• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok guys I made a couple year switch from Balrog to Cammy. She's way different then I'm used to but I've made it work. The main thing I'm noticing is trying to pull off a QCF and getting a SRK motion in critical moments (I think I have to switch my Square gate to Octo for that one) and dealing with the crouch. I swear since I started playing Cammy, everyone turns into a turtle against me and waits for me to throw out a move for the punish. I would think in this situation, you would want to throw out a frame trap to bait the poke and then punish but it seems I can't do anything. Then I start getting frustrated while the person is just turtling in the corner. It's very disheartening. I'm trying to get somewhat decent before Winter Brawl but at the rate I'm going I might just skip WB for Final Round or Civil War 5 here in Virginia.

/rant

Hey guys, I'm potentially going to be teaching a friend SF4 in the coming days (I'll be helping him learn Marvel as his primary game though). If I do teach him AE, should he stick with Ryu as his character at first until he gets mechanics down, or should he stick with a character he wants to play?

Also, I'm having trouble deciding my own character to play. I'm looking between Fei Long, Sagat, and Hakan, and I'm not even really sure of what type of playstyle I have in fighting games in general, which is leaving me unsure of who to play... I know this is a more vague question, but any advice on who I should pick up?
I kind of want to pick up Hakan because of what I've seen Infiltration do with him.

Edgeward

You should play whatever character you want to play. Everyone has different tools that they must learn to use and weaknesses to overcome and learning someone who doesn't have what the character you want has is odd.

alstein

Hey guys, I'm potentially going to be teaching a friend SF4 in the coming days (I'll be helping him learn Marvel as his primary game though). If I do teach him AE, should he stick with Ryu as his character at first until he gets mechanics down, or should he stick with a character he wants to play?

Also, I'm having trouble deciding my own character to play. I'm looking between Fei Long, Sagat, and Hakan, and I'm not even really sure of what type of playstyle I have in fighting games in general, which is leaving me unsure of who to play... I know this is a more vague question, but any advice on who I should pick up?
I kind of want to pick up Hakan because of what I've seen Infiltration do with him.

It depends what character he wants to play.

Also, don't judge on what a top player does with a character, it will be ages before you can do that. Find something that works for you. Most games I just mess around until something clicks, even if it's bottom tier.

I'm not sure what character my friend wants to play yet.

And as for me, those really are just the three characters I'm most interested, though out of all of them I have the most experience with Fei Long (even though I am a scrub since I'm a Marvel minion).

The only reason I even said Ryu in the first place is that's just what I've heard from random people as the 'starter character' to use while you learn everything.

AC!D

Playing now with Kstoute. Seems to be a healthy amount of people playing this morning.

Now this is more like it. Fits my color scheme better.

8457497924_45d8c8a532_b.jpg

Hi there, Kadey.

Could you let me know the make/model# of the stick and buttons you've put on your SFxTekken stick please?

Thanks very much

SUPARSTARX

Playing Tekken has improved my footsies in this game so much. My god.

The amount of whiff punish I received in that game has been a rude awakening to how poor my footsies were in SF lol. Tekken defininitely help in some vague ways. I don't see enough of it happening in SF, at least you don't see them often enough with normals but rather specials.

Kioshen

Kio, replaced the stick on my Brawl with a Sanwa JLF. Definite improvement. Also got those silenced Sanwas and it's crazy how much less noise they make. Your wife would love them. Downside is it takes getting used to. No clacking throws off my timing to a degree, and the compression is less, so it can feel like regular buttons when they tend to stick. It's kinda weird, but you get used to it.

Wow do they feel mushy the first time you play on them. It's a definite improvement sound wise but I feel like I play on small pillows. Too bad we weren't able to spar tonight.

cackhyena

I was just thinking as I picked up my stick tonight how I haven't even noticed how used to them I am now. They feel super weird at first, but trust me, they grow on you. Yeah, bummer about the connection. Usually we're good. Next time hopefully. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Didn't see it till I got back home. Had to make a run to town as soon as I turned on my Xbox.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hi there, Kadey.

Could you let me know the make/model# of the stick and buttons you've put on your SFxTekken stick please?

Thanks very much

Go to Focus Attack. They are all Sanwa parts. It's easy to locate them since the selection isn't all that vast.

I just pre-registered for Final Round, only entered SF4 as that's the only one I'm playing. I work Sundays so I'll only be there Friday since that's SF4's day. My last big tournament was EVO 2011, I was one win away from playing Mago. So I'm hoping a bunch of internationals show up at Final Round and hopefully I can get a crack at one of them. But I'll be sticking with Evil Ryu as usual and I have some tricks that will hopefully allow me to gimmick out a couple of wins that I don't deserve. But yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I hope to see some of you guys there. Let me know if any of you guys are going and want to do a meet up.

Minah

Neo Member
i'm actually so fucking salty when zangief gets ahold of me when i play ryu because i'm ass at defending against him and he promptly 100-0s me

i'm actually so fucking salty when zangief gets ahold of me when i play ryu because i'm ass at defending against him and he promptly 100-0s me

Same here, I lose to Gief's around my level or higher all the time. They get close to me and I start getting SPD's left and right. And you can never jump at them because they have a brain dead easy anti air. I wish they would give Lariat invincibility and change it to a command move. Lets see Gief players try to clutch out anti airs on reaction. Oh well, it can't be helped, just have to get better at the match up or play a very lame Seth. I really missed the old air tatsu from Vanilla and Super, it made this match so much easier.

LakeEarth

I mysteriously lost ~500 points on PSN when I went to play last night. I know I left the game with ~2100bp, and came back a few days later with 1600bp. Not that points matter, but I wonder why this happened.

udivision

Can someone explain this to me?
I haven't been playing SSF4 as long as most so that might explain my ignorance, but are you supposed to assume that people will always hit their links? Whenever someone goes into a link combo, my reaction is typically to dp (or in some cases super/utlra) especially if my health is low anyway, and if they aren't wary of me doing so yet. I guess blocking is the smart thing to do, but it's not like those links easily punishable anyway. Or is it just people are mad about loosing to a seemingly "random" thing like that?

It's your call, man. Either you respect your opponent to hit their links, or you mash that DP and put it on your opponent to hit dem links. Depoends on the level of your opponent of course. A keen opponent will see when someone's trying to mash through links and bait out a DP.

udivision

Better opponents tend to notice after a few times and then stop finishing their links like you say, but since I notice and stop doing it which leads to them awkwardly dropping a few combos and both of us standing there. Idk, I prefer introducing that mind game even if it's jsut one or two instances where it comes into play rather than always taking it.

I wish we had a DP to mash out.

I never go online without one.

MIMIC

Banned
Sooooo.....I was having my way with the No. 11 Fuerte with MY Fuerte.

I always knew I could crack the top 10 (maybe top 5 ^_^) with my Fuerte if I wanted too. But I don't have the patience to grind through ranked matches.

Can someone explain this to me?
I haven't been playing SSF4 as long as most so that might explain my ignorance, but are you supposed to assume that people will always hit their links? Whenever someone goes into a link combo, my reaction is typically to dp (or in some cases super/utlra) especially if my health is low anyway, and if they aren't wary of me doing so yet. I guess blocking is the smart thing to do, but it's not like those links easily punishable anyway. Or is it just people are mad about loosing to a seemingly "random" thing like that?

A good player catches on to someone mashing during a link attempt (or ANYTHING, for that matter). This guy I was playing would always mash during my link attempts, so I would do 2 quick pokes, then nothing....and of course, out comes his DP, which I punished.

Adapt, adapt, adapt :)

Whenever I play as Ryu, I typically don't mash during links (because I figure that people will bait out a mash). I'm just usually hitting c.LP or trying to tech.

I love it when people catch on to my DP mashing and then try to bait me next time. They'll just do a jump in and block or maybe a jump in and a couple of light attacks and block. Then I go for the throw since they're not tech'ing or anything for fear of getting blown up for it. Then the mind game starts, will this guy mash or not?

alstein

Sooooo.....I was having my way with the No. 11 Fuerte with MY Fuerte.

I always knew I could crack the top 10 (maybe top 5 ^_^) with my Fuerte if I wanted too. But I don't have the patience to grind through ranked matches.

A good player catches on to someone mashing during a link attempt (or ANYTHING, for that matter). This guy I was playing would always mash during my link attempts, so I would do 2 quick pokes, then nothing....and of course, out comes his DP, which I punished.

Adapt, adapt, adapt :)

Whenever I play as Ryu, I typically don't mash during links (because I figure that people will bait out a mash). I'm just usually hitting c.LP or trying to tech.

Or they autofire it. That's especially common on GFWL.

custom alts dont cause a crash. it acts as if you didnt have the dlc and reverts to a default costume if your opponent doesnt have that costume installed.

LakeEarth

Better opponents tend to notice after a few times and then stop finishing their links like you say, but since I notice and stop doing it which leads to them awkwardly dropping a few combos and both of us standing there. Idk, I prefer introducing that mind game even if it's jsut one or two instances where it comes into play rather than always taking it.
The worst is intending to bait the DP, but screwing up an earlier link and getting hit with it. Like you intend to jab twice and bait, but accidentally leave a gap between the first two and get hit.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes it does.

Certain custom alts are only meant to be placed in the spot they were made for. For example. Bison's Vader costume can only be used for the original costume spot, if you put it in alts 1-3 folders, your game is going to crash any time those spots are used in game. As for some costumes themselves, some are buggy to the point where you can't use any other colors. Using the same example here. The very first version of the Vader costume can only be used with the first color, if you used the other 9 colors, the game will crash. And this also applies when your opponents pick those colors or alts. Last night, Solid did pick Bison and his original costume. If he picked any color other than the the first one, that explains it.

Since I was a newbie, I put a ton of alts in places where they shouldn't be hence whenever certain colors or alts are used for various characters, my game just shuts off by itself.

But last night I spent a great deal making sure to reinstall and go through every character putting the alts I want in the exact spots they are supposed to be in. My game should be fine now.

Minah

Neo Member
So tonight I was playing like trash as Akuma and Ryu (I was playing with a friend who is arguably much better than I am, because I'm pretty fucking awful, like sub 1k pp awful)

Then I switched to Juri and just divekicked over and over again and kept on winning.

I was wondering what sort of anti-airs that Akuma and Ryu have that would completely shit on Juri's divekick outside of a Shoryuken (I whiff those a lot)

Edgeward

cr hp for both should work. They aren't as fast though, obviously.

Tried it out with Akuma. Doesn't work most of the time. better off just learning to dp with lp. And even then it will just trade most times unless you are under her.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just block and punish. Trying to anti air it is more of a hassle.

Another view of the fighstick. It's not complete. I'm going to add and take away. Hopefully the rest of it comes quickly.

What do you think? Should I leave the blue center plate or replace it with a white one? I'm going to add sides that are white. Already ordered them.

8484258463_945155ae71_c.jpg

So tonight I was playing like trash as Akuma and Ryu (I was playing with a friend who is arguably much better than I am, because I'm pretty fucking awful, like sub 1k pp awful)

Then I switched to Juri and just divekicked over and over again and kept on winning.

I was wondering what sort of anti-airs that Akuma and Ryu have that would completely shit on Juri's divekick outside of a Shoryuken (I whiff those a lot)

I main Evil Ryu, before I main'd Ryu and Ken so I have experience with this. I've tried cr. HP against Juri's dive kick, I found myself losing that encounter most of the time. I don't know if it's me or Juri's dive kick just has more priority. But I gave up trying to do that a long time ago, now I'll go to DP or just block if she jumps in the air. It's just extremely annoying though since she can dive kick from neutral jump. So unless you have good reactions(which I don't), you'll find yourself DP'ing as a guess and you can get blown up for that or blocking all the time which tells your opponent they can spam it as much as they want(I think she can do a few of them safely).

Kioshen

Unless it's spaced properly it's unsafe on block in 2012. If you block it anywhere above knee height like a dive kick you can punish it with a standard hit confirmed bnb. Don't bother thinking about AA that move. It's not worth it when you can just do more damage letting her land next to you.

@Kadey

I'd try replacing it with a white one to make it blend a little more. The blue plate screams look at me instead of letting the artwork shine.

Top Bottom