• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Kioshen

I thought I was done this generation, man. Should have stopped watching yogaflame24's channel. That would have helped.

Yeah that's like saying that you wanted to stop smoking but still hang out with the smoking buddies at lunch. It's not healthy :)

I've one question for Akuma/Gouki gurus... how to adjust the timing of d+hk on falling opponents ie d+mk > qdb+lk > d+hk? In training it's soo hard but online it's just impossible to me :( Is it just more and more practice? Have I to look at something ie at particular Akuma/Gouki animation frame to know when to attack? Thank you! ^__^

I'm no guru but I have a ton of videos on various subjects on fighting games so here's the answer to your question.

xCobalt

I've one question for Akuma/Gouki gurus... how to adjust the timing of d+hk on falling opponents ie d+mk > qdb+lk > d+hk? In training it's soo hard but online it's just impossible to me :( Is it just more and more practice? Have I to look at something ie at particular Akuma/Gouki animation frame to know when to attack? Thank you! ^__^

grounded tatsu into sweep is character specific while air tatsu into sweep is universal. Make sure you learn how to plink as it'll help you with that combo as well. Here's a useful link from srk that lists all of the characters.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-light-tatsu-sweep-list.108137/

cackhyena

@ Kio. I know. Couldn't help it.

Playing with this Brawl stick and literally the only difference in response I notice is the clack of the buttons. Everything else feels solid. Nice little stick for the cheap price. Will prolly still swap for Sanwas at some point.

Kioshen

GGs yerff

You aren't rusty at all landing all those combos on me. At least the only change that happened on my side is that I'm not salty anymore. Wonder why all my attempts at frame traps failed to stop you from mashing jab but hey they were nice games.

cackhyena

I don't mash, yo. C'mon. I do mash trows on wake up...aint gonna lie. I feel rusty as balls. I wanted to land a lot more combos than I did. Guile, Ibuki, Ryu. Lots of goof ups. Was feeling a dead zone possibly in the stick. Can't put my finger on it.

You've improved while I been gone. Hitting a lot of combos with Cody. I liked that Sagat pressure as well. Gotta do it again sometime soon.

Hinomura

I'm no guru but I have a ton of videos on various subjects on fighting games so here's the answer to your question.

grounded tatsu into sweep is character specific while air tatsu into sweep is universal. Make sure you learn how to plink as it'll help you with that combo as well. Here's a useful link from srk that lists all of the characters.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-light-tatsu-sweep-list.108137/

Thank you both!

xCobalt

So I heard about gamerbee's setups where he can land a safe jump regardless of whether you quick rise or not, I finally found something similar for Gouken. Time to practice!

stn

Hinomura

You're talking about sweeping after a tatsu, right? You want to push "mk+fk" at the same time, do it right after Akuma lets out his grunt after the lk tatsu. You need to do it a tick earlier than you visually think. I can't really describe it better than that.

If you're talking about plinking then it should look like this on screen

HK
MK HK

You see that and you'll know you successfully plink'd HK.

As for Akuma sweeping after the tatsu. The aerial one he can sweep everybody of course. But when he hits the grounded tatsu, he can only sweep 25 of the 39 characters in this game. I don't know everybody, but definitely don't try to tatsu sweep Ken, Ryu, Evil Ryu, and the twins because they fall too fast.

Hinomura

stn and Rice-Eater thanks you too!

It's interesting, but for me it's very hard offline and pratically impossible to perform while playing online - sometimes online I can't even FADC properly, oh my, sometimes I fail hard with Ultras and Supers, and I miss easy combo and special moves too :/

I know it's just me, since equally lagged opponents perform beautifully pretty anything they know, eek, they perform so good their combos that the scaled damage becomes zero after their thousandth sequential hit.

Sigh.

What is it with me and wanting to play these characters with such low HP. Oh well. Guess I like the risk and it feels like I can make less mistakes so I want to make my gameplay count.

Anyway, so here's my situation. I've been a long time Akuma player (since those Alpha days) and I generally stick with my characters for better or worse.. but after a rough night I just picked up Evil Ryu for the first time since... Alpha 2. So since he lacks a challenge mode, is there any resources or players that can be recommended?

Sweet. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Should give me a good deal to go off of and study up on. See if I'm doing anything remotely right and what potential the character really has.

Dude, really? 3000+ PP, 10,000+ BP, NeoGAF's very own _______.

I beat Infiltration at Canada Cup(not with my main though) and I gets no respects ats allz :*(

LOL

I had a feeling you were hinting at that. Also helped your avatar gave it a hint. Got some more stuff to check out also.

Edit: Also, do you have a personal recommendation of the Ultra? As it stands I'm really preferring the second one for the damage and the anti-air. (Played a Bison/Vega who did that one where they come leaping from the air.. countered with that and felt oh so good.)

Edit: Also, do you have a personal recommendation of the Ultra? As it stands I'm really preferring the second one for the damage and the anti-air. (Played a Bison/Vega who did that one where they come leaping from the air.. countered with that and felt oh so good.)

For juggles, U1 barely does more damage than U2. After focus crumple, U2 barely does more damage than fully charged U1. Neither are really superior to the other, I'd say it depends on the match up actually. So U1 is great for chasing down whiffed specials like Cammy or Adon's DP where they go so far forward. So I would choose it for match ups like that. For the rest I prefer U2 because it has great range as a anti air and does much more damage when punishing your opponent after stuff like blocked Ultras.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Alucard is a good U.S Evil Ryu player. Probably the best. Recently won an STL tourney with German Luger and a few other big online names there.

Mœbius

stn and Rice-Eater thanks you too!

It's interesting, but for me it's very hard offline and pratically impossible to perform while playing online - sometimes online I can't even FADC properly, oh my, sometimes I fail hard with Ultras and Supers, and I miss easy combo and special moves too :/

I know it's just me, since equally lagged opponents perform beautifully pretty anything they know, eek, they perform so good their combos that the scaled damage becomes zero after their thousandth sequential hit.
As others have said plink it with MK - I usually hit HK just a millisecond before MK. Also, don't do it too quickly after the tatsu motion (i.e. not instantly afterwards); when I first learned it that caught me off guard... you've actually got more time than you think to connect it.

Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually. :)

Oh and as Rice mentioned it doesn't work on quite a few characters - as well as the ones he mentioned it also doesn't work on any of the Third Strike characters (Ibuki, Makoto, Dudley), as well as Bison, Gen, Juri, Rufus, and Blanka i think. It's possible with Abel but it's very situational (i.e. depends on the combo you've used) and the timing is really strict.

Hinomura

As others have said plink it with MK - I usually hit HK just a millisecond before MK. Also, don't do it too quickly after the tatsu motion (i.e. not instantly afterwards); when I first learned it that caught me off guard... you've actually got more time than you think to connect it.

Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually. :)

Oh and as Rice mentioned it doesn't work on quite a few characters - as well as the ones he mentioned it also doesn't work on any of the Third Strike characters (Ibuki, Makoto, Dudley), as well as Bison, Gen, Juri, Rufus, and Blanka i think. It's possible with Abel but it's very situational (i.e. depends on the combo you've used) and the timing is really strict.
Thanks, I'll practice it a bit, even if I doubt I'll try it very often online.

Btw I'm dropping Ultra 1, in a few minutes I'll start practicing a few Ultra 2 setups. Aside from crossup wake (hoping my opponents whiff something on wake), it's so hard to connect with Ultra 1, pratically it's just a "punish ultra".

Furthmore I've to better mix up my offensive combos (ie FAdashcancelling hadoken instead of the usual shoryuken to prolong the combo).

And, I must guard more. Even with not so well prepared opponents, most of the times I win is with a D or even worst with an E rank in defense.

Hey Street Fighter-GAF, having just been approved to post on here, I thought I would post here. I play on PSN, trying out Fei Long to use for my main (I also play a scrubby Mike Ross-esque Honda) and want to try and get better for occasional WNF's and for when I go to Evo this year. If anyone ever wants an online punching bag, just hit me up, I'll be glad to play anyone! :)

I finally have internet in my new apartment. Haven't played SF for almost 6 months now. Been trying to get back into it now. Anyone want to add me? Jenova777 (xbl) :)

Hey Street Fighter-GAF, having just been approved to post on here, I thought I would post here. I play on PSN, trying out Fei Long to use for my main (I also play a scrubby Mike Ross-esque Honda) and want to try and get better for occasional WNF's and for when I go to Evo this year. If anyone ever wants an online punching bag, just hit me up, I'll be glad to play anyone! :)

Add me. PSN: Solidgear91

Does anyone have any tips for keeping my combos crisp online? I can't do this for the life of me.

You just have to keep practicing your combos in training mode. Be sure you break your combo into pieces, and practice that piece until you have it down. Then practice the other pieces of the combo and then practice the full combo.

For example with Ryu you have his cr. mp, cr. mp, cr. hk combo. This combo consists of two links. The first link is the cr. mp, cr. mp. You will want to practice this first piece of the combo. The second piece you will want to practice is the cr. mp, cr. hk. After you have those links down, you can start practicing the full combo. With repetitions, I usually do 50 (breaking it down to 5 sets of 10 reps). So once you hit your first set of 10, you reset it and do your next set of 10, until you hit 50. Then you should practice those combos on the CPU and online. Just comes with time and practice.

Westlo

any tips for fighting cammy? in general feels like she can wiggle around doing whatever the hell she wants

Don't quick rise after getting hit by spiral arrow combo Enders.

Eating a throw >>>> eating a 300+ dmg combo because you crouch teched and got hit by ex tkcs.

She has no over head.

xCobalt

Don't quick rise after getting hit by spiral arrow combo Enders.

Eating a throw >>>> eating a 300+ dmg combo because you crouch teched and got hit by ex tkcs.

She has no over head.

You have to vary your timing on your wakeup to keep her guessing as well. In the corner, cammy has safe jump setups regardless of whether you quick rise or not.

Eating a throw is not really that great of advice considering she has unblockables on nearly half the cast and ambiguous crossups on the rest if she lands a throw.

Personally, I can't offer too much advice since I have a lot of trouble with this match up. Just know that you don't have to crouch tech a lot against her. Her throw range is pretty small so if she attempts a block string, it'll push her out. You do have to be weary of tick throws and dash up throws though.

Don't try and challenge her EX cannon strike with normal moves as she will probably stuff you most of the time. You can anti air her regular cannon strikes but most good players don't use this unless its part of a setup. You can anti air her if she attempts an EX cannon strike but you have to react to her jump rather than the move. If it's done too late, you'll get hit.

It's easier said than done but you can't let her bully you. You need to learn the tendencies of the cammy player you're up against. For example, when she does cannon spike fadc forward, what does she mostly do? She's -1 after the dash so if the player attempts to apply more pressure with a block string, you can counter hit her if you have a 3 frame move.

Mœbius

Thanks, I'll practice it a bit, even if I doubt I'll try it very often online.

Btw I'm dropping Ultra 1, in a few minutes I'll start practicing a few Ultra 2 setups. Aside from crossup wake (hoping my opponents whiff something on wake), it's so hard to connect with Ultra 1, pratically it's just a "punish ultra".
You should definitely try to incorporate the sweep into your game more often if you want to play a vortex / mix-up heavy style of Akuma.

As for Ultra choice, be flexible and pick the right ultra for the match-up. Without going into option selects yet... Aside from its normal uses, Ultra 2 is a pretty good counter ultra against other ultras; but I find Ultra 1 is better as an anti-air. The key is to make sure you're doing the buffered into normals version (HK or MK with LP for anti-airs). Doing it this way lowers your hurtbox for anti-airs and is also useful as a punish when the opponent FADCs or does a high hitting / off the ground attack (like Sagat's Tiger Knee).

Oh my you have to be SO fast inputting HP > Teleport > Ultra2 with Akuma that my thumb is crying!
Try the shortcut input for this... after FP or MK, quarter circle up forward KKK will give you teleport and instant up KKK will cancel into ultra.

Good to see that people still post in this thread, after so many years. Can't wait to see they hype train if and when the next installment from this franchise drops.

I've got so much to catch up on. 'Missed the the 25th anniversary tourneys and SCR. Has it just been Infiltration domination?

Top Bottom