• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

jlai

So, for those of you who have the pc version: Am I just going to have to get used to screen tearing if I absolutely do not want input lag? Vsync is kind of a killer.

I've seen people talk about using D3DOverrider as a way to have minimal input lag and no screen tearing. Never looked into it myself though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No need to make jokes on something that was a given from the start :p

;)

At least I have this to rest my head on at night, so it's not so bad:

AEgQlm.jpg

So a few days ago I'm playing Meserman in a endless lobby in the PC version. He's Guile and I'm Evil Ryu, ER has a unblockable against Guile. I attempted it twice, the first time I mistimed it. The 2nd time I nailed it, I was so fucking happy because that's the first unblockable I've ever landed in a real match. And what did I do next? I dropped a simple 2 frame link that I hit probably 90% of the time. It really killed the moment for me as it would have been much more memorable if I had killed him with that combo, or at least finished it.

So a few days ago I'm playing Meserman in a endless lobby in the PC version. He's Guile and I'm Evil Ryu, ER has a unblockable against Guile. I attempted it twice, the first time I mistimed it. The 2nd time I nailed it, I was so fucking happy because that's the first unblockable I've ever landed in a real match. And what did I do next? I dropped a simple 2 frame link that I hit probably 90% of the time. It really killed the moment for me as it would have been much more memorable if I had killed him with that combo, or at least finished it.

Go into replay mode, watch the match and once you hit the unblockable, stop it. Restart the match, rinse and repeat. That's way, you're noob execution never happened. ^_^

Mœbius

Ono is gauging interest in another AE balance update on his Twitter.

Go tell him you want it!
With Vega buffs!

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin

I think another balance update could be bad; the game is pretty well balanced in its current form and any potential cool additions and re-tuning of characters would not be worth it if a side-effect of it is another twins edition debacle... it's just not worth the risk.

Best way to keep it fresh / interesting (aside from addressing any glaring bugs) is simply adding new superficial content - namely costumes and stages - until SFV.

the game is pretty well balanced in its current form and any potential cool additions and re-tuning of characters would not be worth it if a side-effect of it is another twins edition debacle.

You act like Ono is going to purposely overpower characters again. He learned his lesson, which is why he updated AE after that in the first place.

I don't think a balance update is needed and that the balance in this game is fine. What I would like to see is an update to existing features. Add online training mode so that you and a buddy can practice together, add more trials, etc.

xCobalt

I'm indifferent about another patch. The game right now is very balanced but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the lower tiered characters moved up a bit.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I thought Capcom were planning to release new costumes? I remember hearing reports of new costumes seen at Captivate earlier this year.

Mœbius

You act like Ono is going to purposely overpower characters again. He learned his lesson, which is why he updated AE after that in the first place.
I said side-effect - as in I realise they wouldn't aim to overpower characters again. He (or rather the dev team) may not purposefully intend to do it, but it could happen - that's my point.

I'm down with a patch if it means fixing unblockables and removing select plinking.

Why would you have a problem with plinking jab when you can plink the other 5 normal attacks in this game? As for unblockables, I wonder if it's even possible. Even if they took care of all the known ones, changing characters frames may just lead to new ones.

BTW I tweeted to Ono in support of AE 2013. I mean we E-sports now, might as well begin with a new version as well to liven things up. Maybe not right away, but sometime from the beginning of the new year to before EVO at least. I'm just hoping for another balance update, not new characters, modes, and other stuff. So it shouldn't take that long if they were to do it.

Grakl

Is there a reason why there are massive FPS drops in the PC version while playing online? I always run Fraps when playing, and it reports a constant 60FPS even when these drops happen. The opponents I play always have the best connection and an A on the benchmark.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why would you have a problem with plinking jab when you can plink the other 5 normal attacks in this game? As for unblockables, I wonder if it's even possible. Even if they took care of all the known ones, changing characters frames may just lead to new ones.

BTW I tweeted to Ono in support of AE 2013. I mean we E-sports now, might as well begin with a new version as well to liven things up. Maybe not right away, but sometime from the beginning of the new year to before EVO at least. I'm just hoping for another balance update, not new characters, modes, and other stuff. So it shouldn't take that long if they were to do it.

The issue isn't people plinking jab. It's people being able to wire their sticks so that every button plinks automatically.

I want them to remove unblockables, improve the netcode, give Dhalsim his damage from Super back, and change Cammy's spiral arrow to the way it was in non-2012 AE. Otherwise, don't fuck with shit. Most of the people whining about their characters these days are just ass.

stn

Is there a reason why there are massive FPS drops in the PC version while playing online? I always run Fraps when playing, and it reports a constant 60FPS even when these drops happen. The opponents I play always have the best connection and an A on the benchmark.
Not sure why this happens? However, if you want to record matches you can literally play as you normally would, then activate FRAPS and go into your replays. I've never played AE on PC but I assume it has the replay function, right?

The only thing that sucks about this is you won't be able to catch rage-quitters live, in case that's something you wanted to secretly do. :)

Oh lawd, possibility of another update? If you had to, just take out the unblockables like others have said.

Add in some fluff content, too. Stages costumes, whatever. I'll pay for that shit.

And nerf Dhalsim to hell some more, please.

xCobalt

The issue isn't people plinking jab. It's people being able to wire their sticks so that every button plinks automatically.

I don't think people are modding their sticks to plink automatically. I remember reading an article where someone said it was rather difficult to do. Maybe someone could post the article but it I recall the writer saying you can't simply rewire your stick but you have to somehow delay the input by 1/60 of a second which can be tough.

Plink automatically? You mean there is a way to wire your stick that will give you this input after just one press?

jab
jab select

Or is that not what you guys mean?

It wasn't to plink automatically it was like someone said earlier mapping default jab/short to select so players could plink jab/short. Daigo, and Infil are top 2 players among others that do this from what I understand.

If that's it then I don't see it as a big deal since people are already plinking the other 5 normal attacks for the past 3 years. Adding the jab button to that doesn't mean much. I'll admit I wanted to do this myself because I can make use of it with my main character who has a 2 frame jab link in his big damage combo.

Onemic

Watching NEC makes me want to play Dee Jay. How are his charge times relative to other charge characters? They seem really short.

OceanBlue

If that's it then I don't see it as a big deal since people are already plinking the other 5 normal attacks for the past 3 years. Adding the jab button to that doesn't mean much. I'll admit I wanted to do this myself because I can make use of it with my main character who has a 2 frame jab link in his big damage combo.

The only problem I have with it is that not every player might be able to wire their stick like that. But I personally don't like links very much anyway and think that a 1-2f buffer for links would be a good idea, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask.

The only problem I have with it is that not every player might be able to wire their stick like that. But I personally don't like links very much anyway and think that a 1-2f buffer for links would be a good idea, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask.

Everyone who would want to could. You would only do that if you're hardcore and if you're hardcore you'd have the time/resources or dedication to find out how.

OceanBlue

Everyone who would want to could. You would only do that if you're hardcore and if you're hardcore you'd have the time/resources or dedication to find out how.

I guess I'm just saying that because I don't really have the drive to. Which characters really benefit from it anyway? The only character I can think of is Ibuki.

xCobalt

Watching NEC makes me want to play Dee Jay. How are his charge times relative to other charge characters? They seem really short.

Quickly looked it up and its not a big difference. Balrog's Dash punch and Bison's scissors requires 55 frames while Dee Jay's Sobat is 50 frames. His air slasher is also 50 frames which is on par with Guile. Up kicks and machine gun upper are 55 frames.

glad to know im a litmus test for new techniques QQ

I guess I'm just saying that because I don't really have the drive to. Which characters really benefit from it anyway? The only character I can think of is Ibuki.

Plinking 2 frame links I think is pretty useful. If you ever watch high level players play they double tap and plink everything.

And yes plinking 2 frame links is helpful.

Onemic

Plinking 2 frame links I think is pretty useful. If you ever watch high level players play they double tap and plink everything.

And yes plinking 2 frame links is helpful.

Oh, I thought you should only plink 1 frame links? So any link I should plink if possible no matter the frames?

And I thought double tapping is bad because it's essentially pressing a button 3 frames apart from each other?

xCobalt

Oh, I thought you should only plink 1 frame links? So any link I should plink if possible no matter the frames?

And I thought double tapping is bad because it's essentially pressing a button 3 frames apart from each other?

Plinks can be used for anything. You can use them during frame traps or for tight punishes. An extra frame of input doesn't hurt.

Wouldn't say any, but I would say it doesn't hurt to plink 2 framers. Plinking a 2 frame link makes it a 3 frame link.

If you watch or listen to top players, seems like every button is getting plinked and double tapped.

And to add to xCobalt, lots of players plink throw to a lot of buttons and even throw is plinked to help with teching.

Wouldn't say any, but I would say it doesn't hurt to plink 2 framers. Plinking a 2 frame link makes it a 3 frame link.

If you watch or listen to top players, seems like every button is getting plinked and double tapped.

And to add to xCobalt, lots of players plink throw to a lot of buttons and even throw is plinked to help with teching.

Top players just like to press buttons. Some do it to disguise what they're doing against people that listen for button presses. Others do it for no real reason because they just can't help themselves (Mike Ross).

My biggest issue with the select plink is that you have to mod a stick to do it and people can potentially make their sticks plink automatically and it's undetectable.

xCobalt

Top players just like to press buttons. Some do it to disguise what they're doing against people that listen for button presses. Others do it for no real reason because they just can't help themselves (Mike Ross).

My biggest issue with the select plink is that you have to mod a stick to do it and people can potentially make their sticks plink automatically and it's undetectable.

It can be detectable if you go into training mode and turn on inputs.

Oh lawd, possibility of another update? If you had to, just take out the unblockables like others have said.

Add in some fluff content, too. Stages costumes, whatever. I'll pay for that shit.

And nerf Dhalsim to hell some more, please.

You Monster. Oh wait this is a trap for sim players to post here. Yang is fun btw

You Monster. Oh wait this is a trap for sim players to post here. Yang is fun btw

I wanted to switch to Yang when vanilla AE came out but have not invested the time into learning him. He does require some work, more than his twin. I'm thinking about learning Ryu because he is basic enough but will help me improve my ability to zone with fireballs and anti air.

I personally don't plink with Bison except for his st. lk to st. hk link. I feel like I can hit my combos better when I tap a single button because it's more about timing to me. I find myself trying to plink with other characters though, mostly non charge chars.

wow, all this talk about plinking got me interested into finding out exactly wtf it was and now i learned it makes guiles c.lp into c. mp much easier. this was killing me when going in for basic combo.

also, how the f do you block ibuki's crossover knife?

Onemic

wow, all this talk about plinking got me interested into finding out exactly wtf it was and now i learned it makes guiles c.lp into c. mp much easier. this was killing me when going in for basic combo.

Block the other way I think?

it just depends at what height ibuki throws it. sometimes they will cross up, sometimes they wont. i dont know for sure what the trick is, just kind of lucky reacting/guessing.

Plinking won't make you win games, though.

No, but select plinking adds another barrier to entry in order to play on a level playing field. It's a huge advantage to reliably punish Boxer dash punches, for example. If they're going to make a patch anyway they should just get rid of it.

Yeah, there's not really a reliable way to block the kunai mixup since it is really ambiguous. Some characters have teleports or ex moves that can escape it but even then that escape may be punishable by ibuki's roll. Just have to hope to guess right.

K.Sabot

So many gg no re moments tonight.

Definitely down for 2013, hope they could make it a yearly balance update to keep the game lively.

Top Bottom