• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Onemic

Bison is simple to use but hard to win with because of his lack of damage and mix ups. He has options to get around and escape. You will get used to the charging the more you play him or other charge characters.

what makes him a good character then? pressure, pokes, and counterhits?

xCobalt

I guess because shes supposed to be a rushdown character based on frametraps? Unless Bison is like that. Honestly, watching bison play he seems pretty similar to her.

Have you tried Cody? He has many frame traps and they're all very damaging.

Scissor Kicks are safe on block too (depending on the distance), and depending on which character you're fighting, are plus on block since they can't respond with anything fast enough to stop you from doing a second one or a standing Roundhouse.

New to the thread, play ssf4 online. Im a beginner to street fighter. So im playing an akuma, and all he does is jump backwards firball and red fireball. And i have no idea what to do. I play Ryu and im a rank C+. (again im only a beginner)

Any advice would be great.

xCobalt

New to the thread, play ssf4 online. Im a beginner to street fighter. So im playing an akuma, and all he does is jump backwards firball and red fireball. And i have no idea what to do. I play Ryu and im a rank C+. (again im only a beginner)

Any advice would be great.

I don't play Ryu so other players could chime in with better advice. I would probably focus on throwing fireballs as well. If you're in a fireball war, Akuma has to take more risks or initiative since he has lower health. Build your meter and when you think he's going to throw out a regular fireball, you should be able to react with EX Fireball and get the knockdown. You can dash in and start applying pressure from there.

If Akuma does the red fireball, you have several different options depending on where you are on the screen. If you're farther than half screen, just block or neutral jump (if you jump forward, Akuma will probably be able to recover in time and dp). If you're closer, you can jump over it and punish Akuma. I think you can also tatsu over the fireball too.

OceanBlue

I don't play Ryu so other players could chime in with better advice. I would probably focus on throwing fireballs as well. If you're in a fireball war, Akuma has to take more risks or initiative since he has lower health. Build your meter and when you think he's going to throw out a regular fireball, you should be able to react with EX Fireball and get the knockdown. You can dash in and start applying pressure from there.

If Akuma does the red fireball, you have several different options depending on where you are on the screen. If you're farther than half screen, just block or neutral jump (if you jump forward, Akuma will probably be able to recover in time and dp). If you're closer, you can jump over it and punish Akuma. I think you can also tatsu over the fireball too.

I'm an awful Ryu, but I'll add to this. My friend plays Akuma so here's the advice he gave me.

If you try and punish Shakunetsu, keep in mind that Akuma can throw a one-hit fireball that recovers in the same time as a regular fireball. The three-hit fireball takes forever to recover so you can punish it on reaction, but he can trick you into jumping on reaction and get an anti-air into vortex.

At far range, when Akuma has meter he can EX palm if he guesses that you're going to throw a fireball. You can apparently jump and punish, but I'm always getting caught throwing fireballs so...

At mid-far range, if you predict an neutral air fireball, you can dash under and sweep. You might trade, but the trade is in your favor. That requires you to commit to not throwing a fireball though. If he jumps back and does an air fireball, you can just walk him into the corner. You have to be able to keep him there though.

My friend is good and I'm bad, so I never win because I autopilot, I can't deal with Akuma's footsies/walk speed, and I suck at defense/blocking vortex, but this is the advice I've gotten.

xCobalt

I'm an awful Ryu, but I'll add to this. My friend plays Akuma so here's the advice he gave me.

If you try and punish Shakunetsu, keep in mind that Akuma can throw a one-hit fireball that recovers in the same time as a regular fireball. The three-hit fireball takes forever to recover so you can punish it on reaction, but he can trick you into jumping on reaction and get an anti-air into vortex.

At far range, when Akuma has meter he can EX palm if he guesses that you're going to throw a fireball. You can apparently jump and punish, but I'm always getting caught throwing fireballs so...

At mid-far range, if you predict an neutral air fireball, you can dash under and sweep. You might trade, but the trade is in your favor. That requires you to commit to not throwing a fireball though. If he jumps back and does an air fireball, you can just walk him into the corner. You have to be able to keep him there though.

My friend is good and I'm bad, so I never win because I autopilot, I can't deal with Akuma's footsies/walk speed, and I suck at defense/blocking vortex, but this is the advice I've gotten.

Akuma's 1 hit red fireball has more frames than his regular fireball, both on recovery and startup I believe.

A friend of mine has a pretty good akuma and it can definitely be frustrating at times with the vortex. Just remember that you can crouch block his demon flip followups with the exception of throw.

I suggest working on some option selects to discourage teleports. It's something I've been trying to work on too.

AutumnAve

I'm so soured on the game at this point I've thrown it in the trash twice, dug it back out, played some more, started seeing red, flexed the disc in my hands, fantasizing about snapping it. No other video game inspires this level of hate and blood lust in me. I need a break ( ._.) but I committed to the Ranbats, and I take my commitments seriously. Can I get some encouragement?

I'm so soured on the game at this point I've thrown it in the trash twice, dug it back out, played some more, started seeing red, flexed the disc in my hands, fantasizing about snapping it. No other video game inspires this level of hate and blood lust in me. I need a break ( ._.) but I committed to the Ranbats, and I take my commitments seriously. Can I get some encouragement?

threi has snapped his disc in half, yet claimed it was not in rage.
Yoshi-chan was in love with Yun until the nerfs, then stopped playing entirely because of them. He also threw his stick in the trash, and broke three keyboards (although those were related to Starcraft, I think).

The point is, there's always someone madder than you. Take a deep breath, shut the game down, maybe fap once or twice, and leave it alone until the next day. You'll feel a lot better.

AutumnAve

threi has snapped his disc in half, yet claimed it was not in rage.
Yoshi-chan was in love with Yun until the nerfs, then stopped playing entirely because of them. He also threw his stick in the trash, and broke three keyboards (although those were related to Starcraft, I think).

The point is, there's always someone madder than you. Take a deep breath, shut the game down, maybe fap once or twice, and leave it alone until the next day. You'll feel a lot better.

Thanks. I seriously feel like I can't play this game anymore. Like I need to be broken down and start all over.

xCobalt

My inconsistency, sometimes I can link a Ryu Bread and Butter. Most times I can't. I feel like I'm losing to myself, that's a battle I feel like I shouldn't ever lose.

How often do you practice doing links? Every time I take a break from ae I always grind bnbs. My little regiment is to do the same bnb 30 times in a row without dropping it. If it drops, start over.

If you're playing online, you can't beat yourself up for dropping combos. Lag is always present.

I should probably plink T.Hawk's lp to mp link, but the need to do the link in general doesn't really happen all that often since I mainly play footsies until I notice that they're scared.

OceanBlue

My inconsistency, sometimes I can link a Ryu Bread and Butter. Most times I can't. I feel like I'm losing to myself, that's a battle I feel like I shouldn't ever lose.

Ah, well. If there's a bright side, it's that you're losing because you haven't committed combos to muscle memory yet. Committing combos to muscle memory is something that's easy to work on because you just grind it out in training mode. I'm really dumb and it shows in my gameplay because I never adapt and I play brainlessly, and it sucks because I can't just grind that out in training mode.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Doesn't matter how great you are with links. You can throw your skills out the window when you play online on PSN. Every match is different timing. Just have to get use to it for that particular match and the next opponent is different and it just keeps going on. Live is more bearable but once you get really tuned to offline then it would start to bother you too. Online play is more focused on fundamentals, spamming and mashing. Find something that works and go to Texas!

Any general advice for a beginner to get better? I play Ryu. Win on average half of my online matches, but get caught out with some basic cheap strategies (Evasive akumas, turtling blankas etc)

xCobalt

Any general advice for a beginner to get better? I play Ryu. Win on average half of my online matches, but get caught out with some basic cheap strategies (Evasive akumas, turtling blankas etc)

Know how all your normals work. Beginners tend to focus only on special moves and roundhouse or fierce. Know which ranges you can anti air. I think ryu can use cr.hp, st.hp and st.hk for decent anti airs. I think the latter 2 may be more useful for empty jumps.

Learn how to do auto correct dp. This will be very useful if someone goes for an obvious cross up

Try to only do wake up dp if you have 2 bars to cancel it to make it safe

Onemic

Know how all your normals work. Beginners tend to focus only on special moves and roundhouse or fierce. Know which ranges you can anti air. I think ryu can use cr.hp, st.hp and st.hk for decent anti airs. I think the latter 2 may be more useful for empty jumps.

Learn how to do auto correct dp. This will be very useful if someone goes for an obvious cross up

Try to only do wake up dp if you have 2 bars to cancel it to make it safe

How do you do this?

Onemic

PSN store no longer has super street fighter 4 or arcade edition listed. I wanted to finally get all the dlc so I can see what people are wearing, guess not.

Regarding execution, I'd be happy if I could do Akuma's knockbown bnb 50% of the time in training mode.

Marz

PSN store no longer has super street fighter 4 or arcade edition listed. I wanted to finally get all the dlc so I can see what people are wearing, guess not.

Regarding execution, I'd be happy if I could do Akuma's knockbown bnb 50% of the time in training mode.

I wanted to play last night dood:( too bad we kept missing each other.

quanchu

They added a lot of features to the replay system and the ability to follow other players i believe. There are also new achieves and titles, lol. Lots of balance changes to the whole cast too.

Onemic

They added a lot of features to the replay system and the ability to follow other players i believe. There are also new achieves and titles, lol. Lots of balance changes to the whole cast too.

I still have no idea how to do this.

I think I've practiced Akumas BnB basic knockdown combo for almost 3 hours now. i still can only get it maybe 20% of the time. Im really lucky if I can get three in a row. :(

xCobalt

I still have no idea how to do this.

I think I've practiced Akumas BnB basic knockdown combo for almost 3 hours now. i still can only get it maybe 20% of the time. Im really lucky if I can get three in a row. :(

I think you just go to the leaderboards and press a certain button (forget which) and you'll follow them. It gets annoying after awhile because you'll keep getting notifications of new replays and it'll ask you to save it or not.

Which bnb is it? Keep practicing the part where you drop it the most...there's no need to do the whole combo.

Onemic

I think you just go to the leaderboards and press a certain button (forget which) and you'll follow them. It gets annoying after awhile because you'll keep getting notifications of new replays and it'll ask you to save it or not.

Which bnb is it? Keep practicing the part where you drop it the most...there's no need to do the whole combo.

its cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mpxxlk tatsu, cr.hk

The tatsu to cr.hk messes me up the most, but I seem to have more success when doing it by itself than when adding it to the combo. I also drop the cr.lp, cr.mp link from time to time as well.

I guess the bigger problem than that combo is that I dont even know how to apply it in game. everyone AA's me when I try doing a jump in and those rare times I do get in its so sudden I forget the combo/hit confirm completely and just start mashing crouch tech or lk instead.

Joule

The tatsu to cr.hk messes me up the most, but I seem to have more success when doing it by itself than when adding it to the combo. I also drop the cr.lp, cr.mp link from time to time as well.

I guess the bigger problem than that combo is that I dont even know how to apply it in game. everyone AA's me when I try doing a jump in and those rare times I do get in its so sudden I forget the combo/hit confirm completely and just start mashing crouch tech or lk instead.

You can try plinking the cr.hk to make it easier. Beyond that it's just about adjusting your timing.

As for its usage well you can use it as part of an empty jump low for one. It can also be converted to a block string if you end it at cr.mp or cancel that into fireball. If the cr.lk of your crouch tech hits it can confirm in this.

OceanBlue

That combo is character specific. You want it because it gives you a hard knockdown, and there are setups Akuma has after them that beats DPs and are really mean mixups in general.

xCobalt

If you didn't know, light tatsu into sweep is character specific. It won't work on everyone. However, crossup air tatsu into sweep works against the entire cast. Here's a post from SRK.

You shouldn't be jumping in on anyone unless they're knocked down or if you're out of range from their anti airs. Even if your opponent is knocked down, you still can't jump in on characters with 3f reversals.

Just walk towards your opponent and see what their tendencies are. If they're pressing a lot of buttons you can setup counter hits or frame traps with cr.mp and can link a sweep afterwards. You can also try a sweep if they're whiffing slow moves as well.

You could consider playing a more reactionary playstyle and try to improve on fundamentals. Don't focus on doing combos but rather anti airs, footsies, blocking, ect. Being able to hit combos comes easier if you're more familiar with your character.

Onemic

That combo is character specific. You want it because it gives you a hard knockdown, and there are setups Akuma has after them that beats DPs and are really mean mixups in general.

Ya, I know that, I always practice it against Fei long or cammy. My problem is that I don't know what any of the mixups after his sweep from that combo are are(besides crossup tatsu).

Ive already been plinking the cr.HK link, and I still manage missing it a good 1/5 of the time.

If you didn't know, light tatsu into sweep is character specific. It won't work on everyone. However, crossup air tatsu into sweep works against the entire cast. Here's a post from SRK.

You shouldn't be jumping in on anyone unless they're knocked down or if you're out of range from their anti airs. Even if your opponent is knocked down, you still can't jump in on characters with 3f reversals.

Just walk towards your opponent and see what their tendencies are. If they're pressing a lot of buttons you can setup counter hits or frame traps with cr.mp and can link a sweep afterwards. You can also try a sweep if they're whiffing slow moves as well.

You could consider playing a more reactionary playstyle and try to improve on fundamentals. Don't focus on doing combos but rather anti airs, footsies, blocking, ect. Being able to hit combos comes easier if you're more familiar with your character.

do you have gfwl or PSN? I guess another problem is that I play ranked far too much instead of player matches where I tend to practice things more and not focus on winning.

xCobalt

Ya, I know that, I always practice it against Fei long or cammy. My problem is that I don't know what any of the mixups after his sweep from that combo are are(besides crossup tatsu).

Ive already been plinking the cr.HK link, and I still manage missing it a good 1/5 of the time.

do you have gfwl or PSN? I guess another problem is that I play ranked far too much instead of player matches where I tend to practice things more and not focus on winning.

After Akuma's sweep, there's a myriad of options you can do that forces your opponent to guess. Demon flip throw - beats blocking, demon flip palm - beats jumping/backdashing/bad reversals, demon flip palm whiff (you can land on the other side too) and go for a low hit into bnb, cross up tatsu, ambiguous jump ins with j.lk or j.hk. You can keep it simple too and just dash up throw or do nothing and bait out reversals. Akuma's vortex is very scary.

I only have XBL, sorry.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Everybody lags. Some people lot more than others. I wouldn't take online too seriously. I hate playing on PSN but it's the only option with a lot of people.

Top Bottom