• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

LakeEarth

Why do all the better, high ranked players show up late when my reactions and decision making are on the slow end? I swear, I never see a 3000+ on PSN before midnight EST.

cackhyena

I think I need to go into ranked and get to about 2500pp just to have higher than thou dicks stay in my endless lobby. 1500 isn't enough, I guess. I just never bother with ranked anymore. What's funny is I rarely see these 3,000 and up pp players doing that much better against me than the 1,000 players.

I think I need to go into ranked and get to about 2500pp just to have higher than thou dicks stay in my endless lobby. 1500 isn't enough, I guess. I just never bother with ranked anymore. What's funny is I rarely see these 3,000 and up pp players doing that much better against me than the 1,000 players.

It seems the same way when you have 3000pp+. Most players see the PP (in Endless) and leave although some stay and just want to play some matches.

Do you play on PSN, 3sexy or PC?

Kioshen

I honestly don't bother with player matches. I just go into arcade mode, set up ranked mode auto lobby and then 95% I don't even begin the match against the CPU that I get matched up. Some people seek me up for runbacks but I don't mind either way.

I wish I could run it back against people that mop the floor with me but meh I'll get somebody good soon enough to play against later on. Only thing that bothers me is that I still get people in the 1300-1500pp range that yolo it out. It irks me to no end because I lost to them with their silly shenanigans and bump their pp. Can't wait to lose some bad habits and bait people better.

So, I just got this for free through PSN+ but I haven't played it since Super was first released. I used to main Ryu and was pretty decent with him (63% of the time i won!). What should I read if I wanted to catch up and start getting into AE edition? My saturn usb pad is ready...

cackhyena

It seems the same way when you have 3000pp+. Most players see the PP (in Endless) and leave although some stay and just want to play some matches.

Do you play on PSN, 3sexy or PC?

3sexy. Used to PSN it, but I can't stand the connection lag I get on there. You and I have played a couple times before. Can't remember if it was chance meeting or in Kadey's lobby. Now if you'd be so kind as to only upload Ibuki replays on YT for a while that'd be great.

@ Kio

I just like playing Endless more because it seems it's where I get more tolerance for playing best of fives. If we are going to play again and again, I'd rather get more time sparring than having to do char select and all that. And yeah, the people who "one and done" you, whether they win or lose irk me.

Kioshen

@ Kio

I just like playing Endless more because it seems it's where I get more tolerance for playing best of fives. If we are going to play again and again, I'd rather get more time sparring than having to do char select and all that. And yeah, the people who "one and done" you, whether they win or lose irk me.

You should play marvel 3 then, in player matches you get a rematch option. I honestly don't like playing best of fives because meter management is all out of whack. It's not saying much from the guy that dies very often with a full bar of butter but still it's just weird to me.

@Freedom

If you can tolerate fast talking this video gets a brief overlook to get started. Not much as changed between Super and 2012. He got his cr.MK back, damage buff on fbs and damage buff on fierce srk but not cancellable anymore.

I don't like one and done's, but what I hate more are the "win and run" kind of guys. The dudes who may beat you once and then refuse a rematch. Or the guy who lost to you and come back for a rematch only to win the 2nd match(or maybe it takes more than 1 rematch) and then never return again. I know some guys have expressed a lack of interest in playing the same guy twice, but most of these dudes are just flat out pussies who want the last laugh. I'd have no problem if they at least beat me 2-0 or 2-1 and then start refusing rematches. This is something that still bugs me to this day when I play ranked online and run into guys like this.

But on a lighter note, I went digging through some of my boxes and found my old PC case for SF4. The thing is I know where the game disc is, but I thought I threw away the box with the key a long time ago. But I found it and installed it and man it feels good, well not yet anyways, gotta go through the painstaking process of unlocking the other 9 characters in this game first. But once I do that I can cherish it all over again, trade Ultra's, Super/Ultra traps, tiger knee lockdown, all dat damage, and more. Who's with me..........guys?

xCobalt

I definitely prefer playing Endless than Ranked. There are a few characters where I lack match up experience and in endless, you get a chance to play a lot more matches against that character. Often times, I don't feel like I'm learning anything when playing ranked.

MIMIC

Banned
I don't like one and done's, but what I hate more are the "win and run" kind of guys. The dudes who may beat you once and then refuse a rematch. Or the guy who lost to you and come back for a rematch only to win the 2nd match(or maybe it takes more than 1 rematch) and then never return again. I know some guys have expressed a lack of interest in playing the same guy twice, but most of these dudes are just flat out pussies who want the last laugh. I'd have no problem if they at least beat me 2-0 or 2-1 and then start refusing rematches. This is something that still bugs me to this day when I play ranked online and run into guys like this.

Oh God, this.

Someone did this to me in vanilla (when I sucked) and I found him in AE2012, destroyed his ass, left the lobby AND trolled him in a message ^_^

But I've gotten used to it; I've accepted the fact that I WILL lose once in a while and people WILL leave after they get that one win. It's still annoying but I'm not quite AS annoyed by it anymore.

....but then there's just that one match that burns you up inside that makes you want to scream! lol

Wait, let me get this straight. This guy did this to you in Vanilla and it lit a fire in your ass and you carried this rage with you all this time? You then went on some 2-3 year search for revenge but never found him again in Vanilla, Super, or AE. Then when AE 2012 rolled around you finally found the man who killed your father, avenged your loss by giving him a humiliating defeat and kicked him while he was down with a troll message?

I approve

owUSB.gif

jlai

But on a lighter note, I went digging through some of my boxes and found my old PC case for SF4. The thing is I know where the game disc is, but I thought I threw away the box with the key a long time ago. But I found it and installed it and man it feels good, well not yet anyways, gotta go through the painstaking process of unlocking the other 9 characters in this game first. But once I do that I can cherish it all over again, trade Ultra's, Super/Ultra traps, tiger knee lockdown, all dat damage, and more. Who's with me..........guys?

lets play vanilla sf4 pc!

cackhyena

You should play marvel 3 then, in player matches you get a rematch option. I honestly don't like playing best of fives because meter management is all out of whack. .
I'd just rather have more time playing the game than setting up for it. Best of 3 is for ranked for me only. Never worried about meter management like that.

Dat Gat, LOOK AT DAT DAMAGE!!!

I dare you to play jlai in Vanilla and pick dat Gat. It's like Xmas for jlai.

akuma roundhouse loops > dat gat!

If I ever pick Sagat against you in Vanilla again, I'll have my character select on someone else and then rush over there at the very last second so you won't see it coming. That shit still hurts man.

Hyper Street Fighter 4, play every version of every character. Come on Capcom, do it.

jlai

If I ever pick Sagat against you in Vanilla again, I'll have my character select on someone else and then rush over there at the very last second so you won't see it coming. That shit still hurts man.

Hyper Street Fighter 4, play every version of every character. Come on Capcom, do it.

Haha, forgot about all the dumb stuff and other random things that were in vanilla - smileys in the lobby, post KO bonus hit, seth stretchy arms and ultra trap, ryu super trap, sagat far s.lk being special cancelable (and of course his DP dmg), fei chicken wing cross up, cammy TKCS, gen s.mk xx hands loop, rufus ex snake strike dmg, gief ex hands knocking down, akuma minimal recovery on demon flip grab and of course his roundhouse loop

Also forgot how much damage raw ultras did. Some of the fully stocked ones did 60% easily. Everyone seemed to be getting stunned a lot quicker too

Was fun to go back in time though

A few things that Jlai hit me with that I forgot about

-Fei Long chicken wing cross ups: I got hit by this every time
-Long ass Gen hand combos: This shit was so fucking annoying

I'm sure their is more, but those two stuck out the most. I really wanted to land a trade Ultra but I never got myself in position to do it with Ryu. Partly because of my sad reactions and partly because jlai didn't jump at me much.

LakeEarth

Also forgot how much damage raw ultras did. Some of the fully stocked ones did 60% easily. Everyone seemed to be getting stunned a lot quicker too
This and Seth had super low life. I have a replay where I'm playing Abel where I won, only landing 2 moves:
- Seth was keeping me out and was running a perfect, and I was nearly dead (level 2 ultra stocked)
- I block an SRK, he FADC cancels to me, and I land a fierce tornado throw (predicting his command throw)
- he teleports away, and throws a fireball
- RWRWRWRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA punch punch kick punch punch punch kick (wind noises) ...

KO

If I finished someone with a DP(whether I mashed or not), I always FADC if I had meter just to show them I could do it safely even though many times I committed to a DP without FADC in mind. I remember a lot of my opponents copied me in the 2nd round if I won doing this in the 1st round lol. But yeah, I kind of miss that even though it irked me to see my opponents do it to me after they the round. Jlai went nuts pressing buttons everytime he finished me off. He must have really missed it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Haha, forgot about all the dumb stuff and other random things that were in vanilla - smileys in the lobby, post KO bonus hit, seth stretchy arms and ultra trap, ryu super trap, sagat far s.lk being special cancelable (and of course his DP dmg), fei chicken wing cross up, cammy TKCS, gen s.mk xx hands loop, rufus ex snake strike dmg, gief ex hands knocking down, akuma minimal recovery on demon flip grab and of course his roundhouse loop

Was fun to go back in time though

Dat invincible ex oga.

Unblockable ultras were fun. Too bad those were discovered so late in vanilla's life cycle.

Kind of a shame that vanilla didn't get more time than it did. Would've been interesting to see how things panned out. Akuma would've been considered the best character in the game no question if things had played out a bit longer. Cammy would've been up there too, but her crossup lk kinda sucks in vanilla. But I guess that matters less when you have unblockables and shit.

jlai

If I finished someone with a DP(whether I mashed or not), I always FADC if I had meter just to show them I could do it safely even though many times I committed to a DP without FADC in mind. I remember a lot of my opponents copied me in the 2nd round if I won doing this in the 1st round lol. But yeah, I kind of miss that even though it irked me to see my opponents do it to me after they the round. Jlai went nuts pressing buttons everytime he finished me off. He must have really missed it.

Well that's partly because I just like to press buttons all day every day

Hinomura

So, dear beat'em up gaffers...

Once I considered myself a pretty good "fighter" (double perfects VS local good fighters in SFA2, 61 consecutive wins in a row with Virtua Fighter before abandoning the game in the arcades - yep no losses), but nowadays it's clear I'm very far from it.

My main is Akuma, which is pretty problematic himself - unhuman to link combo or worst ultra2 online, very low life, etc. But a lot of times I lose to ppl I think I should win without any hassle. What is the matter? Being almost 40 y/o? Lacking practice?

:(

And please, train with me, I can't weight my ineptness on a single excellent player alone! :) (again, you know who you are, and again, thanks!!!! :)))

PC XBLA MrYo74

Hinomura

The main question I pose myslef is: "what about changing character to someone easier to play?" But I'm so stubborn!

Btw I hope anyone plays with me has fun!!! :)

(I've so much fun, even if I'm losing!!! :) I'm addictedt! :))

Oh, by the way... teleport cancel is useful just for ultra2 - and that's almost impossible - to me - using it online, but masters use massive combo even ultra lagged.... have I to rely to inpunt the combo with "no lag" timing and hope it works, or is it there something?

Before I've played with a brazilian player... the second half of our match became ultralagged.... since I was trying to crouch-mk, tatsu-lk, light shoryuken, I've inputted a lot of shoryukens... and the game performed something similar to 10 shoryukens (while atrociously lagging)... is this a factor to consider online? Sometimes I try to lure the enemy with some moves... but it happens cpu think I'm going for ultra 1 (and I'm serious, I've never inputted it, may some shortcut had its priority?).

At least, I know playing a phisical VS is a different story from an online VS, but I don't know - cause of my ignorance - how much does it matter.

Off topic: I'm not following Sojy conference, but I really do hope they're pushing japanese gaming, since this generation I had to play just a few games I liked on console (multi on PC, obviously) - again sorry for OT. Mods please, spare me!!! (I love you all!!!)

alstein

So, dear beat'em up gaffers...

Once I considered myself a pretty good "fighter" (double perfects VS local good fighters in SFA2, 61 consecutive wins in a row with Virtua Fighter before abandoning the game in the arcades - yep no losses), but nowadays it's clear I'm very far from it.

My main is Akuma, which is pretty problematic himself - unhuman to link combo or worst ultra2 online, very low life, etc. But a lot of times I lose to ppl I think I should win without any hassle. What is the matter? Being almost 40 y/o? Lacking practice?

:(

And please, train with me, I can't weight my ineptness on a single excellent player alone! :) (again, you know who you are, and again, thanks!!!! :)))

PC XBLA MrYo74

Valle's in his 40s. Plague from VFDC is in his 40s. It's doable, though you do have a disadvantage when it comes to reflexes which means you have to out-smart folks more.
Oh, and get VF5FS for your console, it's not the best VF but it's still pretty good.

Hinomura

Thank you alstein!

But ... I don't know... reflexes seem to be so slow compared to youth... I've to play everything beforehand... and I'm not so accurate :S (ie I've never managed to combo Akuma Ultra 2 online... NEVER!!!!)... even a simple air hadoken+ midsweep + little shoryu + fadc + antything else is really something else for me :/

I've just played with one of most powerful gaffers, which destroied me :/ I'm happy since I'd fun, but seems I'm not upgrading at all :/

alstein

Thank you alstein!

But ... I don't know... reflexes seem to be so slow compared to youth... I've to play everything beforehand... and I'm not so accurate :S (ie I've never managed to combo Akuma Ultra 2 online... NEVER!!!!)... even a simple air hadoken+ midsweep + little shoryu + fadc + antything else is really something else for me :/

I've just played with one of most powerful gaffers, which destroied me :/ I'm happy since I'd fun, but seems I'm not upgrading at all :/

I'm one of the slowest reflexes/worst execution guy out there, and I can hold my own against most folks on this site (less so in SF, because I never got serious about learning the game) . Work on the other areas of your game. Guessing there are things mentally you do that you could improve on. Also, maybe consider another character.

LakeEarth

So what's the best random ultra in the game (non-utility of course)? My money is on Dudley's corkscrew cross. Not only does has the total startup invulnerability, it keeps active for quite a while. Someone online did it randomly, I was in the air with Ryu (not even at the peak of my jump yet), EX hurricane kick to keep myself in the air longer, and still got hit when I came down.

Maybe Cody's second ultra because it does so much chip, and most characters can't beat it or avoid it without meter. Randomly throwing out there can actually be the correct option to take.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
How does one get better at this game?

I'm literally getting rolled and cannot stop sucking dicks.

Play with people who are telling you what you're doing wrong.

I can play some games with you sometime if you want if you're on 360 or PC. GT: NAH Fragment

Kioshen

Play with people who are telling you what you're doing wrong.

I can play some games with you sometime if you want if you're on 360 or PC. GT: NAH Fragment

Last time we played in the ranbats you ran a truck over me but if you don't mind I'd like to play a couple of games against you.

Last time we played in the ranbats you ran a truck over me but if you don't mind I'd like to play a couple of games against you.

i know youve got marvel, but do you have this on ps3? i havent played this in a while but i wouldnt mind getting some games in sometime.

Kioshen

i know youve got marvel, but do you have this on ps3? i havent played this in a while but i wouldnt mind getting some games in sometime.

I do have it for sure. If you see my account online and not playing Harry Potter stuff I'm open for matches because it'll actually be me behind the controller !

FinKL

Should I hold my breath for this game to be on sale for Steam? I missed the chance when it was on sale during that 1 day of Xmas steam sale. I said I would buy it if the deal rolled around again, but it didn't :(

I have all the fighters on 360, but I'm spoiled by my new PC.

LakeEarth

How does one get better at this game?

I'm literally getting rolled and cannot stop sucking dicks.

What's your fighting game background? You got a solid basics of the mechanics of SF4? What's your character, and what's your general gameplan with them?

Number one piece of advice is to watch some high-level matches with your character, have some go-to combos (even simple stuff), and find a training partner that can give you tips real-time.

udivision

I should probably post in this thread more often...

Trying to learn Cammy to add another non-shoto to my secondaries roster. Doing her instant dive kick is kind of interesting on a keyboard. Things were going pretty well until I played against a Honda. I lost about 10 games and won 1... I just didn't know how to get in there without getting owned.

Also, I thought this was kinda funny. I was playing against a Balrog (CPU).
iBoVu8Cj03DRh.gif

Top Bottom