?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm going to stream tonight so be there. If you can't contact me, you can message me on Twitch or here but my mailbox is constantly getting full.

:(

Edgeward

The VF guys have been complaining about network issues earlier this week as well about it. Might have something to do with the maintenance of last week. Who knows

How the fuck do I tech throws?

shoryuken.png

I'm not kidding. I just lost a match because I got knocked down and got thrown 4 times in a row. How the FUCK do you tech throws? Because it sure as shit isn't lp+lk.

Krackatoa

Question. Is plinking just like piano keying in SF3?

Due to how the SFIV handles input leniency in regards to buttons, you get a repeated input based on "input priority".

Hit HP on the first frame, hit MP on the second while still holding HP. Holding HP would happen anyways, since the buttons are being hit so close together. What you get is an HP input, followed immediately on the next frame by an HP+MP input. This is due to SFIV's embedded leniency for EX moves (Which allows for a single frame worth of leeway when hitting two buttons)

This gives you one frame of HP and another HP input on the following frame. You may have noticed that if you press HP and MP together at the same time when you're just standing around, you'll notice that you'll just get HP. This is due to input priority.

"Priority Linking" or P-Linking. Turning 1-frame links into 2-frame links since 2008.

In SFIII, you piano to get a Super input on multiple sequential frames during link situations. You can do that in SFIV as well. SFIII doesn't have that whole embedded "Two frame leniency for combination inputs" that SFIV does, so it doesn't offer the same utility when using it for linking normals (Only Supers and Specials where button strength doesn't matter so much). Edit: The SFIII stuff is one of those "I think I'm remembering that right" bits of information.

TF2 has Cloudius, and you can't have him back.

When I played Abel I would always just mash down-back LP + LK. I don't know if it ever worked to tech throws, but it probably annoyed people getting hit by random lk's when they missed their combo or tried to walk forward.

Onemic

Went to an arcade for the first time in my life today. Stood by an sf4 cab watching dudes play for like an hour then left...was interesting I guess

OceanBlue

Went to an arcade for the first time in my life today. Stood by an sf4 cab watching dudes play for like an hour then left...was interesting I guess

Did you try to get some games in? I think you would've had more fun that way. I didn't know what the big deal with tournaments and majors was until I started playing.

Onemic

Did you try to get some games in? I think you would've had more fun that way. I didn't know what the big deal with tournaments and majors was until I started playing.

I was actually supposed to meet some dudes from the dustloop forums, but I had no idea how any of them looked like or if they were even there. The cabs seemed like they were sorta reserved for people as people would stay on even after losing. The atnosphere just seemed really inclusive and me not knowing who anyone was just seemed to make it worse. Not to mention I'm still a newbie so requesting a spot just to get my ass kicked when I don't know anyone didn't seem like a good idea.

One thing I noticed though, people mash. a lot. I generally try not to, but seeing good players do it makes me wonder if I should. I will say watching people play in rl makes me wants to get even better as I saw some serious salt being shown during some of the matches.

Edgeward

I don't know if that is the case there, but people won't get off if no one puts a quarter on the table to call their turn in line. You just place your token/quarter on the table to call your turn and then wait in line.

OceanBlue

I was actually supposed to meet some dudes from the dustloop forums, but I had no idea how any of them looked like or if they were even there. The cabs seemed like they were sorta reserved for people as people would stay on even after losing. The atnosphere just seemed really inclusive and me not knowing who anyone was just seemed to make it worse. Not to mention I'm still a newbie so requesting a spot just to get my ass kicked when I don't know anyone didn't seem like a good idea.

One thing I noticed though, people mash. a lot. I generally try not to, but seeing good players do it makes me wonder if I should. I will say watching people play in rl makes me wants to get even better as I saw some serious salt being shown during some of the matches.

I don't know how it is at arcades, but I know at majors you have to be proactive. Don't just sit by and hope they get off. You have to show that you actually want to play and that you aren't just going to let some guy sit at the station for 10+ matches because he can't win a game. With an arcade, I would imagine that it feels inclusive. You're the new person and they're all people who've been playing with each other for a while. That's how I felt trying to join my local scene when I started playing fighting games too.

I don't think you should worry about wasting other people's time because you're bad. What I always say for people who think this is that you aren't responsible for other people having fun. Becoming part of your local scene becomes a lot of fun and you meet a lot of really great people, so that's why I don't think people should feel shy about wasting people's time. You're there to learn, after all. No one starts off amazing at fighting games.

Well, I'm not good at fighting games so my experience is probably different than others', but that's my experience with participating at majors.

Maybe people were playing best 2 out of 3? Were the machines actual arcade cabinets or console setups where people have to put in tokens?

Onemic

Maybe people were playing best 2 out of 3? Were the machines actual arcade cabinets or console setups where people have to put in tokens?

Arcade cabinets. I'll probably go there again next week and find out who the dustloop dudes are beforehand. If I did that before it would've been a lot easier to get comfortable there.

One thing I noticed though is that 2D games(blazblue, SF3, etc.) seem to look a hell of a lot better on a cabinet than it does on my PS3.

I'm getting back to SSF4AE. Bought it on PC and finally able to play online again. It's been about 9 months since I played last time.

Any EU PC players still playing? Please add GT: Rocky Balboa if you want to play some times against my shitty Rog. Include a message or I won't probably accept the Friend Request. Getting a lot of random requests.

I'm getting back to SSF4AE. Bought it on PC and finally able to play online again. It's been about 9 months since I played last time.

Any EU PC players still playing? Please add GT: Rocky Balboa if you want to play some times against my shitty Rog. Include a message or I won't probably accept the Friend Request. Getting a lot of random requests.

Good to know you're still alive Rocky. Anymore adventures with our favorite racist, Ferdi? J/K, lets not get into that.

But it's good to know you're playing again. From what I've noticed, European SF players aren't too active on GAF anymore. I think we have more active European Marvel players than SF players nowadays. SF-GAF in general has really faded as more guys drop out from posting(not playing though). I'd play you, but I don't see a American-Europe matches going too well. Good luck though.

Good to know you're still alive Rocky. Anymore adventures with our favorite racist, Ferdi? J/K, lets not get into that.

But it's good to know you're playing again. From what I've noticed, European SF players aren't too active on GAF anymore. I think we have more active European Marvel players than SF players nowadays. SF-GAF in general has really faded as more guys drop out from posting(not playing though). I'd play you, but I don't see a American-Europe matches going too well. Good luck though.

Yeah, I was out of the game because my new TV isn't suitable for playing Fighting Games and also because Xbox's wireless connection sucks.

Finding a lot of EU random players with GFWL, but would be nice to play against some GAFfers also. Sadly Ferdi isn't on the PC-side, but I think his brother or some close friend plays on the PC. Maybe I'll get some new nice video material some day. Ferdi still posts some offensive messages with his new Youtube accounts to that video so he is still providing some regular entertainment.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just purchased SSF4 Arcade Edition off of Steam. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos of fighting games lately for some reason [SFxT, MVC3, Third Strike], so I guess it was time to just go and try it out for myself.

Aside from SSF2 HD Turbo and Mortal Kombat I have no experience with fighting games whatsoever, so I'm curious to see how this goes.

O god what is happening I am not good at this game, I have to start from the ground up with my man Guy. Game looks stunning though, wow. The Africa solar eclipse stage looks amazing.

Top Bottom